As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    FF just annoys me because it's been six years since we got ANY new Metroid game, and nine years since we got a Metroid game that didn't blow.

To put it into another context, it's literally been longer since Metroid Prime 3: Corruption came out than it has since Half-Life 2: Episode Two came out.

It's like, this isn't even a franchise that has a release that often, and the first thing you pop up with since "the game that shall not be named" is a spinoff, six years later?

Chibi artstyle is also a turnoff, but that's just a stylistic choice.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    If *I* were in charge at Nintendo, I'd do this: "Hey Retro Studios, remember how you made Metroid Prime and it was awesome? Oh, and remember how you made Donkey Kong Country Returns and it was awesome? Why don't you guys take both of those awesome things and make a new 2.5D Metroid game?"

I've been saying this for freaking forever. I want to see Retro make an awesome 2D Metroid.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Oh, and Earthbound 3 of course. If I was president of Nintendo I would green-light Earthbound 3 / Mother 4 and give them any amount of money that they need.

Money isn't a factor. The guy who made the series feels his work is complete and has no desire to make another sequel.

Enlong on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Oh, and Earthbound 3 of course. If I was president of Nintendo I would green-light Earthbound 3 / Mother 4 and give them any amount of money that they need.

Money isn't a factor. The guy who made the series feels his work is complete and has no desire to make another sequel.

Not quite - there's one loose end in Fusion to clean up.... but Samus has exterminated everything else - Zebes and SR-388 gone, Metroids near-extinct, space pirates scattered with their leaders dead again and again.

Prime wrapped up cleanly too.

But there's just one loose end left in Fusion.
    Maybe two - the Metroid vaccine having any more side effects can be handwaved but would be a good plot point, and there's no reason to think the Federation wasn't making Metroids somewhere else.

Metroid 5 would have to be Samus against the Federation to shut down the last traces of the Metroid breeding programs. Possibly throw in some stuff with her being the last surviving legacy of the Chozo at that point too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Federation Force isn't a Wii U game, Lucascraft. It's 3DS. I agree it looks terrible but that would be a ridiculous misuse of Wii U's capabilities. :P

Your idea for Retro Studios is exactly what I've been wanting for the past few years. Seems obvious to me.... but Nintendo never likes to do the obvious, do they?

I want it bad. But at the same time... so many other games have taken the Metroid concept and run with it (Dust AET, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Shadow Complex, Valdis Story, Ori, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee,and so on) that it would take a lot to really impress me at this point.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Not quite - there's one loose end in Fusion to clean up.... but Samus has exterminated everything else - Zebes and SR-388 gone, Metroids near-extinct, space pirates scattered with their leaders dead again and again.

Maybe two - the Metroid vaccine having any more side effects can be handwaved but would be a good plot point, and there's no reason to think the Federation wasn't making Metroids somewhere else.

Metroid 5 would have to be Samus against the Federation to shut down the last traces of the Metroid breeding programs. Possibly throw in some stuff with her being the last surviving legacy of the Chozo at that point too.

Enlong meant the writer of the Mother games.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    If *I* were in charge at Nintendo, I'd do this: "Hey Retro Studios, remember how you made Metroid Prime and it was awesome? Oh, and remember how you made Donkey Kong Country Returns and it was awesome? Why don't you guys take both of those awesome things and make a new 2.5D Metroid game?"

I've been saying this for freaking forever. I want to see Retro make an awesome 2D Metroid.

this could be good

I'd want them to do sprite graphics, though

Delzhand wrote: »

Yes.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I honestly think Federation Force could be a legit fun game. But I'm just not really big into online multiplayer. I'm the kind of person that beats Monster Hunter games solo. So if it has a solid singleplayer I'll probably get it, but otherwise...

Steam ID: Right here.

Yes.

/facedesk

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Yes.

/facedesk
    Just pretend you were making an Other M joke.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    shadow complex remastered is on Steam now

I understand they deliberately didn't add many new features, mainly achievements and whatnot, as well as better graphics

I'm going to pick it up at some point for sure, I'm really glad it's on a platform I have access to again

Since this is sorta the default Metroidvania thread too, I'll say that Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is a fantastic Metroidvania/Souls-like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvZhXtu5Wc

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Since this is sorta the default Metroidvania thread too, I'll say that Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is a fantastic Metroidvania/Souls-like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvZhXtu5Wc

The developer's itch.io page also has Chapter 1 and 2 for free but I haven't been able to get it running on Windows 10 though. I think Momodora 3 on Steam uses the same engine as 1 and 2. Don't know about the latest though.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I watched an LP as far as the boss where you have to punch giant titties and wrote it off as not something I was interested in.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I remember hearing that Momodora was mechanically cool but that aesthetic is not for me.

Yeah I don't know why they made the boss fight that way. It's totally incongruous with the rest of the game.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2016
    I'd also like a Metroid game that, you know, continues the series instead of every game being in this weird time period after Super Metroid.

Now, normally it wouldn't matter since Metroid isn't a series big on story, but since they went that route with Other M I'd like to see continuing adventures of Samus.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'd also like a Metroid game that, you know, continues the series instead of every game being in this weird time period after Super Metroid.

Now, normally it wouldn't matter since Metroid isn't a series big on story, but since they went that route with Other M I'd like to see continuing adventures of Samus.

Other M AND the Prime series. There are more games that take place between the numbered entries than there are actual numbered entries, and the series arguably hasn't actually progressed since the early 00's.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!

Other M AND the Prime series. There are more games that take place between the numbered entries than there are actual numbered entries, and the series arguably hasn't actually progressed since the early 00's.

Fusion does set up a decent plot hook too.

If normal Samus is basically the space paladin/ronin archetype, then 5 can basically be the whole "struggle against corrupt government" theme.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm honestly okay with there being no solid Metroid canon.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I think I like Metroid games more the less plot there is.

Fusion plays amazingly, but I replayed it over last weekend and you can absolutely see the stuff that would later show up in Other M creeping in. Not being able to go to various sections until the everpresent AI tells you to, following directions and waypoints on a map instead of exploring on your own, long boring inner monologues as Samus rides on elevators. It's kind of terrible with that stuff.

It's kind of the same with the Primes. 1 is great and all you do is basically go down and scan things and blow shit up. Then 2 there are some story hooks and whatnot and it's a bit more of a pain to get around. Then 3 you've got characters and dialogue and a mission structure and... ugh. Just do good gameplay, the story has only ever ruined things.

I'm perfectly okay with Metroid having just a barebones plot, and the "story" is just scanning stuff to learn about whatever planet Samus is on this time and its inhabitants. But if the plot-heavy Other M (and Fusion, to a lesser extent) is the direction they're going, then I want to actually move forward now and stop spinning our wheels in the same rough span of time.

YL9WnCY.png
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Other M is a big reason why I'm okay with them keeping the series light on plot.

There's still a ban on specific Other M talk, so let's just leave it at "Metroid is probably best without much plot."

YL9WnCY.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Alright metroid thread, assemble me a list of Metroidvanias to play while I languish waiting for more metroid

Some a bit off the beaten path:
    La Mulana
    Cave Story
    Shantae
    Guacamelee

The original Shantae is a bit rough around the edges.

I'd still reccomend Risky's Revenge and then Pirate's Curse.

Pirate's Curse is an odd beast. Despite its areas unlocking via boss defeat and event flags, it's still very Metroidy in that the equipment and skills you unlock open secrets and progression in the new areas, and in previous ones.

And the pirate equipment is great.

I don't think the Shantae games are a good Metroid substitute at all. They are far more chopped up into discrete levels and don't emphasize exploration as much, even if there's the checkboxes ticked off of "get traversal upgrade items" and "backtrack to old areas to get new items with them." They feel more like a regular action platformer with some metroidy elements than a metroid-like.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Yeah if you want the feeling of a cohesive, singular world then Shantae isn't it. It has the element of "Go back to previous zones with new upgrades for items" and I'd say it's closer to a Zelda game than anything (go to area, unlock dungeon, play through dungeon, get new item, beat dungeon with item, repeat)

YL9WnCY.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I still want to see them continue with Fusion's plot - maybe make a game where Samus is on the run from the Federation for uncovering that stuff and blowing it up. Honestly wouldn't mind them finding a way to bring back the X parasites, they were a fantastic enemy....

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Bah. I like prime 3's story. I'd even go so far as to say I'm sad the other hunters never got time as mission partners with Samus after the prologue. And it's by far the best-written Wii-original Metroid game. Samus not speaking is a bit odd, but she says a lot with body language, so it's cool.

Which is not to say I don't also adore Prime 1's method of storytelling. I might even prefer it, the way it makes you discover the plot at your own pace through scans and architecture. But I still quite like Corruption's story , and will defend it as a natural progression of the Phazon storyline. By this point, Samus's discovery of the dangerous substance is no longer a secret, and she has allies who want to see the threat eliminated. L

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So this was a cool and really short animation someone made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6wzzPE87Pw

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    That short was awesome, but way, way too short.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I really like how Prime 1 presented their plots: spaced out, optional logs, and encounters related to those logs. That's not to say I wasn't fine with the more direct approaches of Prime 3 and Fusion. But if Samus remains a (mostly) silent protagonist then the former way is probably best. Prime 2 is perhaps a bit of a halfway point between the two; U-Mos provides a lot of exposition, and reminds the player what they are fighting for. Not being able to have a conversation with him is somewhat disappointing but that's just personal preference.

I'd also give a shoutout to Zero Mission and Metroid II for good storytelling through mood and setting. The former really makes you feel somber about the empty Chozo areas, while the latter imbues similar areas with mystery and a bit of tension.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    And not a single explosion was looked at that day.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    That short is what I've wanted a Metroid game to look like ever since I saw Super Metroid's art.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I watched an LP as far as the boss where you have to punch giant titties and wrote it off as not something I was interested in.

I picked this up over the weekend and played it for a few hours. The controls are super tight. The plot is pretty bare-bones but it's told through a lot of varied NPCs. If you stopped at the titty-wacking boss you didn't see this fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKDODMYqs-Y

So many things about this fight are awesome: it makes you really learn the dodging mechanic and transition smoothly from ranged to melee combat. Plus the Pardoner despite not having any background comes off as both cool and tragic with that poignant piano riff playing in what is otherwise a really sparce soundtrack a la Dark Souls. That's actually what I'd say this game is: a Metroidvania with Dark Souls flavor. Really worth checking it out.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I think I like Metroid games more the less plot there is.

Fusion plays amazingly, but I replayed it over last weekend and you can absolutely see the stuff that would later show up in Other M creeping in. Not being able to go to various sections until the everpresent AI tells you to, following directions and waypoints on a map instead of exploring on your own, long boring inner monologues as Samus rides on elevators. It's kind of terrible with that stuff.

It's kind of the same with the Primes. 1 is great and all you do is basically go down and scan things and blow shit up. Then 2 there are some story hooks and whatnot and it's a bit more of a pain to get around. Then 3 you've got characters and dialogue and a mission structure and... ugh. Just do good gameplay, the story has only ever ruined things.

I think Fusion strikes the perfect balance between letting you explore but also having a clear direction at all times so you can actually progress when you want to. Super Metroid is very easy to get hopelessly lost in and after an hour or so trying to figure out where I'm supposed to be going I threw in the towel. (Then tried again a few years later and got to a boss I couldn't figure out how to damage...maybe I'll try a third time someday.)

A hardcore mode where they don't give you that directive would certainly be nice for the people who like being lost or figuring things out themselves, but that lifeline is probably vital for making these games at all mainstream.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Super Metroid is very easy to get hopelessly lost in and after an hour or so trying to figure out where I'm supposed to be going I threw in the towel.
    Super Metroid was also surprisingly easy to get stuck in. When I was replaying it for the first time in about 20 years I picked the wrong path after killing Crocomire and didn't get the Power Bombs which were needed to progress. The only way back up there without them was with multiple consecutive wall jumps off of the same wall.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had three separate false starts (with like two years distance between each one) before I could actually beat Super Metroid. Because if I ever couldn't play for more than a week, I'd COMPLETELY forget where anything was, and eventually get discouraged after multiple hours of wandering around aimlessly.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Super Metroid is very easy to get hopelessly lost in and after an hour or so trying to figure out where I'm supposed to be going I threw in the towel.
    Super Metroid was also surprisingly easy to get stuck in. When I was replaying it for the first time in about 20 years I picked the wrong path after killing Crocomire and didn't get the Power Bombs which were needed to progress. The only way back up there without them was with multiple consecutive wall jumps off of the same wall.

Yeah, I got hopelessly lost in Norfair back in the 90's. I wouldn't beat it for another ten years.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I looked back at beating Super Metroid back when it came out, I have zero fucking clue how I ever managed to beat it. How in the world did I ever figure out something like using power bombs on a glass tunnel? There isn't even a scrap of a clue to do something like that, and it's absolutely necessary.

MP1 is the pinnacle of the series, not alone because it gives you just enough help to point you where you need to go but not nearly so much as to ruin the fun and mystery of discovery.