As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Also for me beating the game was kind of immaterial. I mostly just wanted to build a team of great poogles. I started playing before there was an endgame so never got out of the endless rogue like mindset. Once you finish, there's no going back to your complete hamlet right? That's going to suck. New game+ with a time limit has no appeal.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah the darkest dungeon isn't interesting. watch the ending on youtube, boom done

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Sadly no, once you've beaten the DD that's it for that game save.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Sadly no, once you've beaten the DD that's it for that game save.
    You can go on playing on the same save file, if you got bosses left or caretaker goals, but
    there'll be no more narrator, for evident reasons...

edited May 2016
    I'll back up my save maybe

I accidentally took a fresh level 4 Helion into a medium champion dungeon. She survived, and received 18 xp. With the bonus from being with a veteran of Dougie's Dungeon she nearly dinged 6.

Tube on
    Second level of Dougie's Dungeon pushed my shit in. I lost my Jester to a bleed and then my Houndmaster on the escape. I don't have a replacement for either, so team Laughing Dog Vomit can't go straight back in. Fortunately I'm ready for next time, I drew a map. I'm also going to put a bunch of +virtue stuff on the abomination who'll be going without protection from revelation so that when he goes nuts he'll be an asset. Losing him to madness early on was the start of my spiral, but I did get pretty close to the end before the rest of them went nuts.

I'm going to need some of y'all to react to these before it becomes multipost spam.

I just had the most unbelievably clutch win in the second round of Dougie's Dungeon. I gave my abomination the best virtue increasing thing and no protection from revelation. He got stressed out and... became afflicted on the second miniboss. It went to shit quickly from there, and he died of a heart attack on the way to the final boss.

With only the Plague Doctor, Occultist and Helion left, I struggled on. I had to move all of the occultist's skills around so that he could front line (which shows that buying all the skills is worth it sometimes), and moved the virtue trinket to my plague doctor. On the last fight before the boss, the PD maxed out his stress... and went virtuous! Hurrah! I camped out, and realised I'd cleared all of his camp skills. Boo! I switched the trinket to the occultist and hoped for the best.

The fight went ok for a three man, switching the occultist and PD back and forth when Occultist needed to heal (which he can only do in rank 3. Then, the boss had 2 fucking hit points remaining and killed the PD with a clutch crit/blight.

I killed him next turn with the occultist's knife, but still had his poogles remaining. The first died to a remaining dot from the PD, but not before bringing BOTH characters to death's door (with no way to heal, because the occultist was in position 2). He got stressed out...

and went virtuous!

And the Helion hit the remaining moop for a critical hit! I won! Hurrah!

I have to quit for a while probably, that was the most heart pounding thing I've ever done in a game.

I am not sure if you will be relieved or disappointed to know that's probably the hardest fight in the entire game. Once you're passed that, the other floors just don't compare in terms of sheer pain.

It's kind of a relief knowing there are only two left and they're not as bad. The second dungeon was dramatic but it was also a fucking slog. If I'd had to go through it a third time I might have quit.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    My problem with Darkest Dungeon is that I really would like a calm week where I'm not doing anything else to play it. That way, I'll also have to opportunity to chronicle the adventures of my plague ridden, afflicted, beautiful heroes and the quite insane shit they manage to pull through. Unfortunately, calm periods are in really short supply.

That's what I ended up doing. I played it a ton while I was on vacation. Now I'm back at work my progress has slowed a lot. Also I'm back to roster building for a new run.

I've found you can take someone as low as level 3 through a medium champion dungeon with 3 poogles who have the xp buff and they'll almost ding six just from that.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Floor 2 is most challenging in terms of fights, but floor 3... well, it has it's own way of messing you up. The game understands that you're a combat master by now - it doesn't try to defeat you in a straight-up fight.

IMHO, it's very effective.

The final floor is not challenging by comparison, but is simple & gets straight to the point, which I greatly appreciated. If you haven't spoiled yourself, the end boss - IMHO - is very well executed both mechanically & thematically.

With Love and Courage
    fnnnng I lost 3 hours of progress to a steam cloud update

but also brought my best plague doctor back to life so

It turns out that vestal, joker, antiquarian, houndmaster is a super competent pick for long champion dungeons. Not super fancy, but it's a brick wall as far as longevity goes and the antiquarian ups the loot. I just took home 45k

edited May 2016
    I have the gog version so no antiquarian for me. I was messing around with HWMx2 and spamming point blank shot, pretty good. feels like their melee attacks should hit row 3 though, odd that they can't since grave robber can.

Jars on
    Surely they still update the gog version?

yes but as far as I know the update is still in beta which can only be accessed through the steam version

Update is live! Go get it! It's the town events update that's in beta.

I tried the same team as above but with a helion and realised that the houndmaster's stun is an invaluable part of that team. Stress gets super high without a dedicated stunner.

barbaric ywap is a multi stun ability

!!!

Chalk that up as another skill I've never used. I stayed away from her debuffs. Does it hit the back row? That's the problem. I'm just having to burn them down as fast as I can but they still typically get three turns.

well wherever they put the download link it's hidden really, really well because it's not on gog or the official site so no, I can't use antiquarian

Huh. I asked them on Twitter, that's really dumb if it's true. I would have thought it would be automatic.

The third level of the darkest dungeon fucking took me out back. I lost a jester and a houndmaster on the retreat.

So the update with Town Events was released recently and that was my cue to get right back into this game. I've been amazed, so far, how much easier I am finding it now that I genuinely understand how to play it. Medium missions may be longer, but the better loot and most importantly - chance at a secret room makes a huge difference early on. I'm utterly swimming in gold so far and I'm much more smoothly progressing through the first lot of bosses and such forth.

I've got to week 8 so far, but I've not yet got any Town Events. I'm kind of excited to get my first one, but I'm not sure how frequent they actually are. As I mentioned before, they've always felt like a missing piece of the puzzle but I need to sit down for a while (clearly) in order to get some.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So the update with Town Events was released recently and that was my cue to get right back into this game. I've been amazed, so far, how much easier I am finding it now that I genuinely understand how to play it. Medium missions may be longer, but the better loot and most importantly - chance at a secret room makes a huge difference early on. I'm utterly swimming in gold so far and I'm much more smoothly progressing through the first lot of bosses and such forth.

I've got to week 8 so far, but I've not yet got any Town Events. I'm kind of excited to get my first one, but I'm not sure how frequent they actually are. As I mentioned before, they've always felt like a missing piece of the puzzle but I need to sit down for a while (clearly) in order to get some.

Yeah, knowing how to play from the beginning is a huge asset.

Of course, my strategy is to always buy all of the "reduce cost of x" upgrades, so probably not optimal, but what can I say? I am a cheap son of a bitch that wants a bargain.

I never recovered from my last great defeat, but it'll be fun to play a bit with the new patch.

edited May 2016
    Got a town event that made everything in the church for stress relief free.

You bet I was all over that like a nun on a cupcake.

My first event was town militia training and made every idle Man at Arms gain a resolve level

Edit: 50% Discount Trinkets! It's a party!

Also keep an eye on the town during events, many of them actually change the way it looks. Like the trinket trader gets some banners, candles and some other nifty stuff outside of their store when the discount is on.

Edit2: There are negative town events as well, one I just got decreases virtue chance by -15% (It's spreading madness or ill whispering or something like that).

Aegeri on
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I returned to DD, i have only last 2 levels of main dungeon to beat, so i may as well finish it... but then, if i am so far into a game i can also get all Ancestor trinkets for achievements, and im sure it will take much more time.

I also see, that there is new boss fight in a game since last patch.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Was reading the Darkest Dungeon sub-Reddit and apparently the new boss fight is way too hard and
    if you either ignore it or lose to it, it will destroy two town upgrades and it'll return potentially as often as every 2 weeks until your whole town is in ruins. Sounds fun, right? It doesn't appear until you have some rank 5 heroes but after you have those it's easy to get in a death spiral where the losses to your town prevent you from progressing anywhere.

I guess I'll wait for a patch again.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    ??
    Not seeing anything about a new boss on the wiki?

Panda4You wrote: »
    ??

There is a new Caretaker challenge: Brigand Incursion. Apparently you can play this quest when proper Town Event happens.

Panda4You wrote: »
    ??

He's a town event and a real bastard.

This game did not need more random bosses

Tube wrote: »
    This game did not need more random bosses

Especially one that if you fail destroys your fucking town upgrades.

I like me some difficulty, but that's beyond obnoxious.

I always keep the light on now because of the shambler, him randomly appearing really killed that risk vs reward element. I have enough spare heirlooms I guess that I could bear it, but this makes me not want to pick the game back up.

edited May 2016
    I always keep the light on now because of the shambler, him randomly appearing really killed that risk vs reward element. I have enough spare heirlooms I guess that I could bear it, but this makes me not want to pick the game back up.

I actually don't mind the Shambler that much, because you can retreat from it and you know that low light will bring it out. The guy in question, the new boss, will destroy 2 town upgrades (at random) if ignored and the dungeon he has is like the Darkest Dungeon (so you reveal it room by room). Similar to the Darkest Dungeon, if you retreat from him you lose one hero automatically as they have to stay behind to hold off the bandits for your retreat.

Did I mention he has an insane critical hit chance, summons doods and is a DPS race boss (so good luck if you brought a defensive group with you). They HAVE patched it I just noticed so that if you die to him you don't lose the 2 town upgrades, so I guess that's a decent concession at least. Oh and once he appears he'll come back and attack once every 2 weeks or so, then you kill him and... He'll come back again! He doesn't even STAY dead and once you start losing guys who can handle him (level 5+) and then the buildings required to upgrade those heroes, with him attacking every 2 weeks.

Well, good luck!

Edit: The solution is to throw level 1 doods at him, retreat instantly and take 1 loss. This buys you time at least and you no longer lose a town upgrade for doing so.

Aegeri on
    Sounds like they killed the game

Sounds like they killed the game

I think their problem is being confused in their design. This bandit is out of whack, because he's scarier than the Darkest Dungeon, harder (IMO) and he turns up constantly. The original design of him was beyond punishing and heavily increased grind (replacing heroes/stuff). The fact they can destroy your blacksmith/guild is immensely debilitating, which is what causes the slippery slope into doom. People have, including myself, argued the game doesn't really have any kind of failstate but a soft one like this, which is built entirely on frustration, is not a good thing whatsoever.

Yeah I have no interest in doing a punishing boss every two weeks, that's not where the fun in this game is for me. I know you can turn it off, but I hate doing that. I think it's a cop out.

Hahaha.

I am doing quest to get Ancestor's item, all is going great, then fucking Collector out of fucking nowhere shows up, everyone focuses my 5 lvl Arbalest in 4 position, death's door before i can even heal her, death's blow at the first opportunity.

Guess which game i won't be playing for NEXT 2 months!

Fuck you, Darkest Dungeon. Fuck you.