As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moonrise, the last bastion of fun Pinny Arcade interactions.

QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest MortalRegistered User regular
So my Day 1 of PAX South is over, I'm old, tired, and sick.

Things I've learned:

1. @Retnus and the merch team pulled off what could have been a pure pin fiasco(none of the pins arrived at the convention center until the afternoon), and handled it with style, grace, humility and all around class. For those of us who lined up early for pins, they simply printed a voucher and made a list, when the pins got there, they sent out a tweet, you walked up with your voucher, brian checked you off the list, apologized and gave you your pins. Well handled.

2. Undead Labs are apparently the only company that wants to actually use then pins as they were originally intended. Everyone is just selling pins, or even worse in the case of the Ugin MTG pin; making us spend not just time, not just money, but time and money to get the pin. On top of that, they're limiting the pin to one per person. Not one per day, one per person total. They're marring up the badges, and treating people like fucking criminals under investigation looking at the back of badges. Terrible job. Not sure if WOTC has any say in the matter since Channel Fireball is running all the events, or if it's just a couple of douchers on a power trip so they can sell the pins on ebay when the convention is over...either way I'm not a happy camper. I've played MTG since I was thirteen(20 years...) and this strongly has me leaning towards never giving them another cent of my money.

3. Undead Labs, a three part pin, one for each US PAX that can match up? That's nuts, they're all in on the freaking pin train and I love it, I hope to see the pin community back their products as thanks for staying classy.

• Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    That sucks about the MTG pin. I know a lot of us who aren't there are wanting that pin and if they are being super limited it will make it difficult to get it later on. Does anyone know if any of the pins will travel? Are any of them gonna be at East. It is so close I could see them taking a pin to another PAX.

• Options
    aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    The Channel Fireball Magic booth actually had all of WotC's previous Magic pins, from East Chandra to Sarkhan. They are however charging a ridiculous number of tickets for them. I wonder what prompted this sudden change with Magic pins; they used to be really easy to obtain.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    No one marks my badge except Gabe/Tycho. I'd tell them to go jump.

• Options
    Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    Undead labs is great. They are really nice, passionate, & care about fostering community. State of Decay is a good game & I look forward to Moonrise coming out.

But, MTG, ugh. Originally they posted that you could bring a commander deck & pay $5, play a game with 3 others & essentially get 30 tickets (the cost of the Ugin pin). I even stopped by the booth to ask about it & told them I brought the decks, etc. They said playing commander was available until 7 pm. Then, I bring my 4 decks & 3 friends, only to be told they pulled that "2 weeks ago." Apparently play commander if you want, but get zero tickets. Garbage.

I understand keeping things rare, but this is beyond ridiculous. They even make sure to blow on the ink on the badge, so that you can't try to wipe it off.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Sammy.Sam wrote: »
    Undead labs is great. They are really nice, passionate, & care about fostering community. State of Decay is a good game & I look forward to Moonrise coming out.

But, MTG, ugh. Originally they posted that you could bring a commander deck & pay $5, play a game with 3 others & essentially get 30 tickets (the cost of the Ugin pin). I even stopped by the booth to ask about it & told them I brought the decks, etc. They said playing commander was available until 7 pm. Then, I bring my 4 decks & 3 friends, only to be told they pulled that "2 weeks ago." Apparently play commander if you want, but get zero tickets. Garbage.

I understand keeping things rare, but this is beyond ridiculous. They even make sure to blow on the ink on the badge, so that you can't try to wipe it off.

I wiped mine off standing at the booth. Probably not a good idea as I've got pretty distinguishable police line up qualities, but I was super pissed at this d-bag snatching by badge and blowing on it.

• Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    Well alcohol does take off perm ink, but I have never had them be shitty like that before. MTG has always been stand up and friendly every other pax I have been to. To change your announced plans and mark badges. That is very uncool.

• Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Blowing on it doesn't set the ink, its super easy to rub off if you do it straight away.

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's what is so strange. MTG has always been an enjoyable booth before. Staff has been great previously. This time though, they didn't even seem to care. Just like tough luck. Also, I didn't know about their one pin ever policy until after they marked the badge & I asked if that meant one pin a day or what.

Also they have their previous pins, priced in the 100-400 tickets range.

• Options
    DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    Sarkan - 150 tix
    Elspeth - 200 tix
    Garruk (either half) - 500 tix
    East or Aus Chandra - 800 tix

So ya kinda overinflated considering if you 4-0 a tourney, you net 180 points.

Also, dont be quick to judge WotC here, I honestly doubt there is an actual WotC employee here. The entire event is being run by an magic events coodinator called Channel Fireball, and I think WotC gave em the pins and told em to distrubute them, but couldnt sell them directly. CF just found the loophole, and being an events buisness, they make money and sell product this way, a win win. This is all just speculation, of course, and I have no idea why the absurd rule on distribution of one person per con, just how I see em.

However saying screw you to three day badgers when single dayers get one a day, and physically grabbing my badge to blow on it to blow it dry?!? Uncalled for.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    This Wizards of the Coast deal sounds sketchy as. Also, if they are physically grabbing and/or altering badges with out getting permission for the owner, I'm pretty sure that contravenes number 6 on the six PAX Rules.

This one here:
    6.Don’t mess with things that aren’t yours

a.Policy Overview
    i.It is understood that all attendees will be able to operate in a state of comfort and privacy without intrusion or disturbance, and that their personal belongings will not be altered or disturbed. If anyone’s belongings are found to have been disturbed or restricted, remediation will take place.

b.Definitions
    i.Privacy: A state of being free from intrusion and disturbance in one’s personal state of affairs as well as physical presence.
    ii.Personal Belongings: Includes any items owned by an entity.

c.Remediation
    i.Anyone who engages in behavior or that violates the privacy intentions as stated above will be reprimanded and have their badge removed contingent on the severity of the claim as reported to PAX show management.

So, all in all sounds pretty disappointing. Always bound to be some wrinkles with a new PAX, hope PA jump on this and pull the exhibitor into line.

That said, I don't really have a problem with an exhibitor putting whatever ridiculous restrictions they like on a pin if they plan to give it to you for free. I mean, Leeroy J sounded like a pain in the ass, but in the end you got a free pin.

With this Ugin pin, it sounds very different. I mean, you can't get the pin without spending money, so there is no reason to treat attendees like crap and screw with their stuff. Poor show.

• Options
    evil santaevil santa To infinity...and beyond!Registered User regular
    PAX AUS 2013 had staff members at the MTG booth marked peoples passes when they went through as well for the Chandra pin. I didn't collect back then so I didn't think much about it. This sounds worse though.

Pinny Pals Profile

“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
  • Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    If anyone has a dry erase marker try rubbing that over the marker on your badge, it usually takes sharpie right off. That really sucks they the Magic booth is treating fans.

• Options
    pvp_pandapvp_panda Registered User regular
    So I've been thinking. PAX EAST is in 40 days. Isn't it very likely that the MTG pin will be ugin also? WOTC tends to have a big presence at PAX with elaborate booths. It sounds like they didn't have time to prep for PAX south. Additionally, there isn't any big MTG products coming out with a character that can be made into a pin in the next month... So ugin makes sense as the Pax east pin too

• Options
    sudopoopsudopoop seattle, usaRegistered User regular
    I spent a lot of time chatting with the guy at the "prize wall." Unsurprisingly, he's just a volunteer with a magic background. He told me that the instructions he received were that the pins were intended to be an exclusive for people who participated in the magic tournaments. He also said that the goal was to ensure that everyone who participated was able to get a pin if they desired. It honestly would be pretty terrible to pay for the magic "tournament" on Sunday and not even be able to get the Ugin pin.

I did give him a lot of feedback about the mismatch in intentions and perceptions about the whole process. He agreed completely that the intro tournaments weren't working out as planned at all. The prizes for winning were removed and tix were given upfront so that it would be a casual and inviting atmosphere for beginners to learn. This of course turned into a $20 pin, with 60-80% of participants abandoning after the first game.

Prize wall man even got heckled by some guy for 20-40 minutes about how marking badges is a cardinal sin. Yeah, I hate it too, but it sure beats getting a hole punched in your badge (standard at Dota2 events for picking up a swag bag).

tl;dr - it's only day1. While it sucks for pinny pals, they seem to have the best intentions in mind for pax south attendees. Hopefully they have a crapton left on Sunday and start handing them out for free at the end.

• Options
    East is a couple of weeks before the release of Dragons of Tarkir. There will almost certainly be at least one planeswalker in that set.

• Options
    I don't think they would use a pin to spoil an unreleased planeswalker would they?

• Options
    Perhaps. They did have Garruk at East last year, which was before the release of M15.

• Options
    LuthienLuthien Halifax, NSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    A couple weeks is prime spoiler time... And there's already plenty of speculation that there'll be a new Nicol Bolas,which would make an awesome pin. Although given that the current set only came out today its super early for that much hope.

Luthien on
  • Options
    Bolas pin to go with ugin pin would be awesome...

• Options
    Geometric CubeGeometric Cube Registered User regular
    Hopefully day 2 is better. Maybe they will become less "militant."

• Options
    DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    So the guy running the prize wall today told one of the members of my pin group that magic swag was only for magic players. Which is good y'know because PAX is all about excluding those who are different

• Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    I'm just hoping they don't get even worse on day 2. We didn't put a ton of time into the expo hall today, so we definitely still need this pin. I'm 100% fine with plunking down the $20, getting the pin, and removing his sharpie siblings with some hand sanitizer; it sucks, but at this point it's known suckitude.

Maybe tomorrow they will require you to log your social security number before getting one :rolleyes:

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    Since it seems the Ugin pin is the "hard pin to obtain" at this particular PAX, when should I plop down my hard earned dollars on eBay? Seems every PAX has at least one pin that is a pain to get. East was Leeroy and Prime was The Order. Didn't seem that Aus had any particularly hard ones to obtain though.

I mean if a lot of people aren't going to have an extra to trade away seems like it might be more prudent to just buy one. Thoughts?

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    I would just wait it out. Definitely wait until after East. That pin could drop again, and anything could happen over the next two days to change how it's released. I wouldn't give in to the ebay sellers yet...or maybe I'm just trying to get you not to bid on it so I can snag it.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

I think you want to wait a few days after the event anyway. During the event you have the crazies like myself and my homie Jake there, sitting at home paying top dollar for stuff we are missing out on. Early next week there will be a few days of lull before the new hard cores get warmed up for the eBay dance off.

• Options
    Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    I know I'm getting more than one - mainly due to the fact I'm not alone. The price I'm selling it at though is likely to change (in either direction) in the next days, depending on how it moves on eBay.

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!
  • Options
    hackyhacky Registered User regular
    Pinny trading turned the 1.5 hour wait for State of Decay into a memorable trading session and discussion with multiple people. +1 for Undead Labs!

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    So I don't really care about the pins, but I've been getting them for a friend and I gotta tell ya, some of these pin things are ridiculous. Like, the trendy ent turret pin? I tried to just buy it and they said you can only get it with the game purchase so I left. In retrospect it wasn't a bad deal and I should have just got it, so I'll try tomorrow, but it just kinda blew my mind that I couldn't get the pin without the game and I didn't know what to do so I just left. Most of em aren't too bad I guess, but man that magic the gathering pin? What a pain in the ass, you have to pay money to enter their tournaments and win enough points to get it? Screw you wizards of the coast, just let me play a Magic demo for a pin like you did at PAX East last year.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    SKOoOTASKOoOTA Ascot Vale, Australia.Registered User regular
    This Wizards of the Coast deal sounds sketchy as. Also, if they are physically grabbing and/or altering badges with out getting permission for the owner, I'm pretty sure that contravenes number 6 on the six PAX Rules.

And they broke the golden rule of Pax "DON'T BE A DICK".

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »
    So I don't really care about the pins, but I've been getting them for a friend and I gotta tell ya, some of these pin things are ridiculous. Like, the trendy ent turret pin? I tried to just buy it and they said you can only get it with the game purchase so I left. In retrospect it wasn't a bad deal and I should have just got it, so I'll try tomorrow, but it just kinda blew my mind that I couldn't get the pin without the game and I didn't know what to do so I just left. Most of em aren't too bad I guess, but man that magic the gathering pin? What a pain in the ass, you have to pay money to enter their tournaments and win enough points to get it? Screw you wizards of the coast, just let me play a Magic demo for a pin like you did at PAX East last year.

From the vendor's perspective, these are marketing tools. They want to sell their stuff, and this is a way to increase those sales. They see people getting multiples as one sale less to a different person.

Problem is, that just isn't fucking so. People collecting for others are helping them build brand recognition and loyalty for those who aren't attending. Magic fans want the complete set of Magic Pins, and as is evident from the post above, some fans will be turned off the products by this attitude withholding Pins from those trying to help their friends.

• Options
    All I'll say, is the pin handling isn't even managed by Wizards of the Coast, but by a third party mandated by WotC, and they have an modus operandi focused on managing large events effectively, making lots of cash, and being an asshole to all magic players (because that seems to work for some reason).

I have a feeling Wizards won't be allowed to just let a 3rd party handle pin distribution and change the rules anymore. I might be wrong though.

• Options
    timebeingtimebeing Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Qumaden wrote: »

2. Undead Labs are apparently the only company that wants to actually use then pins as they were originally intended. Everyone is just selling pins, or even worse in the case of the Ugin MTG pin; making us spend not just time, not just money, but time and money to get the pin. On top of that, they're limiting the pin to one per person. Not one per day, one per person total. They're marring up the badges, and treating people like fucking criminals under investigation looking at the back of badges. Terrible job. Not sure if WOTC has any say in the matter since Channel Fireball is running all the events, or if it's just a couple of douchers on a power trip so they can sell the pins on ebay when the convention is over...either way I'm not a happy camper. I've played MTG since I was thirteen(20 years...) and this strongly has me leaning towards never giving them another cent of my money.

Really?! Time and money. Oh no!!! How long did you wait in line and spend on the LE pin? Sounds like Penny Arcade screwed you on time and money for a pin too. Better stop giving them anymore of your money.

And criminal for looking at the back of your badge? Were you trying to screw them over after being told it was limit one per badge by being special and getting more then one? WotC decided to limit it to one per badge. What makes you so special you should get more then one?

timebeing on
  • Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    I incorrectly guessed the author of the above reply.

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    timebeing wrote: »
    Qumaden wrote: »

Really?! Time and money. Oh no!!! How long did you wait in line and spend on the LE pin? Sounds like Penny Arcade screwed you on time and money for a pin too. Better stop giving them anymore of your money.

And criminal for looking at the back of your badge? Were you trying to screw them over after being told it was limit one per badge by being special and getting more then one? WotC decided to limit it to one per badge. What makes you so special you should get more then one?

From the bottom of my heart, I hope you enjoyed your PAX and that all of your hopes and dreams come true in life. I don't know your experience with the staff at the MTG booth, but we obviously had very different ones. Snatching my badge and marking it up while treating me like I was committing come crime by getting a pin kind of violates several of the PAX rules, as well as Wheatons Law. Had they just told me that I could only get one and were halfway civil about it, it wouldn't have been as big an issue. I had, as well as from the conversations I had with many other pin collectors seemed to have had, a very horrible experience with the booth and staff.

• Options
    I believe it's up to Penny Arcade to allow or not a vendor to sell or give away Pinny Arcade pins. I also believe it's up to the vendor to decide how to distribute them - but I'm gonna go ahead and say it's up to Penny Arcade to decide whether to allow the to have pins next time, and whether or not to impose conditions over distribution for next time.

It was bad, I'm sure all parties involved know this, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I didnt go obviously, so ive kind of just been reading over the conversation. These points may have been said before but ill just say a few things ive been thinking about this whole thing.

Firstly i remember a while ago (in one of Pedros Q@A's) that after PA gives a partner their pins, its basically up to the partner to distribute how they want. its unfortunate that WotC decided on this rule but thats just how it went this time.

For the record I dont particularly agree with their choice. I believe that if a person is willing to spend the time and or money at your booth then they should be entitled to another round at whatever theyre offering. I only see limits on purchases for the show exclusive pins, where its available to literally anyone goin. The Ugin pin, even if it was a 1000 pin limit, wouldnt have had the kind of numbers going through (almost everyone goes through merch, not everyone Plays magic)

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    I believe it's up to Penny Arcade to allow or not a vendor to sell or give away Pinny Arcade pins. I also believe it's up to the vendor to decide how to distribute them - but I'm gonna go ahead and say it's up to Penny Arcade to decide whether to allow the to have pins next time, and whether or not to impose conditions over distribution for next time.

It was bad, I'm sure all parties involved know this, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

I think the contract that they have is actually pretty loose on this. Given PA's approach to treating someone else's IP with respect, they are most likely to leave it up to the IP owner. I believe there is a minimum price stipulation based on conversations with Behemoth after Prime.

It might do PA well to alter things somewhat. Maybe it doesn't need to be ironclad in the contracts, but as @maywest‌ said on the podcast segment, these are Trading Pins. Saying one to each person means trades are unlikely. When we spoke to @Robert Khoo‌ one thing that was discussed was the minimum buy. Measuring booth throughput and coming up with an estimate for the right number of Pins would be a huge help. They should talk to Undead Labs, who apparently have gotten this down to a fine art.

I cannot speak highly of Undead Labs enough. Their staff were fantastic, and even though they were doing the "Do the Demo, Get a Pin" method, they were generous and understanding for those in Pin groups, especially with Australian pals. They ended PAX with just a few handfuls of Pins left (at least on the Moonrise side) and if every vendor used their method to estimate the throughput/Pin ratio it would help a lot. On the State of Decay side, even though they lacked sufficient demo stations (3 stations for a 20-30 minute demo means throughput of just 6-9/hr) they corrected as best they could by doubling up, so one person played and one could really talk and absorb what the vendor said. 6-18/hr is a larger variance but helps increase the average.

The throughput of the WotC (or rather Fireball) stand was very poor. Doing the Hunt for Garruk took at minimum one hour, because there was a wait to sign up and pay, then a wait whilst they put together the list, then a wait whilst they distributed the cards, and another wait whilst they distributed the prize tickets. Draft took even longer, and even though they were putting multiple people through at the same time the prize numbers meant that a lot of people did little besides play Magic.

One issue some people had was that the stuff on the prize wall was unavailable for purchase. T-shirts, other items as well as Pins were all prize only. Those who wanted them didn't want to spend that much time doing one thing at a convention with so many options.

• Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I didn't go to South either but the marking of your PAX badge isn't that out of the question. I remember a couple of years back when they gave out the Guild Wars 2 signed art book they punched each of our badges. There have been other times that they have marked my badge for other limited items.

Don't know if I necessarily agree with limiting pins to that extent but I guess it really is up to the people manning the booth. I mean look at The Order pin, that was flat out dumb but there is nothing you can really do about it.

dchoy on
    PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    dchoy wrote: »
    I didn't go to South either but the marking of your PAX badge isn't that out of the question. I remember a couple of years back when they gave out the Guild Wars 2 signed art book they punched each of our badges. There have been other times that they have marked my badge for other limited items.

Don't know if I necessarily agree with limiting pins to that extent but I guess it really is up to the people manning the booth. I mean look at The Order pin, that was flat out dumb but there is nothing you can really do about it.

The marking in and of itself isn't really the problem so much as the reason and attitude that came with it. One per person per convention breaks the idea of them being Trading Pins. Those with 3 single-day badges would have three chances to get the Pin, whilst 3 day badge holders get only one. (This assumes people don't find ways to remove the mark.) When this is pointed out, the staff apparently replied that they don't care.

"This pin is not actually a PAX product, it is a product of wizards of the coast"

Staff would actively prevent people trading by telling non-Pin traders that "the Pin is going for $50 on ebay."

Staff would grab the lanyard around your neck and pull it towards them to mark it without saying anything or even making eye contact first. If you didn't know what they were doing it could freak someone out.

As to there being nothing we can do about it, we can talk to those at PA. Khoo made it clear that despite us being a minority of a minority, the feedback we provide will be listened to. I doubt they will make radical changes to the system, but there will be small alterations. One thing that seems likely at some point is an increase in the minimum for vendors, which would help both hardcore and casual collectors alike, since an increase in the availability should decrease the fervour to rush and get them all first day of PAX and make it easier to trade to get extras for your Pin group.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I was able to buy some of the Ugin pins from MTG players that were looking to cash out their tickets, but I tried to do it just out of sight of the vendors so they didn't get themselves involved. It seemed to work; I was able to buy 4 extra Ugin pins at $10 each. I wish this wasn't necessary ... it would have been nice if they just could have let the pin collectors do their thing. With us being a minority, it seems like they could have just said "yeah, buy what you want", because most of the MTG fans would much rather buy packs or singles with their tix, or save up for the bigger prizes.

dgiab0m7h15x.png