As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MtG] Ascendancy Combo

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    hey bestow would set off jeskai ascendancy right?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    "curse of the black lotus" is a fantastic name for that story

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Also, at the end of the segment they refer to Ugin as "The Ugin." Fuckin' killed me.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    if only outpost siege was double red...

nAaBF8c.jpg
    ?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Yes.
    jgeis wrote: »
    Also, at the end of the segment they refer to Ugin as "The Ugin." Fuckin' killed me.

Yeah, and clearly the guy who pulled one got a regular pack Ugin rather than the chase promo Ugin, since he was able to play with it...

aside from the usual nerd nitpickery, I thought it was a pretty good episode and depiction.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Yes.

Yeah, and clearly the guy who pulled one got a regular pack Ugin rather than the chase promo Ugin, since he was able to play with it...

aside from the usual nerd nitpickery, I thought it was a pretty good episode and depiction.

Yeah, I agree.

Their intro image of the graded Black Lotus made me wonder why they didn't make mention of the insane values people are applying to graded cards from A/B right now. The other day, I saw a dude in a Facebook group put up scans of a pair of signed (over the case), graded Alpha Black Lotuses. One was an overall 9 and the other an overall 9.5, with all the subgrades at 9.5. He wanted $30k OBO for the 9 and $75K OBO for the 9.5.

Made my eyes water a little bit.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Double post

They do mention seeing a 25k Lotus at the end, although not all the grading and cases necessary to preserve that price, which sort of goes against the whole "game first, collectable second" theme, but that was mostly about the approach to new cards. It could have been a nice contrast though.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    did you cast that post with rebound?

• Options
    Narset is my co-poster.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Tynnan on
  • Options
    Myth Realized - W

Enchantment - Rare

Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, put a lore counter on Myth Realized.

2W: Put a lore counter on Myth Realized

W: Until end of turn, Myth Realized becomes a Monk Avatar creature in addition to its other types and gains "This creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of lore counters on it."

I have no idea what to think about this card. Seems like it could be good if you build a deck around it.

• Options
    I feel like Myth Realized could be a solid card for a control deck, given its low cost (CMC and activation) and reliance on noncreature spells. Just drop it on turn 1 and let it tick up while you hold down the board.

• Options
    I think it's most likely to be effective in a token-based aggro deck. Those need a resilient threat to mitigate sweepers, and can operate almost entirely from noncreature spells. I'd also imagine we've yet to see some useful rebound spells that will work nicely with this. Not to mention that I'm a fan of incidental flood insurance.

• Options
    Between this and Mastery, white's getting a real "non-creature beatdown" theme going.

It does give me nostalgia for those Urza block Opal enchantments that no one played.

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Yeah myth seems pretty good in modern. Like in a delver style, tempo/control deck (although it's incredible with lingering souls too). You can run it out early, it's completely bolt proof, dies to abrupt decay, but nothing else, and you win on tempo even if that happens. Damn I like that card a lot. I just wana play that dude, and jam gitaxian probe.

Also it's neat, his power/toughness is an always on ability that he gains. So he pumps at instant speed off of playing spells/activating his ability, even if after he's a creature.

• Options
    it seems incredibly vulnerable to me

• Options
    I dunno, being a creature only some of the time is built-in protection.

Yeah there's the potential of putting a lot of effort into building up a lot of counters just to have it die or get bounced, but it depends how much of that effort is dedicated or incidental. If your deck is playing a lot of noncreature spells anyway, it's a fine turn one investment to get more value out of them. If all you're doing is dumping mana into it instead of playing actual cards, you're going to have a bad time.

• Options
    It dies to... stuff.. but he costs 1. Even if he gets like, ultimate priced when you activate him you spent 2 mana total (but split up between two turns) and they spent 2 mana total and needed to keep that mana up on their turn which is probably a minor tempo victory. Enchant removal kills him but meh. So it's kind of like delver, in that, you are only ever investing 1 mana into him and one card, and he dies to everything, but left unchecked (or if you protect it) it's going to be a big threat.

• Options
    Doesn't die to sweepers!

ITS THE NEW MUTAVAULT AHHHH

• Options
    Yeah his 3 mana pump thing is like... where you put your mana when you held up instant speed removal/counters and your opponent opted to do nothing on their turn.

I might try jamming him into the modern delver/tassigur/angler list I've been working on in modern... I run 4x smallpox and this guy lets me jam him turn 1 then smallpox turn 2 and not lose him. Whereas delver kind of locks me into delver agro until he gets killed.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Bwhahahaa Clone Legion is so silly

I love it

KalTorak on
  • Options
    it dies to sweepers when it's in creature mode

perilous vault and enchantment hate are both coming back into vogue as well

• Options
    Well yeah, Mutavault dies to sweepers when it's in creature mode. The point is that it's not always in creature mode.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    en_aUEBtE4E2o.png

Playable, but this is the only command that can't do anything without a condition being met (that condition being having a creature). Worst case scenario, Atarka's command does 3 damage to the opponent, Kolaghan does 2 damage to the opponent or a creature, Ojutai gains 4 life and draws a card, and Silumgar bounces a permanent (although you can't cast Silumgar without one of the other conditions being met, which is pretty crappy). Still, at 2 mana this card is really versatile, so its definitely playable.

• Options
    Enchantment hate is rough, (though I'm more interested in modern where it's maybe coming in sideboard if that). But even then, it cost you 1.

If your opponent needs to blow a vault to deal with your 1 drop.... you are winning.

• Options
    Anyway I hope everyone doesn't like him, because I want 1 dollar pre-orders on these guys.

• Options
    If you don't have a creature, you can cast the command as long as an instant/sorcery is on the stack.

Still, instant-speed two mana Hunt the Weak is pretty solid, and countering Anger of the Gods can be pretty important.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i wish the first mode was something else but otherwise still pretty good

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I'll run that command for fights and enchantment hate

• Options
    I'm thinking of a RW Token Aggro shell with maindeck Myth Realized and Chained to the Rocks, which I can board out against Abzan opponents.

This isn't a build-around-me card, it's a one-drop with incremental advantage. I'm not depending on it to win me the game, just to get some damage in and make my opponents' lines of play a bit more awkward.

• Options
    Someone want to make a new thread? I'm on my phone.

• Options
    Sure, I'll whip something up

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

That is some Hank Hill shit. I love it.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to make new threads before the old one is locked

• Options
    Sorry, first time I've made one. How's it supposed to work?

• Options
    well I mean

a mod will lock the old thread at some point after it reaches 100 pages

then someone makes a new thread

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Sorry, first time I've made one. How's it supposed to work?

This one gets locked whenever a mod gets around to it, and then you make a new one

until then you keep posting in the old one to see how many bonus pages you can get

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Gotcha, my mistake.

This discussion has been closed.