As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, January 23, 2015 - Thwarted

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Friday, January 23, 2015 - Thwarted

Thwarted

Thwarted

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/01/23

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Black INK.I.MBlack INK.I.M Registered User regular
    You know... I'm actually starting to think that maybe the art has become... a little too expressive.
    I mean, don't get me wrong, it still is great, and I appreciate the effort made to not let things be static, but here, there's so many emotion at the same time that I fell it works against the comic.
    Like, it can be hard at time to grasp what is conveyed, and Gabe here ends up looking more like someone who acts like he's proud of himself/happy, then sad/sarcastic, then angry/has his heart broken, rather than actually having all of these feelings, precisely because each emotion goes by so fast, and because the facial expression is so emphasized.
    The expression on hid kid's face in the last panel is also a tad bit for me to interpret, I can't exactly tell if it's disinterest of distress.

Or maybe it's just me, and I'm still not used to the new reduxed art-style though.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I want that to become the new "let me play you the world's tiniest violin."

"Hang on, let me 3D print you some tears to cry."

or maybe

"Hang on, I ran out of fucks. Let me 3D print some more. There, now I have a few to give."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    You know... I'm actually starting to think that maybe the art has become... a little too expressive.
    I mean, don't get me wrong, it still is great, and I appreciate the effort made to not let things be static, but here, there's so many emotion at the same time that I fell it works against the comic.
    Like, it can be hard at time to grasp what is conveyed, and Gabe here ends up looking more like someone who acts like he's proud of himself/happy, then sad/sarcastic, then angry/has his heart broken, rather than actually having all of these feelings, precisely because each emotion goes by so fast, and because the facial expression is so emphasized.
    The expression on hid kid's face in the last panel is also a tad bit for me to interpret, I can't exactly tell if it's disinterest of distress.

Or maybe it's just me, and I'm still not used to the new reduxed art-style though.

Hold on, I'll just 3D print you a pencil so you can draw your own comic.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    I like the warping of the face, although I think elder Gabe's a bit too expressive (he reminds me of Ren and Stimpy, although Gabe the younger is perfect with his face), and it feels like there's unnecessary lines on the elder Gabe. Just saying, Mike.

But damn that middle panel and the punch are so perfect.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Hold on, I'll just 3D print you a forum meme that we can run into the ground.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I enjoy the body language in this comic.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    I love this strip. That is all

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BolerBoler Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Oh look it's the good old "not allowed to have opinions unless you do it yourself" argument.

I'm personally impartial to the facial expression and care more about the punchline/writing, since we're talking about it for some reason.

Boler on
  • Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    Oh, God! Puffy Tacos are the best thing in the universe.

• Options
    spawnoftheEDspawnoftheED Multimedia Designer New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I'm like the crazy super stylized expressions. the only thing that looks weird to me is the last frame, the one arm looks a bit wonky, like Gabe's elbow is way far down.

• Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    I feel like they're probably missing out on a great chance to wear matching seersucker suits w/ cowboy paraphernalia at PAX South. I mean, you only get so many opportunities to rock that look...

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I think the art is moving towards something better than a few comics ago. Although Gabe is still very "noodley" his limbs/body feel almost too cartoony/Adventure-Timeish.

• Options
    thelizardthelizard Registered User new member
    Hilarious...I agree with @linktm that the art is getting better.

• Options
    king0zymandiasking0zymandias Registered User regular
    Wait, so Mike is actually making the 3D models that he is printing? That's impressive. Fast learner.

Otherwise he's not really making anything, he's simply printing someone else's art.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I love the wild expressiveness that Gabe is doing. It does remind me a lot of John Kricfalusi, which I consider a good thing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Wait, so Mike is actually making the 3D models that he is printing? That's impressive. Fast learner.

Otherwise he's not really making anything, he's simply printing someone else's art.

I understand the sentiment but it's born of a lack of appreciation for how difficult it is to get a 3D printer to work properly and to accurately reproduce a design. Operating these devices, as they currently exist, is an art in and itself.

Saying he didn't make it is like saying a CNC machinist didn't make anything because an engineer and a drafter gave them a CAD model.

As an engineer who knows enough SolidWorks to design machineable parts, I still can't make anything I design because I can't operate a CNC machine or a 3D printer.

Neither is a trivial task; both require training and skill.

The idea that the creative process is complete at the design phase is simply incorrect. Regardless of whether Mike is creating designs from scratch, he is absolutely "making" stuff.

Also, I really like this comic. Mike's art experiments are a bit more successful today and I love the final line.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

It's you.

Elder Gabe is quite clearly: Proud of his creation, mocking with an exaggerated pout, defensively angry/sad ("Oh yeah! Well, you're dumb! :sniff:")
    Younger Gabe is pretty disinterested in the whole thing. The last panel is a nonchalant shrug in response to Elder Gabe's increasing rant.

• Options
    foodlefoodle Registered User regular
    I'm getting a Grinch vibe from the new Gabe art.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    We've been through this before. Gabe seems to want to push his style to be more and more 'loose'.

• Options
    Boler wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Oh look it's the good old "not allowed to have opinions unless you do it yourself" argument.

I'm personally impartial to the facial expression and care more about the punchline/writing, since we're talking about it for some reason.

To be fair I just wanted an excuse to be a dick with a "Let me 3D print you" something joke.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I think the comic was less about the son not appreciating something that Mike made and more about the son not appreciating that we have machines that can fit in our homes and make toy cars out of nothing, because for anyone who's over like 10 that's still fucking sorcery.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    These strips encompass why I'm not enthused about 3D printers. They don't appear to be much further than cheapass gimmicks that wouldn't already be churned out in some sweat shop in China.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    This technology opens up all new opportunities for piracy.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I would absolutely download a car

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I love the wild expressiveness that Gabe is doing. It does remind me a lot of John Kricfalusi, which I consider a good thing.

Likely part of Katie being in the office. Katie spent a lot of her early years working under Kricfalusi, and having another artist within easy reach to collaborate with has put a massive wind in Mike's sails. So I'd expect Katie's style to bleed into Mike's. If someone else had won Strip Search and wound up in the office instead, the same thing would probably have happened with them too (not that this couldn't still happen given that half the cast lives in Seattle now; it wouldn't be much of a stretch for Mike to spend some time with Amy, Lexxy, Nick or Abby... Alex maybe not so much given that Alex already got heavily influenced by Mike when he got started).

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    That's relevant news now in 2015:
    http://www.xconomy.com/detroit/2015/01/22/local-motors-looks-to-disrupt-manufacturing-with-3d-printed-car/

There have been older articles, too, about similar 3D printing things, in the past few years. There are some growing pains, but it's a pretty cool day and age to live in, with regards to being able to print out your own plastic crap.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

It cracks me up that the classic rebuttal to this particular ad campaign wasn't to point out the absurdity of the comparison

But rather

"actually, I fuckin would, if such a thing were possible..."

• Options
    I'll go one further, I'll download a car from a movie.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    id torrent a drive in movie

the whole thing not just the film but also the cars

and the popcorn

and the people

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    This technology opens up all new opportunities for piracy.

Well, I haven't found a whole car yet, but here's an engine. Not fully accurate mind you (no seals or appropriate bearings), but close enough to get you started.

As someone in-industry, it's actually been really fun watching Mike's introduction to the world of 3D Printing. Can't wait to see what happens when he discovers the weird filaments. (Note: I have no affiliation with any companies linked in this post)

edit - Found a car to download: https://localmotors.com/nfreytag/3d-print-your-own-miniature-strati/ Note, while the file is geometrically accurate [albeit scaled down 10x from the real thing], you'd need to make some adjustments and source your own still non-printed bits (suspension, motor, wheels, etc).

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

It cracks me up that the classic rebuttal to this particular ad campaign wasn't to point out the absurdity of the comparison

But rather

"actually, I fuckin would, if such a thing were possible..."
    Essentially: "Just because we cannot, does not mean we would not"?

Fake Edit: I'm surprised Googling that phrase doesn't turn up anything.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    "These strips encompass why I'm not enthused about 3D printers. They don't appear to be much further than cheapass gimmicks that wouldn't already be churned out in some sweat shop in China."

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38762&sid=12ff401a8883d21920fc4a54d95c6dae&start=30

3-D printed proton packs aren't exactly 'cheapass gimmicks'.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    These strips encompass why I'm not enthused about 3D printers. They don't appear to be much further than cheapass gimmicks that wouldn't already be churned out in some sweat shop in China.

It depends on a lot of things.

First, there's the cost. It's not the difference between a cheap laser printer and a very expensive one where for the extra grand you get better speed and a few odd networking options that most workplaces don't use anyway, there's actually a pretty substantial difference in the quality of the product from a cheap 3d printer and a high end model. Low end ones aren't good for much more than cheap to midpriced plastic crap, but expensive ones are capable of creating surgical quality tools.

Second, it's the "ink." Those spools come in various types of material, and not all printers support just any materials. Some are more brittle, some are soft and pliable, some stand up better to light or heat, etc.

Then there's the human factor. Not just the quality of the model, but the fact that just getting one to work can be a massive hassle in itself, and unskilled use can put a pretty low ceiling on the quality of the product.

So, yeah, most people with them are probably making Chinese sweat shop equivalent products, but some people are creating implantable prosthetics and industrial grade equipment.

• Options
    wprothwellwprothwell Registered User new member
    Gabe apparently never learned his lesson about creating artificial love. Or else plastics are way better than cardboard:

333739843_2L9ka-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

Likely part of Katie being in the office. Katie spent a lot of her early years working under Kricfalusi, and having another artist within easy reach to collaborate with has put a massive wind in Mike's sails. So I'd expect Katie's style to bleed into Mike's. If someone else had won Strip Search and wound up in the office instead, the same thing would probably have happened with them too (not that this couldn't still happen given that half the cast lives in Seattle now; it wouldn't be much of a stretch for Mike to spend some time with Amy, Lexxy, Nick or Abby... Alex maybe not so much given that Alex already got heavily influenced by Mike when he got started).
    He's also said before I think that he really admires John K. His art has had swells of Kricfalusian influence over the years.

steam_sig.png