As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MtG] Ascendancy Combo

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Commander Decks are like... the exact opposite of an introductory product.

Hopped into a MTGO prerelease and opened a miserable pile of shit. Running Black/White Turd-Warriors with maindeck Harsh Sustenance like a complete mongo.

Felt awesome choosing Jeskai and getting zero playable blue or red cards.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Maindeck Harsh Sustenance isn't the worst thing ever.

and at least feel good about not being afraid to jettison your clan. I picked Sultai at my second prerelease and definitely should have run red, but didn't.

• Options
    First round opponent Cloudform'd his Atarka. Then Pyrotechnic'd my whole board. It was delightful.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Holy moly.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Good god

• Options
    Round Two opponent conceded the match after I doused his Soulfire Grandmaster in gloom.

Now that's how you MODO.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    You certainly polished that turd of a pool into a winning deck.

That's how you Magic.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Since tom ross is dreamy and I want to be his boyfriend, and since he put up a revised post-dc jeskai tokens list yesterday that is delightfully similar to what I built (although his list is a product of careful thought and mine was a product of indecisiveness and card availability), I'm going to go the the jerk store for jerks and play tokens against real decks tonight. If I do reasonably well then I'll stay on it and Tom will notice me and ask me to go to the movies, and if I fall flat on my face then I'll turn back to grinding sligh against the gauntlet and trying to find something that works.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    tom ross is a literal planeswalker

there is no other explanation for his skill at this game

• Options
    This is what I'm working with in this queue:
    f2g2m8qt6bgt.jpg

I should most definitely be splashing Siege Rhino instead of Mardu Roughriders, but A) I have no Blossoming Sands, Jungle Hollow, or other colorless means of fixing, and B) I was being a bit close-minded regarding the WARRRRRRRIORS aspect of the deck.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    triple sandsteppe outcast, though

double battle brawler

looks like you cobbled something pretty decent!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    sandsteppe outcast is The Business

• Options
    Round three opponent let Archfiend of Depravity wipe his entire board. I asked him "did you misread the trigger?"

His response: "I thought MTGO would choose for me. lol."

:(

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    heh, sounds like a real ""modo dodo""

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

So prerelease opponents are odd then.

• Options
    I blame Hearthstone.

• Options
    I'm waiting for the story about some opponent who doesnt put any lands in his deck because he thought the game would give him the mana.

That's be awesome,

• Options
    Last night I attacked into a lone caryatid, planning on frenzied goblining right past. Ability hit the stack, game wont let me target caryatid. I remember the hexproof, only now I can't figure out how to back up. So I used goblin on himself on my own turn. yay.

• Options
    So, Hexproof is still an ability I wish didn't exist, and the the Sieges are all fucking stupid cards in this poorly-thought out prerelease format. Like, great, I get more packs of new cards that all suck and can't destroy enchantments.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    did someone get silumgar'd

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    merciless executioner that silumgar

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    yeah, i think i had one way to get rid of enchantments in my 2hg pre-release even, and it was a 'target player sacrifices an enchantment', which didn't guarantee it'd kill a siege. We lost to Palace Siege alone twice.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Last night I attacked into a lone caryatid, planning on frenzied goblining right past. Ability hit the stack, game wont let me target caryatid. I remember the hexproof, only now I can't figure out how to back up. So I used goblin on himself on my own turn. yay.

Technically that happens any time Frenzied Goblin attacks alone (or your opponent has no targetable creatures); the trigger ability is mandatory, even if actually paying for the effect is optional. So if your opponent has a Frost Walker out, you can swing your Goblin into it, target it with the ability, and the Walker will die even if you don't pay the mana!

Reminds me of playing Goblin Shortcutter onto an empty board during M14. Goblins apparently make themselves unable to block a lot.

• Options
    That's the way mtgo handles it, but reading the Oracle text does not make it sound like a mandatory trigger at all.

Whenever Frenzied Goblin attacks, you may pay Red. If you do, target creature can't block this turn.

• Options
    The trigger goes on the stack if there's a legal target when the Goblin attacks. Once it resolves, you choose whether or not to pay R. If you do, the target can't block. If you don't, the target is unchanged, but it was still the target of the ability. Same with Yasova, Shu Yun, and a handful of other "you may pay X; if you do, Y" effects.

• Options
    So I won with red devo

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    mardu did really really bad tonight so i dont trust it for the ptq

i think i might just convert it into rw, which seems to carry the aggressive plays mardu had but all the time instead of going "well sometimes i can play control but then lose because i run out of resources"

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I had a similar experience with mardu, I would think that I could control the game but that was not correct.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    in my defense it was the 3rd rhino at which point i was out of crackling dooms and shit one round

abzan is super frustrating. you can be a potato and as long as you have 4 mana and can turn a dude sideways for roc you're good

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    well, I went undefeated with temur combo tonight

that deck is stupid

• Options
    So I won with red devo

decklist
    Creatures (28)

3 Ashcloud Phoenix
    4 Fanatic of Mogis
    4 Flamewake Phoenix
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Mardu Scout
    2 Stormbreath Dragon
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    2 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Planeswalker
    1 Chandra

Lands (25)

11 Mountain
    4 Battlefield Forge
    4 Temple of Triumph
    3 Wind-Scarred Crag
    3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

Spells (7)

3 Chained to the Rocks
    2 Valorous Stance
    2 Hammer of Purphoros

Sideboard
    3 Magma Spray
    2 Valorous Stance
    2 Chandra, Pyromaster
    3 Glare of Heresy
    2 Harness by Force
    2 Sarkhan
    1 Elspeth

running 3 ashclouds only because i didn't have 4, replaced with a chandra

didn't really know what to do with the last three slots of my sideboard so i threw PWs in there instead of scouring sands or arc lightning or something

flamewake phoenix felt like the weakest card in the deck, never activated its ferocious, wasn't sad that the 2 damage was there but felt very eh

R1 was against a mardu warriors deck which surprised me g1 but as soon as i knew what it was doing i pretty much pooed on it
    the 3/3 golem from hammer did work and haste let me do ridic alpha strikes with fanatic/purph

R2 was bog standard abzan midrange, got stuck on land game 1 but post-board the glares helped me feel very in control, ran over with hasted ashclouds g2 and just farted out two fanatics g3

R3 was a temur deck that i basically just dismantled, g1 he played nothing until polukranos probably because he thought i was on burn, g2 i drew every chained to the rocks in my deck

R4 was sultai goodstuff, drew three rabbles g1 and won, lost to ugin g2, drew two fantaics g3 and won

R5 was a buddy of mine on u/w heroic so we split packs and played shitty games for shits and giggles

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    fartin out fanatics is the #1 reason to play red devotion

• Options
    also really like dash on the shield surfer

great on the draw when your opponent slams out t2 carytid

deck felt way weak to ugin tho you basically have to recover the turn after you get wiped or the decks that run ugin will never let anything last a turn after that

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The deal with Abzan, for what I saw at the open, is that you can deal with Siege Rhino #1. It gets inceasingly difficult very fast to deal with #2 and #3. Usually #3 is GG.

Some cool Modern decks and the reaction after the initial shock:

http://themeadery.org/articles/modern-acceptance-hope

Like that someone besides me sees that Valorous Stance is probably the best card to come out of Fate Reforged, or at least it goes neck-to-neck against Tasigur.

• Options
    devo in general feels so much more hasty now, i had a lot of sudden alpha strikes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    fnm was supposed to be standard tonight but because 3 dudes threw a loud fit, the store changed to draft at last minute. KTK FRF FRF

They wanted to do triple FRF, I tried to explain why that was not great, they countered with, 'but we all have all the khans stuff we want'. When I suggested that we could just buy FRF packs, they looked at me like I was an idiot/asshole. One KTK was the compromise.

Draft sucked, half the people there had no idea how to draft, packs going the wrong way all over, random stacks of cards everywhere, counts were never right. it did nothing to assuage my hatred of draft.

Did get to just sit and play some games against ub control and temur ascendancy. Tokens can play around sweepers really well, possibly was just playing a bad player but the match up felt super lopsided . Not sure how I should be approaching big green decks, though. Felt like all the games I won were either off a crazy nut draw or them getting screwed on draws.

Knob on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I'm assuming this was at the asshole shop?

• Options
    you'd think a cool people shop for cool dudes like that would have designated draft days

my shop gets about 30 people for standard fnm and has draft on thursdays and commander on mondays

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    The deal with Abzan, for what I saw at the open, is that you can deal with Siege Rhino #1. It gets inceasingly difficult very fast to deal with #2 and #3. Usually #3 is GG.

Some cool Modern decks and the reaction after the initial shock:

http://themeadery.org/articles/modern-acceptance-hope

Like that someone besides me sees that Valorous Stance is probably the best card to come out of Fate Reforged, or at least it goes neck-to-neck against Tasigur.

i was mostly just mad at how linear abzan is for its power level

the other game i lost to it i like, got hit with multiple wingmate rocs consecutively and i wanted to kill myself

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    The Betman wrote: »
    well, I went undefeated with temur combo tonight

that deck is stupid

List?

This discussion has been closed.