As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] [Microscope] Just a Touch of Magic

The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
edited February 2015 in Critical Failures
Hey folks, I'm looking to run a maximum 5 player game of Microscope (including myself). I'm going to leave recruitment open for roughly 48 hours, during which folks are free to sign up and ask questions.

In the event of more than 4 people signing up, I will roll dice to determine who is included, as I'm not of the opinion that "first come, first served" is particularly fair to those who have differing working hours.
If you would like to get an idea of what Microscope is and how it works, read on below.

What is Microscope?

Here's the blurb:
Humanity spreads to the stars and forges a galactic civilization…

Fledgling nations arise from the ruins of the empire…

An ancient line of dragon-kings dies out as magic fades from the realm…

These are all examples of Microscope games. Want to explore an epic
history of your own creation, hundreds or thousands of years long, all in
an afternoon? That's Microscope.

You won't play the game in chronological order. You can defy the limits of
time and space, jumping backward or forward to explore the parts of the
history that interest you.

Want to leap a thousand years into the future
and see how an institution shaped society? Want to jump back to the
childhood of the king you just saw assassinated and find out what made
him such a hated ruler? That’s normal in Microscope.

You have vast power to create… and to destroy. Build beautiful, tranquil
jewels of civilization and then consume them with nuclear fire. Zoom out
to watch the majestic tide of history wash across empires, then zoom in
and explore the lives of the people who endured it.

A role-playing game for two to four players. No GM. No prep.

Microscope is what I like to call a timeline generator. The players first decide a theme for the game, which can be nearly anything. High Fantasy, Low Fantasy, Alternate History, Sci-Fi, Steampunk. The scope can last from a single generation of a kingdom to thousands if not millions of years.

The key thing that make this Roleplaying Game so great is just that, Roleplaying. There are no dice, no mechanics, no character sheets. A GM, gameplay wise, does not exist, with an exception for the individual running the game ensuring that the basic rules of the game are being followed.

This is a game of creativity. Every player gets to play god. Ideal for those who love writing, designing a storyboard or novel structure, or those who simply like rich backstories and histories. Dominant personalities are not a problem - every player contributes equally. If you ever struggle for ideas to contribute, go plain and simple. The most boring idea could turn into something wonderful when other players build on it.

In this spoiler lies a general summary of how the game works.
Set-Up

Once the theme and scope have been agreed, the actual set-up for the game begins. Players start by agreeing on a core concept - a single sentence that will encompass the entire timeline. The Big Picture.

Next, Bookends are created, which act as start and end periods of the history about to be created. 'The founding of a Republic' and 'The sacking of Rome' would be the bookends for the history of the Roman Empire, for example.

Next comes the Palette - A list of desired and banned items players desire or do not want in the timeline. This gives all the players a notion of what the other players are expecting from the game, and allows each to shape it more to their own tastes.

And lastly, The first Pass - Each player contributes either one Period or one Event to the timeline, to set up the first aspects of the history. From there, Real Play begins, and players are free to shape history in any way they like, provided they don't contradict either the Palette or History already set.

How does actual play work?

Players decide who becomes the first Lens. This is a role that rotates around players each turn. The Lens gets to pick the overall Focus of the round, as well as create two Nested events (1 Period with 1 attached Event, or 1 Event with 1 attached Scene) for the round, while each other player is allowed to create a single Period, Event or Scene each, which must relate to the Focus.

What is Focus? Focus, set by the Lens, determines a 'theme' for the round, to which all players must adhere. For example, taking real history as the overall scope of the game, a Lens might state 'The Roman Empire' as a (particularly broad) Focus. Players would then be free to create any Period, Event or Scene that is related to The Roman Empire, be it directly involved, the effect of the Roman Empire on neighboring states, or even archaeologists making a discovery studying a Roman Dig Site 2,000 years later.

Making History

All players can make a Period, Event or Scene.

Period: 1) Decide when it is. State two other periods between which this period occurs (This may not be before or after the Start/End Bookends respectively)
2) Describe the period, giving a grand summary of what happens/ what things are like.
3) Decide the tone, either Light/Dark. Is this a period of prosperity or Turmoil? A Golden Age or an Age of Oppression?

Event: 1) Describe when it is. Place the event within an existing period. If the period already has events, decide where it sits in relation to them chronologically.
2) Describe the event. Tell the other players what happens. Should be specific enough for other players to understand what physically takes place. Be sure to include the outcome.
3) Decide the tone. This can be Light/Dark, but does not have to be the same as the Period tone. You're never wrong about the tone you set, but you do need to justify it to the other players.

Scene: 1) State the question. The whole purpose of the scene is to come to an answer to this question.
2) Set the Stage: What do we already know from the history?
Where is the Scene physically taking place? What is going on?
3) Choose Characters: List banned and required characters (max 2 each). All players pick characters (@). Choose a character that helps you answer the Question.
4) Reveal Thoughts (@)
5) Play scene.

Suggested Seeds provided by the sourcebook:
Long-separated branches of humanity stumble upon each other again in the depths of space

Explorers settle a new land, displacing the native people

Secret societies carefully steer the course of civilization

Primitives leave their caves and found the first cities

Superheroes protect society, undermining the rule of law

A race of machines unearth their organic origins

How the West was won (alternate history America)

Gods play with heroes’ fates until Doom takes them all

The teachings of the Prophet are embraced by many, but bitterly rejected by others

Technology brings humanity into a golden age

The ancient Enemy spreads its dark hand across the land

Battle of the Planets

Renaissance: society shakes off the shackles of ignorance and embraces art and learning

Colonists tame a new world, but are cut off from the old

The health of the kingdom is bound to the life of the king

Atlantis sinks and her secrets are lost with her

Evolution of a species

Captains of Industry: corporations dominate society

A brilliant world-conqueror leaves behind a fractured and feuding empire

Scattered refugees struggle to rebuild after the Apocalypse

The last Magic passes from the world

Link to an external game writeup: http://sindarundome.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/microscope-rpg-review-and-actual-play.html

Previous PA game (sadly lost to inactivus): http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/193548/pbp-microscope-game-1-sid-meiers-alpha-microscope-reserves-welcome/p1

Steam: TheBrayster
PSN: TheBrayster_92
The Brayster on

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Order of Play:

AlfredR

Kilnaga

Invictus

astrobstrd

The Brayster

THE TIMELINE

The City of Light and Magic is Swallowed by the Yawning Desert

Waterbringer is Created from the City's Core Spring, but Lost

Reikos Alexei Unifies the People of Light
    Reikos Dolem Recovers Water-bringer from the Desert's Expanse

- Reikos Alexei discovers Water-Bringers power through a dream

The Ascension of Reikos Alexei

The People of Light Find Strength in Darkness

The Crusades of Light
    The Fifth Siege of Valley Bounty

The Great Expansion
    Kara Gnossun Brokers Peace and Trade With Sep'u'lua, Tigress of the Jungles

Reikos Alexei is canonized as a god in the Tome of Light

Sinking Hopes and Rising Tides
    Waterbringer is stolen by Ash-Korak Separatists

Humanity Rekindles its Lost Knowledge
    Dr Brandon Faust uncovers the Core Spring

Focus:

1) Rekios Alexeis' Staff, Water-Bringer.

Legacies:

1) The City of Light

CHEAT SHEET:
    OVERVIEW OF PLAY

Decide who goes first. That player becomes the first lens.

1) Declare the Focus: The Lens decides the current focus.

2) Make History: Each player takes a turn and makes either a
    Period, Event or Scene. Start with the Lens and go around the
    table to the left. Lens is allowed to make two nested things (a
    Period with an Event inside it, or an Event with a Scene inside
    it).

3) Lens Finishes the Focus: After each player has taken a turn, the
    Lens gets to go again and Make History one more time, again
    making two nested things if desired.

After the Focus is finished, we examine legacies:

4) Choose a Legacy: Player to the right of the current Lens picks
    something that appeared during this last Focus and makes it a
    Legacy.

5) Explore a Legacy: Same player creates an Event or Dictated
    Scene that relates to one of the Legacies.

6) New Lens: The player to the left of the Lens then becomes the
    new Lens and picks a new Focus (start again from step 1).

MAKING HISTORY

On your turn, make either a Period, Event or Scene:

period: Place between two Periods. Describe the Period and say
    whether it is Light or Dark.

event: Place inside a Period. Describe the Event and say whether
    it is Light or Dark.

scene: Place inside an Event. Choose whether to play or dictate
    the Scene.

What you make must relate to the Focus set by the Lens. Do not
    contradict what’s already been said. Do not use anything from the
    No column of the Palette.

The Lens is allowed to create two things on each of their turns, so
    long as one is inside the other (an Event and a Scene inside it, or a
    Period and an Event inside it).

STYLE OF PLAY

After setup, do not negotiate or discuss as a group (except to
    decide the Tone after a Scene). Do not ask for suggestions or give
    suggestions. Keep your ideas close to the vest.

Create clearly and boldly. When you’re making history, you’re in
    charge of creating reality. Pitch your vision. No one owns anything
    in the history. Create or destroy whatever you want.

Abandon your preconceptions. History will not turn out the way
    you expect. Think on your feet and work with what other players
    introduce.

MAKING A PLAYED SCENE

1) State the Question

2) Set the Stage: What do we already know from the history?
    Where is the Scene physically taking place? What is going on?

3) Choose Characters: List banned and required characters (max
    2 each). All players pick characters (). Choose a character that
    helps you answer the Question.

4) Reveal Thoughts ()
    Steps marked  go around the table to the right, opposite of the
    normal order, starting to the right of the player making the Scene.

PLAYING A SCENE

Always move towards answering the Question of the Scene.

 Roleplay what your character does and thinks. If someone tries
    to do something to your character, you describe the outcome.
     Shape the world by describing what your character perceives
    and how they react to it.

 Introduce and play secondary characters, as needed.
    Don’t say what someone else’s character does or thinks.

PUSH: CREATIVE CONFLICT

If, while playing a Scene, someone describes something about the
    world outside their character and you have a different idea you like
    better, you can Push to substitute your idea for theirs.

You cannot Push to change a player’s starting character, except
    to change something they perceive or to decide what happens to
    them.

1) Proposal
    2) Additional Proposals
    3) Vote
    4) Determine the Winner
    5) Play the Results

ENDING A SCENE

When the players know the answer to the Question, the Scene
    ends. Discuss what happened during the Scene to decide whether
    the Scene was Light or Dark.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    Oh, forgot to do shoutouts. @AlfredR‌ was interested in another game.

Also the reserves who never got a chance to join in last game @astrobstrd‌ , @discrider‌ , @Musicool‌

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Every player gets to play god.

Can I be a capricious and jealous god? If so, totally count me in.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Yes, provided nothing goes against what all players agree to at the start, you're pretty much free to carve up the world/universe as you wish.

Even literally. I have run a game before that saw a pantheon of gods in conflict with their own creations (pretty meta considering what the players actually do in this game).

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'd love to join up! Thanks for the tag.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Please put me on the list for possible players.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    Well the good news is that we have a perfect number so I don't need to dice roll. Just waiting on confirmation from Alfred then we can start as we are.

While we wait, why don't you guys put forward ideas for what sorts of theme/genre you'd like this game to be.

There are a list of examples in the first post that could give some ideas.

The previous game involved massive corporations being exiled from earth and forming their own nations on another planet, so I wouldn't mind something different this time (I'm game for anything though, I've run a lot of variants of Microscope)

• Options
    Genre: Magical Realism

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I have some considerable affection for high-magic as technology settings (think Erikson's Malazan series, for example). I think that would be an interesting contrast with a theme of change-from-without.

Also, I know this is getting a little out of order, but I think there'd be something cool about centering this kind of thing around a single long-lived being--maybe a tree?

Invictus on
  • Options
    Invictus wrote: »
    I have some considerable affection for high-magic as technology settings (think Erikson's Malazan series, for example). I think that would be an interesting contrast with a theme of change-from-without.

Also, I know this is getting a little out of order, but I think there'd be something cool about centering this kind of thing around a single long-lived being--maybe a tree?

Oh, that tree idea works with either of our genre choices. I'm totes down to have an Yggdrasil, the world tree, in whatever genre setting we choose.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I'm down and I'm totally up for magic realism. If we are doing an Yggdrasil as well, perhaps it could involve mortal demi-gods? Something along the lines of heroes like Gilgamesh or Hercules. I am thinking of stuff like American Gods, with multiple theologies and cultural magics represented just under the surface of mundane life (or as mundane as high magic gets).

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I think of magical realism and high-magic as being inconsistent, really; I think of magical realism as being relatively subtle stuff, whereas high magic is magical nukes and frequent teleports. I kinda dig a magical realism with mortal demigods, though, with more subtle origins--think Achilles being dipped in the River Styx rather than Zeus fathering Helen by turning into a magical swan.

Invictus on
  • Options
    To give some guidance on this discussion, we go through a couple of stages before play begins. We are currently on the first point, and we'll work them in turn, but I figure it is useful to know what is coming up.

The first involves creating what I often call a 'Headline' (Also referred to as The Big Picture), a simple short sentence that describes the entire timeline we're going to create.

For example, 'The Rise and Fall of Rome'. The start and end of the history are obvious, and there's room for a whole lot of interesting stuff that happens between the two (The Wars with Carthage, Caesars campaigns in Gaul, The Triumvirate, all manner of cultural, philosophical and technological advances).

Then we would create the 'Bookends', which basically consist of a Start Era and End Era which mark the beginning and end of the history we are concerned with. One of these will be considered 'Light' and the other 'Dark'. our choice as to which. An example Pantheon of Gods game might begin with 'The Gods birth Humankind on the Earth (Light)' and end with 'Humankind renounces the existence of the gods (Dark)'

Lastly, we all work together to create the 'Palette'

Simply put, the Palette consists of two elements - Things one might expect to see in a setting, but are not to be included, and Things one might not expect to see in a setting, but want to see included. We go around each player and ask them to contribute one thing as a 'Yes' or a 'No'.

For example, in a Fantasy Theme, one might expect to see Wizards, but feels like the game would be better if the world did not feature wizards. So, 'No Wizards'

In a Sci-Fi themed game, you probably wouldn't expect to see wizards, but you may feel that the presence of Wizards might make it interesting. So, 'Yes Wizards'

So, magic realism sounds pretty neat. What about the general era of the history? Will we be looking more Ancient (Greek/Roman/Gaelic influences) or more towards Medieval do you think? (Or both, one leading into the other).

(Short of a bookend stating otherwise, there would be nothing stopping one player creating an event in ancient times at one end then the next turn another player taking an established concept and using it in the modern era on the other (The battle taking place / Archaeologists uncovering it).

I personally like the idea of 'cast down gods', where mortal beings of a higher origin (who used to be immortal gods) mingle with humanity, and there is clearly something more mythical/immortal above it all, but what is anyone's guess. We sorta brought that up in our Pantheon of the gods game but it was within the last 10 minutes or so, so we never did anything with it, regrettably.

• Options
    In the demi-god scenario, I'd be more interested in 20th-21st century stuff, but starting in ancient/medieval times for background and whatnot expands the scope and provides context. I could be down for exploring the origins of those folks, but I want to preserve a good deal of mystery. I would also be interested in stories where the demi-gods exist in the periphery or are hidden by cults and secret societies.

• Options
    AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Thanks @The Brayster‌ I'm still up for this, if you've still got room for me. I'm catching up on reading the posts now.

AlfredR on
  • Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    In the demi-god scenario, I'd be more interested in 20th-21st century stuff, but starting in ancient/medieval times for background and whatnot expands the scope and provides context. I could be down for exploring the origins of those folks, but I want to preserve a good deal of mystery. I would also be interested in stories where the demi-gods exist in the periphery or are hidden by cults and secret societies.

The key thing to remember here is that any given game of Microscope is going to cover hundreds if not thousands of years. While the option to explore what happens in the 20th-21st centuries (or rough equivalent, as this is going to be fictional from the ground up) are there, there is no real guarantee that much action will occur at that point. Placing an event in an earlier point of time may be intended to be 'background' could end up being heavily picked up by the other players and become the focus of the game, while setting up events you think are going to be extremely exciting may not even be picked up at all.

What I'm basically trying to say is that you ought to be willing to explore any and all parts of the timeline with equal enthusiasm, or you probably won't enjoy yourself very much.

So thus far we have Magical Realism (In the effect of magic being really subtle (no chaos wizards)). I'm glad the 'Long-Lived being' was brought up, because it is really cool to have something we can see effected over the course of history (in the absence of this element, you end up seeing a lot of the same surnames crop up over the course of history (which is also cool)).

There's also the matter of potential downcast gods/otherworld beings living among mortals that was brought up earlier, which is up for debate and/or tweaking.

If anyone doesn't like the sound of this and has an alternate idea for game theme/inspiration/elements, feel free to speak up. The more options we have at this point, the better.

(Alfred, you're more than free to join us, that makes 5 of us which is an ideal number).

• Options
    I find the idea of cast down gods really interesting, especially in the context of, like, they used to have enormous power - something happened - and now they're basically just mortals with okay-ish powers and all the stuff that might develop from that. What will happen! Who knows! I want to see these not-gods in, you know... ancient Not-Greece or whatever and just follow how these weird quietly magical not-gods affect and don't affect the world in different ways.

Specifically how the rest of the world reacts to their gods now being mortal-or-whatever, since this is Microscope. Following cast down gods specifically sounds like an awesome game of Kingdom, but for Microscope we have to be interested in how a particular theme affects *everything.*

So, as a big picture, would that be Fantasy nation(s) buck the reins of their gods, casting them down, and forging their own destiny or the like? I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around the big broad idea of what we'll be exploring.

I would, personally, really love to do like a wuxia kungfu kind of feuding states game. Wouldn't have to be a strictly historical rendition of Chinese history, and we could even make it a full-blown alternate setting, as long as there is plenty of room for kung fu duels and ancient temples and the like.

• Options
    To fit with the magical realism theme, I have some preference for the idea of demigods as the product of natural forces. The thought I have in mind is of subtle magics of place and object that imbue particular mortals with supernatural ability. I don't like the idea of fallen gods versus humanity nearly as much.

• Options
    So the demigods, as opposed to being cast down actual gods, would be given their power by natural artifacts or even just unexplained forces (for the moment)? That could work. Could even be linked to the life-tree idea.

So, the big picture to encompass the timeline would be more along the lines of 'An undercurrent of unknown magic influences the path of humanity'.

Magic is there, it's subtle, leaving us open to investigate together what the magic IS, and at the same time leaving the timeline open enough for us to determine for ourselves what sort of 'Periods' we like investigating the most, whether they be as early as Not-Greece or as late as Near-Future (we'll tackle the bookends that sort this out once we have more idea of what's happening).

Would this be closer to what people would like?

• Options
    I got excited by the idea of modern/near-future stuff with this story, but since it is Microscope, of course any era/period is fair game. Someone may even create something that makes me abandon modern ideas in favor of other stuff; just getting used to the set-up, since following the last thread was my only exposure to the game.

@Brayster - That big picture summary seems like a solid start to me.

• Options
    Well, if no one has any objections, we can move on to creating the Bookends.

These are the Periods that mark each end of the timeline - Beginning and End. As they are periods, events can still occur within them, but nothing can occur before the start of the first bookend or after the latter bookend.

Typically, one of these events will be considered Light (so, a good thing overall) and the other Dark (A bad thing overall). Light events can occur within a Dark Period, and Dark Events can take place during a Light Period, this mark simply describes the overall tone.

My initial suggestion would be something along the lines of:

Opening Bookend: Eyrl'Yshal comes to life (Light)

Detail: An old tree believed to be millions of years old catches the attention of those who know of it. Once simply a ritual tree for forest clans, Eyrl'Yshal causes concern when it develops glowing runes, seemingly all by itself.

Closing Bookend: Magic Disappears from the world (Dark).

Detail: Forces that once influenced the course of history seem to simply fade out of existence.

Feel free to discuss, adjust or suggest your own!

• Options
    Does anyone have a qualm with those bookends or shall we just move on to the Palette?

• Options
    Just a thought, we could try dark to light as well:

Opening Bookend: Dawn of the Ancient World (Dark) - Gods and ancient magics leave the world, leaving behind traces of their power and influence. Powerful Individuals seize that power and move humanity away from peaceful hunter-gatherer existence to city-states and empires, fostering war and social stratification.

Closing Bookend: Birth of Mankind's Third Age (Light) - Technological advances look to eradicate wars for resources and most disease. The guiding magics of the Gods fade as mankind wrestles with how best to preserve the peace for future generations (perhaps of artificial intelligences as well, mankind moves from created to creator).

I'm good with @Brayster's scenario as well, just wanted to see if another story arc had appeal.

• Options
    @The Brayster I've got no qualms with the bookends you've presented; they work for me!

• Options
    I'll give you guys a few more hours so come up with anything if you like.

Otherwise I'll just coin flip between the two existing ideas.

• Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Just a thought, we could try dark to light as well:

Opening Bookend: Dawn of the Ancient World (Dark) - Gods and ancient magics leave the world, leaving behind traces of their power and influence. Powerful Individuals seize that power and move humanity away from peaceful hunter-gatherer existence to city-states and empires, fostering war and social stratification.

Closing Bookend: Birth of Mankind's Third Age (Light) - Technological advances look to eradicate wars for resources and most disease. The guiding magics of the Gods fade as mankind wrestles with how best to preserve the peace for future generations (perhaps of artificial intelligences as well, mankind moves from created to creator).

I like the idea of moving from Dark to Light. I think we could augment this slightly though, as I'm not a big fan of individuals having such direct control over the magical forces present as your opening bookend seems to imply. I'm also not too stoked about The Brayster's closing bookend. I feel magic, as a fundamental force within our universe should always be present, having existed long before humanity and surviving long after.

Timeline Theme: 'An undercurrent of unknown magic influences the path of humanity'.

Opening Bookend: Atlantis sinks and her secrets are lost with her (Dark)

Detail: The Atlantians studied the arcane arts, gathering magical artifacts and researching the source of ancient magical forces, in an attempt to utilize the magical powers of the ancient gods for their own benefit. Their investigations drove Atlantis to become the pinnacle of human civilization in the ancient world, as they quickly began to amass knowledge and technologies far beyond that of their neighboring nation states. The ancient gods viewed the Atlantian study of magic as a blasphemous attempt to elevate themselves into equal standing with the gods. Fueled by jealousy and fear, the gods summoned a massive swell to destroy the city and drown any remains in the depths of the ocean. All human knowledge pertaining to the control of magical forces was lost. The remaining, scattered, sources of magical energy left in the world are free to influence humanity unimpeded by human action.

Closing Bookend: Mankind's Final Age - Evolution of a Species (Light)

Detail: The various magical artifacts and natural sources of magical energy scattered across the planet have influenced the evolution of the dominant species, humanity. Demi-humans, those influenced by and imbued with the world's magical energy, have altered the species' genetic make-up through a rigorous process of natural selection. The influence of the magical forces having accelerated the natural evolution process, shortening the time required to achieve speciation to only a few short millennia.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    These are all some pretty neat ideas. @AlfredR , @Invictus‌ , @Musicool‌ , do you guys have any opinions on these / ideas you want to present?

• Options
    I don't know about loading all of that detail into, well, the 'details'.

I'm down with Atlantis Sinks and its Magical Knowledge is Lost and Humanity Transcends or the like, but making events in those bookends right now seems kind of irrelevant with so many things pre-answered.

So I'm not just a naysayer (cause I'm really not trying to poo poo), what about:

The City Of Magic and Light is Swallowed Beneath the Sands of the Yawning Desert (Dark)
    Detail: the font from which mystical understanding flows is lost. With it goes humanity's grasp of the artifacts and places of power the City gave to the world.

Humanity Rekindles Its Lost Knowledge (Light)
    Detail: What was lost is reforged, and a new City of Light is constructed - bringing with it a much-needed magical and social renaissance.

• Options
    I think I'm down for @AlfredR 's bookends. I don't know if we want to have the "fallen god" or "persons of power" tags in there somewhere, but we could always just insert them as it makes sense along the way.

• Options
    Yeah, I'd say Alfreds are my favourite thus far.

Anyone have anything to add, or would we be happy to roll with it?

• Options
    I vote for AlfredR's.

• Options
    I'm glad y'all liked those Bookends! It seems like we're all agreed, then? @The Brayster this means its time for the Palette, right?

• Options
    Sweet!

Okay, so we have our Big Picture: An Undercurrent of Unknown Magic Influences the Course of Humanity

Our Bookends: 'The City of Magic and Light is Swallowed Beneath the Sands of the Yawning Desert' (Dark) - 'Humanity Rekindles its Lost Knowledge' (Light)

(Thank god for Forum play, if this has been real life I would have had to try to fit that first bookend on a vertical index card...)

Now we move on to the Palette. I have briefly mentioned this earlier, but this basically serves as a dual-checklist, listing what players want to see in the game and what they don't. This will work by us simply 'going around the table' in turn and each person contributing an item to the 'Yes' column or the 'No' column. This will keep going until any one player says they haven't got anything to contribute, at which point that round of the table will be the last round, so no one player will have contributed 2 more ideas than anyone else.

The purpose of the Yes column is for players to highlight what they want to appear in the game. Anything can be put here, but it is worth noting that it would be better to put items here that either 1) You would not expect to see in the setting, but want to see included or 2) Something you would expect to see but you want to ensure it isn't forbidden by a play coming after you. Items in the Yes Column don't automatically exist in game, they still need to be introduced via event/scene.

The No column is more straightforward. Putting an item into the No column is forbidding anyone from introducing it to the game. No player may use these items/themes.

When contributing a Yes or No, keep the thing itself simple (Vampires, Mega-Cities, Alien Artifacts), but be sure to include a brief sentence explaining what that thing is/involves (Just because it is obvious to you, does not mean it will be obvious to the other players).

Now to determine player order. This is what we'll follow for both the Palette and the rest of the game:
    Geth roll 1d100 for The Brayster
    Geth roll 1d100 for AlfredR
    Geth roll 1d100 for Invictus
    Geth roll 1d100 for astrobstrd
    Geth roll 1d100 for Kilnaga
    Geth roll 1d100 for Musicool

The Brayster:
    1d100 41 [1d100=41]
    AlfredR:
    1d100 68 [1d100=68]
    Invictus:
    1d100 62 [1d100=62]
    astrobstrd:
    1d100 52 [1d100=52]
    Kilnaga:
    1d100 67 [1d100=67]
    Musicool:
    1d100 88 [1d100=88]

• Options
    So the order of play is:

Musicool

AlfredR

Kilnaga

Invictus

astrobstrd

The Brayster ( :bigfrown: )

So we have @Musicool to set us off.

• Options
    For the sake of getting this moving we'll start from @AlfredR , if you'd like to start off the Palette

• Options
    Boom! Here I am!

I'm going to say No to Mindless Monsters.

What I mean is: there may be monsters! I don't know! There's magic in the world and its all very complicated when the source of that magic vanishes. But, if we bring monsters into the game, none of them are mindless - they're intelligent and they've got agendas, no matter how inhuman.

• Options
  • Options
    Musicool has not taken part so far, has been mentioned with @ in thread and has received a PM from me without reply.

I don't mean to be harsh, but until a reply occurs we're just going to need to continue as though he isn't playing, unfortunately.

• Options
    I suppose I'll secure an option by saying Yes to Dream Magic.

Detail: The dream world is a subconscious realm in which humans are susceptible to outside magical influence. How this magical influence manifests itself into conscious human reality differs on a case by case basis.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    I suppose I'll secure an option by saying Yes to Dream Magic.

Detail: The dream world is a subconscious realm in which humans are susceptible to outside magical influence. How this magical influence manifests itself into conscious human reality differs on a case by case basis.

Makes me think of the Fade from Dragon Age.

And I am so down with that!

@Invictus next.