As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    That theme in the background of that trailer makes me weep. The original theme song was one of the catchiest of its era. Not to mention some of the other tunes in that show that could get stuck in my head for the longest damn time. Mostly Penny's theme.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    tumblr_njjm0c322T1qjhlhko1_500.jpg

I follow a tumblr blog that covers animation gimmicks that convey motion. here's one from SU that I thought you guys might like.

(stuff like this is in most cartoons. it's just for about one frame so you never really see it with the naked eye)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    tumblr_njjm0c322T1qjhlhko1_500.jpg

I follow a tumblr blog that covers animation gimmicks that convey motion. here's one from SU that I thought you guys might like.

(stuff like this is in most cartoons. it's just for about one frame so you never really see it with the naked eye)

So is that a fake or real?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Real.

• WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    It's an inbetween meant to create the visual of motion blur, at least that is what it looks like to me.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    DUE you are telling and not showing.

(Link pls)

I wish I could find that inbetween from Superman TAS that is affectionately known as Wideman.

edited March 2015
    DUE you are telling and not showing.

(Link pls)

I wish I could find that inbetween from Superman TAS that is affectionately known as Wideman.

oh gosh that was a mistake

http://animationsmears.tumblr.com/

tumblr_nha556IlHh1qjhlhko1_500.jpg

tumblr_njjm3uYecc1qjhlhko1_500.jpg

tumblr_nh9zo6pAt61qjhlhko1_500.jpg

tumblr_nit8emt7Sd1qjhlhko1_500.jpg

tumblr_nht7tyJaRR1qjhlhko1_500.jpg

tee-hee. animation is great.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Can we talk about Robotech here? Cause apparently they're trying to make it a movie again.

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I mean just Dave Franco as Rick Hunter. Ryan Gosling can play Roy.

BillyIdle on
    PSN: BillyIdle_
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Can we talk about Robotech here? Cause apparently they're trying to make it a movie again.

I really wish Harmony gold would go bankrupt already

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Found it!

tumblr_mnu9n5jLfT1rfbp51o2_1280.jpg

5f5.jpg

tumblr_mnu9n5jLfT1rfbp51o1_1280.png

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    the best are old Simpsons and Mission Hill
    MpUgb.jpg92rfv.jpgdyKuZ.jpg
    tumblr_mtuqu28yBk1ronhn5o1_500.jpg

and if you haven't seen Mission Hill, watch Mission Hill right now.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Mission Hill is the reason I could not take Scott Menville's voice seriously in other works he did. I think the first major one following the show for me was Tales of Symphonia. Just could not unhear Kevin French.

Thankfully that's all but vanished for me today. All things considered he's a pretty boss Robin. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    I mean just Dave Franco as Rick Hunter. Ryan Gosling can play Roy.

i just fainted

steam_sig.png
    @RMS Oceanic those are hilarious hahaha.

thank you @desc btw

steam_sig.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Richard Williams has a pretty famous book called The Animator's Survival Kit and he goes over techniques like that at length.

It's one of my favorite books that I own, it's really great for anyone who is interested in doing or really just learning about animation and how to create the illusion of motion.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

It's both an interesting thing worth of praise and to sneer in disgust is what Harmony Gold with Macross

Winky wrote: »
    Richard Williams has a pretty famous book called The Animator's Survival Kit and he goes over techniques like that at length.

It's one of my favorite books that I own, it's really great for anyone who is interested in doing or really just learning about animation and how to create the illusion of motion.

yeah, that's standard reading for animators. My favorite thing is breaking a character's joints to exaggerate motion.

I think it was Maddam Medusa that's a perfect example of this. If you play her animation in slow motion her joints are constantly popping and you'd never notice it when watching it normally.

Robotech is my favorite shit.

so.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Brainleech wrote: »

It's both an interesting thing worth of praise and to sneer in disgust is what Harmony Gold with Macross

I was all pumped when I found out about Macross Frontier a couple months ago and how it was a sort-of-remake of the original Macross story, but in the same timeline.

Then I sat down and watched it fall like a rock into the abyssal depths of teen l33t-soldier angst, complete with annoying awful romances. I couldn't even finish the thing out thanks to the completely absurd plot twists and the repeated incredibly-predictable tragic bits. And I really liked all the stuff with the Zentraedi living alongside the humans and everything, too.

A huge letdown for me (though years after the fact, it's hardly a new series). Great animation and everything, but doomed by writers thinking they have to hit all the anime tropes for some reason. I would have killed for somebody to write for that show and fill it with, y'know, people, instead of the usual silly teen anime character cutouts. Such a huge waste of potential.

These days, I bet a Western studio could kick some serious ass with the Robotech property, but we are talking Harmony Gold here; 30 years later and they still have IP snarled up in bizarre legal limbo.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    My best guess for next week's Steven Universe/Uncle Grandpa crossover:

Stephen sees an episode of Uncle Grandpa and wishes he could have someone to fix his problems and make him more useful to the Gems. Rose's room reacts and lets him in, where he makes a simulacrum of Uncle Grandpa appear to teach him. By the end, Steven decides to admit his feelings to the Gems.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Watching the latest steven universe I just noticed Steven is actually really strong. He lifted the pizza sister like she was a pillow. Irs cool that he has powers like that just not on the gems level

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-RSGsTI-0

okay. well i have generally not been too much of a fan of steven universe. but i was flipping through the channels and caught this scene just as it started.

that was wonderful. then the super dark ending to the episode.

I certainly understand the appeal there.

steam_sig.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Watching the latest steven universe I just noticed Steven is actually really strong. He lifted the pizza sister like she was a pillow. Irs cool that he has powers like that just not on the gems level

He's been getting stronger as the episodes go by. He had trouble lifting a golf club bag and had to help his dad lift the laser cannon in the very first episode with the Red Eye.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-RSGsTI-0

okay. well i have generally not been too much of a fan of steven universe. but i was flipping through the channels and caught this scene just as it started.

that was wonderful. then the super dark ending to the episode.

I certainly understand the appeal there.

I barely watched the who either, but that bit does intrigue me. I didn't realize it before, but Steve Universe is basically Tenchi Muyo via Western Animation, isn't it?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    its definitely its own thing. But it pulls from *everything* that influences it. Japanese animation, Western, etc.
    Its writers and animators were kids like us in the 90s, when anime was a hot new thing due to Toonami and a few other channels that showed them late night. Now they are the adults making these new shows on Nick, Disney and CN.

We've gone over it a lot in this thread and the Steven Universe thread (I'd not go there unless you are totally willing to be exposed to untagged spoilers.)
    The best way to experience Steven Universe is to just watch it yourself. The first 5 or 6 episodes might be rough, but it settles in by 7 and 8 and its been great since then.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Steven Universe is not a harem show. Its similarity to Tenchi Muyo beyond that belies what Tenchi Muyo was about.

yeah, it's more of a Sailor Moon meets Dragon Ball.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The actual structure of Steven Universe is I think fairly unique, but it definitely has strong visual and thematic influences from a lot of the popular 90s anime like Sailor Moon, DBZ, and even Evangelion and Utena.

edited March 2015
    Well, probably not NGE. More like FLCL, and other coming of age anime.
    Hey, they even did that giant hand thing.

DanHibiki on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's closer to Lilo & Stitch, honestly.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Well, probably not NGE. More like FLCL, and other coming of age anime.
    Hey, they even did that giant hand thing.

I assumed the hand ship was a reference to the Anti-Spiral fighters from Gurren Lagan(sic ?). I'm pretty sure they've used the series as inspiration before for some of Garnet's attacks.

On another topic, anyone here see Home yet? Howard Taylor's put it at the top of the list of movies he's seen this year, and I find his reviews generally fit close with my taste in movies. But none of the previews I've seen have tempted me towards this one.

Hahahhahahahaha

I saw that episode and didn't even get the damn joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

steam_sig.png
    I have heard ungood things about Home, and that "hands in the air" gag in the trailer inherently dates it.

edited March 2015
    I have heard ungood things about Home, and that "hands in the air" gag in the trailer inherently dates it.

you can't possibly be surprised.

basically the criteria for seeing Home is

"Do you like The Big Bang Thoery"

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Steven Universe is not a harem show. Its similarity to Tenchi Muyo beyond that belies what Tenchi Muyo was about.

What is a "harem show" and do I want to know?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

What is a "harem show" and do I want to know?

It's an anime thing.

One person (the main character, typically male), has a LOT of romantic interests (typically about ever member of the opposite sex. Though I hear that there are some that are now more progressive.) and too keep it comedic, about 99% of the affections are unwanted.

newSig.jpg
  • WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    A harem show is when the main character is followed around by a large numbers of opposite sex admirers, often the main character is very much only interested in friendship with most of said admirers.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

SOP for DreamWorks. Pick some pop-culture reference from at least ten years ago, to ensure that the terminally unhip parents of the target audience will actually get it. Make it as obvious as possible. It's as much a staple as the random dance number at the end.

Home does remember to include the random dance number at the end, I trust?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.