As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I've been reading up on what is inside of an amiibo

Obviously I love the figures, but if I wanted to play with my amiibos in Codename STEAM or something it wouldn't be convenient to have to bring my figures with me everywhere. I am wondering if I can't just make some kind of convenient device with just the chip inside so the figure stays intact...

It'll be hard to bring myself to dismantle these, though. Even if it's just temporary. Might practice with a Mario.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I had Amazon set to alert me when Bowser, Ike, Mega Man and Sonic amiibos went live, but I've been checking anyway because fucking amiibos and today all four of them are finally on there. With no alert in my email.

The latter three only seem to be available from importers for now? Which is weird. I'm not very hopeful that there will be actual options in the days to come, though.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Theres a link in the front post to a site that, so far for me, has been way better at alerts than Amazon. And it checks for multiple sellers, too.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I had Amazon set to alert me when Bowser, Ike, Mega Man and Sonic amiibos went live, but I've been checking anyway because fucking amiibos and today all four of them are finally on there. With no alert in my email.

The latter three only seem to be available from importers for now? Which is weird. I'm not very hopeful that there will be actual options in the days to come, though.

NowInStock didn't alert me either. All of Wave 3 is now gone. Ug.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Do you have NowInStock set to text you or just email?

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I've read that Amazon put the amiibos into their system in a really weird way and that it messes with in-stock alerts. Instead of listing each amiibo as an item, they have one item for amiibo and the different characters are different variations of that item. Like a shirt can be a small, a medium, and a large. An amiibo can be a Mario, a Link, and an Ike.

Then sometime around wave 2 they started to change some of them to separate items, but not all or something. Anyway, nowinstock had a day where all the rare ones were coming in and out of stock every 15 minutes because of whatever Amazon was doing to their listings.

• Options
    I guess that Amazon.uk just got in Wave 4 pre-orders

And then sold out of all of them within the hour

This does not bode well

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I've read that Amazon put the amiibos into their system in a really weird way and that it messes with in-stock alerts. Instead of listing each amiibo as an item, they have one item for amiibo and the different characters are different variations of that item. Like a shirt can be a small, a medium, and a large. An amiibo can be a Mario, a Link, and an Ike.

Then sometime around wave 2 they started to change some of them to separate items, but not all or something. Anyway, nowinstock had a day where all the rare ones were coming in and out of stock every 15 minutes because of whatever Amazon was doing to their listings.

Yeah, it's actually "colors" that Amazon lists them as. So you have the single page of Amiibos and then Color: Bowser.

Maybe if they would get more, they would do separate pages for every one. But that would require Nintendo to treat this like an actual venture. That's why I'm not too fussed. I'd love to have a bunch of Amiibos, but I'm not jumping through all these hoops because Nintendo doesn't know how to fucking do it right or simply refuses to.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    Do you have NowInStock set to text you or just email?
    Yep. My alerts page is lit up like a Christmas tree

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Called my local Toys 'R Us yesterday to see if they actually had a release window for Lucario.

After waiting on the line for 8 minutes, here's what I got:

"We're sorry, we don't have them"
    "Oh, alright. Do you know when you'll be getting them in?"
    "We already sold out of them on Friday"

Yes, they put them on their shelves on Friday, January 30th and sold all of them on the same day. Chances of me actually obtaining a Lucario are looking pretty grim.

Also, I can't even pull up a page for it on their website. Not happy.

• Options
    What really, really confuses me is that when I was into Transformers the basic rule was that Hasbro would almost always release a figure in different colors later on so they could get two uses out of a mold. This helped them make a profit on the cost of the mold.

And here is Nintendo supposedly making next to none of unique figures and not planning of rereleasing them ever.

A transformer figure mold is bound to be far more expensive that an immobile statue, but the basic idea remains. More use of a mold = higher profit from that investment.

In a better situation, we should be in this thread bitching that we wouldn't have bought pink Peach if we'd known fire flower Peach was coming out later. Or wondering if Nintendo decides to do purple Mario or American flag Mario.

I was expecting to be annoyed that Target had exclusive red yoshi or something, not annoyed that they were the sole place to get Rosalina and she's basically gone for good barring a rerelease.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So wait.. a buddy posted a picture of his Amiibos, and included Toon Link on the list. I had preordered that one a month ago from Amazon, but they're showing it shipping in March.

Dafuq?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    I'd love for Nintendo to shape up and realize that the lesser known characters still need some love, and they will still sell. I know that won't happen :(

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    My compulsion to get all the Amiibos continues on unabated.

Wave 1 is complete.
    Wave 2 will be complete soon. (Falcon will be got tomorrow, leaving only Pit.)
    Wave 3 begins in earnest tomorrow.

• Options
    Agh I need to remind myself that no amiibo is worth more than 25$.

I've just got to keep on my toes for wave 4 preorders. The anticipation is killing me.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Agh I need to remind myself that no amiibo is worth more than 25$.

I've just got to keep on my toes for wave 4 preorders. The anticipation is killing me.

So far patience has been my goto strategy. Wave 1 and 2 scalpers have finally started to get Antsy. I'm getting 2 Cpt. Falcons tomorrow, one of which will hopefully turn into a Pit. Also have a lead on a Rosalina that is going locally.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Dang.

Question to the thread:

I have a Gamecube Controller Adapter that, quite frankly, I don't use. I was set to trade it for 2 Captain Falcon Amiibos tomorrow, but have received an email from another party offering me 1 Rosalina & Luma instead.

Which do I go with here? On the one hand I can theoretically turn that second Captain Falcon into another Amiibo (Pit, Sheik, Meta Knight, etc.) but on the other hand my wife actually WANTS a Rosalina Amiibo, it's the only one she actually wants.

On the gripping hand:
    hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    Eh, get Rosalina if it'll make her happy.

Also, it looks like Ace Combat will be the first non-Smash game to use a third-party character amiibo (Pac-Man). I kinda figured that all the guest characters from Smash were going to be exclusive to Smash... pretty crazy. Nintendo is officially producing Capcom, Sega and Namco toys!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    How is the Ace Combat games? The Amiibo support actually makes me want to buy the game. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Wave 1+2: Complete!
    Wave 3: Sorta Complete (Waiting for preorders to come in)
    Wave 4+Super Mario: Waiting for pre orders to open at GameStop.

Mario Party 10 bundle with Mario Amiibo just opened at Gamestop.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Originally wanted: 7 total amiibo (for 8 player smash) to be purchased over the course of this year, preferably when they're on sale or clearance

Current count: 7 amiibo plus 3 on pre-order

• Options
    So from what I read (forget where) Nintendo was really confused as to why people were gobbling up the Super Mario Bros amiibo set, because they aren't going to be that rare

So yeah, the Smash Bros models probably have a way higher cost of production since they use more paint applications and stuff. Hopefully they can make cheaper versions of certain game's characters like with Super Mario? A Legend of Zelda set, a Pokémon set, a Fire Emblem set, etc?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'd be surprised if we didn't get new Amiibo sets with popular games from now on.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Skylanders does the same thing.

But yeah, prepare to never actually see them out in the wild.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    So from what I read (forget where) Nintendo was really confused as to why people were gobbling up the Super Mario Bros amiibo set, because they aren't going to be that rare

So yeah, the Smash Bros models probably have a way higher cost of production since they use more paint applications and stuff. Hopefully they can make cheaper versions of certain game's characters like with Super Mario? A Legend of Zelda set, a Pokémon set, a Fire Emblem set, etc?

I don't like how this Link or Zelda looks, nor I am bothering to hunt for Toon Link. I've really been hoping the next line announced is Zelda.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah considering Link is one of Nintendo's biggest characters, the amiibo for him is incredibly disappointing. Giant urine pillar and all. And if they made a Zelda set, I wonder if they would even have Toon Link in there, considering most games consider their two amiibo to be the same anyway.

Tairu on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Toon Link is amazing tho. It might actually be my favorite amiibo.

I'm sure they will release less derpy Links and Zeldas when Zelda U comes out.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »

I don't like how this Link or Zelda looks, nor I am bothering to hunt for Toon Link. I've really been hoping the next line announced is Zelda.

Zelda Wii U is gonna have amiibo support, I think there's a good chance that they'll make a LoZ line of amiibo.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It'd be great...
    If those were prizes...
    To an amiibo only Smash Tournament...

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    And hopefully by now they kinda get how amiibo should fit into games. Costumes are cool, but it's really more about bringing the character into the game I feel.

In Star Fox theres an easy way to do it, have amiibo give you a little mini-arwing or something that automatically shoots enemies like you would find in most shmups (although custom arwing designs would be cool too)

Not sure about Zelda

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The Internet says Toysrus sale on amiibo Feb 8-14: 3 amiibos for $33.

Supposedly Wave 3b hits on the 13th, but they've also been spotted early in several locations.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Oh god what if the gold/silver Mario are Club Nintendo Platinum awards

• Options
    Oh god what if the gold/silver Mario are Club Nintendo Platinum awards

I don't think so as it would be platinum rather than silver.

I hope whatever it is, I can get one without paying insane eBay prices. Like, sell them somewhere or do something I can actually participate in.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    -Abel--Abel- Registered User regular
    I'm a little sad I own the Smash Bros Link amiibo. For some reason I hadn't thought there would be a new one for Zelda U.

I'm also amazed that Nintendo apparently is making a ton of the Mario Series with Toad being the least made one. That makes absolutely no sense as all the other Amiibos in that series already have a version of them out.

I think they're phasing out the Smash ones so fast because they aren't making them much money. The Mario ones are clearly a bit cheaper to make (between the detail and poses).

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I think we can just refer to the gold and silver Mario as eBay exclusives.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    -Abel- wrote: »
    I'm a little sad I own the Smash Bros Link amiibo. For some reason I hadn't thought there would be a new one for Zelda U.

I'm also amazed that Nintendo apparently is making a ton of the Mario Series with Toad being the least made one. That makes absolutely no sense as all the other Amiibos in that series already have a version of them out.

I think they're phasing out the Smash ones so fast because they aren't making them much money. The Mario ones are clearly a bit cheaper to make (between the detail and poses).

It's a branding thing. They don't want the smash bros ones around forever since that game will be old news at some point. But Mario is their main franchise so they need a set of generic amiibos to cover all the sports / party games. They probably aren't making anymore of the Smash Mario ones and are just replacing them gradually with these, hence the big supply.

Toad is probably rarer since he's not as popular a character - they are thinking in terms of *actual* consumers who only buy a couple they like, and not collectors. Either way, I suspect his rarity will be more like Fox / Samus. Not as common as Mario, etc, but still pretty common.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    o37Xj9L.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    PSA if you ordered any Amiibos on Amazon that say they are shipping in March:

* Click "Change shipping speed"
    * Select the same speed
    * Click "Confirm"

Enjoy:
    9r3mfm56nngk.gif

(Also I just got my Lucario from my TRU online order today. Yay... box was kind of shit - plastic part was barely attached and coming off - but I open them anyways so "meh" - the figure is fine and that's all I care about)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I have a Best Buy preorder from long ago that worries me. No update in over 2 months. It has my ike , DDD, meta knight , etc. Anyone hear anything?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    This discussion has been closed.