As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to the [Superhero] Thread, give us your Aquamanpinions

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    aquaman is a set of powers and an environment and a backstory with the personality of a sea sponge

shaking my head at you here

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I HEAR AQUAMAN IS JUST A WASHED UP CHUMP OH HO PUNS

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i thought vincent chase really brought a lot of pathos to the role

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    outside of his appearance on Brave and the Bold, name me one iconic aquaman story

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    e71l0EE.jpg?1

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    don't get me wrong, brave and the bold aquaman is great, but that aquaman has never appeared in comic books

• Options
    outside of his appearance on Brave and the Bold, name me one iconic aquaman story
    Aquaman: Time and Tide by Peter David

Aquaman: Sub Diego by Will Pfieffer

the current Aquaman run by Jeff Parker

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    List of things Solar is no longer allowed to talk about;

Beards
    Thor
    The Beatles
    Subjective Morality
    Dungeons and Dragons
    Economic Theory
    The Colour Green

If the Beatles were a D&D party, what would their alignments be

If I was playing? Chaotic Dead

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Maddoc wrote: »
    List of things Solar is no longer allowed to talk about;

Beards
    Thor
    The Beatles
    Subjective Morality
    Dungeons and Dragons
    Economic Theory
    The Colour Green

If the Beatles were a D&D party, what would their alignments be

John would be a Neutral Good Elf Rogue
    Paul would be Chaotic Good Human Druid
    Ringo would be Lawful Good Gnome/Halfling Sorcerer
    George would be Lawful Neutral Human Ranger

Or they would all be Bards.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    hello i am here for the aquaman.

• Options
    Aquaman's New 52 stuff has been consistently decent to at times even notably good, I think

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Hello Melding, you're on the air

What is your Aquamanpinion

• Options
    Aquaman's New 52 stuff has been consistently decent to at times even notably good, I think
    Johns first couple of arcs were meeeeeehhhhh but I actually liked the Throne of Atlantis crossover quite a bit

Orm was the best sympathetic villain he had written in ages and Arthur was super badass throughout

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hello I am currently running a marathon, I hear this is the place for some agua?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Johns first couple of arcs were meeeeeehhhhh but I actually liked the Throne of Atlantis crossover quite a bit

Orm was the best sympathetic villain he had written in ages and Arthur was super badass throughout

I enjoyed the first two arcs quite a bit!

Arthur and Mera are a cute couple and, well

I am a romantic, really

• Options

I am a romantic, really
    They are a cute couple!

but the arcs were built around The Others and The Trench both of which are pretty crappy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    the first issue of new 52 aquaman had people cracking jokes about how he is useless and talks to fish right after watching him do superhero stuff

it was so mind-boggling dumb

• Options

I am a romantic, really
    They are a cute couple!

but the arcs were built around The Others and The Trench both of which are pretty crappy

Yeah they weren't that great, no lie

I remember reading the book as it came out though and thinking "the character stuff here is really nice and satisfying to read"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    There's like 9 cosmic Marvel books right now. Captain Marvel will eventually return to Earth (as seen in Time Runs Out) and Cyclops likely will too; so that leaves Guardians, Guardians 3000, Guardians Team-Up, Rocket Raccoon, Star-Lord, Nova and Silver Surfer

I wonder what the rest will do during Secret Wars. Nova and likely tied up in Infinity War, but will the rest be? Especially Silver Surfer?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    the first issue of new 52 aquaman had people cracking jokes about how he is useless and talks to fish right after watching him do superhero stuff

No it didn't

The cops asked if he needed some water after doing some superhero stuff, but that was because they were like HOLY SHIT IT'S AQUAMAN WHAT IS HAPPENING

the lololol Aquaman stuff happened later when Arthur stopped by a diner and was from a dumb internet blogger

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Remember when Zack Snyder called into a radio show to tell them that they were wrong and Aquaman is totally cool and strong

• Options

No it didn't

The cops asked if he needed some water after doing some superhero stuff, but that was because they were like HOLY SHIT IT'S AQUAMAN WHAT IS HAPPENING

the lololol Aquaman stuff happened later when Arthur stopped by a diner and was from a dumb internet blogger

Arthur was a cool guy about it though

He just wanted to have a quiet bite to eat

but he didn't kick off he just left because that shit isn't his thing

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

hey i'm just calling in to say i think aquaman is great and under rated and K99.8 IS THE GREAT RADIO STATION EVER WOOO

also could you play some blue oyster cult?

• Options

No it didn't

okay perhaps I miss-remembered how it happened

but this exchange still occurred:

kX2Xj49.jpg

and it is still incredibly fucking stupid

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I bet his tumblr is half photography reblogs and the other half redheads.

"check out this sweet sepia image of a bird eating a plastic bag

alright now here's a Lucy Collett photo-set"

I looked up who that was.

Wow.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Melding wrote: »

hey i'm just calling in to say i think aquaman is great and under rated and K99.8 IS THE GREAT RADIO STATION EVER WOOO

http://youtu.be/1dF_5PMTods

• Options
    No that guy is stupid (and it is intentional that he be so)

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Well he doesn't

He tells the fish what to do and they do it because king of the fucking seas

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    Honestly if I could change one thing about Aquaman it'd be that I'd just make him a telepath, no marine wildlife specific stuff

Golden Age Superman with Telepathy and an indestructible razor sharp trident

that's no joke!

• Options
    No that guy is stupid (and it is intentional that he be so)

why is that guy in the story at all?

why does the author feel the need to create a strawman character to voice the talks to fish joke so that aquaman can rebut it in the most lifeless way imaginable?

• Options

No it didn't

kX2Xj49.jpg

I mean

if you think it is, rock on

but Aquaman is always fighting an uphill battle re: public opinion until that Super Friends stuff finally goes away

and that series has been the longest running Aquaman series in over a decade and the most successful one (breaking the top 10 more than once) in longer and he's getting a movie out of it (cause Johns is still pretty involved with the DCMU stuff)

so addressing the elephant in the room and going NAH THAT ISN'T TRUE worked

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Here's hoping the Superfriends jokes die down once we see Jason Mamoa kick some ass as the King of Atlantis.

• Options
    Gonna snap those blogger necks so hard

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i wish i could talk to fish

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

No it didn't

kX2Xj49.jpg

I mean

but Aquaman is always fighting an uphill battle re: public opinion until that Super Friends stuff finally goes away

and that series has been the longest running Aquaman series in over a decade and the most successful one (breaking the top 10 more than once) in longer and he's getting a movie out of it (cause Johns is still pretty involved with the DCMU stuff)

was superfriends a thing in the dc universe that aquaman would need to address it there?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    You know who is probably having a crap day today? Everyone at DC/WB. They were already so far behind Marvel on this, and now Marvel has their most iconic, most popular character home in the MCU?

Welp.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

http://youtu.be/1dF_5PMTods

this was my second guess as to which song you'd post. but still points for going going with don't fear the reaper.

• Options
    Also Arthur isn't lacking in personality he's just a reserved guy

He doesn't really get involved in stuff he thinks is pointless. He doesn't say a lot. He's quiet and reserved and a bit wiser, more restrained, than the rest of them. He doesn't feel the need to wear his emotions or his pride on his sleeve. He doesn't express himself a lot. That's fine, a lot of people are like that, and actually relatively few superhero characters have that element to them.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I wish I could talk to my cat

Cause I love I'm so much

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

No it didn't

kX2Xj49.jpg

I mean

was superfriends a thing in the dc universe that aquaman would need to address it there?
    Nope

but it was a thing in the for real universe that comic readers inhabit and still colors people's opinions about Aquaman

so it was super clumsy, yeah

but addressing it was absolutely a smart move, in regards to rebuilding Aquaman as a major player in the DCU

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.