As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NFL Super Bowl XLIX: Lick the Gun

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Apparently Rivers would rather retire than play in LA.
    As the San Diego Chargers continue to do their due diligence on Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, a new reality has emerged for the franchise. We have been told exclusively by two sources inside Chargers headquarters that quarterback Philip Rivers has not been shy in telling people he would rather retire than move to Los Angeles with the team.

We have been told that the actual city of Los Angeles isn’t the issue, but Rivers has no desire to uproot his family for a few years to play there. Rivers and his wife Tiffany have seven children and they have a great life in San Diego. He has no desire to play in a city without them and he’s not going to move them. If the Chargers were definitely going to be in San Diego for the long-term, Rivers would have already worked out a contract extension with the franchise. As it stands now, he is playing out the final year of his deal and will see what happens with the team’s stadium deal.

...because commuting isn't an option?

100 miles, both ways, every day.

I have a friend who does this. Lots of audio books. LOTS of audio books.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Good news! Crabtree finally agrees to a 1-year deal with Oakland. This means the Niners get a compensation pick for him. :)

Huh.

Free agents that are signed before May 12th grant the team that lost them, without signing an equal value player, a compensation draft pick. Usually a mid to late pick based on the value of the player. Because Crabtree signed with the Raiders, and the Niners didn't have a lot of big name signings, they are eligible for 2-3 compensation picks in 2016.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    As the San Diego Chargers continue to do their due diligence on Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, a new reality has emerged for the franchise. We have been told exclusively by two sources inside Chargers headquarters that quarterback Philip Rivers has not been shy in telling people he would rather retire than move to Los Angeles with the team.

We have been told that the actual city of Los Angeles isn’t the issue, but Rivers has no desire to uproot his family for a few years to play there. Rivers and his wife Tiffany have seven children and they have a great life in San Diego. He has no desire to play in a city without them and he’s not going to move them. If the Chargers were definitely going to be in San Diego for the long-term, Rivers would have already worked out a contract extension with the franchise. As it stands now, he is playing out the final year of his deal and will see what happens with the team’s stadium deal.

The Raylan Givens method of travel.

Personally if I was an NFL qb at the twilight of my career I wouldn't want to travel 100 miles in socal traffic, that would suck.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Been there, done that. (Lived in the Hudson Valley, worked in the city proper.)

You'll pardon me if I don't find the argument that terribly convincing.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dude's already got millions of dollars and his family is super important to him. I would quit my job if they moved 100 miles away and I don't have nearly that level of motivation.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Being an NFL player means strict scheduling, including sleep.

I highly doubt there's room for 3+ hours of commutin' time.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

So what's your point, then? That he should because...

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The NFL announced Thursday that Peterson has been reinstated effective Friday as an active NFL player and may participate in all scheduled activities with the Vikings. Peterson was placed on the Exempt/Commissioner Permission List on September 17 of 2014, and was officially eligible to come off the list on Wednesday.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

So what's your point, then? That he should because...

More that I'm not quite buying the argument on face value, especially considering that even if the Chargers do head up to LA, it's not like they would immediately transfer all their facilities up north. There was a piece on Grantland that pointed out what the actual endgame may be - to work out a deal that sends Rivers to the Titans in exchange for positioning themselves to acquire Mariota.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, part of the issue isn't that it's 100 miles, but it's 100 miles with a lot of terrible traffic.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    The NFL announced Thursday that Peterson has been reinstated effective Friday as an active NFL player and may participate in all scheduled activities with the Vikings. Peterson was placed on the Exempt/Commissioner Permission List on September 17 of 2014, and was officially eligible to come off the list on Wednesday.

Dallas to Buy Peterson in Five Minutes

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    nah

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Good news! Crabtree finally agrees to a 1-year deal with Oakland. This means the Niners get a compensation pick for him. :)

Huh.

Free agents that are signed before May 12th grant the team that lost them, without signing an equal value player, a compensation draft pick. Usually a mid to late pick based on the value of the player. Because Crabtree signed with the Raiders, and the Niners didn't have a lot of big name signings, they are eligible for 2-3 compensation picks in 2016.

It was more of a "He signed with the Raiders?!" Huh. but the explanation is appreciated.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Saw this and giggled a bit. Aaron Hernandez's Jail and Gillette proximity: (article said a straight shot is 1-2 miles)
    hernandez%20jail%20cell3.png

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Saw this and giggled a bit. Aaron Hernandez's Jail and Gillette proximity: (article said a straight shot is 1-2 miles)
    hernandez%20jail%20cell3.png

Bad joke: work release?

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

Huh.

It was more of a "He signed with the Raiders?!" Huh. but the explanation is appreciated.

The raiders receiving core is hot garbage and no one else wants to gamble on him. The raiders easily have the cash to spend, kinda need to spend some cash, and its a good get if he returns to form. If he busts out it doesn't really matter.

• Options

Huh.

Oh, sorry. Always tough to infer tone on the internet. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Yeah, part of the issue isn't that it's 100 miles, but it's 100 miles with a lot of terrible traffic.

if someone even lightly suggested I should commute 200 miles a day for work I would laugh at them until I passed out

when I awakened I would continue laughing at them

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Best Edelman video yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_th2keiChs4

I would love to be a fly on the wall to see Brady and Belichick's reactions at their casting.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Tim tebow reportedly signing with the Eagles. Not sure I can defend Chip Kelly on that.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tim tebow reportedly signing with the Eagles. Not sure I can defend Chip Kelly on that.

As a qb?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think it's a good move. Really. Let him surprise everyone and then the cool kids can snark on Tebowing again, only this time with silly glasses and beards.

Tebow for Texans QB.

• Options

As a qb?

Does it really matter?

• Options

As a qb?

Does it really matter?

Yeah you're right.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Tebow for Texans QB.

grumpy-cat-no-1.jpg

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

As a qb?

Does it really matter?

What else are they going to do? They ain't gettin' Mariota this year.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chip Kelly is trolling, I mean after Bradford goes down with a torn labia the sanchize is the starter, everyone knows that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I kind of like hitting the translation button under that tweet, and it translates from Indonesian. Apparently, 'tebow' means 'taboo'... feels fitting.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The Lions are going to be on national TV 6 times this year. That is alot of national TV for a team that will be lucky to get to 7-9.

• Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »

The best part of that is the SAS head in hand.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man that hawks schedule is brutal. Lots more prime time games this year but the AFC games are @ Bengals, Steelers, @ Ravens, Browns. The other Superbowl team got for their NFC teams @ Boys, Slurs, @ Giants, Eagles. For OOC.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Texans have a good schedule. Decent bye this year right in the middle, and they have the divison games split equally between first half and second half.

• Options
    Don't know why they can't find a way to do that more often.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'm not up on football but Pats schedule seems rather light.

• Options

As long as the Pats play in the same division as the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins it will always be light.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

NFL schedules are drawn up to specific formulas.

Every year, you play:
    • Everyone in your division twice, once at home and once away.
    • Everyone in one other division within your conference once, with two games at home and two away.
    • Everyone in one other division from the other conference once, with two games at home and two away.
    • Two additional games, against the teams within your conference that are not in your division and not in the division that you're scheduled to play within your conference; the two teams you play are those who placed in the same position within their divisions as you did the year previous.
    So, only two matchups of the schedule are not known years in advance. I could tell you 14 of the 16 teams that the Patriots will play in 2016 now if I looked it up, and could tell you which are home and which are away.

The Patriots are scheduled to play the NFC East (they play every four years), the AFC North (they play every three years), the AFC East (in division matches), and the division leaders from the AFC South and AFC West. The Patriots schedule seems relatively light, but they have a terrible bye week, and every year some of the bad teams improve. We'll see what happens when the season arrives.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    That's enough to take the air out of anything.