As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Yay, I remember how to start the A-10C. At night. Probably not the best scenario to try and remember, but it worked well enough.

I also flew the KA-50 around a bit and landed it without breaking anything.

I really need some rudder pedals.

Ya, pedals are really just about not optional in helicopters. Just managed my first landing a bit earlier today in the mig21. That beast is HARD to put on the ground. The figured out he cold start for the bf-109... and damn... I think it's tricker to land and take off in then the pony. Gonna need to dedicate some stick time to that and see what the actually procedure is. Then just to see if I was remembering the pony right hopped into her and took her on short hop. Glorious landing ending it out where I wasn't even sure if I wason the ground or not ruined at the end by a ground loop and tip over to busted prop. C'est la vie. As for the encyclopedia they are changing the ui in dcs world 2, so who knows what that's gonna look like when it launchs. If I recall correctly won't have separate processes for the gui and in flight anymore which will be nice. Can open the encyclopedia up in flight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I may be the only one in this thread who doesn't really "feel" the UH-1H--it might be the experience of coming to it from the Black Shark, which I bought when it first came out, but rocket strafing just...isn't enough. I plan to give the Mi-8MTV2 a try at some point, since there's more to do with it than the Huey as it's properly finished, and the UH-1H feels too slow, but I'm notoriously cheap--all my DCS packs are from when the website was practically giving them away for $5 to $10, instead of Steam.

I suspect that's going to keep me from X-Plane...I don't mind paying full for the game, but then I saw how much any decent airports cost...eeh. It may not be for me.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I finally figured out how to put my own music into Take On Helicopters, after years of wishing I could. I think a playthrough is in my future.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm sure your not alone with the huey syn. It's a different experience for sure with the actual systems being so simple, but damn I just find that whirling beast a blast to fly. [Edit: And ya, the civilian stuff has a huge payware rabbit hole you can fall into.. both xplane and fsx] SCar, how'd you do that. Did bohemia make it simple or is it a hacky solution?

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    You have to extract the music pbo file, convert your music to OGG, decrypt the config.bin file, edit it to use your music and have the correct duration for each song, then put it all into a new pbo file and replace the one in the AddOns folder. So not really easy (seriously, every PC game with a radio should have an mp3 station) but not too crazy. I think you need another step if you want to play multi (creating a signed file).

I'm going to see if you can increase the number of tracks by adding to the config file. You might could even just add new stations instead of replacing the existing ones.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    You have to extract the music pbo file, convert your music to OGG, decrypt the config.bin file, edit it to use your music and have the correct duration for each song, then put it all into a new pbo file and replace the one in the AddOns folder. So not really easy (seriously, every PC game with a radio should have an mp3 station) but not too crazy. I think you need another step if you want to play multi (creating a signed file).

I'm going to see if you can increase the number of tracks by adding to the config file. You might could even just add new stations instead of replacing the existing ones.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    If you think that's crazy, look up how to add custom music to Saints Row 3.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    I'm sure your not alone with the huey syn. It's a different experience for sure with the actual systems being so simple, but damn I just find that whirling beast a blast to fly. [Edit: And ya, the civilian stuff has a huge payware rabbit hole you can fall into.. both xplane and fsx] SCar, how'd you do that. Did bohemia make it simple or is it a hacky solution?

It's much, much smaller in FSX, though it's still there (for example, AlphaSim's best offerings were cheaper than the typical pay stuff for X-Plane, plus a lot of them are old enough that they've been released as freeware).

• Options
    Woo, adding more tracks to the config file seems to have worked. I now have 2 custom stations with 30 tracks each.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    striderjg wrote: »

It's much, much smaller in FSX, though it's still there (for example, AlphaSim's best offerings were cheaper than the typical pay stuff for X-Plane, plus a lot of them are old enough that they've been released as freeware).

While I never went that route, only ever buying a tomahawk for fsx, I think much much is a large overstatement. FSX has a rather large collection of addons that a lot of people consider essential. Quick guide to a few http://fsxgetstarted.com/ Ive heard youtubers talking about orbx sceneries, pmdg aircraft and dodosim helicopters in particular.

In other news, I found out yesterday they gave the mig 21 tactical nukes! Kobuleti naturally had a very bad day considering I was currently stationed there practicing my landings in the mig when I gathered this information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaaiNIRO3E8&feature=youtu.be

Missed the impact. No special effect but that is one BIG boom.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Don't ever use nukes in online play, they can crash servers (and regularly do).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I'd assume the mission would have to be designed specifically for them for them to be balanced as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    What up guys, I like the new thread. I haven't had a chance to sim much lately (well I've been playing Elite with a ps3 controller..). But it's good to see you guys are still getting in some flight time.

I'm trying to clean out some stuff I haven't been using, to be replaced with other gadgets I'll probably use more. So, is anyone in the market for Saitek Pro Flight Yoke w/ 3 lever throttle? (this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TCD1UK/). I bought one awhile ago and never got around to using it. Thought I was going to start civilian flight again, but never happened. Anyway, I'm going to ebay it most likely but wanted to offer it up to you guys. It's new in the box. If you're interested, send me a PM.

• Options
    God the A-10C's controls are so good. Just the thought that was put in to the HOTAS controls for that thing is amazing. Though since it uses the F-16's stick and the F-15E's throttles, I would imagine they took a lot of the controls from those jets when they were designing the upgrade.

It's just amazing how fluid it is, and how easy it is to target and employ the weapon systems, while maneuvering the jet. It really is a dream to fly, I can see why Hog pilots love it.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    So they're just accurately modelling Mutually Assured Destruction.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    That moment when you realize you've been doing the whole mission with your flaps up and wondering why the jet was twitchy and climbing... :bigfrown:

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Jesus, what have I become. I'm ordering a kneeboard case for my iPad air so I can use it as a kneeboard and copy JTAC coordinates and stuff...

• Options
    I know a couple of you here are A-10C pilots, I have a question: I can successfully employ all the A-10's weapons except the laser guided bombs. I must be doing something wrong. I have GBU-12's on it, and I go in to my DSMS profile and make sure auto lase is on, and the lase time is 10s. I make sure the target pod is on L or B (both) mode, and I lock a target with the pod as SOI and a long TMS up, making it my SPI. I get the bomb release piper drop, I hold pickle, bomb falls...and...hits whatever. It's like the thing isn't auto lasing my target.

• Options
    I'm probably wrong, but I think you might have to lase the target as the bomb falls.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Normally yes, but that's the entire point of auto lase. They teach it to you in the A-10C tutorial! You setup the auto lase with a timer, and the computer will automatically lase as necessary. I need to go do the tutorial again I guess, I must be missing a step. You can manually lase with the nose wheel steering button as the bomb is about 10-15s from impact, but setting up auto lase while you're on your way to the target seems more efficient.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Are you flying in such a way that you are masking the laser. You'd get a M next to the Laser L. Also keep an eye on the L. It should blink when the laser is active. Also, are you remembering to save the profile? Have you also remembered to arm the laser. I know some of this stuff is obvious but trying to covert all bases as we can sometimes forget the sillyest things.

DSMS GBU-12 profile. Set auto laz to on, enter 10 into laz time change mode to ccrp, save profile. Master arm, tgp, laser switchs on. Not flying in such a way that your masking the lasers view of the target. Those are the only things I can really think of.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Blarg, I think it was forgetting to arm the laser that was doing it. I wasn't masking myself, that's for sure, as these were bomb runs on trucks out in open fields.

Single seat combat jets are complicated, who knew?

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Nice relaxing evening flight in the A-10C.

10k59r75yhle.jpg

On my way to practice using mark points to ripple fire Maverick missiles.

• Options
    Operation Make It Fly Like the Hog is in full swing. Phase 1 was to map the hogs standard HOTAS controls in Thrustmaster's TMC, so I had more control of what everything did, while still maintaining the 1:1 HOTAS setup of the A-10C. Worked magically, and if anyone wants that TMC file, let me know. It maps the entire Warthog to the A-10C's default HOTAS, including all the various engine toggles and such, but through the Thrustmaster software, so that you can have full scripting support when flying the A-10C. It does require you to bind a few extra keys, but in every case I used a key pairing that should be empty in the default A-10C sim config, and they are easily changeable at the top of the file.

Phase 2 was to remap my Eagle setup in TMC to fly conceptually like the hog does. Obviously it can't map 1:1, but I wanted the concepts to be similar. So I now do all target management using the TMS, all weapon management using the DMS, I toggle nose wheel steering with the same button, and I've used the Coolie switch for managing the radar, which is really the only sensor you have in the Eagle (thus no need for the entire SOI concept). The mouse nub is used for managing the target reticle in both aircraft. Many of my "meta" controls like PTT, and TrackIR control, are mapped the same between the two aircraft.

Essentially, I want minimum muscle memory reprogram when I switch from aircraft to aircraft, and the A-10C's default HOTAS controls are so brilliant, so well thought out, I just had to make the Eagle fly like it. This is now going to be my standard control basis going forward. Make It Fly Like the Hog. I even have the capability to implement the hogs long press, short press, architecture if I really wanted to on a jet, though on the Eagle it's all short press functionality as it simply doesn't overwhelm you with systems to manage like the hog does.

• Options
    Operation: Penny in the Well

I'm going to try and get some people together to play some F-15 campaign stuff this weekend. We're going to be doing semi serious co-op, trying to use brevity and military tactics when possible, but not super strict or serious. I'm also going to use it as a chance to teach some people the F-15.

If you can take off, land and basically fly in a straight line, you're welcome to join. I'll teach everything we need to know about radar and tactics on the run. We'll probably die hilariously to SAMs or other aircraft, but it's all for fun and learning.

If you're interested in joining Operation: Penny in the Well, post here, and give some times you're available. You'll need DCS World and the Flaming Cliffs 3 addon.

• Options
    I probably would be up for that but I've been having a really hard week in a few regards and had to make some tough decisions... so not really up for it this week unfortunately. Tomorow I have to work through as many things as I can so I can put my decision into practice on Sunday. And all the appliances in the house seem to have decided to break at once.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You know, moving it out a week is actually a stellar plan. I really want to put some work in to picking a mission and such, or building one if I need to. Giving me a week to put something more formal together is actually an excellent idea.

Hope things look up for you soon.

• Options
    Willie V.Willie V. Gama Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    Wanted to know if anyone will be at BYOC at PAX East 2015.....looking to play/fly (ARMA 3, DCS, Take on Hellicopters, BFBC2, BF3 or Insurgency) on the floor Friday & Saturday all day & night!!!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    So Leatherneck finally announced the F-14:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140017

Looks like A/A+/B models. I'm excited, but not as excited as I would have been with C/D models. That said, the F-14 C/D and the F/A-18C that ED is working on would have had tremendous overlap, so it makes some sense. The C/D variants would also require the new air-to-surface radar that ED is working on for the Hornet, so this lets them release the Tomcat separate from ED's schedule on that radar.

At any rate, the only plane that is more iconic to me than the F-16 is the F-14, so I'm super excited for this module. If ED or one of the other third parties would just get going on a PFM F-16 (preferably block 52) and a full PFM F-15 module (preferably with the Strike Eagle included), I'd be in DCS heaven.

e: One other note, this is Leatherneck, the guys who did the Mig-21bis, which is an absolute top level module. You can expect them to actually deliver, and have it be a great module upon release. Since it's Leatherneck, this will be a day one purchase for me.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm completely coincidentally watching Top Gun right now.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    *Looks at the prior three posts*

And so it begins. Better hit the brakes and let these next few pages fly right by!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ah, come on TOG, don't be upset. You've just lost that lovin' feelin'.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    ...alpha velveeta knuckle underwear?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Ah, come on TOG, don't be upset. You've just lost that lovin' feelin'.
    This story is both relevant and not relevant. When I was in Air Force basic there was some top brass coming to Lackland AFB for whatever reason. The plan was to put together some singers from the trainees for a performance for the shinding so during morning formation the TIs asked for volunteers to come up and sing as a quick and dirty audition. There were, of course, a couple jackasses that insisted on singing the national anthem and the Air Force theme song (thankfully the TIs told everyone to not even fucking think about doing doing those songs again because no one wanted to be constantly standing at attention). So, one glorious bastard got up and started singing You Lost That Loving Feeling and when he hit the chorus all hell broke loose.

Every one of us knew the lyrics and every one of us joined in. There were hundreds of trainees singing along and the TIs lost their shit. They were laughing too fucking hard to do anything about it and it wasn't till the end that they were able to get some sense of composure back.

You Lost That Loving Feeling was banned after that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I would absolutely buy the F-14 and put Highway to the Danger Zone on repeat.

• Options
    For your listening pleasure:
    http://youtu.be/gTeMdsKq0d0

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Man learning carrier ops in the fastest Naval interceptor ever is going to be pretty neat. I got pretty good at landing Hellcats on carriers in IL-2, it's going to be fun to see what's different. I'm thinking that modern instruments and avionics is going to make it easier, despite the higher airspeed of the F-14. Hell, in some ways carrier landings are easier than regular landings. With the Hellcat once you get used to the approach you just sort of bang it into the trap and let the tailhook do the rest. Carriers always turn into the wind to recover their aircraft so once you get used to the idea of landing on a speck in the ocean trimming for approach is pretty easy. Of course things are a lot more interesting when you are all shot up.

• Options
    Carrier landings are actually more like carrier controlled crashes. The speeds and glide path angles you land at are so much higher than regular runways. You can put all that 2.5 degree down slope, 150 knot shit to bed landing on a carrier.

• Options
    Operation: Penny in the Well

This operation is a GO, Saturday 3/7/2014, at 7 PM PST. I'll be leading a four ship F-15 flight through a mission flying cover for AI controlled F-16's doing SEAD. I've picked out the mission and run it myself, so aside from some of the random elements (like MANPAD and SAM placement) I basically know what's going on.

This is very much a learning flight. If you aren't the best pilot in the world, it's fine, you should still come. I'd like to get three other PA people to fly with me, but I'll pull from outside sources to fill the flight if I need to.

In the worlds of Viper, you are the top 1% of Penny Arcade aviators. The elite, best of the best. We'll make you better.