As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    After playing Roll through the Ages, I'm wondering if there are any dice building games out there that are more complex. In particular the idea of using dice to add a random element to worker placement / resource production seems interesting, and having different types of dice with different values. My initial research turned up Nations, the only problem I have it that it seems to be pretty short.

Troyes maybe?

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Seriously though, if Marvel Dice Masters was done ala Legendary and Quarriors, I'd have bought everything. So sad that Wizkids are douches.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    After playing Roll through the Ages, I'm wondering if there are any dice building games out there that are more complex. In particular the idea of using dice to add a random element to worker placement / resource production seems interesting, and having different types of dice with different values. My initial research turned up Nations, the only problem I have it that it seems to be pretty short.

Troyes maybe?

Troyes isn't a "dice building" game if you're making an analogy to deck building games, but it definitely hits all your other points ('randomized' worker placement and resource production, each color of die represents a different type of worker). So if that's what you seek, then Troyes is what you're looking for. And it has pretty classy art, but I imagine some people might not enjoy it.
    Troyes BGG page

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Seriously though, if Marvel Dice Masters was done ala Legendary and Quarriors, I'd have bought everything. So sad that Wizkids are douches.

I just put some money into boosters and that's the game as far as I'm concerned.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

I just put some money into boosters and that's the game as far as I'm concerned.

My wife and I bought a booster box and the extra stuff we didn't want plus not getting things we did want just reminded me why I stopped buying blind booster games.

• Options

My wife and I bought a booster box and the extra stuff we didn't want plus not getting things we did want just reminded me why I stopped buying blind booster games.

I don't really care what I get, just so long as there are some options.

The extras I just give away or sell.

But you're right - I'd give them more money if they were just doing expansions. Sadly, we are unusual in this respect.

MDM is Mike Elliot, right? The guy makes great games, but he's pretty mercenary. He makes a lot of kid's CCGs cards here in Japan, which is hardly a very nice market (KIDS! BUG YOUR PARENTS SO YOU CAN LEGALLY GAMBLE!). And I will always remember his interview on the Dice Tower, when they asked about him integrating them and mechanics, and he just said something like 'I come up with mechanics, and then we pay someone to do the theme and art'... and Eric and Tom's faint but polite voices trying to hide their pain were just delicious to hear.

Mike Elliot+Wizkids=Non-Right-On-Time.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    I cannot believe that I'm defending a collectible model, but if that model allows us to have Marvel Dice Masters, then so be it. It's pretty wallet-friendly, as collectible models go. If you're willing to put in a bit of time and forego the super rare cards, it can be REALLY cheap. You can get the commons for nothing and most dice for ~25 cents each. In that case, the people who are willing to spend big money to get a complete set are subsidizing the game for everybody else.

And WizKids has also given us Star Trek: Attack Wing and D&D: Attack Wing. These are good games (and I'll have to give a report on D&D: Attack Wing soon, because I'm starting to have a really high opinion of it). These are all good matches between the license and the gameplay.

Now, to be honest, I think that WizKids has done some dumb things. It's not just that they mess up (i.e. with Dice Masters distribution and unavailability), but they don't seem to know how to interface well with the board game community, when bad stuff happens. Did you guys hear about how they managed the selling of limited-availability ST:AW ships at Gen Con last year? A debacle. They didn't even have a booth or an official representative at BGG Con (which was especially frustrating for me because I was demoing their games).

So I guess that's really the point. If you think that "the board game community" is more than just "people who play games," and necessarily includes publishers and designers, then those groups that don't "play nicely" with the rest of the community are kind of placing themselves outside the community. That's probably why some people say, "I don't buy WizKids/Mayday/Sirlin."

And that's a totally understandable sentiment! However, for me, my "gaming community" is mostly my local game group, my friends, and my family. The behavior of the publisher or designer is a distant concern for me. I just want good games, because good games breed more good games. Perhaps that's a bit selfish, but it's how I feel.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Honestly, if I ever get around to reskinning Pandemic: the Cure to Marvel, I'll not miss Dice Masters at all.

Different heroes going to different parts of the city to stop various united villains? Such an easy re-theme!

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm still on a Wizkids boycott until they give me goddamn Crimson Skies using the flight path system.

The old clicky one was actually fairly close, systems-wise. It just used cards instead of the dials for selecting the moves.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I have finally finished my first attempt at a foam core insert, using Wiz War as my trial run.

Behold! (some are a bit fuzzy, but it's late and I don't feel like taking any more pics)
    IMG_3736-e1422257519653.jpg

IMG_3737-e1422257597362.jpg

IMG_3738-e1422257663348.jpg

IMG_3741-e1422257702372.jpg

IMG_3742-e1422257761104.jpg

I had lots of little mishaps, most dealing with the precision of my cuts, and one measurement that was off by a millimeter or two. Also I need to break off an old blade a cut or two sooner. Overall, though, I'm pleased with the results and look forward to tackling another game. One day I'll be able to take on Twilight Imperium, which is currently a mess of baggies, baby food containers, and eight ice cream jars.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Played Fief tonight. Five players; three of whom were new. It was glorious! I was losing terribly (due to a horrible card draw and famine early on) but still felt like I could be a part of the game. Ended up in control of two bishoprics by the end, and caught a player wandering and took over their fief.
    Still took about 3 hours for 5 rounds, but considering my wife and her two sisters were at the table, that's incredible. They love to talk and the game was held up many times as a result. This turned out fine, as my brother-in-law would then ask rule questions. He was really into the game and I wish they were around more often as I think he'd really get into it.
    They all said it was fun and they enjoyed playing. So I'll take that as a win!

Going to do a write up and post it to BGG. Posting about Fief has become my new addiction.

Oh, and mills! They ran out on round two! Couldn't believe it when I handed out the last one. Definitely a resource to keep an eye on.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    With 10 days to go, SJVL hasn't even broken $20K yet. Looks to be officially dead in the water barring a miracle. :\

• Options
    I think I saw somewhere that a crazy percentage of a Kickstarter's funding (like 85-90%) comes from the first two days and the last two days. I don't know how well researched it was though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I think I saw somewhere that a crazy percentage of a Kickstarter's funding (like 85-90%) comes from the first two days and the last two days. I don't know how well researched it was though.

That's what I'm hoping for for Orleans, I would like the wooden bits.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Dark White wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

That's what I'm hoping for for Orleans, I would like the wooden bits.

I think Orleans will make it. SJVL, though? Not hopeful. Only bright side is that they've gut some nice pnp files up, and it'll make me feel less bad about preordering Specter Ops.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    And WizKids has also given us Star Trek: Attack Wing and D&D: Attack Wing. These are good games (and I'll have to give a report on D&D: Attack Wing soon, because I'm starting to have a really high opinion of it). These are all good matches between the license and the gameplay.

Those games use modified mechanics licensed from Fantasy Flight Games, who themselves updated and cleaned up the rules from their WW2 dogfighting game for use with X-Wing Miniatures.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I got Marvel Legendary for Christmas, and I've gotten into it real bad. I'm looking at a custom box insert, sleeves for the cards, etc. It's a lot of fun and all my friends that have tried it have seemed to like it.

• Options
    Has anyone here played Video Game High School? My wife and I just recently watched the show and really enjoyed it, and when my wife saw that Plaid Hat put out a game for it, she lost her shit. It looks like a decent worker placement game with some nice dice rolling added in there. Just curious if its actually a decent game.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    One of my favorite sites for board game reviews is SPACE-BIFF!, and their most recent review is of Video Game High School. Sounds like isn't a particularly mind-blowing game, but enjoyable for fans of the show?

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    One of my favorite sites for board game reviews is SPACE-BIFF!, and their most recent review is of Video Game High School. Sounds like isn't a particularly mind-blowing game, but enjoyable for fans of the show?

Thanks for that link! That's good enough for me. I don't actually have a light worker placement game, and as long as its solid, if not innovative, I'm good with that for a 20-30 minute splash with my wife.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

Thanks for that link! That's good enough for me. I don't actually have a light worker placement game, and as long as its solid, if not innovative, I'm good with that for a 20-30 minute splash with my wife.

:winky:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

I really liked Roll for the Galaxy. Much much more than Race for the Galaxy.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Played two games of Roll for the Galaxy on Saturday.

My buddy who got into board games because of me and Race for the Galaxy, which we are definitely the main enthusiasts in my groups for that game, both are super happy with it so far and likely will end up having Race collecting dust.

Will be a lot easier to get people into it, I think.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Looks like XCOM should start shipping from CSI today! Woo!

Man, this weekend is going to be crazy! I might have Argent, XCOM, and Five Tribes! How will I pick which one for game night!?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I got Marvel Legendary for Christmas, and I've gotten into it real bad. I'm looking at a custom box insert, sleeves for the cards, etc. It's a lot of fun and all my friends that have tried it have seemed to like it.

I'm a fan of the go7 inserts. they have two different ones for the Marvel box depending if you want them sleeves or not.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    speaking of Orleans, i saw this comment from TMG and thought it was interesting to actually see some numbers for something like this
    Yes, hitting $185,000 at this point would basically wipe out all profits from approximately $20,000 - $30,000 of funding due to the extra cost of adding the wooden goods tokens (So, getting to $215,000 allows us to "break even" on the upgrade). But that doesn't matter to us nearly as much as the relationship we have with our customers, and we want this to get in the hands of as many people as possible.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    speaking of Orleans, i saw this comment from TMG and thought it was interesting to actually see some numbers for something like this
    Yes, hitting $185,000 at this point would basically wipe out all profits from approximately $20,000 - $30,000 of funding due to the extra cost of adding the wooden goods tokens (So, getting to $215,000 allows us to "break even" on the upgrade). But that doesn't matter to us nearly as much as the relationship we have with our customers, and we want this to get in the hands of as many people as possible.

That makes me feel bad. I wonder how they did on Scoville (which I also backed and received recently). It was 80k for all wooden pepper meeples. They ended up doing quite a bit over it in the end so I bet they made it back. This kickstarter has a similar feel to Scoville, it was really touch and go for a while on whether we'd get those wooden peppers but it cleared it pretty handily.

I guess I'd feel less bad if TMG just squeaked on by the threshold. I think Orleans will be a better mass market hit.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Is it basically too late to get Fief? All this chatter got me looking into it and I'm excited (albeit super late).

• Options
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Is it basically too late to get Fief? All this chatter got me looking into it and I'm excited (albeit super late).

http://academygames.com/shop/buy-from-academy-games

$75 for the base game, $100 for the game+expansions, $130 for the game+expansions+buildings

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I managed to cobble together a very very workable two faction, two player version of Cthulhu Wars (the "official" two player version is just two players playing the 4 player game using two factions each) over the weekend for the boyfriend to learn the game. Man is that thing fun. It's a rare game that I still want the play the day after I've played it.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    XCOM back in stock at coolstuff for the moment.

My copy expected to deliver in a couple weeks B)

• Options
    oh snap, look what apparently got accounced last week

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171908/el-grande-big-box
    20th anniversary edition, including all previously published expansions:
    Grand Inquisitor & Colonies, Grandissimo, Anniversary Extension, King & Intrigant, King & Intrigant: Players' Edition and King & Intrigant: Special cards.

• Options
    Rend wrote: »

Wait, why a couple weeks? It's shipping today.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

Wait, why a couple weeks? It's shipping today.

I just placed my order this morning, so I should receive in a couple weeks.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Grand Inquisitor & Colonies, Grandissimo, Anniversary Extension, King & Intrigant, King & Intrigant: Players' Edition and King & Intrigant: Special cards.

Do you think it's worth getting if you still have the original?

edit: looks like yes, they have some kind of "anniversary extension" in it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Do you think it's worth getting if you still have the original?

you could probably flip your original copy now and make enough $$ to pick this up when it comes out and comfortably have money left over. i cant specifically say though, since ive yet to actually play the game.

• Options

I have all the expansions, so I was about to buy a Broken Token insert ($25+$7 shipping) when my friend showed me that the Legendary Villains box will hold everything comfortably.

So now I have villains and everything alphabetized and divided and nice.

Just sayin'.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

I have all the expansions, so I was about to buy a Broken Token insert ($25+$7 shipping) when my friend showed me that the Legendary Villains box will hold everything comfortably.

Just sayin'.

I only have base+Dark City but now you made me want Villains. It looks like Villains can integrate seamlessly with the base game, is that right? I can have Magneto play with my X-Men or Emma Frost be a baddie?

Has anyone printed out custom dividers?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    hey neat, tycho mentioned Paperback in the news post today.

edit: also, in case anyone is randomly interested, the Rampage promos are back in stock in the BGG Store (meeple stickers and promo space cowboys board)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options

Just sayin'.

I only have base+Dark City but now you made me want Villains. It looks like Villains can integrate seamlessly with the base game, is that right? I can have Magneto play with my X-Men or Emma Frost be a baddie?

Has anyone printed out custom dividers?

Yeah they integrate just fine. Depending on the characters you might need to add some of the general cards from the other game. For example I used Cops as one of the 'henchmen' in a Magneto/X-Men 'everyone hates muties' game, and they make you gain New Recruits, so I needed that pile from the Villains game.

I actually like the Villains game a lot. It plays differently enough (different core cards that work slightly differently) and has a villainous 'dick each other over even though we're allies' feel. I didn't expect to.