As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Comment bellow!

I HAVE QUITE A FEW, THANK YOU!

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Even if all the amiibos were avaiable in ample supply, would you guys still get each one of them?

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    doubtful
    15$ apiece for what'll end up being 50+ toys? nope.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yea, kind of a tough call. There are some that I probably wouldn't get, but in all honesty I really do like most of the ones they've released so far.

The challenge going forward will be to sell the same amiibo over and over. We already have SSB Mario, mario party mario, and then the gold and silver variants. Then there will be one for the next mario game, etc. That is where it could start getting difficult.

But then there's Yoshi. I have the smash bros Yoshi, and zero interest in the mario party one. But yarn yoshi...I must own it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    yeah, if they just released yarn amiibo of every character I would probably buy all of them

• Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    yeah, if they just released yarn amiibo of every character I would probably buy all of them

At the very least Yarn Kirby.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Well that's great, now I imagined a Yarn Wii Fit Trainer.

Then I imagined the forum arguments over her boob size.

Now I'm all sad.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Even if all the amiibos were avaiable in ample supply, would you guys still get each one of them?

I decided a long time ago I won't be getting all da amiibos. I don't have the money or space at the moment.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Probably, though my purchases would be much more spaced out.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The scarcity has also infused an artificial sense of desire. Do you want this amiibo because you're really interested in it? Or do you want it because if you don't get it now, you'll never ever see one again?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The scarcity has also infused an artificial sense of desire. Do you want this amiibo because you're really interested in it? Or do you want it because if you don't get it now, you'll never ever see one again?

this is why i bought charizard.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

The only rare ones I have are Pit and Ness. The others are pretty much common (Mega Man, Toon Link, Wario. The ones that might not count as common are the Splatoon 3-Pack).

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

I'm only buying the ones I really want in the first place, so I have a bunch of Pokemon, Kirby, Yoshi, and Lucina.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Man, the Wario amiibo has got to be my favorite so far. It's so well made and it's even heavier than the others, it's hard to believe.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Man, the Wario amiibo has got to be my favorite so far. It's so well made and it's even heavier than the others, it's hard to believe.

He's probably my second favorite after Dedede.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »

They are both very heavy amiibos!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      -Abel--Abel- Registered User regular

I agree. I was on the fence with getting Wario, but I really like the detail on it. I just got my Robin one from Japan and he's really well done too. I'm thinking of removing Link from my shelf because he looks so bad in comparison to my others.

• Options
      edited July 2015
      -Abel- wrote: »

I agree. I was on the fence with getting Wario, but I really like the detail on it. I just got my Robin one from Japan and he's really well done too. I'm thinking of removing Link from my shelf because he looks so bad in comparison to my others.

That's partially the reason I haven't got regular Link. That and the fact that I was told it was rare and I already have an OoT Link figure from back in the day.

I love the detail on Toon Link, too.

RockinX on
    • Options
      McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      McFlynn wrote: »

They are both very heavy amiibos!

I like 'em plump.

• Options
      On the flip side, this Little Mac is ridiculously light. I'm actually amazed he is/was hyper rare. It looks like one mold of plastic and the detailing is incredibly simplistic. I mean it looks great, but while I don't mean this as an insult... it looks really cheap. The cost and labor to make this must be peanuts, and I can't understand why they can't or don't make more on a dime.

Well, I know why, it's Nintendo being stupid conservative. I'm just amazed how simple and inexpensive he looks.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • Options
      edited July 2015
      I don't know whether to attempt to put my Splatoon 3-Pack for trade. The Squid amiibo looks like it was assembled terribly, look:

CJF-r7pUkAAakQJ_zpsxmdfqxu4.jpg

The part that is circled is hard to make out on a 3DS camera, but it's like the plastic was not melted the way it was supposed to be and then put together half-assedly, it's kind of driving me crazy. Not only that. but Amazon used a box that was smaller than the cardboard, so the cardboard had to be bent. I keep the boxes of everything I open, so I'm not too happy about it.

I am really not sure it's a good idea to attemp to trade it, not only people here try to take advantage of others by offering something of much lower value, but receiving packages from outside of the country has been getting increasingly more expensive, so I might just have to live with that imperfect Squid.

I know Amazon isn't at fault for the low quality Squid amiibo, but there is no excuse for them to use a box that is smaller than the pack itself. Should I complain about the bent cardboard to Amazon?

RockinX on
    • Options
      my squid look pretty much the same; its just the seam between two molded parts that were assembled later. I don't know if you're going to find much better, which is understandably maybe disappointing. If you're not aiming for NIB collector's grade you can do what I'm planning to and have a friend who's into miniatures fill and paint it.

• Options
      my squid look pretty much the same; its just the seam between two molded parts that were assembled later. I don't know if you're going to find much better, which is understandably maybe disappointing. If you're not aiming for NIB collector's grade you can do what I'm planning to and have a friend who's into miniatures fill and paint it.

I'm going to see if I can get my brother to take a better picture so that the rough finish of the circled part is more apparent. It's hard to describe.

I wish I had a friend who is into miniatures like you do.

• Options
      OptyOpty Registered User regular
      Yeah, the squid is basically two parts put together and the seam between them is obvious. You can see it pretty well here: tumblr_nmjxnlPU301u3akyno1_1280.jpg

• Options
      Opty wrote: »
      Yeah, the squid is basically two parts put together and the seam between them is obvious. You can see it pretty well here: tumblr_nmjxnlPU301u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Oh, I thought something broke and was put together again sloppily, good to know all of them are like that. The part that is highlighted by an arrow on my picture still bothers me a bit, though.

• Options
      Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
      That does look like a pretty big gap, I'm not sure how obvious it would be once stood up though. If it's a big worry it looks like it'd be pretty easy to fill in with a tiny bit of epoxy putty and some paint or something if you know how to do that sort of thing.

• Options
      Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      Dude, I think Mario and Sonic are going to start punching the shit out of each other. Just look at that anger!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
      Sonic has a sort of competitive smirk. Mario looks straight up hostile.

• Options
      Mario remembers what dickholes Sega were in their advertising during the 90s.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
      The Kirby Cover Syndrome has spread.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    • Options
      Probably just the american cover

Re: Squid amiibo here's mine in reasonable macro detail for comparison. It is definitely the most "cheap chinese toy" -like of what I've got (toon link, samus, sheik, splatoon3pack). The boy/girl squids are much nicer.

• Options
      Probably just the american cover

Re: Squid amiibo here's mine in reasonable macro detail for comparison. It is definitely the most "cheap chinese toy" -like of what I've got (toon link, samus, sheik, splatoon3pack). The boy/girl squids are much nicer.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Mine's worse, but not much different from that aside from an imperfection on the ink pool of the Squid.

I told my brother about it and he just kept saying "boo hoo" sarcastically, because even expensive figures have imperfections. I think the only amiibo I have without major imperfections is Wario, as he has a scratch on his helmet, but if you don't look for it you probably won't see it, and Mega Man, who has a little excess paint on his boots but it's hard to see because of how dark the blue color is.

• Options
      Other than that one glaring spot, I think the squid is the best looking out of the trio. Or at the very least, I love the splash effect with the ink they have going on.

• Options
      Other than that one glaring spot, I think the squid is the best looking out of the trio. Or at the very least, I love the splash effect with the ink they have going on.

Nawwwwww dude

The splash is really cool and there's a nice little fade paint job on the squid, but I think we could all use some Inkling Detail Appreciation while I've got my macro setup out.

Boy Inkling shoe detail
      dxVLcQ5.jpg

Girl Inkling shoe detail (note the Tentatek logo on the sole, which I don't think we can even see in-game)
      UDjRXqR.jpg

Transparent backpack ink tank with ink inside sloshing around and the ink level marked
      Jl2RWNX.jpg

Ink tank top with translucent red cap - you can sort of see here that the top ink tank on the blasters is slightly translucent too, just like IRL supersoakers.
      D2qPsmt.jpg

There's more too, like the blaster nozzles being an actual molded-in hole rather than just a black paint dot and the logo molded onto the blaster tanks. These are really impressive for how cheap they are, which is what makes the squid amiibo a little disappointing.

(700kb or so total, let me know if too huge to post inline)

• Options
      Well, I will say there are two details you missed that I really love on the Inklings. The little ripple bump on the ink they're standing in. And the fact that the container on the blaster is actually translucent if you put it up to the light, like a real plastic water gun would be.

• Options
      edited July 2015
      And the fact that the container on the blaster is actually translucent if you put it up to the light, like a real plastic water gun would be.

Wow you're really testing the quality of these things. Do you also throw them into the fire to see if the black speech of Mordor appear inscribed in fiery letters? :P

RidleySaria on
    • Options
      Heh, I just happened to be holding the boy up, admiring it, and the light caught it. Then I took a flashlight up to it to see how far they went.

I'm just weird like that. :)

This discussion has been closed.