As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Codename: STEAM] Speed Patch is now available on the eShop!

TairuTairu Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Games and Technology
Y863Qq3.jpg
Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace

Codename STEAM is many things:
  • A first-party Nintendo game for the 3DS
  • Developed by Intelligent Systems (creators of Fire Emblem and Advance Wars)
  • An X-Com/Valkyria Chronicles-esque tactical grid/turn based shooter
  • A Steampunk setting in which American literary characters led by Abraham Lincoln fight lovecraftian aliens in Victorian London using golden steam-powered weapons with artwork inspired by american comic books
Which is to say, it has been met with a lot of confusion. Understandably. That said, this game looks rad.

Gameplay Features:
  • Turn-based: Turns alternate between yours and the enemies turns
  • Steam Power: Your character's actions are based around the concept of Steam. Each character has a limited amount of Steam, each of which can allow you to move one space on the grid-like map. Use of weapons exhaust a varying amount of Steam depending on the weapon.
  • Squad-based Vision: You have no map in this game, so your ability to see the enemy is based solely on the sight of your four party members. They must be moved around strategically to get you better vantage points on the battlefield.
  • Overwatch: Certain characters/weapons allow you to use leftover Steam during the enemies turn. If an enemy comes into sight, they will be automatically shot at by your characters.
  • Checkpoints: Scattered around the map are floating checkpoints, which allow you to save during missions or restore health and steam for a price
  • Loadout Customization: Each character has a main weapon that is unique to them and cannot be switched out, but there are also a number of interchangeable Sub-Weapons that can be given to any character. In addition to a Sub-Weapon each character can switch out their Boiler for passive bonuses.
  • Special Moves: Each character can use a devastating special move once per mission. These can be incredibly powerful attacks, strategically placed traps, healing moves, and more.
  • Amiibo Support: Using any of the Fire Emblem amiibos (Marth/Ike/Lucina/Robin) will bring those characters into the game, each one having a unique loadout and special move.
  • Multiplayer: Multiple modes, both local and online
  • A.B.E.: Pilot the giant mecha A.B.E. piloted by president Lincoln himself in order to take down threats too large for the Strike Team to deal with.

Characters:
Henry Fleming
d2yilaR.png
Main Weapon: Eagle Rifle i]Cost = 3 Steam/3 for Overwatch[/i - Fires three extremely patriotic shots per attack
Special: Eagle Strike - Hurl an explosive eagle for heavy damage
Ability: Push - Moves crates or enemies
---
John Henry
95GlJfr.jpg
Main Weapon: Bear Grenade i]Cost = 4 Steam[/i - Powerful grenade launcher, too heavy for biologically arms (capable of breaking golden boxes)
Special: Hammer Blow - Deal heavy damage to all surrounding foes
Ability: Break - Destroy crates and certain other obstacles
---
Lion
wJBMfZ3.jpg
Main Weapon: Lion Launcher i]Cost = 4 Steam[/i - Steam-assisted jumping booster for effective pouncing
Special: Mighty Roar - Stuns and damages close-by enemies
Ability: Courageous - Raises team's defense
---
Tiger Lily
FMXEUiK.jpg
Main Weapon: Medi Mortar i]Cost = 4 Steam[/i - Heals units in an area with healthful explosions (also cures stun)
Special: Healing Wind - Heals all nearby units
Ability: Defiance - Survive one lethal hit if over 25% health
---
Tom Sawyer
CbwVKa3.jpg
Main Weapon: Punch Gun i]Cost = 1 Steam/3 for Overwatch[/i - Stuns close-by enemies with a big boxing glove
Special: Hijinks - Toss land mines around an area
Ability: Hop - Jump on top of certain obstacles
---
Queequeg
rAAAEvW.jpg
Main Weapon: Penguin Lobber i]Cost = 4 Steam[/i - Creates robotic penguins that walk in a straight line until they walk into an object or an enemy
Special: Harpoon - Impale enemies in a row for heavy damage
Ability: Warrior's Spirit - Raise team's attack power
---
Scarecrow
jXBe2GV.jpg
Main Weapon: Pumpkin Stunner i]Cost = 4 Steam[/i - Fires up to three mechanical pumpkin traps that can be shot and explode when enemies are near them.
Special: Trick or Treat - Launch a random mix of land mines and candy
Ability: Brainless - Immune to stun
---
Randolph Carter
kde48QE.jpg
Main Weapon: Unspeakable Lure i]Cost = 3 Steam[/i - Leaves up to three distractions that draw in enemies
Special: Eldritch Shield - Create shield for nearby allies to halve damage
Ability: Arcane Lore - Improves team's critical attacks
---
The Fox
W6Mnlup.jpg
Main Weapon: Fox Rifle i]Cost = 4 Steam/3 for Overwatch[/i - Long range gun that fires single, powerful shots
Special: Sharp Eye - Doubles the range and damage of overwatch
Ability: Deadeye - Increases overwatch damage
---
Califia
aAZ4sSa.jpg
Main Weapon: Rhino Bomber i]Cost = 4 Steam[/i - A direct-fire weapon that uses explosive shells to destroy enemies and obstacles alike
Special: Raging Heart - Knock back and damage all surrounding enemies
Ability: Break - Destroy crates and certain other obstacles
---
Tin-Man
KPeMOcx.jpg
Main Weapon: Steam Projecter i]Cost = 3 Steam[/i - Refills allies' steam with its own
Special: Steam Bath - Restores the steam of units in an area
Ability: Hearty - Immune to stun
---
Dorothy
paiFH88.jpg
Main Weapon: Toto Blaster i]Cost = 3 Steam/3 for Overwatch[/i - Fires beams in a wide spread
Special: Silver Streak - Dash through enemies and obstacles (empties steam)
Ability: Hop - Jump up on top of certain obstacles
---
Marth (amiibo)
Agi05Ty.jpg
Main Weapon: Falchion i]Cost = 2 Steam[/i
Second Weapon: Rapier i]Cost = 2 Steam[/i - Melee weapon that strikes multiple times, good for hitting weak spots
Special: Lodestar - Heal all nearby units of substantial damage
Ability: Destiny - Avoid overwatch attacks
---
Ike (amiibo)
hJYujmi.jpg
Main Weapon: Ragnell i]Cost = 4 Steam[/i - A powerful sword that can send shockwaves to hit long-range enemies (can also slice through multiple enemies)
Second Weapon: Urvan i]Cost = 3 Steam[/i - Wide swinging axe
Special: Aether - Turn into a whirlwind of blades targeting all enemies to the front
Ability: Push - Move crates or enemies
---
Lucina (amiibo)
ykvU5xJ.jpg
Main Weapon: Parallel Falchion i]Cost = 4 Steam[/i - Pounces on a nearby enemy with a spinning jump
Second Weapon: Nidhogg i]Cost = 2 Steam[/i - A bow for hitting long-range assailants
Special: Awakening - Dash through enemies in an all-out assault (empties steam)
Ability: Born Leader - Increase team attack and defense
---
Robin (amiibo)
RPbOnCr.jpg
Main Weapon: Levin Sword i]Cost = 2 Steam[/i - Rains lightning down on enemies
Second Weapon: Tome i]Cost = 3 Steam[/i - Long-Range fire blast
Special: Thoron - A stroke of lightnign that pierces through all foes
Ability:

Videos:

Tairu on

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I am so excited for this game. It'll probably be the first 3DS game I pick up in a while.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm interested in this game because I enjoy Intelligent Systems' strategy games.

But American literary characters traipsing about Steampunk London to fight aliens is not a concept that really grabs me. Not sure why.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I was thinking about it, and if this wasn't coming from Nintendo, it would probably seem kind of generic? Like, Steampunk and lovecraftian creatures and literary characters coming together aren't terrible uncommon concepts in western nerd culture. But for some reason this collaboration coming out of Japan makes it just seem so much more... bizarre.

That, and the gameplay just looks good.

Edit: ALSO, if this game gets enough support and it becomes a regular series, we could get a sequel with the Jay Gatsby and Tom Joad.

Tairu on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    My wife will probably love this, just on concept alone. Doubt she'll enjoy the game itself as she doesn't tend to gravitate to this kind of thing.

Wish it wasn't 3ds though, hurts my hands too much

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Apparently the limited-use demo goes live tomorrow night!

Edit: It's live in Europe. I'm jealous.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Aaaaaand the demo is live in North America now.

Edit: I can't complete the demo because my L and R buttons don't work! Shiiiiiiiit. If anyone gets new info out of the demo that should be added into the title post, please inform me.

Tairu on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I'm pleasantly surprised to find myself really enjoying the demo. I liked the idea of this game, but none of the media really grabbed me. First of all, it looks way better in motion and actually on your system than it does in any screenshots or trailers. Gameplay seems fun, my only complaint is sitting around waiting for the Enemy Turn to wrap up. Looking forward to trying this on a New 3DS with a c-stick for the camera.

Demo turned this game from a "Eh, maybe I'll think about it" into a "Definitely will buy at some point".

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Gonna play the demo tonight after dinner. So pumped!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    This was pretty good! I wasn't expecting to like the demo as much as I did.

You can practically take a snack break during enemy turns on the last map, though. Too many grenade-lobbing enemies just milling around, trying to find you.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Holy hell the demo starts off extensively easy but then ramps up a lot. Damn reinforcements.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Man this game looks great in 3D. The enemy turn takes forever though.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Does this game have permadeath? I can't really get excited about strategy games that don't these days.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah, honestly the concept of the game doesn't interest me that much.

But I love me some time-based strategy games.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Poor John Henry keeps taking hits, but something that makes me excited to get the full game, at one point I had an Alien walk into my over watch and get knocked down to half health. Rather then pushing on and getting finished off by a second volley, he retreated and flanked John Henry.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t2POLSZtGY

Interesting comment in this that "The Fox" may be meant to be a female Zorro.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    That's the best guess I can muster. That said, it still seems like there isn't anything... "Zorro" about her. I need to see more of her.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    This is it! The first New 3DS exclusive. :wink:

But seriously, the touchpad controls and the long enemy turns ruin it for me. They've got to be shorter on the new hardware, right? I got fed up with the slow pace three levels in and went back to Fire Emblem.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    The demo is a lot better than I thought it would be from the videos they've shown us, people who think they might be potentially interested should give it a try rather than rely on the videos. But its certainly not a game for everyone.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Ok some thoughts, that was a fairly extensive demo I haven't taken up the opportunity to return to the tutorial level with a full team but I think I've covered everything else.
    Good:
    *AI seems smart without cheating, see my comment about an Alien retreating after getting hit by an overwatch shot.
    *The concept results in some funny dialog, if it's the same writters as in Awakening I'm sure they'll have alot of fun with it.
    *Combat seems fair as the Alien's seem to play by the same rules as you do. Definitely rewards taking your time. Seems vantage points and flanking can be used to good effect.
    *It's very impressive how the characters interact with the environment, John Henry can blow up most cover and can position his blast to knock enemies out into the open for Henry to pick off. And Henry's ability to push things amusingly is usable on his own team mates. Poor John Henry got quite a kick. Where it got really interesting though is in the post tutorial mission you get a character who can launch himself into the air to land on an enemy or elevated terrain. Which at one point got me to the top of a pillar and from there I was able to stomp on an enemy standing on a balcony who just happened to be within reach of a steam refill :)
    *Sub weapons are quite handy at filling gaps with a characters primary. Once they were unlocked suddenly John gets to use his overwatch and the Jumping character I mention gets a crossbow that does critical damage if you can hit an enemies weak point. These can be changed to give each character a bit of versatility.

Bad:
    *As has been pointed out the enemy turn can drag a bit as you probably won't see all that much of your opponent as they move. Quite important from a tactical standpoint but not for the impatient.

Other:
    *Found a small glitch where when Henry was standing near the top of a stairway, enemies started lobbing grenades at him but they wouldn't connect. Whether that's the AI or a fault in the collision detection I have no idea.
    *Near the end of the tutorial (sad I know) I was taking a few to many hits and got surrounded. Since the objective was just "Get to the exit" I eventually just made a dash for it, ate an overwatch shot but made it out, something to keep in mind if your under pressure. You'll miss the collectables though.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    @frem - Use the buttons for the camera instead of the touchpad. It's infinitely better.

I think we are all on the same page about enemy turns taking too long. And I'm not sure how fond I am of enemies spawning out of nowhere after I think I've cleared a place. But that certainly kept me on my toes.

I like that you can replay the levels and earn stuff for the full game in the demo. A nice touch.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Started the demo last night, but it was late, so I didn't get too far (second map with John Henry in it). Still, I think I can confidently say that waiting for the enemy turn sucks. Like, in a potentially game-ruining way. You can spend more time waiting, staring at nothing, than you do playing. They could have done something to speed the enemy turn up. It wouldn't be as easy as in XCOM, since there is no overt fog of war, but they could have had enemies move simultaneously when they're outside of a certain range or completely blocked from your vision.

That issue aside, I'm not too sure how well the turn based and tile based strategy mixes with free shooting. It feels a bit sloppy and loose, but maybe I'll like that part more with time.

• Options
    I just noticed you can walk various directions and get your steam back. Like if there's a medal 4 paces to your left, you can go grab it then walk back to your starting position and get all your steam back that you used to walk there. That's handy.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    I just noticed you can walk various directions and get your steam back. Like if there's a medal 4 paces to your left, you can go grab it then walk back to your starting position and get all your steam back that you used to walk there. That's handy.

yeah, as far as I can tell steam is linked to how many individual squares you have passed through- so you can really maximize your movement by doubling back every now and then

the counter seems to reset after you shoot, though, so you can't just run up, fire, then run back to your starting location.

• Options
    Daypigeon wrote: »

yeah, as far as I can tell steam is linked to how many individual squares you have passed through- so you can really maximize your movement by doubling back every now and then

the counter seems to reset after you shoot, though, so you can't just run up, fire, then run back to your starting location.

I'm okay with that though, otherwise it'd turn into Disgaea =)

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Daypigeon wrote: »

It also seems to reset after you pick up something (edit: that isn't a medal). It's like Fire Emblem or Advance Wars without the menu and in third person view.

homogenized on
  • Options
    I just noticed you can walk into signs to read little tidbits of lore

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    This game, mechanically feels so much like Valkyria Chronicles and yet at least a few missions into the demo it feels like there's something missing that I can't quite put my finger on yet. I do like that you can use the buttons instead of the stylus to move the camera. That was a good control choice.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Does any demo stuff carry over to the full version?

If not, I'll just wait, since I'm already sold on the game.

• Options
    Does any demo stuff carry over to the full version?

If not, I'll just wait, since I'm already sold on the game.

Yup, Cash/Experience (seem to be the same thing) and a bonus weapon.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Playing the demo's first mission is sort of frustrating because I've only heard of John Henry through an Alpha Centauri quote and I don't know Henry Fleming at all. I get the feeling I'd appreciate these cartoon versions more if I had any connection at all to the source material.

I do know who Abraham Lincoln was, though. So there is that.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Zorro is called "the Fox"?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    PLA wrote: »
    Zorro is called "the Fox"?

Sorry, wasn't quite sure if I should put that it but given that Zorro is the only character I can think of that is Mexican in nationality (the flag shows up when she uses her special move), created by an American author and whose name means Fox, it made sense. Unless of course she's an original character, which seems unlikely since all the other party members are public domain.

Tairu on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Playing the demo's first mission is sort of frustrating because I've only heard of John Henry through an Alpha Centauri quote and I don't know Henry Fleming at all. I get the feeling I'd appreciate these cartoon versions more if I had any connection at all to the source material.

Well, John Henry was a steel drivin' man, lord lord.

John Henry was a steel driving man.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Lion's ability, Courageous, gives a unique icon that shows up with your teammates portraits when you start a mission if you have him in the party. This leads me to believe there will be other characters who give passive bonuses to the whole team. Maybe a passive damage bonus to contrast Lion's defensive bonus.

We still have three character slots left, which probably aren't FE characters because there are four of those.... I'm guessing Abe will become playable at some point, maybe as the last recruitable character. Tarzan and John Carter would both be awesome choices.

Sherlock Holmes seems like he'd be a perfect fit for this game, maybe they can expand it from just American characters.

Tairu on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Also Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed better be in this :P Paul Bunyan can shoot out robot Blue Oxen :D Edit: And Johnny Appleseed can plant apple trees anywhere to provide instant cover. He also has a machine gun that shoots apple seeds as bullets :D

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    OmnibusOmnibus Registered User regular
    John Henry needs to be careful around steam-based technology. Once they get anywhere near tunneling equipment, dude is doomed.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

More specifically: he's a character from a folk song from the late 1800s. He was a railroad worker renowned for his strength and speed. When the construction workers started being replaced by machines, he challenged one to a race to maintain his reputation. He won, but the strain was so great that his heart burst and he died.

So he's a symbol of the American Industrial Revolution, in a nutshell.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    Lion's ability, Courageous, gives a unique icon that shows up with your teammates portraits when you start a mission if you have him in the party. This leads me to believe there will be other characters who give passive bonuses to the whole team. Maybe a passive damage bonus to contrast Lion's defensive bonus.

We still have three character slots left, which probably aren't FE characters because there are four of those.... I'm guessing Abe will become playable at some point, maybe as the last recruitable character. Tarzan and John Carter would both be awesome choices.

Sherlock Holmes seems like he'd be a perfect fit for this game, maybe they can expand it from just American characters.
    Tarzan and Holmes arent publuc domain yet

Carter may be

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Holmes isn't public domain? Isn't he in that new Ace Attorney game?

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Is this Today's Tom Sawyer or Yesterday's?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm