As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Well, [Joystiq] just died.

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in Games and Technology
The rumors had been swirling for a while, but many tweets from staffers indicate it's true: Joystiq is dead. Well, soon-to-be dead, as they'll publish until Tuesday.

But after that, Joystiq is gone, "to be folded into Engadget," whatever that means. (Everyone, or nearly everyone, is laid off, according to the various tweets.) Which is a huge blow, as they seemed to be the biggest gaming site with the least amount of bullshit.

By the way, the new comic? It actually happened that way.

Edit: Fixed the link for where Joystiq employees had to interview themselves.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm going to miss it.

This also means the end of WoW Insider as well. :(

Viskod on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    And apparently one of their writers died in an accident just this week.

Rough shit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Will definitely be sorely missed. I always liked Joystiq's reporting.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Joystiq really is the best news site for gaming out there. They were a little slow but had almost zero bullshit fluff. This just absolutely blows so much for everyone concerned and AOL is a hug pile of assholes for doing it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, who's really left that comprehensively covers all the big news?

Kotaku's gotten better, but there's still a lot of crap and they've made a lot of noise about how they'll do a lot more coverage about games that were released months ago.

IGN largely sticks to ye olde "copy the press release and give glowing previews to games that will suck later" formula.

Polygon has cool stuff, but they also have weirdly inflammatory editorials and a bunch of non-gaming stuff.

I like Giant Bomb, but I don't have time to watch all the videos.

Gamespot.... eeeeehhhh.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I hated some of their puns but there really was no better side to go to for just straight up gaming news. Nothing even close. This is a major major bummer. I hope all those people find jobs soon.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Too bad Joystiq and Massively are gone, visited them both daily.

If you want just straight gaming news, Blue's News is still chugging along: http://www.bluesnews.com/

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, who's really left that comprehensively covers all the big news?

Kotaku's gotten better, but there's still a lot of crap and they've made a lot of noise about how they'll do a lot more coverage about games that were released months ago.

IGN largely sticks to ye olde "copy the press release and give glowing previews to games that will suck later" formula.

Polygon has cool stuff, but they also have weirdly inflammatory editorials and a bunch of non-gaming stuff.

I like Giant Bomb, but I don't have time to watch all the videos.

Gamespot.... eeeeehhhh.

Siliconera and Metro's Gamecentral satisfy me.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Too bad Joystiq and Massively are gone, visited them both daily.

If you want just straight gaming news, Blue's News is still chugging along: http://www.bluesnews.com/

God, I followed blue's news in college over a decade ago.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Joystiq was definitely my go to site for just wanting a rundown of the latest news without a bunch of other junk mixed in.
    Sad news.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Siliconera covers a lot of weird minor projects.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Well this sucks, Joystiq was the only gaming news site I ever used for news, because the other ones always had to much bullshit/shady shit.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Man, fuck the AOL suits. Fuck your "rightsizing" manager speak. And fuck you for announcing this on Friday, the worst day of the week for doing it.

Seriously, fuck those geese right in their stupid beaks.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I'm going to miss it.

I haven't played WoW in awhile, and I would still check out WoW Insider every now and then.

I used to go to Joystiq everyday until I ended up just getting my news from reddit.

Hope they all find new jobs elsewhere.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    My biggest surprise from this is that AOL still shambles across the Earth, unable to die like some sort of infernal lych that exists only to waste space and annoy people.

Best hidden phylactery ever.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    My biggest surprise from this is that AOL still shambles across the Earth, unable to die like some sort of infernal lych that exists only to waste space and annoy people.

The first time I read that it was AOL's fault, I had to sit and think what AOL was.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

Those AOL CDs mailed once a year to everyone? Horcruxes.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options

That people still pay AOL for dial-up is a fucking travesty.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Wut?

That still happens?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Yes.

I have no idea if they actually use it, or if they just can't figure out how to unsubscribe, and the $10/month is actually a small price to pay for not dealing with the descent into madness that is calling AOL reps.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    You go 5 miles east of my place and your only internet choice is extremely expensive, data capped satellite or dial up.

And if I had to choose between dial up and Comcast... Well, I wouldn't be happy with either.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Funny, I always saw Kotaku going belly-up first.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

Eh, they're trashy enough that they'll be one of the last ones to go unless they change tack pretty hard. I was kinda expecting PC Gamer to eat it before Joystiq. PCG is a sad, hollow husk of what it used to be.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Kotaku has a lot of stupid stuff and questionable quality, but there's a lot of stupid people and people with questionable tastes out there. They post enough content that even if 3/4 of it is crap or a respost of something from reddit there's still probably one interesting thing every few hours not on another gaming site.

A shame about Joystiq going. I switched from Kotaku to Joystiq in my mobile newsreader feed because I wanted less junk if I was doing a quick read on my phone during one of the periods where the whole Kinja network was having one of their freakouts about a subject they knew nothing about. I enjoy a lot of Engadget articles but this is a lot of load for them to have to shoulder suddenly.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    It also puts them more in direct competition with Ars Technica who have had an already established gaming section for some time now.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Hell, NetZero is still around.

Only reason I checked was that we still have a ton of those CD's sitting around at work and I decided to check to see if we could throw them out.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I'm going to miss it.

WHAT?! Massively too?!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Massively was a sister site of Joystiq, so their fates were inexorably linked.

• Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I didn't use Joystiq that much, but I have been using WoW Insider for years, and have enjoyed the round-ups for Massively. They seemed to be a competent and perfectly good website, and as far as I can tell, had a decent audience. I can't see why they're being given the shove, and I'm sorry for the people who have put in a great deal of effort. I will miss it.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Senno wrote: »
    I didn't use Joystiq that much, but I have been using WoW Insider for years, and have enjoyed the round-ups for Massively. They seemed to be a competent and perfectly good website, and as far as I can tell, had a decent audience. I can't see why they're being given the shove, and I'm sorry for the people who have put in a great deal of effort. I will miss it.

Sometimes success doesn't actually mean that much, it's more about what the parent company wants to do. Case in point: The Penny Arcade Report and the LRR shows. They want to do stuff like Pinny Arcade instead, it's not like they had anything personally against them.

Is it something I like? No. But I can see, from a business standpoint, it just wasn't worth their time. To AOL, this was the same way.

So I can't hate AOL for *this*. I'll continue hating them for all the shitty things they've done over the last decade. And as a Massively reader, I'm going to be super pissed if I have to rely on sites like The Escapist for MMO news now.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Hoping there's just gonna be a games.engadget

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Dammit, they went with a TNG theme for the last WRUP feature

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I visited Joystiq multiple times a day. What a bummer.

Are there any other good gaming news sites that aren't bloated with crap like Kotaku?

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I recommended two sites. Gamecentral and Siliconera.

There is another one named Gematsu.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The problem with video games is that there really is not allot to talk about. Also, companies like to keep their gimmicks and novelties secret.

The older I get, the more I realize this stuff is not really that substantial. That is sort of the problem with art. You make a statement and that is about it.

Still, the world would be a pretty dull place if we just focused on science.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The problem with video games is that there really is not allot to talk about. Also, companies like to keep their gimmicks and novelties secret.

The older I get, the more I realize this stuff is not really that substantial. That is sort of the problem with art. You make a statement and that is about it.

Still, the world would be a pretty dull place if we just focused on science.

I'll give you that, but do we need a weekly article about what Japan's weekly fetish is (does Brian Ashcraft still write shit like that)?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft's still kicking in his gig as maximum weeaboo.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I was surprised to find out the other day that AIM is still a thing. Apparently nobody uses it, but it's still around.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I'll miss Joystiq mostly for the Joystiq Podcast. I always loved the dynamic between Ludwig Kietzmann, Chris Grant and Justin McElroy. I kind of started losing interest when the podcast became super serious and then Chris and Justin left the site. Still, it's sad to see that it's gone.

I'm hoping Luddy and the other displaced editors get snapped up quickly by the other gaming news outlets.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon