As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Man Makes $900 Burger At A McDonald's Build-Your-Own Kiosk

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I've made my own sushi before.

http://www.mitsuwa.com/

bam, good quality fresh fish

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    sushi is really cheap to make yourself.

seriously it takes like 2-3 failed practice rolls and you're good to go.

buy the nori, sushi rice and mirrin in larger quantities, they will keep pretty well.

shop for fresh fish on the day you want to make them and remember that 200 gr of fresh fish will make about 4-5 rolls of sushi (so thats x 5-6 pieces depending on how thin you slice them)

I didn't think sushi usually involved mirrin?

I usually go the full lazy route and just make sashimi donburi though.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I've made my own sushi before.

http://www.mitsuwa.com/

bam, good quality fresh fish

Every time I've been to Mitsuwa, I've looked longingly at their fresh seafood/meat section and wished I didn't live an hour+ drive away. I guess I could get a cooler ready next time and bring stuff home that way.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    well then people need to learn the difference between 'secret menu' and 'crazy make up whatever you feel like menu'

Yeah...i followed that link to the article about the 'secret' mcdonalds menu.

Squishing the same food into a ball is not a secret.

:o

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm partial to the Arby's Chicken Bacon and Swiss.

It is super bad for me, but tastes good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Any sushi chef will tell you that the rice is more important than the fish

and I've had plenty of home made sushi that had shitty, soggy garbage rice

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Inquisitor wrote: »

buy the nori, sushi rice and mirrin in larger quantities, they will keep pretty well.

shop for fresh fish on the day you want to make them and remember that 200 gr of fresh fish will make about 4-5 rolls of sushi (so thats x 5-6 pieces depending on how thin you slice them)

i was tought to bring up the flavour of the rice by adding a bit of mirrin and rice vinegar. It might not be traditional but it didn't seemd farfetched to me.

@#pipe counterpoint: i've had plenty of non home made sushi with shitty rice. It was just more expensive.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    counter counter point: some people suck at cooking

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You can't suck at cooking. You can suck at complex dishes, but you can't suck at something as simple as putting eggs into a pan and stirring them around until they're not runny anymore. Or tossing a pork roast into a crockpot with a can of Coke and putting it on low for 8 hours. Or cutting up bits of chicken and cooking them in another pan until they're not pink in the middle anymore.

Cooking is not like art, it's just following simple directions and it will come out just fine.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I know people who would literally screw up any of those things.

• Options
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    there are plenty of people who suck at following simple directions

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    You can totally screw up eggs quite a bit.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    You can't suck at cooking. You can suck at complex dishes, but you can't suck at something as simple as putting eggs into a pan and stirring them around until they're not runny anymore. Or tossing a pork roast into a crockpot with a can of Coke and putting it on low for 8 hours. Or cutting up bits of chicken and cooking them in another pan until they're not pink in the middle anymore.

Cooking is not like art, it's just following simple directions and it will come out just fine.

you know what I meant, Ratatouille

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

I don't even understand how unless someone's trying to be gourmet. It's cracking the eggs into a pan, stirring them until they're not runny anymore, then they just stop cooking and take them out.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Cooking is like art.

You can do something very simple that gets your point across really quickly and efficiently (stick figures or basic grilled cheese/etc).

You can do something incredibly complex that takes up large amounts of time.

There's all sorts of things in the middle, too, and some people are better at it than others.

Cooking is -totally- an art.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It is easy to take some eggs and make something edible.

But it can be hard to make them taste good.

• Options
    A lot of people cook eggs on way too high of heat.

They get brown bits, and to me that's messing it up.

• Options
    It is easy to take some eggs and make something edible.

But it can be hard to make them taste good.

Black pepper, some salt, garlic powder, onion powder. Those four spices will never steer someone wrong.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Fwiw I think garlic powder is gross.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    especially in eggs...ugh.

• Options

Cooking is a skill.

You need to learn what "done" means with all the different things you cook. You need to learn when to use salt and how much, which flavours taste good with other flavours. You need to learn how to use your tools and which tools to use.

You're projecting all kinds of assumptions when you say "crack eggs into a pan and cook until it's not runny"

How many eggs?
    how do I crack them?
    What kind of pan?
    how hot?
    what do I stir them with?
    How fast do I stir them?
    what do you mean by "runny"?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

If I was a dick I would post this in the food thread

But yeah you're about as wrong as you could be

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    You're falling into the trap of "well this information is totally obvious/common sense to me, therefore everybody must know it, therefore it is impossible to screw this up because it's so simple."

I used to work in restaurants that sold burgers and it took me until about two years after I'd left to realize the reason burgers taste like crap when I cook them at home is because I'm not putting any seasoning on them.

Likewise, it can be easy to look at an egg in a pan and go, "eh, I don't think it's done yet" and end up with a plastic-like, overcooked egg that isn't really edible.

"cutting up bits of chicken" is so impossibly easy to fuck up before you even get to the cooking part that I just can't even address it properly in passing.

Bottom line is if you don't understand how common it is for someone to be fundamentally incapable of following simple, straightforward directions to perform a task they're not already comfortable doing then let me tell you how lucky your life is.

e: also wrt seasoning I have a peppercorn grinder and I bought a thing of rainbow peppercorns and I mix one part that, one part garlic powder, one part table salt, and one half part onion salt and let me tell you that is some damn tasty shit.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Cooking is definitely a learned skill, yeah, and it's one where the only real way to learn it to do it. The people in the world who make the best steaks in the world basically figured out how by doing all stuff wrong and promising never to do it again

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I'm happy and grateful that my parents always included us kids in cooking (and other household stuff) so when I started living on my own I already had a solid foundation.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Celery salt also works.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I really enjoy cooking. I've done it a bunch. I like buying kitchen utensils and equipment. I have 3 different chef's knives with different shapes for different purposes and I know how to hone them with a steel. I watch all kinds of cooking shows on TV and Youtube.

I still wouldn't say I am a good cook.

There's a whole bunch of self doubt wrapped up in cooking and making something for other people to eat. It scares a lot of people. A good friend of mine is a chef and she makes decent money on the side teaching people how to boil water for pasta, how to slice onions, how to combine ground beef and a pre-mixed spice packet to make tacos.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Not usually, but some people us it in place of sugar.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Any sushi chef will tell you that the rice is more important than the fish

and I've had plenty of home made sushi that had shitty, soggy garbage rice

Well it's not more important but it's certainly much harder to prepare correctly.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

I don't even understand how unless someone's trying to be gourmet. It's cracking the eggs into a pan, stirring them until they're not runny anymore, then they just stop cooking and take them out.

Have you heard the Dan Ryckert eggwhite story?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Following cooking directions, and cooking correctly, is a skill not art. Modifying, and especially making new, dishes easily falls under the creative umbrella of "art".

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Following cooking directions, and cooking correctly, is a skill not art. Modifying, and especially making new, dishes easily falls under the creative umbrella of "art".

Yeah, I'd generally consider cooking, as a term, to refer to the latter

The former is just making food

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Pfft, everybody knows that science is an art, and art is a science.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    But is cooking a video game?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    But is cooking a video game?

yes

cook serve delicious, on sale now

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Cooking is a craft, not an art, according to Anthony Bourdain's book that I am reading now.

I'm inclined to agree. It's more like carpentry or pottery than painting or sculpting.

Of course you can also be artistic with it, just as you can be artistic while building a bench, but the function is more important than the form.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Cooking is a craft, not an art, according to Anthony Bourdain's book that I am reading now.

I'm inclined to agree. It's more like carpentry or pottery than painting or sculpting.

Of course you can also be artistic with it, just as you can be artistic while building a bench, but the function is more important than the form.

Pottery is absolutely an art and I'm pretty sure carpentry is too.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    The best example I can come up with is something super basic, spaghetti with meatballs.

My wife will make it for us sometimes. She'll buy a jar of sauce, a box of spaghetti and some ground beef, then mix the ground beef with a little spice/egg to make meatballs and chop up some jalapenos into the sauce. It's really tasty! Especially since I don't have to do any work.

When I make spaghetti and meatballs, it is a -production-. First I'll mix some dough and then run it through my pasta maker to make my own spaghetti noodles. I'll crush tomatoes, mince garlic and onions and make my own sauce. I'll get some pork and beef cuts and run them through my meat grinder while baking the moisture out of some bread so I can use it to make my own breadcrumbs, and then stuff the meatballs with a little parmesan.

Does the end result taste better? I don't know! But while what we're making is, on the surface, the same, they are two completely different meals to prepare.

Cooking's an art. You can definitely make an edible and reasonably tasty meal with minimal experience, but you can also take it much, much further and, through a knowledge of what tastes good together and what techniques you need to get the most flavour out of any piece of food, come up with your own combinations and dishes.

I'm far from a great cook, but I love cooking. My wife can cook as a skill, but I cook as an art, and I think the biggest difference is that she sees it as a necessary chore, while I see it as a great chance to express creativity.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Bourdain does restaraunt cooking. That is a craft.

Home cooking is an art.

Baking is a science.

Coffee is also a science.

This discussion has been closed.