As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Movies] Watch Edge of Tomorrow. Bitch about it. Repeat.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    People are going to have to just get used to the fact that Paul Feig is going to make movies with all women lead casts, and that's fine. Hopefully he makes good ones instead of bad ones, but he's committed to making movies that showcase women as funny leads. He created Freaks and Geeks so he is a lifetime bro to me.

Bridesmaids was fantastic, The Heat wasn't as good but was still alright. I withhold judgement on Ghostbusters until I watch it. I'm not a big fan of the originals anyway so I don't have any of that to care about, comparing them. Casting wise I love Wiig and McCarthy, though McCarthy can definitely do more than the crazy lady stuff she's been given in a lot of roles. But still, she's really good at that stuff too. As for the SNL members, I still watch SNL because it has its moments, and McKinnon is great so I'm glad to see her in a movie. Jones I don't know about. She's really really funny at times, but she also feels a bit one note to me so far. Like they let what she looks like drive her into almost always being "assertive/scary black woman."

I'm glad to wait to see how they do before judging though, because before seeing Bridesmaids I really didn't know Wendi Mclendon-Covey much, and I thought she was hilarious.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Woody Allen's best physical comedy scene is probably this, from Play It Again, Sam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHkGjkm9AeY

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Dark Knight Returns, Atomika? Surely you mean Dawn of Justice

This is why I shouldn't post until I've been awake for at least 30 minutes

Thoughts on the Ghostbusters reboot

Pros:
    - Solid cast. If the material is up to snuff, this cast can probably pull it off.
    - The story going more horror-focused. It's interesting and novel, and that's what this needs to succeed.
    - Paul Feig has proven reliable with comedy.

Cons:
    - The all-girl thing seems gimmicky, so I can only hope the formation of this team feels organic and not just Wiig=Egon/McCarthy=Stanz/Jones=Zedemore/McKinnon=Venkman or whatever
    - Paul Feig seems to think Melissa McCarthy is funniest when she looks like a hideous beast and acts like a weirdo.
    - We really don't need any more Ghostbusters anything, ever

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Best musical number, also courtesy of Steve Martin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Best villainy set to music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy9ha3qLU8Y

I sat through The Interview yesterday. Meh. It's pretty poor. I'm not sure it's even noteworthy enough to talk about.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    As I said in the other thread Ghostbusters 2 wasn't even that good if you take off the rose tinting glasses

GB was lightning in a bottle even attempting to recreate it with all the original cast and director didn't really work.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    As I said in the other thread Ghostbusters 2 wasn't even that good if you take off the rose tinting glasses

GB was lightning in a bottle even attempting to recreate it with all the original cast and director didn't really work.

I usually prefer to never acknowledge the existence of the 2nd one.

The first is one of my all-time favorite movies, ever.

• EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I think I still like the Once Upon a Time in the West climax better. It's just so damn tense.

It would also have my pick for best, or at least one of the best, intro sequences

steam_sig.png

Ghostbusters 2 is kinda hard to forgive as it commits the classic sequel sin of virtually rehashing the first film, and the narrative pretense it uses for doing so is utterly baffling because it literally makes no sense whatsoever.

GB1: The city sustains a supernatural event of biblical proportions involving the return of the dead, ancient Babylonian gods, and a gigantic monster . . . all witnessed firsthand by millions of people, with eternal damnation being prevented by the heroic acts of the Ghostbusters.

GB2: The Ghostbusters are a washed-up laughingstock.

Though, to be FAIR to GB2, I think city officials and politicians (and people) are petty enough that they would sue someone for damaging their car even if they managed to save the entire plane of existence.

Because, you know, insurance doesn't cover that shit.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I cannot remember a single character-driven scene in Ghostbusters 2, whereas all of my favourite Ghostbusters scenes are very much about the characters, even those that are SFX-heavy. When I think of Ghostbusters 2, I mainly remember sentient goo, a walking Statue of Liberty, and that's about it. In fact, I think I remember more about the GB2 game on the C64 than about the film itself.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    If you haven't played it the ghostbusters video game is actually a fantastic gb3.

The only reason I don't like a reboot idea is because it throws out everything in that universe when they could have done an amazing continuation with a world aware of all that stuff, requiring no explanation of ghosts or the fine people who work 9-5 in their busting. Reboot just gives them 30 minutes to pad the movie with setup.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Also fuck yeah to Clue having some of the funniest bits in film. Nearly every time Madeline Kahn has a line in that film it's worthy of laughter.

Watched it recently on Netflix, why didn't it do so well the first time? Great cast and really rapid fire dialog but it bombed at the box office.

Given that Hasbro is turning every license they own into a franchise (see Ouija, the movie based on the hit "board game"), I'm kinda surprised they haven't remade this.

And you don't even really need to change much except for maybe Mr. Green's reason for blackmail.

newSig.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I cannot remember a single character-driven scene in Ghostbusters 2, whereas all of my favourite Ghostbusters scenes are very much about the characters, even those that are SFX-heavy. When I think of Ghostbusters 2, I mainly remember sentient goo, a walking Statue of Liberty, and that's about it. In fact, I think I remember more about the GB2 game on the C64 than about the film itself.

Creepy dude in a painting and creepy dude who went on to be a lawyer in Ally McBeal.

ghostbusters2.jpg

Ghostbusters_-_Janosz_Poha_8228.gif

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I know they're in it, but that's about it. Apparently Peter MacNicol was funny in it - at least as funny as in Sophie's Choice - but all I remember is a comedy accent.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    VY AM I DRIPINSK WIV GOO?

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Also fuck yeah to Clue having some of the funniest bits in film. Nearly every time Madeline Kahn has a line in that film it's worthy of laughter.

Watched it recently on Netflix, why didn't it do so well the first time? Great cast and really rapid fire dialog but it bombed at the box office.

Given that Hasbro is turning every license they own into a franchise (see Ouija, the movie based on the hit "board game"), I'm kinda surprised they haven't remade this.

And you don't even really need to change much except for maybe Mr. Green's reason for blackmail.

Oh boy do I ever have an article for you about Clue: http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/something-terrible-has-happened-here-the-crazy-story-of-how

(Ignore the fact that it's on Buzzfeed... It's actually worth reading.)

steam_sig.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Just have the girls be the ghostbusters contracted for whatever City they film in.

Then the cameos would make more sense. Akroyd is the union boss of all Ghostbusters. Hudson runs the NY branch. Bill quit and got rich selling the rights to the events in 1 & 2.

No origin story needed.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

There has actually been talk about remaking Clue. That would be a horrible, tragic mistake.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I know they're in it, but that's about it. Apparently Peter MacNicol was funny in it - at least as funny as in Sophie's Choice - but all I remember is a comedy accent.

Dat Statue of Liberty scene tho.

Still my favourite moment across the two films. In fact that only thing I remember about the 1st film is that the Staypuff guy was in it...

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    All this talk of "best this" and "best that" has me thinking really long and hard. I look at my movie shelf and my eyes glance over each title and think, this movie has the single best scene featuring a giant and a Englishman in a fight to the death, this other movie clearly has the greatest example of a man willing to go through surgical extension of his legs in order to reach his dreams, or this movie here is the prime example of the drama that comes with characters for whom rules are not follwed though they were clearly spelled out in the beginning of the film.

I could go on and on as all of you have gone on and on. But, the greatest moment in a film based on a true story is sitting on my shelf as well:

http://youtu.be/6M8szlSa-8o

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Remember the part in Ghostbusters 2 where Cheech Marin watches the Titanic pull into port and all the ghosts come out of hole?

Remember the part in Ghostbusters 2 where Cheech Marin watches the Titanic pull into port and all the ghosts come out of hole?

"Well, better late then never."

newSig.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Unknown Known is great; if you want to look into the eyes of a liar who's totally comfortable in his own filth, it's well worth watching.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Spaffy wrote: »

Dat Statue of Liberty scene tho.

Still my favourite moment across the two films. In fact that only thing I remember about the 1st film is that the Staypuff guy was in it...

You seriously need to rewatch the first.

Tell him about the twinkie.

Ghostbusters was enjoyable as a kid because of the spectacle. The effects on the dogs are a little wanky these days, but it doesn't detract from the rest of the film that has amazing practical effects.

The eggs popping open is still a killer scene.

What makes Ghostbusters killer to me is the dialogue. Its still sharp as a razor, smart, and funny as hell.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Oh boy do I ever have an article for you about Clue: http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/something-terrible-has-happened-here-the-crazy-story-of-how

(Ignore the fact that it's on Buzzfeed... It's actually worth reading.)

enhanced-buzz-wide-16988-1378137068-7.jpg

The article is great, but it would be worth it just for this.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    So killer that that part is improv. Or ad libbed. Or whatever.

steam_sig.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

Disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP8QdFttugg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY1TlxJORik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocm8QdNR_d8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

I love Oogie Boogie, and Nightmare in general, but he can't really compete from a villainy perspective.

So killer that that part is improv. Or ad libbed. Or whatever.

I'm surprised that everything else was in the script as written and just effortless it seems pulled off.

Everyone just playing off each other's lines, even the bit with Plum asking about his shooting the revolver and then "shucks!" when told that he missed.

A lot of that seems like it would be ad-libbed these days and wouldn't be nearly as good.

newSig.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Clear Winner in this category. I'm actually uncertain how Disney had the balls to make a movie where an upper-level clergyman is not only the villain, but motivated by lust.

Houn wrote: »

Clear Winner in this category. I'm actually uncertain how Disney had the balls to make a movie where an upper-level clergyman is not only the villain, but motivated by lust.

While I don't like the movie all that much, I think he's one of the best villains Disney has produced so far. I definitely think he comes closest to the idea of each character being the hero of their own story. Frollo questions his own motivations, even resents them, and a lot of his actions have a justification behind them and are, in his mind, for the greater good.

Compare that to Clayton, Gaston, The Queen, etc. They're all motivated by a cardinal sin (Greed, Pride, Envy, etc) but they take joy in their motivation and never stop to think about it.

Houn wrote: »

While I don't like the movie all that much, I think he's one of the best villains Disney has produced so far. I definitely think he comes closest to the idea of each character being the hero of their own story. Frollo questions his own motivations, even resents them, and a lot of his actions have a justification behind them and are, in his mind, for the greater good.

Compare that to Clayton, Gaston, The Queen, etc. They're all motivated by a cardinal sin (Greed, Pride, Envy, etc) but they take joy in their motivation and never stop to think about it.

So then which Disney villains represent Wrath and Gluttony?

newSig.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Honestly I think Hellfire is too boring. It's a great song sure, but it doesn't have that punchy, sing-along quality that makes the bad guy so memorable (and awesome)

See: Be Prepared, Mean Green Mother from Outerspace, Friends on the other Side etc. They're fun and upbeat despite being the villain song, and they just make you want to jump in and play the part yourself.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1l5m-h6Ugo

This is really good. My only objection is including anything from Indiana Jones 4, yuck.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Scientology is in the news again and they are not happy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/tom-cruise-wiretapped-nicole-kidman-scientology-documentary-reveals-1.2933248
    Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief premiered Sunday at the Sundance Film Festival to a packed house — not with a star-studded red carpet, but with police protection.

A week before the premiere, the Church of Scientology took out full-page ads in the New York Times and Los Angeles Times claiming the documentary is filled with falsehoods.

Based on Lawrence Wright's 2013 book of the same name, Oscar winner Alex Gibney's film claims that the church routinely intimidates, manipulates and even tortures its members, tracing the rise of the religion and its founder, former science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, and his successor as head of the church, David Miscavige. Gibney also interviewed several former Scientology believers, including past executives.

Canadian director speaks out

Canadian Paul Haggis, director of the Oscar-winning Crash, left the church in 2009 after decades of membership.

"I was really stupid. I was part of this for 30 years before I spoke out," he says in the film. "I was deeply ashamed."

As Haggis climbed "the bridge" to the most enlightened levels of Scientology, he finally learned Hubbard's ultimate theory: That a tyrannical galactic overlord named Xenu dropped frozen bodies from millions of years ago into volcanoes, and those spirits attach themselves to modern people today. Scientology is the means of ridding the body and mind of those spirits to become "clear."

VIDEO |​ Paul Haggis on his interest in Scientology and defending his friends
    Another former member who left the church in 2013 said its approach is "like brainwashing."

Former church members followed

Several former church members featured in the film attended Sunday's premiere. Two said they were followed to Utah by Scientology investigators who photographed them at the Salt Lake City airport.

Alex Gibney
    Going Clear filmmaker Alex Gibney poses for a portrait during the 2015 Sundance Film Festival on Monday. (Larry Busacca/Getty Images)

The Church of Scientology released a statement Sunday that characterizes these former believers as "the usual collection of obsessive, disgruntled former Church members kicked out as long as 30 years ago for malfeasance, who have a documented history of making up lies about the church for money."

The church says Gibney refused to meet with the 25 members it offered as sources. Gibney says the church declined all requests for interviews, as did Miscavige and movie stars John Travolta and Tom Cruise, both of whom are Scientologists.

The film traces Cruise's relationship with the church, and claims it intentionally broke up his marriage with Nicole Kidman because she was not a believer. Scientology's biggest celebrity spokesman was largely absent from the church during his nearly 10-year marriage to Kidman.

4 takeaways from Going Clear, as observed in reviews of the film:

The documentary alleges that church leaders worked to "facilitate the break-up" of Kidman and Cruise by, among other things, making Cruise feel paranoid about his relationship, so much so that he ordered a tap on Kidman's phone.
    The film claims church members worked to turn the couple's children, Connor and Isabella, against their mother in an attempt to sway decisions about custody.
    Going Clear also alleges that the church tried to set Cruise up with future Homeland actress Nazanin Boniadi and even tried to give her a makeover to make her more attractive to the newly divorced actor.
    The film also suggests that the church is holding sensitive information about John Travola's sexual orientation over the Saturday Night Fever star's head in an attempt to ensure his loyalty to Scientology

Degradation and torture

Members deemed to have somehow erred against the church were subject to degradation and torture, according to the film. They were deprived of sleep, fed scraps and forced to do hard labour. Sometimes they were beaten. One man was required to mop a bathroom floor with his tongue, according to the film.

Gibney and Wright said the church has threatened them with litigation. Former members have said they have fared far worse: they've been slandered online, followed, filmed and seen their loved ones stalked and intimidated.

Former Scientology spokesman and senior executive Mike Rinder said he hopes the film will raise public awareness about the church's methods.

"I would love it if the FBI, after seeing this film, said, 'We need to do something more energetic.'"

The Sundance Film Festival continues through Feb. 1.

This discussion has been closed.