As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

• Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    PROVEN LEADERSHIP
    FOR A
    STRONGER ECONOMY

UN LEADERSHIP QUI A FAIT SES PREUVES
    POUR UNE
    ÉCONOMIE PLUS FORTE

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    It's because the commies are leading in the polls, obviously. The confidence fairy has withdrawn her protection. Only Lord Harper can restore it!

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    It's because the commies are leading in the polls, obviously. The confidence fairy has withdrawn her protection. Only Lord Harper can restore it!

Look, do you want free and fair elections, or do you want a strong economy with proven leadership that protects you* by throwing those evil evil occasional recreational pot smokers in jail forever?

*Unless you're a native women, in which case fuck you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Apparently I'm in one of the more competitive ridings now, which surprises me - I expected Fletcher to walk away with it but 308's got him at 63% reelection.

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Joe Oliver stuck his head out of his hidey-hole and tried to spin today's news as a good thing by citing the monthly NAICS numbers. When you see Tory supporters across the internet talking about how GDP grew $4 billion in the 2nd quarter(and you will), that's what they're talking about. Economists and bankers and so forth will be referring to the second last row on this chart.

Also:
    Tenek wrote: »
    Apparently I'm in one of the more competitive ridings now, which surprises me - I expected Fletcher to walk away with it but 308's got him at 63% reelection.
    I see what you did there.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Hey, it's not impossible for the media to speak with Conservative candidates. I'm media, and I talked to my local Conservative candidate just last week!
    I'm games media, and by "talked to my local Conservative candidate" I mean, "Oh, I thought you were the landlord. We're not voting Conservative ::shut door::"

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Holy crap.

I guess we narrowly missed a massacre. Med student confessed that they were planning to go on a spree shooting to their psychiatrist; psychiatrist informed the RCMP, who investigated seized a fucking armory's worth of guns & ammo from the student's home.

...I kind of hope we go a bit easy on the guy, because that seems like the kind of thing we would want to encourage when someone feels themselves going off the deep end (obviously we ideally don't want them going off the deep end in the first place, but shit happens, and this seems like a positive outcome given the surrounding context).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    You just know that the sitting government is going to use this to demonize guns and terrorists instead of lauding mental healthcare, though.

Why is it always so much more important to please the uncompassionate dickholes than to actually help people?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    because the uncompassionate dickholes typically vote for Harper?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    So, I see the whole Syrian refugee thing is going around on facebook. Rather enjoyed seeing the Immigration Minister getting called on it.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    You just know that the sitting government is going to use this to demonize guns and terrorists instead of lauding mental healthcare, though.

Why is it always so much more important to please the uncompassionate dickholes than to actually help people?

Your right-wing political party is willing to demonize guns!? Man, you Canadians don't know how good you have it.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Gonmun wrote: »
    So, I see the whole Syrian refugee thing is going around on facebook. Rather enjoyed seeing the Immigration Minister getting called on it.

Well it should. The dead kid that has been a feature story these past couple of days was part of a family the had submitted an application for amnesty in Canada; they could have been safely flown here and re-settled and be going on with life right now.

Instead their application sat around on that useless piece of racist shit's desk forever, and now the kid & mother are dead after the system failed them.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Your right-wing political party is willing to demonize guns!? Man, you Canadians don't know how good you have it.

I'm no huge gun nut, but god I wish we (in Canada anyhow) could stop bringing that debate to the forefront in times like this when it's not nearly as productive a discussion as the one we could be having on improving mental healthcare.

• Options

Well, only guns that are mostly wielded by ethnic gangs. The kinds of guns that tend to be used by angry white dudes on killing sprees are a sacred right.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

I'm no huge gun nut, but god I wish we (in Canada anyhow) could stop bringing that debate to the forefront in times like this when it's not nearly as productive a discussion as the one we could be having on improving mental healthcare.

Well, it seems to have worked pretty well in this case. I do wonder how he managed to get all the weapons though. Wouldn't the whole seeing a psychiatrist thing throw up some red flags to sellers?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Well, it seems to have worked pretty well in this case. I do wonder how he managed to get all the weapons though. Wouldn't the whole seeing a psychiatrist thing throw up some red flags to sellers?

How would they know? Medical information is not public information. In fact, there's very specific laws preventing that information from going out.

If you have a license, they'll sell you a gun. Which is the way it should be, really. Some random gun clerk shouldn't be able to look up whether I'm being treated by a psychiatrist.

However, the goverment should be able to rescind a license should a doctor say to them that such and such a person is a danger.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Holy crap.

I guess we narrowly missed a massacre. Med student confessed that they were planning to go on a spree shooting to their psychiatrist; psychiatrist informed the RCMP, who investigated seized a fucking armory's worth of guns & ammo from the student's home.

...I kind of hope we go a bit easy on the guy, because that seems like the kind of thing we would want to encourage when someone feels themselves going off the deep end (obviously we ideally don't want them going off the deep end in the first place, but shit happens, and this seems like a positive outcome given the surrounding context).

wait what
    please post a new source on this!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Holy crap.

wait what
    please post a new source on this!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/stephen-tynes-guns-1.3212719

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/stephen-tynes-dalhousie-student-planned-massacre-court-documents-allege-1.3211722

Lucky the Doctor decided to break confidentiality in this case (as he was right to do) or else this could have been really, really bad.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Well it should. The dead kid that has been a feature story these past couple of days was part of a family the had submitted an application for amnesty in Canada; they could have been safely flown here and re-settled and be going on with life right now.

Instead their application sat around on that useless piece of racist shit's desk forever, and now the kid & mother are dead after the system failed them.

Shoulda declared Syria a safe country. Then he wouldn't have this problem.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Etiowsa wrote: »

How would they know? Medical information is not public information. In fact, there's very specific laws preventing that information from going out.

If you have a license, they'll sell you a gun. Which is the way it should be, really. Some random gun clerk shouldn't be able to look up whether I'm being treated by a psychiatrist.

However, the goverment should be able to rescind a license should a doctor say to them that such and such a person is a danger.

Yeah, that makes sense.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

when i said "i guess im voting liberal" regarding beating the conservative in my riding?

this guy. this guy is my mp.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    The Syrian refugee crisis is such a shitstorm. Every side has some very valid points but in the meantime.....

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options

I don't believe that mental health care alone is The Solution; that being said, reasonable gun laws can't prevent everything. The guy was going to use hunting rifles & it was a pre-meditated fantasy he was chasing down. Restrictions wouldn't have stopped him (and we probably shouldn't be pursuing laws that aim to stop every single possible crime).

I want the lesson here to be, "Hey, you can talk to somebody if you're going down this road. We can help you. Nobody needs to get hurt,"

Thus far it looks like he's been banned from every university campus in the area, ending his prospects for a productive career, and we're fishing for the most hard hitting Tough On Crime crown prosecutor we can find.

So I guess the takeaway will actually be, "You can't talk to anyone, not even your psychiatrist. We are out to get you. It's a dog eat dog world, so get your fangs out,"

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    See, that's my entire point, though maybe I explained it wrong.

I was hoping the takeaway here would be "We can do something about this, we can care about people, we can set up support services, they work!" Not "HARSHER PUNISHMENTS MEAN LESS CRIME!" which straight-up doesn't work, but people seem to love hearing it.

• Options
    See, that's my entire point, though maybe I explained it wrong.

I was hoping the takeaway here would be "We can do something about this, we can care about people, we can set up support services, they work!" Not "HARSHER PUNISHMENTS MEAN LESS CRIME!" which straight-up doesn't work, but people seem to love hearing it.

Sorry, no; I was attempting to agree with you and did a poor job of it.

I'm generally pro-gun-control, but I don't think it would've been relevant here.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Apologies if this has been asked but is there an easy reference/lookup for ridings with last elections results and maybe projected (based on polling) for this election?
    No matter what I do my riding will be going NDP (woo!) but I have close friends who are, to put it mildly, political idiots but that are close to me in values so I'd like to try and advise them where there vote may make the most sense (all left leaning, not so much green...).

• Options
    Which riding(s) are your friends in?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked but is there an easy reference/lookup for ridings with last elections results and maybe projected (based on polling) for this election?
    No matter what I do my riding will be going NDP (woo!) but I have close friends who are, to put it mildly, political idiots but that are close to me in values so I'd like to try and advise them where there vote may make the most sense (all left leaning, not so much green...).

For last election, Wikipedia will serve.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

For projections, I don't know if anything besides 308 exists but it should hopefully give you a rough estimate for strategic purposes.

http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/canada.html

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    So Harper put out a video to commemorate the start of Halifax's new ship building initiative. In the video, he was standing on the waterfront, in front of Halifax's A. Murray Mackay bridge.

Except he wasn't.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1309049-bridge-stand-in-harper-celebrates-halifax-shipbuilding-in-ontario

It turns out that, while similar in appearance at a glance, he was actually in Johnstown, Ontario. It was the American owned Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge, and the shoreline behind him was New York state.

After people noticed, a Conservative spokesperson responded by more or less saying that it totally wasn't meant to be Halifax in the background anyway.

It's not really that big of a deal, but it's just funny how avoidable and pointlessly misleading it was.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    ooooh man did you guys see this?
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/yukon-mp-tackles-arrests-woman-vandalising-his-election-sign/article26223244/

I love everything about this story.
    "Mr. Leef was carrying handcuffs because, with his training, he always “comes prepared,” he said."
    is maybe my fav line

Don't cross the conservative party in Whitehorse you guys!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-laureen-harper-pot-1.3215717

What will Harper do with himself now that his wife is, by party lines, a terrorist for having a dissenting opinion?

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-laureen-harper-pot-1.3215717

What will Harper do with himself now that his wife is, by party lines, a terrorist for having a dissenting opinion?

I saw Bill Blair's face and NOPE-d out of that video.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ooooh man did you guys see this?
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/yukon-mp-tackles-arrests-woman-vandalising-his-election-sign/article26223244/

I love everything about this story.
    "Mr. Leef was carrying handcuffs because, with his training, he always “comes prepared,” he said."
    is maybe my fav line

Don't cross the conservative party in Whitehorse you guys!

Honestly, I'm having trouble finding fault with the Conservative MP in this case... The woman was committing a crime (if a rather minor one), he called the RCMP first, and then he acted using his own RCMP training and not like a Florida yahoo playing neighbourhood watch and arrested her with professionalism (in the woman's own words). From the story he seems to have used no more force than necessary (the unknown suspect had a knife, and all she complains about now is a tender arm). And he's not pressing charges in the end. And he's increased voter participation by 1!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Which riding(s) are your friends in?

They're in courtenay-alberni I think.
    looks like NDP makes the most sense.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    308 shows the Conservatives in third place for the first time! Thanks to the Liberals taking Ontario back from the Cons.

Somehow, the sun outside suddenly looks brighter, and the sky bluer.

Next stop, having the Cons fall below Bloc levels of support!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh, speaking of the Bloc, they're faring worse this year than they did four years ago. Not only did the Duceppe new-leader bump turn out to be a dud, they are at present not projected to win a single riding. That includes Duceppe's own riding, which he is currently losing more than 2 to 1 to the NDP candidate, and he is struggling to stay above third place.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Aww, I kind of wanted just Duceppe to win a seat for the Bloc, simply because he amuses me. I know, he still could, but Quebec seems pretty happy about the Orange Crush still... and that's a good thing.

SwashbucklerXX on