As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tabletop Games] on your computer! Tabletop Sim on Steam, Pretend You're Xyzzy, etc.

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited April 2015 in Social Entropy++
IqD5O7h.jpg

I have always enjoyed board games, card games, D&D, etc. But I don't have a local group to play with so I never get to do these things except at PAXes. Today, @joshofalltrades‌ informed me of a fabulous game on Steam early access called Tabletop Simulator. With it and Steam's Community Workshop, you can create a virtual game group. And that is exactly what I want to do. With all of you.

From the Steam store page: "If you're into classic board games, we've got 15 to choose from, like Chess, Poker, Chinese Checkers, Dominoes, and Piecepack. If you are into tabletop gaming we've got an RPG Kit with various role playing animated figurines that you can setup and battle with your friends. The RPG Kit is ever expanding, so you can expect to see new things to come to really take your tabletop gaming to a new level. "

The community for this game has gotten busy and there's a ton of content out there. So I want to play games with you nerds.

I created a steam group that you can join called PA Virtual Tabletop and if you want an invite post your steamid.

So come and play board games!

PA Virtual Tabletop Group
Members (Forum name - steamid)
@Goose! - g0oseyourself
@Kearin‌ - Kearinaoji
@joshofalltrades‌ - joshofalltrades31
@Fyndir‌ - Fyndir
@Devlin_Dragonus‌ - Devlin_Dragonus
@DoctorArch‌ - DoctorArch
@vermiculture‌ - vermiculture
@Bedlam‌ - Bedlam
@Tofystedeth‌ - tofystedeth
@Psykoma‌ - Psykoma
@MegaMan001‌ - MegaMan001
@Farangu - Farangu
@InkSplat‌ - Inksplat776
@Denada - Denada
@SanderJK - SanderJK
@ZombiePirate - fpirate
@Bucketman - Bucketman

You can download/subscribe a bunch of highly rated workshop games at this link

A few notes about playing/the group:

1. All members can invite other people to be members, but try to keep it to folks we know or trust not to be dicks just to make it easier.
2. We're going to try to use Ventrilo as often as possible, there's a vent server run by forumers that I will try to find.
3. All members can create announcements, this is to make it easier to try and get a game going asap, so everyone will get a notification (if they don't have notifications disabled).
4. When creating a server in the game, please make sure to password (any game I create will use the usual PA password and I recommend you do the same).
5. Have fun!

Ventrilo server info
Server ip: vent15.gameservers.com
Port: 4384
pw: usual PA pw (ask me on steam if you'e unsure)

Goose! on

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I have played a few games on this: Betrayal at House on the Hill, Coup, Wiz War (an old edition, I haven't gotten around to importing the new stuff), and a quick game of Hero Quest (yes, the old one).

It goes best when you have somebody there to help teach you some of the more helpful hotkeys. L locks pieces into place so they can't be knocked over by rolling dice, F flips a card over (be careful because without holding a card it flips the table), Q and E rotate a held item...

It's also really nice to be able to grab a deck and shake it to quickly shuffle it. Really helps the flow of tabletop gaming to not have to stop and wait for someone to reshuffle the deck.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Yes YES me please I am in.

Steam is in my signature, I think my id is just Fyndir because I am super original like that.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    joshofalltrades31 is my Steam ID

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Because of @Goose‌ , @joshofalltrades‌ I have ordered Betrayal at House on the Hill, and damn if I don't want to experience more Hellbats.

Sign me up

sig for Steam details.

Edit: or apparently its actually on my profile page. it Devlin_Dragonus

It will always be some form of Devlin_Dragonus

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Is Quarriors on the list?

I'd love to play some Quarriors.

Quarriors is such a fun game you guys.

Quarriors.
    I spent $150 on Quarriors ohgodhelpme

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Will be so in on this when I get home.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I keep hearing good things about this. I saw someone put in the core Netrunner set, and it looked more fun than octgn.

If there's an invite sitting in my mailbox when I get home, I'll join. Steam name is same as here.

Oh wow, Game of Thrones is up

I should check the Steam Workshop for this more often

Tox wrote: »
    Is Quarriors on the list?

I'd love to play some Quarriors.

Quarriors is such a fun game you guys.

Quarriors.
    I spent $150 on Quarriors ohgodhelpme

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=269308422

By the way, chatting in TS is not advised, as with many things Ventrilo is the way to go

• vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    id be very excited to do this as well. steam id vermiculture

steam id: vermiculture
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Everyone that's a member can invite others to play. Wanna make this a big thing. I just tried Zombie Dice and it worked fantastic, except you cannot roll the dice near the bag or they go into the bag. As soon as I finish shoveling I wanna play a game with you dudes.

Goose! on
    It just occurred to me that I have owned Tabletop Sim since June last year, and haven't actually played it at all yet. It's me. I am the Steamfool.

Goose! wrote: »
    Everyone that's a member can invite others to play. Wanna make this a big thing. I just tried Zombie Dice and it worked fantastic, except you cannot roll the dice near the bag or they go into the bag. As soon as I finish shoveling I wanna play a game with you dudes.

Why have you not added me sir. i don't see my name up there.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Oh, totally down for this.

SteamID: DoctorArch.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited January 2015
    Suggestion I tossed into the group and want to toss here too, especially for anyone who has played stuff already, favourite stuff you want to play and then friends can see those items specifically in the workshop so we can pretty easily pick up the correct versions of games.

Fyndir on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, Game of Thrones is up

I should check the Steam Workshop for this more often

If they ever get Fief up and running in this I want to get a 6 player game going IMMEDIATELY.

edited January 2015
    It's apparently super easy to scan your own games into this, but you get into copyright issues if you don't have permission

So if you don't... don't

joshofalltrades on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    If you have posted in the thread I added you to my friends list and the steam group, so check your steam. If you have accepted the group invite, I have added you to the OP.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    It's apparently super easy to scan your own games into this, but you get into copyright issues if you don't have permission

So if you don't... don't

Do any of the games in the workshop actually have permission?

BTW, almost didn't recognize you Josh. Oh the effect of having an avatar for a long time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited January 2015
    Not only am I favoriting but I am creating a collection of games I would like to play with you all. I'm sorting by top rated all time first then most subscribed second

EDIT: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382426642 It has a subscribe to all button

Goose! on
    DoctorArch wrote: »

So if you don't... don't

Do any of the games in the workshop actually have permission?

BTW, almost didn't recognize you Josh. Oh the effect of having an avatar for a long time.

Games in the workshop either a) have explicit permission or b) have creators who don't care to ask that they be taken down.

Valve is really good about responding to creator's requests to take down unauthorized mods, and several games have been removed in the past.

Abby Howard drew this pug for me at PAX and I colored it in. It was time for a change!

Abbytar bros. :bro:

So who is ready for a game of Betrayal? Or anything, I don't mind. I wanna test hosting/joining a multiplayer game.

Working right now, sadly. I might be down for a game when I get home!

Also is there still a ventrilo server and if so what is it?

There is a server and I've emailed PikaPuff for details.

I'm available currently, just checked that it was working and (in theory) got all the workshop stuff downloaded. Toss me an invite whenever you're setting it up, and also let me know if there's a VOIP thing you want to use.

I was going to wait to buy until i knew there would be enough people but i saw you list of games and now im downloading it i post this.

I am actually downloading Louis CK's new comedy special so after I watch that I will play. But you guys can make an announcement when you want to gather a group to play and it'll create a notification popup for all group members.

• vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    id like to try anything later tonight as well. maybe we could get a weekly thing going

steam id: vermiculture
    Alright, I had to shovel a little more because the guy who came to help us plow out actually blocked in one of the cars a little, now I am ready to flip tables.

I accidentally joined a game of Monopoly Deal, which is card monopoly. It was actually really fun to play out and the guy running it was really patient with me and another guy who didn't know what we were doing.

Still 100% up for a game of whatever if it starts soon, if not I'll be having to go to bed.

Alright I am starting a game right now I will post an announcement

Did an assassin sneak up behind Goose in the middle of our game

Haha, I lost my connection.

Anyway, I'm off from work again tomorrow (woo, snow days!) so if anyone wants to play Betrayal tonight I'll be around all night just send me a steam message. I'd love to play with 6, but at least 4.

That was really great fun, thanks guys. <3

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Add me to the list, don't have it yet, but will.

Wonder if we could get Arcomage in there...

steam_sig.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Please add me as well, megaman001. Checking out the group right now.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Okay, I found my mic equipment and the vent server info. Who wants to play Betrayal at House on the Hill?