As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I dunno, I'm a member of the Green Party because it actually has a great platform (which goes far beyond environmentalism) and Elizabeth May says a lot of stuff that needs to be said in Parliament.

That said, I probably won't vote Green unless/until I live somewhere running a very solid candidate. Especially in the upcoming election. My riding is swing and I really want to help get this Harper dittohead guy outta here.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I am a firm opponent of the green party because behind their environmentalism (which is not, in my opinion, scientifically sound- they oppose the only realistic alternative to fossil fuels, nuclear energy) they are also utterly unscientific in many other areas, including previously supporting homeopathy of all things. My wife was in Elizabeth May's riding last year and voted for her, and I had to bite my tongue hard.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Like really, it's 70% of the reason why people support the green party; they feel that the other parties are long in the tooth/all the same and think that voting for the green's (who have never held any signifignt influence anywhere) are some sort of pure ideal.

15% Are super eco dudes who think we need to only think about how things effect nature; you will know them by the amount of GORP stuck in their teeth)

10% are doing it as a protest vote because no one remembers the rhino party.

i remember the Rhino party.

Repeal the law of gravity!

21stCentury on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I dunno, I'm a member of the Green Party because it actually has a great platform (which goes far beyond environmentalism) and Elizabeth May says a lot of stuff that needs to be said in Parliament.

That said, I probably won't vote Green unless/until I live somewhere running a very solid candidate. Especially in the upcoming election. My riding is swing and I really want to help get this Harper dittohead guy outta here.

I think that's a big part of it for me. You understand the reality of the current FPTP voting system. I worry about a lot of people not thinking about that though, and splitting the left vote three ways, giving the CPC wins in ridings that should go to someone else. I hate the idea of "spoilers" and telling people not to vote for the party they want to, but until we improve our electoral system, it's a concern.

I know there's little to no chance of it happening any time soon, but changing our voting system from FPTP to something like Single Transferable Vote would be such a drastic improvement.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Hmm.. so the CPC is going to build some ugly new memorial to the "Victims of Communism" outside the SCOC building

http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2015/05/victims-of-communism/

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hmm.. so the CPC is going to build some ugly new memorial to the "Victims of Communism" outside the SCOC building

I ... what?

This is way beyond even what I expected. Even after all these years. It's so ridiculously unsubtly out-of-touch rightwing.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ...Victims of Communism?

Someone is going to have to explain this to me.

Use small words.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Mortious wrote: »
    ...Victims of Communism?

Someone is going to have to explain this to me.

Use small words.

It's a standard american-style right-wing talking point as an attempt to make anything lefty like worker rights or government healthcare seem wrong by going "But OMG, Communism is the worst and has killed the most people so obviously all things on the political left are wrong too!".

• CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    I'm fully in favour of the monument. I love the irony of a monument denouncing communism being built with government money over the objections of the citizens. Also, it sets a precedent that future governments can build monuments to whatever they damn well please. Which means whoever ultimately replaces the Tories will be able to build a monument to the victims of the Conservative Party of Canada. Which must, of course, include a gazebo, a fake lake, and a big bag of tax money being set on fire... eternal flame style, perhaps.

I'm fully in favour of the monument. I love the irony of a monument denouncing communism being built with government money over the objections of the citizens. Also, it sets a precedent that future governments can build monuments to whatever they damn well please. Which means whoever ultimately replaces the Tories will be able to build a monument to the victims of the Conservative Party of Canada. Which must, of course, include a gazebo, a fake lake, and a big bag of tax money being set on fire... eternal flame style, perhaps.

Build a monument to the NEP in downtown Calgary.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So I had to look up more information about this, because it sounded insane. Happily they have a website for the memorial at http://tributetoliberty.ca/
    Perhaps you'd enjoy this earnest look at what the winning design of the monument is? Then just head on over to this fine page here. I think their musical choice really helps underscore the gravitas of their triangles.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Only $1000 to get a name on the wall... hurry act now!

Entriech wrote: »
    So I had to look up more information about this, because it sounded insane. Happily they have a website for the memorial at http://tributetoliberty.ca/
    Perhaps you'd enjoy this earnest look at what the winning design of the monument is? Then just head on over to this fine page here. I think their musical choice really helps underscore the gravitas of their triangles.

Is it the circus music they used in the background of those anti-Trudeau commercials? Please tell me it's the circus music they used in the background of those anti-Trudeau commercials.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »

huge pictures so don't want to relink, but picture 6 of 21, is that,... is that a statue of a dead guy on the ground?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I came here to escape a Communist regime and even I think this is fucking insane. How is Communism the opposite of Liberty?

Ffs, are we trying to piss China off for no good reason or something?

• notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular

I'm afraid to know the answer but have to ask... anyone know how much money is being blown on this thing?

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I like that dead Yamcha is the center piece.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    notdroid wrote: »

I'm afraid to know the answer but have to ask... anyone know how much money is being blown on this thing?

One number I found said it would cost $4M and that was in August 2014: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/public-viewing-thursday-of-final-design-concepts-for-victims-of-communism-memorial

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    hippofant wrote: »
    I came here to escape a Communist regime and even I think this is fucking insane. How is Communism the opposite of Liberty?

Allowing Li Hejun to buy half of Vancouver and live there if the Chinese authorities try to prosecute him may count as a "good reason" to some.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I like that dead Yamcha is the center piece.

victims of self-detonating saibamen are kind of like victims of communism, I guess.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular

Please. More likely than not, the monument itself will be built in China.

sig.gif
    Let us also ignore the fact that the victims of "Communism" were actually victims of either horribly unsafe work environments brought about by weak worker unions, or victims of speaking up against a government that tolerated no dissent from the official party ideology.

Geez how does that sound familiar...

sig.gif
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Nah, in the minds of Conservatives, they're still fighting communist Russia.
    Always imagine it's 60 years in the past when trying to understand a conservative.

DanHibiki on
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Nah, in the minds of Conservatives, they're still fighting communist Russia.
    Always imagine it's 60 years in the past when trying to understand a conservative.

60 years? Don't you remember Harper warning us about Russia's impending military invasion of the Arctic last year?

sig.gif
    I mean, can you imagine the Commies taking over the North Pole? Can you just imagine what a Red arctic might look like?
    31603.jpg

Terrifying. Truly terrifying.

sig.gif
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I mean, can you imagine the Commies taking over the North Pole? Can you just imagine what a Red arctic might look like?
    31603.jpg

Terrifying. Truly terrifying.

Remember, they want to
    buy the world a Coke. If that's not communism, I don't know what is.

• JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I'd be (mostly) fine with it if it was just a monument to victims of government oppression, but it's just a little too... on the nose. :)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Well, saw my first attack ad of the season. PC sponsored ad against Justin Trudeau on the Food network.

steam_sig.png
    Daimar wrote: »
    Well, saw my first attack ad of the season. PC sponsored ad against Justin Trudeau on the Food network.

Yup, same here.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Have you guys not been watching the playoffs? They have been playing that weird "Not ready for the job right now" ad for about a week or so.

Nope, sorry...bad Canadian.

steam_sig.png
    I dunno who this guy is, but an interesting take - Rachel Notley revolution inspires hope in Alberta:
    In contrast to the surly editorial commentary in the province’s Postmedia newspapers, which persist in telling readers and voters they are stupid and wrong, there is an ever-growing feeling among citizens and elites that Alberta is ready for an NDP-led makeover.

Alberta’s energy industry is ready for the warm embrace, shifting to the new government’s side with the silky precision of the gearbox on their sporty German cars. Three days before the Notley government’s inauguration, Suncor CEO Steve Williams told a downtown Calgary crowd that carbon taxes are a good and necessary measure. Aye aye, echoed Jim Dinning, the Ralph Klein-era finance minister who slashed his way to balanced budgets. We’ve always wanted a carbon tax, declared Cenovus Energy, which years ago began life as Peter Lougheed’s state-owned Alberta Energy Company.

Even as the new energy minister declares her commitment to review royalty rates, the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers is gushing at the prospect of co-operation and collaboration.

Energy executive Ian MacGregor, whose company North West Upgrading is building a $8.5-billion bitumen refinery, goes so far as to predict Notley will be the second coming of Peter Lougheed, the legendary premier who laid the foundations of Alberta’s prosperity four decades ago.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

A Search and Rescue chopper will land dramtically on the front lawn of parliament and carry him away I'm sure.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I wish him well in private life, while being quite happy that he's stepping down. It was a mix of depressing and aggravating to see him transition into a Harper stooge, and politically he has become an outright embarrassment.

This will definitely make things interesting in that riding in October. It was easily the CPC's safest riding in this province, and that was almost entirely because a lot of people in that riding liked Peter MacKay's dad. Without a MacKay running, it could very well be up for grabs. (Completely anecdotal since it was a very different political climate, but the last time a MacKay didn't run in Central Nova, the Liberals won it).

Disco11 wrote: »

Good riddance to that asshole.

Mackay will be back. I think this is a strategic move to lay low for a bit and come back to run for party leader when Harper is gone and his successor (Who is even left for that now? Clement? Kenney? Snooze.) inevitably chokes when attempting to deal with the Harper legacy. Then in sweeps Peter Mackay to save the day!

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Maybe he'll get the Toews treatment and get appointed to the bench in Nova Scotia. That would go oh so well...

edited June 2015
    Holy shit, what a scumbag: VIDEO: Aboriginal Affairs Minister literally won't stand up for missing and murdered women

Truth and Reconciliation report brings calls for action, not words:
    "Our recommendations should not be seen as an itemization of a national penance but as an opportunity to embrace a second chance at establishing a relationship of equals, which was intended at the beginning and should have continued throughout," he told the crowd.

"Our leaders must not fear this onus of reconciliation. The burden is not theirs to bear alone, rather, reconciliation is a process that involves all parties of this new relationship."

Yeah, so STOP FEARING IT, assholes. Leaders bear burdens. That's what leaders do. Not pass off responsibility to other people. Fucking entitled privileged silver-spoon jackass.

hippofant on
    I think you're confusing politicians for leaders.

steam_sig.png