As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NFL Super Bowl XLIX: Lick the Gun

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    2 games because "My name is Nndamukong Suh."

Guys, I beat the system.

Bobble on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Roger Goodell has carefully mulled this over, because he wants to make it right.

You have been suspended 2 games because, in your words: “I said that Joe Flacco wasn't elite”

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    There is a reason that pretty much all "legal experts" outside of boston are saying the venue shouldn't matter in this case. No federal court will rule on an arbitration case of this nature. The ones that have been ruled on recently have all had some exterior addition that allowed that Minn judge to take the case. It is worthwhile to note that his rulings will most likely be overturned in appeal because the Feds are REALLY picky about messing with CBA agreed upon Arbitration.

To us Pats haters this whole thing boils down to Brady walking into a trap. Goodell won this one as a direct result of Brady. It is humorous to see the backlash around the web as even noted NFL haters are looking at this situation completely different after the NFL released its ace in the hole yesterday.

USA Today, the most milquetoast publication in the world:
    Venue of upcoming legal battle could impact Tom Brady's fate in 2015

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    USA Today also had an article blasting Brady. But as I stated even if Minnesota rules against the NFL it will most likely be turned over in appeals like the AP case is going to be.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Hard hitting journalism.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Lol PTI says this is an nfl smear campaign and that everyone that lost to the pats are just hating and want them to get got

Regardless of whether Brady is guilty or not

Gotta agree there

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fuck those guys.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Roger Goodell has carefully mulled this over, because he wants to make it right.

You have been suspended 7 games because, in your words: “I'd draft Steve Young over Joe Montana if building an all-time 49ers team.”

Damn....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    7 games for moving the patriots to los angeles

worth it

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I got suspended 3 games for:

Not liking Brett Favre even when he QB for my beloved Vikings.

• Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular

You have been suspended 5 games because, in your words: “I kicked Roger Goodell in the balls on live TV.”

Totally worth it.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Did I miss this being posted?
    NFLPA STATEMENT ON TOM BRADY'S FOUR-GAME SUSPENSION

The Commissioner's ruling today did nothing to address the legal deficiencies of due process. The NFL remains stuck with the following facts:

The NFL had no policy that applied to players;
    The NFL provided no notice of any such policy or potential discipline to players;
    The NFL resorted to a nebulous standard of "general awareness" to predicate a legally unjustified punishment;
    The NFL had no procedures in place until two days ago to test air pressure in footballs; and
    The NFL violated the plain meaning of the collective bargaining agreement.

The fact that the NFL would resort to basing a suspension on a smoke screen of irrelevant text messages instead of admitting that they have all of the phone records they asked for is a new low, even for them, but it does nothing to correct their errors.

The NFLPA will appeal this outrageous decision on behalf of Tom Brady.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    -__-

You have been suspended 7 games because, in your words: “I still believe in Geno Smith.”

• Options
    zllehs wrote: »
    -__-

You have been suspended 7 games because, in your words: “I still believe in Geno Smith.”

I can't even disagree with that one.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    My fellow Jets fans have way too much money on their hands and I love it sooo much

http://www.metro.us/sports/patriots-cheaters-looks-up/zsJogD---bDJLBiox274mA/

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    My fellow Jets fans have way too much money on their hands and I love it sooo much

http://www.metro.us/sports/patriots-cheaters-looks-up/zsJogD---bDJLBiox274mA/

"Sports fans are not stupid"

Not sure they're backing that statement up with their actions

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Of course sports fans are stupid! How can someone rationalize the undying love that a simple person feels towards a team of people who aren't from here and represent your city, by which the team is owned by a money grubbing jackass which is squeezing as much cash from the devoted as possible? Also, it's just a game and we're yelling at each other like your dog shit in my yard as a diversion for you to break into my house, steal my money, and run off with my daughter.

Sports fans are crazy, illogical creatures that are akin to religious fanatics; some are more like zealots.

So why continue to act like this? Because REASONS!

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I also find it funny that Brady said he provided the texts from that phone, but they were just the headers, before breaking his phone.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://deadspin.com/why-the-giants-suck-addendum-1721146160

Four he would normally have four, and a thumb. But we'll save the thumb finger distinction for the advanced course giants.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The better jokes are concussion jokes

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I also find it funny that Brady said he provided the texts from that phone, but they were just the headers, before breaking his phone.

From my understanding they provided all the lists and said "which ones do you want to see?" and the NFL said "eehhhhh, we'll get back to you" and never did.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The better jokes are concussion jokes

Harder to remember though.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    About that exploding cellphone. You know, the one that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell seems to think belonged to Machine Gun Kelly and was used in the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby, as well as the Krupp diamond theft. The one that Ted Wells said he didn’t want or need in order to complete his investigation into DeflateGate. The one the NFL’s own investigator said wasn’t necessary to the case.

That one.

Wells never asked for Tom Brady’s cellphone, and didn’t require it. “Keep the phone,” Wells told Brady and his agent. He insisted that his investigation was thorough without it. “I don’t think it undermines in any way the conclusions of the report,” he said. Those were his exact words. So were these, after interrogating Brady for more than five hours: “Totally cooperative,” Wells said of Brady’s testimony.

._________.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Not that it will matter much, but you should link the source.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    You see the same pattern here. Brady’s phone was unimportant — until it was important, because Goodell needed it to be, to rescue his prestige.

Back on Feb. 28, the Wells team sent an e-mail to Brady and his agent Don Yee requesting his cellphone records. Not the phone itself, just the records. Yee responded that he wasn’t willing to turn over Brady’s private cell information, on precedent. While it was reasonable for Wells to collect information from work cellphones issued by the Patriots — Wells already had possession of five phones from Pats employees and examined their communications with Brady — Brady’s private phone was simply not necessary, Yee said. Wells wasn’t thrilled, but he accepted it.

“They knew and had no quarrel with the non-production of the phone,” Dowd points out.

Neither Wells nor Goodell ever notified Brady that not producing his phone would mean discipline for non-cooperation. On Wednesday, the NFL Players Association filed a 54-page lawsuit on Brady’s behalf making that point. The issue Brady and his team thought they were addressing in his Wells interview and appeal was the inflation of game balls. According to Dowd, this compromises the whole matter: Goodell moved the finish line.

It’s only when you go back and examine the Wells report, and study Goodell’s written decision more closely, that you discover the phone was never demanded as evidence. You also discover Footnote Number 11.

Goodell’s own buried footnote says that during the appeal before him, Brady and his agents furnished comprehensive cellphone records, including records of 10,000 text messages, and offered to help find and reconstruct all relevant communications.

Goodell rejected the offer as “not practical.” Actually nothing would have been easier. Brady’s phone records showed that he communicated with just 28 league-affiliated people. It was clear from the phone numbers which of them were Patriots employees in a position to manipulate game balls. It should have been a simple matter to discern if Brady destroyed relevant communications with them.

God I hate the nfl

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Not that it will matter much, but you should link the source.

DeflateGate’s real issue: Due process

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    There is a difference between "we don't need the phone we just want the data from it" and "we don't want the phone". Wells suggests the first, to which Brady did not fully comply. Which is the same as "not providing the phone". Wells said that Brady complied on testimony not on records provided. These are not the same. (Indeed a Patriots friendly source even explains as such when discussing the email exchange between wells over the report, but does not elaborate as to what "disappointed" means)

"You can have text headers and we will help you reconstruct the conversations" is not the same as "we gave them the relevant texts" and it's the second thing they didn't do and it's the second ting that is at issue and then Brady went and destroyed a phone he should have known he might need on appeal. Which basically means we get to assume it was incriminating

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    At the end of the day, this has never been about deflation or cell phones. This is about the grumblings of 31 of Goodell's employers and his desire to look strong before them. If Brady had turned over his phone, Goodell would have patted him on his head and let him go - he admitted as much. This whole thing is just an ego trip for an impotent ruler trying to keep his hold on the kingdom, and it doesn't hurt him that the NFL has stayed in the limelight even after the Super Bowl.

Xavier1216 on
    SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    Patriot hater Mike Kensil is being reported as the source for the demonstrably false tweet that kicked off DeflateGate and turned public opinion against them from the start

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Russell get signed, $87.6m for 4 years.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Xavier1216 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, this has never been about deflation or cell phones. This is about the grumblings of 31 of Goodell's employers and his desire to look strong before them. If Brady had turned over his phone, Goodell would have patted him on his head and let him go - he admittedclaimed as much. This whole thing is just an ego trip for an impotent ruler trying to keep his hold on the kingdom, and it doesn't hurt him that the NFL has stayed in the limelight even after the Super Bowl.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    It was actually going to be 105 million for 5 years, but someone snagged the rest at the last minute.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Russell get signed, $87.6m for 4 years.

I wonder how those guaranteed numbers actually look because it seems a lot less than I was expecting. All that talk and then end up getting what looks on the face of it less than tannehill.

• Options
    60 mil guaranteed, puts him just under Aaron Rodgers according to deadspin.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Under Rodgers' guaranteed, but Rodgers has a five-year deal.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Eh, if you're looking for a long-term dynasty or similar as a QB, you won't get a max contract as it means your team can't afford people at other positions.

• Options
    It still hampers the hawks ability to resign people. And Chancelor is holding out because of course he is. I understand to an extent, but for me and I admit I'm not worth a hundred dollars let alone a million. I'd rather take lesser but good money, and play on a winner, then take Arod money and play on a bottom dweller. Especially in the NFL where you are burning the wicks a both ends, which can be a reason for expecting huge money, but also a reason to want to play on a team less likely to give you mrsa.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Given how precarious and short their careers are, I don't blame these guys for trying to squeeze whatever they can out of the team. The team is absolutely looking to save any dime they can from each player.