As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: Onto a comical new season

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Sooooo... There's a trailer for Equestria Girls 3 that just dropped. And apparently the movie comes out on September 26th? That feels fast.

You can check out the trailer via the EqD post here (Can't find it on YouTube yet Found it on YouTube. Posted under the spoiler). It's sorta spoilery, so be warned.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PcoIk3fRZU

I'm pretty sure I saw Twilight open a portal to what looked like the Everfree in Equestria. I'm wondering if that means we'll see more world-blurring / portal crossing going on. Ostensibly from the premise, this could be the first movie where Equestria isn't even referenced, and everything stays in the EqG world, so that's an interesting thing to have happen.

Kinda going to be interesting to see this world's Twilight, though. I'm excited to see how she meshes with the rest of the group. Ever since that teaser at the end of Rainbow Rocks I've been wondering how they'd handle that!

EDIT: Oh! Interesting note: Apparently this one isn't going to theaters. It's set to premiere on Discovery Family on the 26th of September.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    The Sunset/Sci-Twi spinny scene from that. The gif would be like 13 mb so have a link.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Yo Sunset!
    What'd you do to the human version of Sunset?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Someone check the cornfield.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I never ever stopped to consider what happened to human Sunset. Huh. Maybe we'll get an exploration of that? Or maybe that's what they're holding back for Equestria Girls 4: Trixie's Revenge.

Also, I know I've been quiet on this front for a while, but we're gearing up for another CCG set near the end of August. Details can be found here, and some of the relevant tidbits that have been floating around include:
    • The set will be based on the Mane Six exploring Equestria
    • New rarity (No not the pony) system. Ultra Rares will be slightly more frequent. Between Rare and Ultra Rare there will now be another rarity: Super Rare - They will be roughly twice as common as Ultra Rares.
    • Royal Rare cards will be the top end rarity - Roughly 1 Royal Rare per every six boxes. Royal Rares will not be unique in their gameplay function. Instead they will be alternate art versions of other cards printed at lesser rarity.
    • Single color problems will be a thing, enabling mono-colored decks much more efficiently.
    • 12 new Manes in the set, including an Octavia Mane Character card!
    • Six new keywords.
    • Dual color requirement cards.
    • Set to hit stores on the 28th of August.
    • Still no online option for those of us in isolate areas or areas with zero playerbase *Shakes fist*

I've been having good experiences with the Absolute Discord set, but I'll be the first to admit that Enterplay are running into some serious issues with their playerbase. Unless they roll out some way for people to connect more frequently, they're going to see a sharp decline very quickly, even with a new set.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    edit- oh! also, spike episode lame, yak episode great! (I think of yaks as internet culture) and EG3 hype hype hype hype hype hype the bows and arrows not as bad as I thought
    we're gearing up for another CCG set near the end of August. Details can be found here, and some of the relevant tidbits that have been floating around include:

[*] New rarity (No not the pony) system. Ultra Rares will be slightly more frequent.
    hahahahaahahahhhahahahaahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa sure
    I've been having good experiences with the Absolute Discord set, but I'll be the first to admit that Enterplay are running into some serious issues with their playerbase. Unless they roll out some way for people to connect more frequently, they're going to see a sharp decline very quickly, even with a new set.
    Missed prelease due to work, then we had one sealed event a week after then silence

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sooooo... There's a trailer for Equestria Girls 3 that just dropped. And apparently the movie comes out on September 26th? That feels fast.
    It's a series that was built from the ground up to be a soulless money-maker.

I mean...technically the whole franchise is, but usually the writers and other staff try to mitigate that. With EG I feel like it's been a huge Hasbro mandate.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    It's a series that was built from the ground up to be a soulless money-maker.

I mean...technically the whole franchise is, but usually the writers and other staff try to mitigate that. With EG I feel like it's been a huge Hasbro mandate.

well, yes, but I feel the writers have still managed to inject soul into this particular soulless, currency creating artifact.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Really nice episode today. It was a bit heavier than I expected, but I really liked it a whole lot.
    The fact that they managed to make an enjoyable and pretty deep episode by revisiting what amounted to 20 seconds of exposition from the series premiere is really awesome. I admit I never much gave a whole lot of thought to Twilight's life in Canterlot before she moved to Ponyville, but this was a fantastic way to explore that topic. I give a ton of credit to the writers for coming up with this premise, and making a 'what if' story without resorting to altered timelines or magic gone awry.

There were some excellent little touches in there, too. It was great to see Minuette! I particularly enjoyed the moment when Pinkie met up with her and it was obvious how good of friends they were. Twilight reminiscing was also pretty neat, revisiting her old library home in Canterlot and reflecting on her previous days. The continuity was great.

The fact that the episode addressed old hurt, misunderstandings, and healing thereof was pretty fantastic. It was a heartwarming episode overall, and I'll shamefully admit that it kind of hit me deeper than I thought it would. Some of this was a bit on the nose for me, and thus I found the episode surprisingly emotional.

Easily my top episode of this season.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    EG1: September 1st, 2013
    EG2: September 27th, 2014
    EG3: September 26th, 2015

Once a year does not feel fast to me.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Best episode of the season IMO, possibly even the entire series. Definitely a contender at least.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Really nice episode today. It was a bit heavier than I expected, but I really liked it a whole lot.
    The fact that they managed to make an enjoyable and pretty deep episode by revisiting what amounted to 20 seconds of exposition from the series premiere is really awesome. I admit I never much gave a whole lot of thought to Twilight's life in Canterlot before she moved to Ponyville, but this was a fantastic way to explore that topic. I give a ton of credit to the writers for coming up with this premise, and making a 'what if' story without resorting to altered timelines or magic gone awry.

There were some excellent little touches in there, too. It was great to see Minuette! I particularly enjoyed the moment when Pinkie met up with her and it was obvious how good of friends they were. Twilight reminiscing was also pretty neat, revisiting her old library home in Canterlot and reflecting on her previous days. The continuity was great.

The fact that the episode addressed old hurt, misunderstandings, and healing thereof was pretty fantastic. It was a heartwarming episode overall, and I'll shamefully admit that it kind of hit me deeper than I thought it would. Some of this was a bit on the nose for me, and thus I found the episode surprisingly emotional.

Easily my top episode of this season.

Yup, an excellent episode. Also,
    mFJzUMF.png

ZQzlQPb.gif

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    What a wonderful surprise this episode was today.
    Wasn't expecting much in terms of the description but what we got today was amazing.

• Options
    Wait
    Twilight is friends with Lyra and has never once talked to her?

geez, maybe she isn't cut out to be Princess.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Wait
    Twilight is friends with Lyra and has never once talked to her?

geez, maybe she isn't cut out to be Princess.

Twilight Sparkle makes five friends and aggressively ignores everyone else, gets promoted to alicorn of friendship; Pinkie has hundreds and is left as an earth pony. Equestria is clearly run by nepotism.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    No, no, Twilight is the princess of the Platonic Concept of Friendship. Her power is based in her ability to refine from the chaotic streams of aether an idealized concept of friendship magic.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    No, no, Twilight is the princess of the Platonic Concept of Friendship. Her power is based in her ability to refine from the chaotic streams of aether an idealized concept of friendship magic.

Related:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMSvTrA59tw

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    2Nx9ucP.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Oh wow, I wish that print wasn't a Comic-Con exclusive. I positively love anything Price makes with Celestia and Luna together, and this one's got a great border made by Cook to boot.

Those expressions are great. Plus, bonus Tibbles!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    tumblr_npes7lwOBX1ro9en2o1_500.png

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Getting caught up on episodes. Just watched Slice of Life and I just about lost it when Pony Dude's cutie mark was a frickin' rug.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    Getting caught up on episodes. Just watched Slice of Life and I just about lost it when Pony Dude's cutie mark was a frickin' rug.
    I haven't watched the big lebowski.
    the big thing people notice about slice of life and that references is
    at the end of the episode during the wedding there's only two characters and one's holding a coffee can

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    I haven't watched the big lebowski.
    the big thing people notice about slice of life and that references is
    at the end of the episode during the wedding there's only two characters and one's holding a coffee can

Yeah, I saw someone post about that earlier. That's pretty bonkers.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    That's an amazing reference because it's dark as hell but nobody is going to catch it until the episode airs.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Another reference from last episode that I haven't seen mentioned here:
    JA7t5Kk.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2015
    So it looks like we'll be getting the start of season six before the end of this year! No extended hiatus this time!

Edit: Turns out someone got this all mixed up.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    The show that outlived the network it debuted on.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    So it looks like we'll be getting the start of season six before the end of this year! No extended hiatus this time!

Well hell yeah!

Hopefully we'll get some good reveals out of SDCC.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Didn't know her name was Brownie Bun. Huh.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Didn't know her name was Brownie Bun. Huh.

http://thehorsewife.tumblr.com/post/119623774040

• Options
    Turns out the season 6 reveal was a typo.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Ruldar wrote: »

Oops. Somebody's gonna get a talking to.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    So not only are we not getting the start of season six at the end of the year, it's actually the end of season five we're getting... Meaning we'll be having some kind of mid season hiatus in there somewhere.

Dag nabit.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Ruldar wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AlCdvfhuAs

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Current (spoiler-filled) updates from the panel at SDCC are available here. It's being updated as the panel progresses, and the videos and other content from the panel should be available online soon.

• Options
    Why did I read that?
    Now I am too hyped to get any work done as well as sad that there's going to be a mid season break. :(