As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choose Your Favorite Animorph in the [Animorphs] Thread

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    You, the Reader
    I could swear there was a YA series about teens with silver blood that had superpowers.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I think I remember that too, something about a city which all the kids are called to but no one else can enter? And I think there were giant aliens?

Damn, maybe that's not it, I can't remember.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Tobias
    Jimothy wrote: »
    animorphs had the most shipper un-friendly ending of any young adult series in recent memory

Tell me about it. The war ends and Peter is still legitimately married to two women! This is never addressed! Who cares about PTSD or war crimes trials, does he choose Eva or Nora?

I loved the part after they get exposed where Marco was just like "Bad news Dad, your second wife is probably being mind controlled by an evil alien, but hey good news, mom's not actually dead! I need go save the world and stuff so you cats just hang out with these giant tree eating monsters. K thx bye"

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Jake Berenson
    Strange Matter had some really cool cover art for its time, and I loved that fact that all the stories took place in the same town. It made it feel like each book was part of a larger narrative, rather than just a one-off like Goosebumps.

I was really bummed when it started to lose its soul, though. I guess the books weren't selling very well and the writers switched up their style to try and keep the series alive.

Both the stories and the covers went from creepy horror like
    518Su0WDJLL.jpg51vNpnTUErL.jpg

to being more comic-book action/adventure like
    51nL-jYh0bL.jpg51KVEN3ZD8L.jpg

I was so pissed.

I know its not Animorphs related, but this is the first chance I've had in like 17 years to mention how much that shit got to me.

That's like... that's like if George R.R. Martin suddenly figured that ASOIAF wasn't sexy enough and decided to make The Winds of Winter a romantic comedy set in outer space.

RT800 on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Rachel
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I went from Animorphs to Star Trek expanded universe novels to Tom Clancy's Op Centre (which I'm aware was ghost-written)

I was into Tom Clancy's NET FORCE which I believe was also ghostwritten
    I also read a bunch of the Net Force books that focused on the kids, but those never pretended that they weren't written by a rotating stable of YA authors

I remember those actually being decent pseudo-cyberpunk adventures

One of the Op Centre pages that still sticks with me was a narration about how the sun is treated differently around the world (in terms of climate and whatnot). It was a neat little metaphor.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    You, the Reader
    remember when they trapped one of them in rat form and abandoned them on an island

fucked up + makes u think

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Tobias
    Beasteh wrote: »
    remember when they trapped one of them in rat form and abandoned them on an island

fucked up + makes u think

ah yes. Poor David. Not that he didn't work very very hard to deserve that.

Still, that was a dark three books.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill
    Aaaand now I'm reading all of these books again

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    You, the Reader
    liwtxKI.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Know what I also remember loving?

Sabriel and Shade's Children.

I ... don't know if I want to return to those ones to see how awful they actually are

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Tobias
    Wow, nobody voted for David, even as a joke.

Animorphs, srs bsns.

I think one of my favorite books was when they got stuck in the time rip in the amazon. And everybody just starts dying and you're like "Oh shit" because surely they wouldn't actually kill anybody, but then you remember that this is fucking Animorphs, if it can go south, it will, and it won't be pretty. And it ends with Jake dying and he comes to right before the mission that first caused all that and is like "How about we get ice cream instead?"

The Ellimest chronicles had some serious fucked up shit. Their world was lost because when they developed the ability to transmit information into space they should their super realistic games of the species cause the extinction of millions of forms of life for amusement. He was violated physically to keep him alive, by an unaging ancient horror so it could continue to violate him mentally because it was bored and lonely. Just, what the fuck.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Cassie
    Artreus wrote: »
    Know what I also remember loving?

Sabriel and Shade's Children.

I ... don't know if I want to return to those ones to see how awful they actually are
    Shade's Children is pretty fucked up.

The Abhorsen Trilogy is amazing and everyone should read it, especially if you like female protagonists in fantasy settings.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I was visiting my parents' house today and went up into the attic to find some of my old books.

I couldn't get to the boxes with all the Animorph books, but I did find the first seven Everworld books. I only read the first 2-3 when I was young, so I may give them another shot.

I found my Strange Matter book (Tune into Terror) as well, but also found a similar book called Programmed for Terror and now I'm not sure if the details I was remembering were from that book or the Strange Matter book.

For a while there I was basically reading every children's horror book I could get a hold of so I probably have several others along the same lines stashed somewhere.

Lars on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Rachel
    did anyone ever figure out what crayak actually looked like

i have a dim memory of a big red eye on top of, like, some stairs?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Jake Berenson
    I read all of the Everworld books. I'm not sure what happened, but it always seemed like that series ended very abruptly.

I remember thinking it was as though K.A. Applegate suddenly got bored with the series and decided to just wrap it up as fast as she could.

I started reading Remnants, but it just didn't appeal to me and I quit around book 3.

RT800 on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    One of the Auxiliary Animorphs (please specify in the comments, thank you)
    I think Crayak was pretty much just that: giant red eye on a stalk with no arms or legs chillin on some stairs aka a Sauron reference

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Marco
    ANI__Ellimist__Crayak____Drode_by_Monster_Man_08.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Rachel
    why were there stairs

the eye i get but what were the stairs about

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Dystopian Universe Melissa Chapman
    he was basically Sauron

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Marco
    The first google image search result for animorphs transformers is this post I made about animorphs transformers
    You want lazy look at the Animorphs Transformers
    180px-Jake.jpg
    I'm just a regular teenager hum de dum dum dum.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    One of the Auxiliary Animorphs (please specify in the comments, thank you)
    Did anyone else play the PC game?

I remember putting up with it because it was an Animorphs PC game, but I vividly remember our being terrible

Also Ax wasn't in it and you couldn't play as Tobias because he was some weird game mechanic instead

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Tobias
    Did anyone else play the PC game?

I remember putting up with it because it was an Animorphs PC game, but I vividly remember our being terrible

Also Ax wasn't in it and you couldn't play as Tobias because he was some weird game mechanic instead

I remember the Animorphs gameboy game.

God that was terrible. Took me far too long to figure out how to do anything with that game and even then, I never got very far into the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Tobias
    agoaj wrote: »

This is completely amazing and I love all the little details, like the Yeerk/Andalite/Pemalite ships and I've always loved the Drode

But what is above Crayak's monitor

• Options
    the animorphs video games were actively shitty

• Options

This is completely amazing and I love all the little details, like the Yeerk/Andalite/Pemalite ships and I've always loved the Drode

looks like a Howler head

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I love that their whole dynamic is two nerds playing a video game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Tobias

looks like a Howler head

Bingo

too small to see the magma skin, but the blue eyes should have registered with me

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Rachel
    I had that exact Animorphs transformer as a kid.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Tobias
    I remember crying pretty hard at the end of the Andalite prequel book. My mom had to console me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Tobias
    do not let this thread die

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Marco
    As someone with only vaugely positive memories of the Animorphs books this thread is amazing.

Just constant oh yeah I kind of remember that with a big does of what the fucking hell.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Tobias
    Today on "Messed Up Stuff From Animorphs:" Remember that time they they discovered Atlantis or something? I think it was #36

And there was an underwater kingdom of blue fish people that had long ago been irradiated and mutated and separated from the rest of the world

But they had to breed with normal humans or their offspring were prone to defects, so they would mate with people they rescued from missing planes and boats, but there hadn't been enough recently and they were dying out

And I'm pretty sure by the end of the book, everyone, even Cassie, agreed that after the war was over they would come back and blow the place up because it was so thoroughly awful?

And the Yeerks had grafted gills onto a Hork-bajir who was dying under Toby and the free Hork-bajir's care because the experiments didn't work as planned

• Options
    Rachel
    most of this stuff i remember but i had completely forgotten about how the animorphs discovered atlantis

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Yeah that was one of those weird one-time plots that was so off the wall that forgetfulness is the easiest option

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Tobias
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    liwtxKI.jpg

I loved this series, way back when.

I don't think I followed it for very long after the point where the setting changed to the post-apocalyptic future and they were fighting evil future mutants that took over.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Rachel
    I feel like Crayak/the Drode were involved in the Atlantis thing, somehow. At least I remember Drode bugging them while they were in a submarine so I figure the two have gotta be related.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Rachel
    i had also forgotten about the existence of the drode

• Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I feel like Crayak/the Drode were involved in the Atlantis thing, somehow. At least I remember Drode bugging them while they were in a submarine so I figure the two have gotta be related.

think that was when someone located the pemalite ship they hid in the ocean and the animorphs had to turn into giant squids to get to it

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Tobias
    JayKaos wrote: »

You're thinking of when they first meet the Drode, they morph into sperm whales and go underwater to the Pemalite ship the Chee had arrived in

And the Pemalites were such a peaceful, trusting race that the password for their ship's computer is just 6 (maybe 7?)

And the Animorphs are all "the Yeerks found us! They're gonna steal all this advanced tech!"

Someone (Cassie?): "But they don't know the password!"

Marco: "The password is a single digit!"

edit: Geebs is right, it was squids. Rachel turns into a squid on the cover. Why do I remember them morphing sperm whales in that book?

Jimothy on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Rachel
    Ah yeah, that sounds familiar now. Whole series kinda blends together in my memory.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code