As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Can you clone a space ghost?

That was why they did it. To see if they could. The Federation is basically the management of Jurassic Park.
    "We think we can clone one of the galaxy's most deadly space pirates. Someone Samus Aran had to kill like, four times before they finally went down."
    "We'd be stupid not to do this!"

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    "Pff There is no record of cloned metorids/spaceghosts/Ridleys ever killing anyone."
    "Yes but the records only go back two years when everyone on the central record planet was mysteriously drained of life, haunted, and the planet destroyed by some sort of space dragon."

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

That was why they did it. To see if they could. The Federation is basically the management of Jurassic Park.
    "We think we can clone one of the galaxy's most deadly space pirates. Someone Samus Aran had to kill like, four times before they finally went down."

Also apparently Ridley has Genetic memory and the Federation knows this so cloning him won't give you a loyal subject

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Waking up the thread...

After playing Super Metroid for the first time ~2 years ago and Metroid Prime for the first time last year, I'm now playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - and I love the craft behind the worldbuilding and exploration. I'm mainly used to the Ubisoft approach, where you have maps absolutely strewn with collectibles and secrets... which for me results in collectible fatigue: ho hum, another diary entry, another relic. Since they're much rarer but also more meaningful in Metroid (e.g. getting an energy upgrade really means something in terms of your ability to survive), I'm excited every time I can access a new room and find something worthwhile.

If you ever miss the old ways, there's always missile expansions... but really even those are often clever puzzles that require mixed abilities instead of just being sprinkled around.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

You asked for more mandibles.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The Federation, like Cerberus or Umbrella, couldn't run an ice cream truck without accidentally starting a genocide.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The Federation, like Cerberus or Umbrella, couldn't run an ice cream truck without accidentally starting a genocide.
    They have a slightly better track record. Their anti-Phaaze campaign in Corruption went basically to plan, and only resulted in 3 horrible unforeseen deaths.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    They have a slightly better track record. Their anti-Phaaze campaign in Corruption went basically to plan, and only resulted in 3 horrible unforeseen deaths.
    They also succeeded in saving Samus from the X Parasites

So maybe their scientists are only safety minded when Samus is on the line

They know if they mess up any other time she'll be around to clean things up

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    This assumes that they weren't somehow responsible for the X parasite in the first place.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They weren't. The X predates Metroids, in fact the Chozo madd Metroids for the purpose of exterminating the X.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

No, that was Mad Science too, it just worked out in Samus' favor.
    She was the 43rd patient to be injected with Metroid DNA to see what would happen. Most of the others were just complaining of headaches or muscle sprain.
    Samus' next mission will be to fight an army of Metroid-Men. Just take your Power Beam and head down this corridor, you'll know when the test starts.
    (If you read that in the voice of Cave Johnson, I've done my duty)

• Options
    edited July 2015

I mean they did it in a grossly irresponsible manner

"Hmm what if we inject her with metroid goo?"

"I don't know Bill"

"Whats the worst thing that could happen?"

"Well her suit could mutate into a hideous purple symbiote thing"

"Stupid ideas like that are why I'm the head researcher. Goo her up!"

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Mutating suit was a pre-existing condition (the X in the suit). And it was more of a hideous orange symbiote. With a giant tongue, and a dumb attack pattern.

In fact, if they'd had enough Metroid goo to use on the suit as well, the SA-X might've never happened at all.

Enlong on
  • Options
    No the armor sections became SA-x. The Yellow segments were fused to Samus and then got that weird covering

• Options
    Well, the armor sections they were able to surgically remove from her became the first SA-X. The stuff they couldn't remove without her bleeding out became the Fusion suit.

It was just a bad day to be Samus, all things considered.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'll admit the Federation has a better track record than Cerberus and Umbrella.

So yay them for clearing literally the lowest bar imaginable.

I still wouldn't trust any of them to run my ice cream truck.

For reals, though, they do serve the essential story component of fucking things up seemingly beyond all repair so that our hero(es) can come in an save the day. And all three are pretty good at that!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Well, the Federation seems to more often stumble into horrible situations than be the cause of them.

• Options
    Well they created the Situation in fusion and in that Non canon wii spin off

• Options
    I would point to the Pirates as a more veteran Bad Thing Causer, but it's actually equivalent, with 2 games under their belt.

In fact, Phaaze is the one responsible for the most incidents, with a whole 3 games' worth of Bad Stuff under its belt.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I gotta say, the Federation mad science division did pretty well in regards to Phazon. They took a sentient evil mutagen, weaponized it, and the only people who went crazy using it were the few people who had already been infected beforehand. If this were Umbrella or Cerberus the entire lab would've turned into a space-zombie hive before the project even got off the ground, but the Federation got the things working and significant numbers of them deployed in the field without a problem. Even XCOM might've had more trouble than they did.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

There was even a trailer talking about how nothing could go wrong with the Federation Trooper PED systems. And then nothing did.

That's the mad science equivalent of saying "ALL GODS ARE BASTARDS" in a copper suit, and they got away with it.

Fleet Admiral Dane is one of the few people in the galaxy who has his shit properly sorted.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I mean they did it in a grossly irresponsible manner

"Hmm what if we inject her with metroid goo?"

"I don't know Bill"

"Whats the worst thing that could happen?"

"Well her suit could mutate into a hideous purple symbiote thing"

"Stupid ideas like that are why I'm the head researcher. Goo her up!"

Are we still doing phrasing?

Cause this sounds dirty.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

There was even a trailer talking about how nothing could go wrong with the Federation Trooper PED systems. And then nothing did.

That's the mad science equivalent of saying "ALL GODS ARE BASTARDS" in a copper suit, and they got away with it.

Fleet Admiral Dane is one of the few people in the galaxy who has his shit properly sorted.

The man used a dropship as an umbrella against acid rain. Dude had style.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Im fine with nintendo rejecting that pitch it sounded terrible.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it would be like yet another Hunters' game. Not what's needed right now.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am surprised unsolicited pitches using First Party licenses are a thing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I am surprised unsolicited pitches using First Party licenses are a thing.

It's fairly common. It's apparently why those Bowser and DK skylanders exist

Its just that Nintendo is super picky

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I just beat Metroid Prime 3, wrapping up the Metroid Trilogy (which I bought near-launch). Have finished Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and all three Metroid Prime games, I think I've earned the title of "a guy who's played a respectable amount of Metroid games."

I have one lore question that was bugging me. Why are space pirates treated like a species? Like, they have a home planet in 3. Everyone is a pirate on that planet? And everyone on that planet hates Samus (but still has conveniently ball-sized ducts leading everywhere)? Is Ridley the only space Pteranodon? Why?

Sorry, it turns out I actually have many lore questions. I can't believe I've spent so many hours in this universe and still have no idea what the hell is going on.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I just beat Metroid Prime 3, wrapping up the Metroid Trilogy (which I bought near-launch). Have finished Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and all three Metroid Prime games, I think I've earned the title of "a guy who's played a respectable amount of Metroid games."

I have one lore question that was bugging me. Why are space pirates treated like a species? Like, they have a home planet in 3. Everyone is a pirate on that planet? And everyone on that planet hates Samus (but still has conveniently ball-sized ducts leading everywhere)? Is Ridley the only space Pteranodon? Why?

Sorry, it turns out I actually have many lore questions. I can't believe I've spent so many hours in this universe and still have no idea what the hell is going on.

"Space Pirates" are an organization of mad science based space terrorists primarily consisting of Zebesians, but with other member species. The pirate homeworld is one of their main bases, but not the only one.

Ridley isn't the only one of his species, but he is the biggest asshole of all of them. He killed Samus's parents. That was a mistake.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    He isn't? Have we seen more?

I mean, it's likely a safe assumption, but how do we know he's not the nice one?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    There's always the possibility Ridley was a normal space pirate until he decided he'd rather be a fucking rad space dragon and did some science on himself

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

I mean, it's likely a safe assumption, but how do we know he's not the nice one?

If he was, Samus would be killing the others for being bigger assholes. Basic storytelling - the hero isn't fighting mediocre evil.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    There's always the possibility Ridley was a normal space pirate until he decided he'd rather be a fucking rad space dragon and did some science on himself
    Nah, it was Samus' parents who experimented on a captured space pirate and accidentally turned him into a giant space dragon. The experiment was largely deemed a failure, because it's f'n difficult to give orders to giant space dragons (who woulda thought?). So the results were locked up and mostly forgotten except for a skeleton crew of scientists still working on the project. Of course the continued experiments and procedures were painful, probably inflicting more than a little damage as they tried for a more reliable space dragon who would take orders. Eventually Ridley managed to escape from his confinement and killed the lead scientists so that the same thing didn't happen to any other Zebezians.

Of course, now he's got their psychopathic world killer of a daughter hunting him down in some disgustingly OP alien power armor, so maybe calling it an escape is a bit premature.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

If he was, Samus would be killing the others for being bigger assholes. Basic storytelling - the hero isn't fighting mediocre evil.

A lot of fiction does tend to pull back the curtain to reveal a worse evil...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

A lot of fiction does tend to pull back the curtain to reveal a worse evil...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Aa810to6s

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

"Space Pirates" are an organization of mad science based space terrorists primarily consisting of Zebesians, but with other member species. The pirate homeworld is one of their main bases, but not the only one.

Ridley isn't the only one of his species, but he is the biggest asshole of all of them. He killed Samus's parents. That was a mistake.

Metroid 1's manual led me to believe that literally every enemy in the game was a space pirate, at least when I was a kid. There were no natural animals just there as atmosphere. Sort of like how every enemy you fight in Mario is a member of King Koopa's army, including the fireballs popping out of the lava which were anthropomorphized like everything else.

Especially because in Metroid 1 there were no space pirates at all, as we came to know them. They weren't introduced until Super Metroid. Kind of weird to think that we see no space pirates in the entirety of Metroid 1, so the alternative by NES logic is that everyone was the space pirates.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of the Prime interpretation of Space Pirates on the grounds that it's the only one I've seen that makes any sense whatsoever.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    So what this thread has taught me is:

1. Samus is not a bounty hunter.
    2. Space pirates do not actually perform any space piratry.

This is deeply upsetting to me, for reasons I don't think I could articulate.

• Options
    So what this thread has taught me is:

1. Samus is not a bounty hunter.
    2. Space pirates do not actually perform any space piratry.

This is deeply upsetting to me, for reasons I don't think I could articulate.

Oh, they totally do space piracy.

It's part of their general dickish behavior. They're very proud of the cultural traditions there.