As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    What if Federation Force is about a team of Federation Agents hunting Samus down after the events of Fusion?

That might be awesome!

Would end as well for them as any other group sent to hunt down Samus, but otherwise yeah.

After Samus beats them, it would be cool if that led into the next game. I would call it "The Last Metroid", meaning Samus with Metroid powers, but using that as a title would cause heart attacks.

I want Samus to get captured, and ultimately go along peacefully, because she doesn't want to harm innocents just doing their job.

Then we start the next game in a Federation prison awaiting trial, and something happens to the prison. Maybe it gets infected with something, maybe Samus's enemies have found out she's being held there and want to kill her rather than see her sent to a secure prison.

And thus she gets a chance to redeem herself in the eyes of the Federation by dealing with the emergency.

Metroid has always been a little bit Alien...a prison planet would be a nod to Alien 3.

Also weirdly enough this idea reminds me of an old Nintendo comic I once had...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I just don't want poor Samus mistreated anymore.

She has had it harder than Mega Man as of late.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What if Federation Force is about a team of Federation Agents hunting Samus down after the events of Fusion?

That might be awesome!

Would end as well for them as any other group sent to hunt down Samus, but otherwise yeah.

After Samus beats them, it would be cool if that led into the next game. I would call it "The Last Metroid", meaning Samus with Metroid powers, but using that as a title would cause heart attacks.

I want Samus to get captured, and ultimately go along peacefully, because she doesn't want to harm innocents just doing their job.

Then we start the next game in a Federation prison awaiting trial, and something happens to the prison. Maybe it gets infected with something, maybe Samus's enemies have found out she's being held there and want to kill her rather than see her sent to a secure prison.

And thus she gets a chance to redeem herself in the eyes of the Federation by dealing with the emergency.

Metroid has always been a little bit Alien...a prison planet would be a nod to Alien 3.

Also weirdly enough this idea reminds me of an old Nintendo comic I once had...

That'd be cool.

I'd also love or Samus to start developing more Metroid powers. Like, she already has the energy-draining Grapple in Prime 3. An expansion or re-imagiing of that would be cool. Like, she can grip an enemy with her left palm to drain energy. And it can be various forms of energy. One cool setpiece could be her draining an insane amount of heat out of an obstacle, and unlocking the Plasma Beam in the process.

• Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

Oh goddamnit, Samus better not show up as a chibi version of herself.
    What makes you expect that?

The mech designs?

Because those are mechs with cockpits. Not 1:1 powered armor like Samus has.

Actually the characters themselves are chibi.

HEdfg3y.jpg

But I have nothing against that. I see no reason not to have chibi Samus. They've done yarn Yoshi, clay Kirby, and weird overly angry badass Mario characters.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Ah. Alright.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm all for Metroid having more spinoff games. I just don't think this game looks too hot. That art style doesn't mesh well with the jaggy 3DS graphics and doesn't really look Metroid-y.

Also, I still can't believe that Nintendo hasn't managed to put out a 2D Metroid game on the DS or 3DS. I can only imagine the cool things they could do with those two screens.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

The mech designs?

Then they fucked up, cause that's not what it looks like. It looks like SD chibi designs.

Oh brilliant
  • Options

The mech designs?

Then they fucked up, cause that's not what it looks like. It looks like SD chibi designs.

Isn't "SD chibi" kind of like saying "paper craft origami"?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I wasn't sure which one applied better! SD usually refers to mechs, chibi to people. The Federation dudes are apparently the former but look like the latter. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Well, it appears I was wrong-ish. Those are mechs, but the pilots are also chibi, so back to square one. I don't mind it, but my opinion can't change the past.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    2D final fantasy characters are superdeformed. Think FF5 and 6. The head is the same size as the rest of the body. Chibis are more like the World of Final Fantasy trailer.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/everything-we-could-find-out-about-that-new-metroid-gam-1712003930
    - use the second stick on the New 3DS to look around
    - game also runs on the regular 3DS
    - Blast Ball could serve as a replacement for a traditional tutorial
    - concept for the game has been floating around for 10 years now
    - single player mode
    - no four against four player matches
    - co-op four player mode where you fight as a team against space pirates
    - three major planets
    - roughly 10 different missions on each planet
    - areas for you to look around and explore
    - no visor scanning
    - a mission involves Metroids

- Samus will make an appearance
    - move around in mechs that are outfitted before each mission
    - choose to be more of a “healer” by equipping repair capsules
    - arm yourself with super missiles
    - game is overseen by Nintendo’s Yoshihito Ikebata and Ryuichi Nakada

You missed the most disturbing part of that interview:
    Tanabe: So I’d like to first clarify the difference between the 2D games and the Metroid Prime games. First off, I’m assuming you’re familiar with Yoshio Sakamoto.

Totilo: Yes.

Tanabe: He is sort of the keeper of the Metroid series.

Totilo: Particularly of the 2D games.

Tanabe: Yes. For me, I’m more on the side of the Metroid Prime with the first-person view. To be honest, since Sakamoto is on the side of the 2D games, I can’t speak for him at this time. I won’t be able to tell you what’s in his mind.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

To be fair, that interview also said that he's more focused on the 2D stuff. Didn't he make several well-received 2D Metroid games?

He directed or directly designed every 2D Metroid game except Metroid 2.

He was only an art grunt on the original Metroid.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

That might be awesome!

Post-Fusion, it's more like the Federation has to redeem itself in the eyes of Samus. I doubt she would still perceive the government as a greater good worth serving after finding out that they're breeding and weaponizing Metroids after everything else that's happened.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    A lot of people are looking at this as dev time that's been wasted, because it could've been spent on making an actual Metroid game instead. And there's also the feeling that Metroid doesn't get enough mainline entries to justify any spinoffs at all, that at least a proper Wii U game needed to be announced alongside this.

I agree with others who are saying that the game could be fun enough on its own merits, though. I'm not saying that I don't want regular Metroid games, just that whatever this is is worth examining before dismissal. The stream made it look really fun. I'm not going to hate something simply because it's not something else. They could release an F-Zero game that's a Captain Falcon brawler and I'm not going to hate it because it isn't racing or because there haven't been enough recent F-Zero games. Of course that doesn't mean I'm going to love it either, I'd need to see gameplay.

My immediate reaction was "oh cool!" because I've wanted to see Metroid's universe fleshed out and expanded for a long time. My friend absolutely hated this game at reveal and he doesn't believe me, but I swear I've told him before. I think I specifically said I wanted to see a game about the federation and what it's about - is it like Star Trek's utopia, or is it totally corrupt, etc.

I hope there's a mission about tracking down and capturing Samus, who is now considered rogue after Fusion.

Assuming it all adheres to one timeline, anyway; didn't they say "the world of Metroid Prime" when they revealed it?

I didn't think so at first, but stuff like that, the previous interviews, and that bit about Sakamoto make it sound more and more like they're making two Metroid worlds or something.

Between that , making Paper Mario a separate world, and rebooting Star Fox, it seems like Nintendo might really be latching on to the whole parallel worlds thing...
    Well, ostensibly about capturing Samus. It'd likely end in tears for the squad.

Squad tears are no laughing matter.
    Unless Kevin Nash is involved, anyway.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    You have just completed the final mission of Federation Force's single-player mode. Your anonymous Galactic Federation trooper pilots their mech into the Federation personnel carrier just before the Space Pirate base explodes behind them. The ship is badly damaged, but functional, and escapes intact. Victorious music plays as your trooper exits their mech. They take off their helmet, revealing that she is the young Samus Aran, having completed her first (and only) tour of duty as a Galactic Federation peacekeeper.

"See you next mission."

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    You have just completed the final mission of Federation Force's single-player mode. Your anonymous Galactic Federation trooper pilots their mech into the Federation personnel carrier just before the Space Pirate base explodes behind them. The ship is badly damaged, but functional, and escapes intact. Victorious music plays as your trooper exits their mech. They take off their helmet, revealing that she is the young Samus Aran, having completed her first (and only) tour of duty as a Galactic Federation peacekeeper.

"See you next mission."

This would troll the fuck out of everyone complaining about it not being Samus.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

"See you next mission."

I like the Fusion callback effectively nullifying Other M.

It would be absolutely hilarious for it to surprise everyrone as hard as Metroid 1.

Buuuuuuuuuut the reactions to the game up until that point would badly damage its sales.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

"See you next mission."

This would troll the fuck out of everyone complaining about it not being Samus.

And would act as an awesome homage to the Samus reveal from the original Metroid.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

"See you next mission."
    I'll do you one better
    Your Squad Defeats the Space Pirate captian lets say its name is a Syurppus . Then Samus shows up in her helicopter and grabs the stolen statue of the Space President and flies off to take the credit

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Well, it appears I was wrong-ish. Those are mechs, but the pilots are also chibi, so back to square one. I don't mind it, but my opinion can't change the past.

Not with THAT attitude it can't.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular

"See you next mission."
    I'll do you one better
    Your Squad Defeats the Space Pirate captian lets say its name is a Syurppus . Then Samus shows up in her helicopter and grabs the stolen statue of the Space President and flies off to take the credit

And then the Chozo that was secretly backing Syurppus offers to use connections to get you your promotion anyway, but you have to give all your pay and rewards from the missions against it?

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I'm replaying Metroid Prime 1 and I just finished it. I went back to my original Hard save file, and I'm only missing Metroid Prime's scan data and one missile expansion... Is there a checklist that lets me know where I've collected each missile expansion, or do I have to go through every place with an expansion to search for the missing one?

• Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to explore the entire game again.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to explore the entire game again.

It's gonna take a while, oh well. I have to see the 100% ending even though I know what it is because I played Prime 3.

• Options
    It didn't take me that long. Funny, though, the one I was missing was a missile expansion I had just obtained on the casual playthrough I just did.

After 13 years, I finally beat the game on 100%. I just read that it's possible to get 101% via a glitch, but I don't care enough about it to do it again. I can play Metroid Prime 1 again in a few years, I guess.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This will never happen because games aren't huge on "the player fails" conclusions to a story, but it'd be cool if you did track down Samus and the final boss is just you trying to survive until evac arrives.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Maybe a secret boss. The only thing I liked about the game which shall not be named is that Phantoon was a secret boss.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That was really random though, and didn't make much sense?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    That was really random though, and didn't make much sense?

No, but it was actually a pretty good boss fight, at least.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Ship was empty and ruined, so ghost ship? And ghost ship ghosts move in really fast?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Assuming they had bio-samples of other major actors from the Metroid series, I don't see why they wouldn't have a/the Phantoon from the downed Space Pirate ship in cold storage as well.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Can you clone a space ghost?

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    It's probably not the best game to be questioning the logics behind. That way madness lies.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Aye, it's more space opera than scifi. Even the more extensive lore of the Prime games often had to go "we just don't know how this works" for a lot of stuff like why Samus' power beam worked against the Chozo Ghosts or what, exactly, Metroids suck out of their prey.

https://youtu.be/UFpLm3Dg7Yg

Some historical stuff.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Maybe a secret boss. The only thing I liked about the game which shall not be named is that Phantoon was a secret boss.

Not to drag it up but I liked the game we shale not name. I thought it was fun and I think the plot stuff is mostly overblown other than the Varia suit nonsense

• Options
    Metroids suck life energy. Simple as that.

Heh. Maybe the "life energy" is actually some sort of microorganism present in most forms of life as it's known in the Metroid universe. And suddenly introducing a predator to it caused the SR-388 population to evolve into the X Parasites.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The X came first though. Metroids are a Chozo bioweapon to hunt them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Metroids suck life energy. Simple as that.

Heh. Maybe the "life energy" is actually some sort of microorganism present in most forms of life as it's known in the Metroid universe. And suddenly introducing a predator to it caused the SR-388 population to evolve into the X Parasites.
    It sucks the Midiclorians out of people.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The X came first though. Metroids are a Chozo bioweapon to hunt them.

The X were always there, but they had to become more resilient, powerful, and intelligent to survive an ecosystem in which they suddenly had a predator.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Waking up the thread...

After playing Super Metroid for the first time ~2 years ago and Metroid Prime for the first time last year, I'm now playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - and I love the craft behind the worldbuilding and exploration. I'm mainly used to the Ubisoft approach, where you have maps absolutely strewn with collectibles and secrets... which for me results in collectible fatigue: ho hum, another diary entry, another relic. Since they're much rarer but also more meaningful in Metroid (e.g. getting an energy upgrade really means something in terms of your ability to survive), I'm excited every time I can access a new room and find something worthwhile.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods