As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] Watch Edge of Tomorrow. Bitch about it. Repeat.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Village was pretty decent until the tweest

then it's revealed again that shayamalan has no idea how humans act and has a park ranger give a strange blind girl medicine instead of, oh I dunno, going to where the injured person is and maybe calling some people or asking any followup questions whatsoever
    I never liked how the brother escaped his locked room, put on the monster costume in the shed, tracked his sister down in the forbidden woods, tried to play tag or something but instead fell in a hole and died. Granted she didn't know the woods, either, but, nope, the whole climax was hokey.

No way the climax was tense as hell and perfectly paced.
    And he didn't "fall in a hole" she tricked him into the hole that she knew was there because she was nearly killed falling into the hole earlier and saved by virtue of the fact that she was moving pretty slowly and gingerly through the woods trying to feel her way through because she is blind, which is of course why Adrien Brody was able to easily catch up to her. She deliberately doubled back and led him to that hole, it was brilliant.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I think it part of the ending with the cameo was that (village spoilers)
    It was insinuated that they were ordered to leave the village alone. They didnt know exactly where it was, but it was rumored to be out there and they were to be hands off for whatever reason.

I think I made the head cannon that someone powerful in govt, or just witha ton of money paid off someone powerful to allow the society to form and happen out in the woods. Because otherwise they would have been interfered with quite often. National parks are checked for illegal activity like that.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I watched Cosmopolis yesterday and found very, very little about it to be worthwhile in any way. I've greatly enjoyed some of Don DeLillo, and I usually find Cronenberg interesting, but this was just... bleh. I've called films 'dramatically inert' before, and I think it fits this film pretty well. It's definitely quite a bit worse than the other film featuring a Twilight alumni and Juliette Binoche that I've seen recently, and I didn't much like the other one.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It was insinuated that they were ordered to leave the village alone. They didnt know exactly where it was, but it was rumored to be out there and they were to be hands off for whatever reason.

I think I made the head cannon that someone powerful in govt, or just witha ton of money paid off someone powerful to allow the society to form and happen out in the woods. Because otherwise they would have been interfered with quite often. National parks are checked for illegal activity like that.
    It requires less suspension of disbelief for me to think that they never checked out this big ass forest than it does for me to think that the occupants of the forest have somehow arranged a large multi decade government conspiracy where law enforcement officials would be briefed "by the way there's a secret lawless society in the forest nobody can ever know about"

like, I don't think the president could swing that

it feels weird spoiling the village

I wish someone had spoiled it for me it would have saved me $10

override367 on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

It requires less suspension of disbelief for me to think that they never checked out this big ass forest than it does for me to think that the occupants of the forest have somehow arranged a large multi decade government conspiracy where law enforcement officials would be briefed "by the way there's a secret lawless society in the forest nobody can ever know about"

The area being a no-fly zone would be pretty easy, though. Just have it structured as an animal sanctuary, grease two or three palms, and bam - no planes allowed due to noise pollution interrupting an endangered species. Considering it was out-right stated that all the Elders were incredibly affluent before creating the reserve, it's not that unfeasible. And technically, it is an animal sanctuary - the animals are just human.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I can't believe you guys had a "best peeing scene" discussion that didn't include Hard Boiled.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Not even a contest in my mind.

• Options

The area being a no-fly zone would be pretty easy, though. Just have it structured as an animal sanctuary, grease two or three palms, and bam - no planes allowed due to noise pollution interrupting an endangered species. Considering it was out-right stated that all the Elders were incredibly affluent before creating the reserve, it's not that unfeasible. And technically, it is an animal sanctuary - the animals are just human.
    okay but if its an animal sanctuary that doesn't make the park ranger's behavior any less bizarre

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Thing I disliked about the Shylaman cameos is that it's always head-thuddingly obvious that it is him, and also, he hardly does anything other than be himself.

In Unbreakable, I think he actually has two cameos as himself as different characters.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I can't believe you guys had a "best peeing scene" discussion that didn't include Hard Boiled.

If you add kiss kiss bang bang to the competition, none of the categories stand a chance

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I couldn't enjoy The Village because I guessed the twist about five minutes into it, and that's Shayamalan's fault for being such a formulaic hack that I was even thinking about the film having a twist.

It doesn't hurt my dislike for his other films that in interviews he comes across as an absolute, unforgivable asshole.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular

"No, my question, I get to go first. Why, in pluperfect hell, would you pee on a corpse?"

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Atomika wrote: »
    I couldn't enjoy The Village because I guessed the twist about five minutes into it, and that's Shayamalan's fault for being such a formulaic hack that I was even thinking about the film having a twist.

It doesn't hurt my dislike for his other films that in interviews he comes across as an absolute, unforgivable asshole.

I don't think it's entirely his fault on this front. His first two films had major twists. Then Signs came around and everyone was all, "WHAT WILL THE TWIST BE" except they're wasn't one, really, so the response was "OMIGOD THERE WAS NO TWIST WHAT A TWEEST.

Which meant the hype for The Village was going to be "WHAT IS THE TWIST?" once again, and that primed everyone to go in looking for it.

After that, I think the guy gave up on twist endings, because he realized he could basically never trick anyone again.

It's kinda funny, because I would say Nolan has as much a penchant for twist endings as MNS - The Prestige, Memento, arguably Inception, arguably TDKR - but nobody goes into his films expecting it, so he can get away with it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

See, I also went in kind of knowing the twist. It didn't hurt my enjoyment of the movie - I never really thought the ending was supposed to be an OHMAHGAW jaw-dropping moment. If anything, I was more shocked by
    Adrien Brody being the monster

Instead, I watched it like the semi-tragic love-story it was.

I'm also an unabashed fan of Lady in the Water because it kind of weirdly hit my sense of whimsy in a way that completely engaged me. The movie was like Calvinball, just kind of making up the rules as it went, but I was just so into it when I was watching.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I don't think it's entirely his fault on this front. His first two films had major twists. Then Signs came around and everyone was all, "WHAT WILL THE TWIST BE" except they're wasn't one, really, so the response was "OMIGOD THERE WAS NO TWIST WHAT A TWEEST.

Which meant the hype for The Village was going to be "WHAT IS THE TWIST?" once again, and that primed everyone to go in looking for it.

After that, I think the guy gave up on twist endings, because he realized he could basically never trick anyone again.

It's kinda funny, because I would say Nolan has as much a penchant for twist endings as MNS - The Prestige, Memento, arguably Inception, arguably TDKR - but nobody goes into his films expecting it, so he can get away with it.

Well, that's because Nolan films have things like decent writing and so on to support his films.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    No, the early Shyamalans have excellent writing. The difference is that Shyamalan's twists totally redefine the overall context of the movie--the one-sentence description of the plot or film is totally changed the second time around. The Sixth Sense is a story about a psychologist in a rocky marriage helping a troubled young boy--and then suddenly it is almost none of those things.

Whereas Nolan's movies contain surprises but at the end of the day, no matter how the magicians pull off their tricks, they are still dicks to one another. The revelations reinforce what's already happening--they are even more dicks than we thought previously. But regardless of who the villain is, Batman is still gonna Batman.

I think the best way to describe this is that Shyamalan mpvies have twists; Nolan movies have secrets. And so in the former you're searching for the twist, while in the latter you are content to wait for the truth.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Shyamalan's first few films are well written. They're more than just gimmicks, they're legitimately good movies.

His later films are complete swill, but early on the guy showed actual skillz, and the capacity to leverage said skillz in the settling myriad billz.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I think it's almost tragic that it's impossible to see The Sixth Sense for the first time unspoiled more than once. The first time was just incredible. And anyone who spoiled that movie for someone else is literally movie Hitler.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I think it's almost tragic that it's impossible to see The Sixth Sense for the first time unspoiled more than once. The first time was just incredible. And anyone who spoiled that movie for someone else is literally movie Hitler.

It's fucked up how quickly that film entered the realm of "Socially Acceptable Spoiler" territory. It's really unfair for both those interested in seeing a very well done movie, and to the people who made it.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Note, I got to watch it at a midnight screening when I worked for a movie theater. When the twist happened, people were actually yelling at the screen " NO FUCKING WAY!" and I was absolutely floored. It was a great movie with great performances.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Saw John Wick, and that sure was a Swedish as heck accent Michael Nyqvist had.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I called the Sixth Sense twist like almost at the very beginning of the movie. I was just like, oh dude's dead already. So I didn't get to enjoy it the way most people did. Still a good movie though.

• Options
    Wash wrote: »

It's fucked up how quickly that film entered the realm of "Socially Acceptable Spoiler" territory. It's really unfair for both those interested in seeing a very well done movie, and to the people who made it.

It did go pretty quickly.

I wonder how long it took Vader-is-Luke's-father to reach that point.

Or you-blew-it-up, or Soylent-Green-is-people.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

Around 15 years ago, I was watching Planet of the Apes with a friend who had never seen it before and didn't know the twist ending.

While we're watching it, one of my friends walks into my dorm room and proceeds to spoil the ending.

I was like "WTF dude, couldn't you wait another hour to talk about it?"

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

Around 15 years ago, I was watching Planet of the Apes with a friend who had never seen it before and didn't know the twist ending.

While we're watching it, one of my friends walks into my dorm room and proceeds to spoil the ending.

I was like "WTF dude, couldn't you wait another hour to talk about it?"

This happened to me with Shawshank Redemption.

Was about an hour and a half into it and someone walked in and said
    "oh, is this the movie where the guy breaks out of prison?"

Humans are assholes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    To be fair I am always surprised to find that that's actually a twist. Maybe that's just because I've seen Shawshank at least 30 times.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Man, cultural acceptance of spoiler talk is a tricky beast. It gets even worse with television, where you can be discussing a three week old episode of some show and completely ruin things for the guy ten feet away who just started Netflixing it.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    we're just going to have to deal with it and not freak out. hell half the big blockbusters of this year are already half spoiled. no point wasting time getting pissed off about it.

besides, as long as it plays out well time and time again its all good, like shawshank. that movie isn't ruined if you know how andy ends up before hand. only bullshit movies that rely solely on the twist are terrible. like usual suspects.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    In real life when talking about TV shows like dramas and what not, I just always ask anybody i'm talking to how much of the show they've watched. I don't want to be the guy who goes "Yeah man it was crazy when X died right!?" when somebody asks me if I like Breaking Bad or whatever. Because they might've just started watching the show.

Unless i've been drinking at a party at which time I will most definitely jump in to any conversation I hear about a show and drop huge fake spoilers just to see the looks of horror on people's faces before I tell them i'm kidding.

• Options
    spoiler the avengers beat ultron

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Fuckin whole movie ruined thanks

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

spoiler Ultron was Kang in disguise.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Today I watced Big Hero 6

But more importantly, I watched the short in front of it, Feast!
    The shaders used helped it really stand out. Another example of CG animation really branching out. Also I'm surprised how much of a story you can tell with just showing a household's food consumption. A really sweet story.

And the main event:
    I called that the supposedly dead professor would turn out to be the bad guy, mainly because I had watched Batman's "Heart of Ice" not long before it so had Mister Freeze on the brain. And indeed that gives him a lot of pathos, in the balance of "I totally sympathise with you, but your vengeance is hurting people" way that good tragic villains can attain. However this makes him a terrific actor in the first act, making his disagreement with CRH seem to be entirely a professional disagreement than YOU KILLED MY DAUGHTER. I like that Hiro doesn't latch on to Fred's initial accusaion and instead uses Baymax's scans to find the Kabuki guy. It makes more sense and we avoid the fairly trite scene of baseless accusations and the CRH brushes it off while looking super guilty. We get a couple of minutes after the incriminating video footage of believing he's the CRH, and then the movie pulls the bait and switch without letting it linger too long.

The emotional core of the movie, as is wont for Disney to have one, is Hiro and Baymax, and their scenes are great, especially after Hiro is desperately trying to reactivate Baymax's kill mode and Baymax won't let him. That whole freakout was an effective moment, because I can sense that Hiro feels utterly betrayed by the professor, and in a way he's right.

While the core is pretty solid, it also takes up a large chunk of the movie, and this has the cost of shoving the supporting cast to the side a little. Their characters are pretty distinct in the time they have, but it feels like you could have had more time developing them and maybe showing more of their gadgets. It does feel weird that at the end they decide to remain heroes without so much as a by your leave. I did like how they set reasonably clear boundaries regarding what their super science can and can't do. They make you think they're gonna break that rule and get Fred scaled up in the finest Maleficent tradition, but they opt for the more practical super suit instead, which makes sense since they're all from an engineering background more than anything.

I don't know if I like it better than Wreck it Ralph or Frozen, but it's a solid entry in the Disney catalogue. Also has an amusing Stan Lee shout out.

• Options
    edited January 2015

Honestly, I'm not really sure of that, given what we know about Civil War. I'm kind of betting on a Pyrrhic victory, at best.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Hrm I'm having trouble finding it but I could swear:
    When the one character is going through the chest at the end and pulling out newspapers, one of the headlines includes a mention of a payoff to the FAA to change plane routes

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    My sister still harbors a grudge against my mom for spoiling the 1935 version of Anna Karenina to her twenty years ago. As in threats about old folks home and not the good kind.

I had the Sixth Sense spoiled for me in an offhand article, but I saw Unbreakable unspoiled first so I feel I got M Night at his best. I watched The Sixth Sense later. Unbreakable is a pretty good film, but then the tweest happens and it becomes a great film. and have seen If you know the twist its still a pretty good film, but if you go into it looking for the twist it becomes unbearably slow.

Two movies that where equally good, but one was ruined by me watching for easter egg foreshadowing the twist.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    #Devil

I don't think I've actually made it through the entire movie, because I got to the part where the toast thing happens and I just fucking gave up on it.

Too stupid.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Devil does have a really awesome opening credits sequence.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Devil does have a really awesome opening credits sequence.

I was hyped for it.

And then I saw the stupid police, the Stereotypes Forced to Interact, etc. When the first guy got iced, I cheered, because he was annoying.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Today I watced Big Hero 6

But more importantly, I watched the short in front of it, Feast!
    The shaders used helped it really stand out. Another example of CG animation really branching out. Also I'm surprised how much of a story you can tell with just showing a household's food consumption. A really sweet story.

I wasn't even aware there was a short before Big Hero 6 until it played, and boy was it a genuinely lovely little surprise. Feast is just really really well done.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I hate twists that aren't as clever as they think they are. Like M:I 3, there was no twist.

Star Trek Into Darkness? No twist. Just stupid lumped onto stupid.

Fast 6? Process of elimination of the lead characters, bro.

People making these movies should at least be aware they aren't making a film in a bubble protected from 100 years of other cinema.

This discussion has been closed.