As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Only in Death Does Nerdrage End.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    To me, 'aeldari' suggest we may see a greater blurring of the line between craftworld eldar and dark eldar.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    To me, 'aeldari' suggest we may see a greater blurring of the line between craftworld eldar and dark eldar.

I think some rumours have been suggesting that aeldari only refers to Craftworld Eldar, but blending the factions a bit more would make a ton of sense both mechanically and fluffwise if Ynnead is actually showing up.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Wait wait wait

40k is getting End Times too? Are they going to at least keep the 40k universe and not kill everyone off? I mean they're already doing the name change thing. I'm sorry but I am 100% not on board with the "Aeldari"

I believe their moving closer to there in order to bring out the big guns (like Primarchs coming back) but going full endtimes.
    Fluff-wise, a Valkyrie would be operated by the Imperial Navy, not the IG or Astra Militarum. I'm thinking when I get around to painting mine it should be a different paint scheme than my ground vehicles. Only, would I go with a standard uniform color, or a winter camouflage scheme, since my IG are Valhallans. Any thoughts? Here is a pic of my vehicle scheme as an example:
    [/URL]

Asuming money is not an issue, I'd go with different shade of white on top and a blue bottom (blends in with the sky if someone below looks up)

Lore wise, I'd think the Imp Navy would see the value of camo but never go the same color scheme. Unless you wwnt the uniform look of course!

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Imp. Navy would probably go with the battlefleet colors.

Which probably doesn't help since there's a bare handful of canonized battlefleet color schemes. (Gothic I always see as green, Koronus is blue-grey w/ gold trim, Bakka is red, Armageddon is yellow?)

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wait wait wait

40k is getting End Times too?

Possibly in the sense of it being a big status quo shakeup? People are using the term End Times as kind've a callback to all the big events during Fantasy's own End Times, but the feeling is that things might not be quite as apocalyptic in the 40k version.

Just realizing parallels between Ynnead and Nagash - both lords of the dead, come to save the day from Chaos. Hopefully Ynnead is nicer.
    One of the rumors I heard was a consolidation of codices, something like Imperium, Xenos (good), Xenos (bad), and Chaos, with Tyranids and Orks just being "forces of nature" armies that are wrapped into the main rulebook. Not sure how likely that is but it would be nice to see some consolidation since depending on what army you are playing you could be pulling information from two or three different books for your base army, and that's before you even start to think about allies.

Dunno how likely that is - I think the rumor came out of the way AoS does it, with the 4 overfactions of Order, Chaos, Death, and Destruction, but I think the idea there was to give broad categories for factions to ally with. I.e. any 'Order' faction could ally, but Order and Destruction armies couldn't. Don't know how well all the 40k factions fall into that system - Imperium can ally with xenos in some cases, and I can't see Tyranids and Orks ever allying with anyone.
    Burnage wrote: »
    I think some rumours have been suggesting that aeldari only refers to Craftworld Eldar, but blending the factions a bit more would make a ton of sense both mechanically and fluffwise if Ynnead is actually showing up.

I did read somewhere that the dark eldar were getting another name as well, and it wouldn't just be 'dark aeldari'.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Adarki aeldari

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    They aren't AoSing anything. Trust me.

That said, that decade where the setting's status quo remained essestially the same 24/7 just ended with Cadia.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Things wot need fixing in 40k:
    Psychic phases jesus christ
    Fliers
    general balance between shootin and close combattin
    the weird arbitrary line between monsters and vehicles needs to be looked at
    overhaul the morale system so it doesnt completely screw over some armies while others just ignore it completely.
    Remove Soul Blaze from the game and everyone try and pretend it never existed

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    They aren't AoSing anything. Trust me.

That said, that decade where the setting's status quo remained essestially the same 24/7 just ended with Cadia.

Which is cool, but I really hope GW understands pacing and doesn't just add another metaplot campaign every three months or so ad infinitum. Get this (trilogy?) of books out, then let it settle for a while.

Once every few years, moving things on, that would be cool. Every few months or every year? Waaaaay to fast for me. Miniature gaming is a really slow paced hobby, what with the assembling and painting of armies that can take your average joe years. GWs old release schedule used to reflect that - 4 to 5 years between editions and codexes. Then suddenly things went to breakneck speed and all the local hobbyists haven't been able to keep up.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Aeldari Obscuri

Anyway, 40k doesn't need to go full AoS. However, it absolutely needs an update that incorporates the 'lessons learned' from AoS to streamline and better compartmentalize the rules.

I haven't played 40k in a long time and lately I've been getting the itch but every time I think about actually putting models down I decide I'd rather play AoS. I prefer the setting and models for 40k but AoS is just a much better game.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    5th edition rules with 7th edition armies plz

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So the first leaks from the next campaign bookk are coming out and it sure looks like Aeldari seems to be more than just what Ahriman calls the Eldar.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Good guy chaos daemons?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Heck, Seraphon in AoS literally have the Daemon keyword nowadays.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Please no.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The Avatar (of Kaine) has had the daemon keyword since 2nd edition if I remember correctly.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Good guy chaos daemons?

Good guy order daemons.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I mean, technically daemons are anything from the warp, yeah? So, if there are benevolent, Eldar made things in the warp well, "good" daemons there you go.

Good in quotes because lol at the idea of Eldar being good.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    McGibs wrote: »
    Good guy chaos daemons?

Good guy order daemons.

Given activating the avatar requires basically a blood sacrifice of a "volunteer" from what I recall at best its a demon on a leash.

• Options
    The Avatar is only more controlled in comparison to a khorne daemon as a serial killer is more controlled than a berserker.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    New name for the Dark Eldar is Drukhari
    I like it

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I like it

I'm never going to use any of their funky copyright names, like Duardin instead of Dwarves, or Drukhari instead of Dark Eldar but, I also get that GW has gotta do what they gotta do to protect their IP.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So, as I understand it, the main reason the Eldar are in any way "good" is not because of some belief in a moral code, but because of their fear of falling into Slaanesh's hands. If Ynnead is indeed created/awoken/whatever, and does indeed defeat/pacify/merge with/whatever Slaanesh, will the Eldar have any real incentive not to start getting all decadent and torture-y?

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I mean, the Dark Eldar primarily torture to vampire out their souls because slannesh is nibbling on their own. So, presumably, the craftworlders have less reason to be "good", but dark eldar have less reason to be "bad". So maybe they'll meet somewhere in the middle and just be horrible assholes like everyone else in the galaxy.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    So, as I understand it, the main reason the Eldar are in any way "good" is not because of some belief in a moral code, but because of their fear of falling into Slaanesh's hands. If Ynnead is indeed created/awoken/whatever, and does indeed defeat/pacify/merge with/whatever Slaanesh, will the Eldar have any real incentive not to start getting all decadent and torture-y?

Other than not creating another pervert goddess? Possibly not...
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I like it

I'm never going to use any of their funky copyright names, like Duardin instead of Dwarves, or Drukhari instead of Dark Eldar but, I also get that GW has gotta do what they gotta do to protect their IP.

I actually really like duardin. I think it sounds cool and actually distinct from the original name. I know that orruks is actually pronounced the same as 'orcs' but I can't help saying 'oh-ruuk'. 'Aelves' is the worst though. They should've just called them aeldari too. Having orcs and orks never bothered people, using the same name for fantasy elves and space elves would've been fine.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The third syllable in aeldari just makes it cumbersome and awkward sounding.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I mean, technically daemons are anything from the warp, yeah? So, if there are benevolent, Eldar made things in the warp well, "good" daemons there you go.

Good in quotes because lol at the idea of Eldar being good.

In the Fall of Cadia book activating the warp-blocking pylons banished minor demons and weakened major ones... and banished the Legion of the Damned and weakened Saint Celestine.

Personally I really like the idea of the LotD being basically Imperial Daemons and Living Saints being Imperial Daemon Princes, because well, y'know it makes sense that's how they'd work? All the magical stuff in the setting is from the warp, for good or for ill.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    'Daemons' has typically referred to servants of the Chaos Gods, and most of these are actually tiny slivers of the Chaos Gods power lorewise. But there are other warp entities besides manifestations of the Chaos Gods power; I figure the Legion of the Damned are kind've like daemon princes - mortal souls that became suffused with warp energy and ascended to become immortal warp entities. But instead of a Chaos God shaping the transformation, their faith in the Emperor shaped it, and so they became ascendant souls devoted to Him. Makes sense, since daemonic entities are also made of souls that entered the Warp. If it had the strength of will and could control the infusion of enough warp energy, a soul that entered the warp could keep existing more or less as itself and become a warp entity.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    So they might actually be destroying Biel-Tan? GW are not holding back!

• Options
    AE is a ligature that turned into the Swedish letter Ä.

Så Aeldari -> Eldari to me. :rotate:

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Echo wrote: »
    Heh.

(also do you know Å, the international capital of lutefisk? :P )

Mayday on
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Heh.

goddamnit

Write one Swedish letter, brain flips to Swedish. :rotate: (so = så)

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Oh, I know, I thought that was deliberate and really funny. Turns out it's just really funny.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Lezta wrote: »
    So they might actually be destroying Biel-Tan? GW are not holding back!

Ignore me I've just seen the leaks!

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Makes sense, since daemonic entities are also made of souls that entered the Warp. If it had the strength of will and could control the infusion of enough warp energy, a soul that entered the warp could keep existing more or less as itself and become a warp entity.

I was under the impression that the Chaos Gods, and by extension daemons, were a gestalt of emotion and intent. The warp is a parallel dimension that is in perfect tune with realspace, but instead of being comprised of matter, it is solely a reflection of the psychic energy present in realspace. Khorne is the most powerful Chaos God because the galaxy is at constant war, and Khorne is made of all the rage, wrath, and hatred that has existed since the beginning of time. AFAIK, the warp was actually a peaceful environment until the War in Heaven, which poisoned it with so much negative emotion that Khorne, Tzeentch, and Nurgle all came into being. Daemons, as I understand them, are lesser aspects of the emotional collectives that make up the various Warp entities. I think it's fair to say that the Emperor is now such an entity, due to the immense amount of faith in him that humanity constantly projects into the warp. His lesser manifestations are Saints and probably the Legion of the Damned. Actually, Saints are pretty close to Daemon Princes, in that they are living material beings infused with warp energy.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The books title is actually literal. Super literal.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Lotta heresy going on in here. All talk of the Emperor becoming a warp entity is blasphemy created by the Chaos gods to lead men astray from His guiding light.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Heh.

goddamnit

Write one Swedish letter, brain flips to Swedish. :rotate: (so = så)

If it helps any, I've been learning Swedish for the last 18 months and wasn't phased at all by that.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Isn't the Eldar's name for the C'tan also at least inspired by Swedish/norwegian/danish? They're the Young Ones / Yngir who fought a war against the Old Ones?

From the leaks I'm not actually sure what the Craftworld Eldar are now called. As I understand it Drukhari is for the Dark Eldar, Ynnari for the followers of Ynnead, and Aeldari for all the Eldar united as they were before the fall.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    So, as I understand it, the main reason the Eldar are in any way "good" is not because of some belief in a moral code, but because of their fear of falling into Slaanesh's hands.

No, as the Eldar were the ones who said, 'we're not down with this shit, see ya!' before doing a couple of donuts in their craftworlds and then peeling out. The Dark Eldar were the ones who stayed behind and were down with the whole 'nothing is forbidden, everything is allowed,' which was only further exacerbated after Slaneesh popped up and doing bad things helped keep the DE's souls from being eaten.

This discussion has been closed.