As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I guess it's partly a living for old genre actors, partly a defence mechanism, limiting the number of autographs they're going to have to sign, and partly a measure to combat people getting stuff autographed and then immediately re-selling it on eBay or something.

I think I remember reading something David Prowse said about cons and how he basically hated them and regarded each new one with a bleary, depressed eye but did them because hey that was his living.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Granted Karen is hot right now due to Guardians, which probably explains the higher price. But generally I agree its not something im looking to pay money for.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I liked Amy enough, though as I've said before, Rory was far and away the highlight of that era, as far as companions go.

I just...I really don't find Gillan to be a very good actress at all. I thought Nova was the weakest part of Guardians. Every line was either grossly overacted or weirdly robotic (and not in a "hey she's half robot" way). I honestly don't know if I would have noticed so much had it not been "Amy" playing the role, so maybe it's not fair.

I mean, she certainly had some high points on Who, but since she was bookended with Donna and Clara, both who I find to be far better actresses and characters (though to be fair, s7 Clara was...not), I guess it just made my issues with her more noticeable that it probably otherwise would have been. Though, more accurately, paired with Smith who was impossibly natural in his role, it made Amy feel less 'real' and more of a character than someone believable as a real person.

On the topic of paid autographs, I guess I had just assumed that cons took a hefty cut of those fees, and I'm sure the actors themselves probably have agents or others that get some of it too. I figured they probably didn't see a lot of each one all said and done. I have no idea though, it's not something I've ever had much interest in; collecting autographs that is.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    DoctorWhoTeam_zps4203db97.jpg

Being able to show this photo to friends is well worth the money spent. And meeting Karen Gillan IRL is sooooooo worth it.

Save your beer money for two weeks and go get her damn autograph

*Edit - I think that picture needs an exploding dalek in it for more awesomeness

Invectivus on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I do not spend nearly that much on beer per week.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I just...I really don't find Gillan to be a very good actress at all. I thought Nova was the weakest part of Guardians. Every line was either grossly overacted or weirdly robotic (and not in a "hey she's half robot" way). I honestly don't know if I would have noticed so much had it not been "Amy" playing the role, so maybe it's not fair.

I liked Nebula. That said, she barely had any characterization and was a slightly modified cameo, she wasn't given the screen time good Marvel no.2's have, like Zola had in The First Avenger or
    Rumlow
    in Winter Soldier. There was promise in the character which didn't make it to the movie intact. That wasn't Karen Gillen's fault, she was captivating in every scene she was in.
    Nebula needs a meatier role when she appears next.
    She's a wonderful actress, I'm glad she's spreading her wings on projects like GOTG. Loved her as Amy.

Harry Dresden on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Watching The Five(ish) Doctors again. Man this thing is hilarious. Paul McGann is the best. "I'm in. Work permitting of course"

Oh brilliant
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    So it looks like a certain someone will be returning for season 9. :hydra:

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I paid 20ish dollars for a picture with Sylvester McCoy. He was charging for autographs but had a much cheaper "selfie" option. He was also incredibly friendly and awesome, so that was cool.

edit: Also they have security and staff and stuff at the con, and I'm sure a lot of those autograph fees go into paying that kinda stuff. Some are totally overpriced though.

SniperGuy on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    For one very dark moment I thought it might be River Song.

Opening that spoiler was a huge relief.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I thought it was going to be
    The Dreamlord, on account of the Hydra icon.

Couldn't be anyway.

He never left.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular

Clearly it should have been
    Rose.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

I liked Nebula. That said, she barely had any characterization and was a slightly modified cameo, she wasn't given the screen time good Marvel no.2's have, like Zola had in The First Avenger or
    Rumlow
    in Winter Soldier. There was promise in the character which didn't make it to the movie intact. That wasn't Karen Gillen's fault, she was captivating in every scene she was in.
    Nebula needs a meatier role when she appears next.
    She's a wonderful actress, I'm glad she's spreading her wings on projects like GOTG. Loved her as Amy.

If they follow the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, there will be plenty of meat for Nebula.
    Thanos is really abusive to her and she gets the gauntlet at one point. I am getting the vibe that is the direction they are going.

Krathoon on
    I would wager that the Gomez Master will be tormenting the Capaldi Doctor through his whole run. I suspect they are doing something similar to what was done with the third Doctor.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31762466

As many suspected, JLC was teetering on in or out after last series.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    As much as I like JLC, the two outs they wrote for her in Death in Heaven and the Christmas Special were both brilliant, and I kinda wish they had stuck. Aside from Martha, New-Who companions don't get good out stories. And the last thing I want to see is another Angels Take Manhattan ending.

sig.gif
    The article suggests that JLC will have been the companion who's been with the Doctor the longest, ahead of Pond and Rose. Wouldn't another series put her level with Pond at two and a half each?

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The article suggests that JLC will have been the companion who's been with the Doctor the longest, ahead of Pond and Rose. Wouldn't another series put her level with Pond at two and a half each?

Based on IMDB, she would end up with 1-2 episodes more than Piper or Gillan. Practically they'd be all on the same level.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    From an in-universe perspective, Clara has been with the Doctor far and away longer than any other companion.

He was with Amy and Rory for at least a few more years than were on screen.

...I had completely forgotten Clara's whole thing. But I got the impression she'd show up for a couple days per Doctor, to save him, y'know?

Oh brilliant
  • ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    From an in-universe perspective, Clara has been with the Doctor far and away longer than any other companion.
    He was with Amy and Rory for about ten years of their lives, and he spaced it over about 100 or 200 years of his own life, so in universe you'd be hard pressed to find more long lasting companions of the Doctor than the Ponds. Except maybe Romana, we have no idea how long they spent together, both being Time Lords and all.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    He was with Amy and Rory for about ten years of their lives, and he spaced it over about 100 or 200 years of his own life, so in universe you'd be hard pressed to find more long lasting companions of the Doctor than the Ponds. Except maybe Romana, we have no idea how long they spent together, both being Time Lords and all.

Well, except of course his companion who he had for over a thousand years...

Lh96QHG.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I'd be really curious to hear Coleman's thought process, both about why she wanted to leave and why she ended up staying. Usually this is the sort of thing you don't hear about until at least a year or two after an actor has left a role.

rRwz9.gif

The TARDIS?

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I'd be really curious to hear Coleman's thought process, both about why she wanted to leave and why she ended up staying. Usually this is the sort of thing you don't hear about until at least a year or two after an actor has left a role.

I'm guessing either indecision or a financial negotiation.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    So when can I have more Who? It's been ages.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

The TARDIS?

Handles!

Only 300 years for Handles. ;D

Hey he could repair him now.

Oh brilliant
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Was it 300 for handles? He was with him for an unknown amount of time before the Xmas special and he was with him for most of the thousand years he was on trenzalore

Though I meant Clara, if amy counts for a couple hundred Clara counts for the thousand.

Lh96QHG.png
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    So when can I have more Who? It's been ages.

You can always dive into the world of Doctor Who audios if you have a craving. I highly highly highly recommend the Dark Eyes series.

Was it 300 for handles? He was with him for an unknown amount of time before the Xmas special and he was with him for most of the thousand years he was on trenzalore

Though I meant Clara, if amy counts for a couple hundred Clara counts for the thousand.
    Well the Ponds spent about a decade of their own lives being companions, while for Clara it has probably only been a few years.
    I wouldn't count Trenzalore either, as she only saw him about two or three times throughout that period rather than on a regular basis.
    Plus, I sort of want to forget that whole episode happened as it was basically a whole mess of awful.

edited March 2015

Well the Ponds spent about a decade of their own lives being companions, while for Clara it has probably only been a few years.
    I wouldn't count Trenzalore either, as she only saw him about two or three times throughout that period rather than on a regular basis.
    Plus, I sort of want to forget that whole episode happened as it was basically a whole mess of awful.

You had just made the argument that the time between visits to the Ponds counted, so I don't know how you're now just dismissing Trenzalore. She was his companion during that time. Handles too, yes. Just because it's a hundred (or 3) years between visits, she was still his main companion.

I don't know what the argument you're making is. From a purely objective standpoint, i.e. numbers, Clara has been his companion longer than anyone else, as she was his companion for a minimum of 900 of his years. No other companion(s) come close.

EDIT: Also, no, no it was not a 'whole mess of awful'.

The Dude With Herpes on

You had just made the argument that the time between visits to the Ponds counted, so I don't know how you're now just dismissing Trenzalore. She was his companion during that time. Handles too, yes. Just because it's a hundred (or 3) years between visits, she was still his main companion.

I don't know what the argument you're making is. From a purely objective standpoint, i.e. numbers, Clara has been his companion longer than anyone else, as she was his companion for a minimum of 900 of his years. No other companion(s) come close.
    Meh, I guess the whole spacing out over the Doctor's life meaning a companion is long lasting doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean, the Doctor was probably thousands of years older (we don't know how long he spent as the War Doctor, but it was a really long time) when he caught up with Sarah Jane again; would that make her longer lasting than Clara if we were measuring just between the points in the Doctor's life when he first and last saw the companion?

Regarding the Ponds, I was more weighting on their subjective time as companions which would have been around a decade. But then that would mean that Jamie may have been the longest lasting companion, as he is about 20-30 years older than he was when first travelling with the Doctor when we see him in The Two Doctors. So yeah, I was wrong when saying the Ponds would have been the longest lasting companions by either measurement.
    And, as I said earlier, we have no idea how long Romana and the Fourth Doctor travelled together. It could have been hundreds or thousands of years for both of them.

EDIT: Also, no, no it was not a 'whole mess of awful'.

Yeah, it kinda was a whole mess of awful. It made no sense in general, but here are my specific problems with it.
    It was basically a whole giant handwave (with some magic gold Timelord dust) of the 12 regeneration limit which could have had a really cool explanation lasting seasons, despite it not needing to be dealt with for a few years at least. Moffat specifically brought the limit forward to deal with it in a quick, lame, magical way.

The Doctor for some reason thinks the Timelords come in peace when the last time he had contact with them he explicitly stated they were as bad as the Daleks and we saw that the Timelords in charge at the time at least were willing to exterminate the whole rest of the universe in order to survive themselves. We know because of the 50th anniversary special that little to no time would have passed on Gallifrey between End of Time and the Trenzalore episode.

The whole 'Town called Christmas' thing was cutesy and stupid (although admittedly this is my opinion and subjective).

The origin story of the Silence doesn't actually make any sense when you consider their actions and appearances in previous episodes (e.g. saying 'you should kill us on sight' when from their point of view they were trying to save the universe). Why had they been on Earth since the beginning of humanity, guiding our progress, anyway?

Plus the inclusion of certain things like the Doctor slapping Clara's bum in front of her family, him saying 'now that's a woman!' for no real reason, and the weird characterisation of the other important female person in the episode who we had never seen before but behaved exactly like River for some reason all seem quite problematic.

Now I'm not saying that no one is allowed to like or enjoy that episode, but there are objectively a lot of problems with the story.

IMO it is one of the worst ever, but that is subjective.

I would rather watch Dimensions in Time on repeat for two hours than acknowledge that The Time of the Doctor ever happened, but that's my opinion hey why are people throwing things at me

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I would rather watch Dimensions in Time on repeat for two hours than acknowledge that The Time of the Doctor ever happened, but that's my opinion hey why are people throwing things at me

Trial of a Timelord.

<-- You rang?

Nah, I actually mostly quite enjoy Trial hey why are people throwing things at me

edited March 2015
    Yeah. Clara was split across his entire timeline, so who knows how much time that was.

I still feel they should have had a montage of her sabotaging the Great Intelligence throughout time and space. That would have been cool and a better way to show what happened.

Krathoon on
    edited March 2015
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The Christmas special did a lot to remove the broken glass that the finale left in my heart, eyes, and lungs, but... I'm scared to love [this particular combination of Doctor and companion] again. Sorry if complaining about the last season is played out... :bigfrown:

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
This discussion has been closed.