As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Soulless Gabe" misprint from PAX South

zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
Hey guys! First of all, it was an absolute pleasure to meet most of you at South! You guys really opened my world up to the depth and fun of pin trading and I cannot thank you guys enough for sharing your knowledge and helping a newbie out with trades and information!

As some of you saw at South, I found a misprinted cowboy Gabe missing his eyeballs. Several people called him "soulless Gabe" so I'm going with it! Did anybody else happen to see one of these? I looked all weekend and I couldn't find any like it. Jerry, Mike and Khoo also all thought it was unique. If it is unique, what kind of value does it have? Is it one of those things that will just be cool to have, or is it going to be worth a decent amount? Thanks in advance for any information!6qqvnq44fayc.jpg

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If you're looking to retire you might be out of luck, but you could probably get a decent trade for it from some of the crazier people here.

• Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    It's not a misprint. Doesn't someone around here have a word for when paint isn't filled in?

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Itsanotsogood.

• Options
    Geometric CubeGeometric Cube Registered User regular
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    It's not a misprint. Doesn't someone around here have a word for when paint isn't filled in?

Ummm, yea it is. That wasn't the intended outcome of the print for that pin, hence, misprint.

• Options
    I don't know what to tell you man. But a small amount of paint isn't filled in. It's not like a 10th Anniversary shield with different colors, and lettering. Like I said I'm pretty sure there was a few days worth of discussion over this.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    misfills

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

• Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The pupils either haven't been screen printed in or have managed to rub off prior to distribution. So I wouldn't necessarily label it a misprint but there have been staff pins with similar anomalies in the past. A novelty for sure but not something heaps of people will covet I think.

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    Geometric CubeGeometric Cube Registered User regular
    lol, literally the same meaning, different word. Or it would be if it wasn't a made up one. Either way, again, exact same meaning when it comes down to it. Not going to argue anymore.

• Options
    Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    Yeah, what Duckie said. The circumstances would have to be different in order to increase the desirability for most collectors. For example, if the enamel fill on the scarf was a pink hue for the first few hundred pins and it was caught but they were carded and sent out with the reds anyways, we'd all be tearing at each other's throats for the variants.

Or I suppose I should say politely but aggressively seeking. A single error is an oddity, a specific number of batch manufacturing "misprints" becomes a variant. Also, I feel like the error either has to be with the die casting or enamel coloring or additional silk screen ink was printed. It's too easy to create that anomaly yourself by scraping the ink off of a normal pin with your fingernail.

TL;DR - no, it's an oddity. With the standard caveat that the value of something is whatever someone else is willing to give you for it.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    misfills
    Technically this one would be a misprint rather than a misfill, because of the way eyes and other small details are added to Pins.

A rubber stamp rolls over the ink, then over the Pin. The eyes are quite literally printed on, so when they are missed, misprint.

The larger colours are filled with resin, so that kind of error is a misfill.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    http://youtu.be/k_EH_eHnHzY

This part of the video.

Edit: 4:16, since the forum doesn't like embedded times.

PedroAsani on
  • Options
    2slayeru2slayeru Mount Gambier, South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    very interesting video

• Options
    The real question here is what @00Fayt00‌ would be willing to trade for such a pin?

• Options
    RaynerRayner Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for that Video, I loved watching those How It's Made Videos.

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    I told him what I thought it was worth trade wise to someone like me. I have enough with my second misprint now though ;)

• Options
    And what did you tell him?

• Options
    Hitchhiker DentHitchhiker Dent Registered User regular
    The more you know. Thanks for posting that video.

• Options
    Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    I think it classifies as a misprint, although there are many levels of misprints, many, many of which don't increase the value of a pin (some even might lower it).

In this case, I do not think it does much for it's perceived value - although as it is all the time in the case of oddities, it's only worth something if you find the right guy who wants it, then it can be worth a lot to that person!

The more unlikely a misprint (such as, PAX AUS on a PAX Prime pin), the higher the chance of it being perceived as very valuable. Just 2 blobs of missing paint? Not as much, it's only an omission, not something done differently. Now, if we had a pin with RED eyes instead of black eyes, that would be something awesome (and very unlikely).

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!
  • Options
    HappendyHappendy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have a three legged corgi pin...
    I'll also look at my pins later to see if there are any mistakes there.