As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Chuck..
    Chuck conned Jimmy. Neat. I think the temporary emergency guardianship comes back next season. They brought it up for a second time when Chuck got home. I don't expect we are done with it.

Mike...
    So the "Don't" is pretty clearly from Fring based on the episode titles thing. Was Gus stalking Mike? Or does he have a guy?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Could Jimmy turn it around:
    and claim some sort of fraud perpetrated by Chuck? I recall that in season 1, Jimmy underwent some financial hardship to sustain his brother's lifestyle. That was part of the reason he tried to get Howard to cash out his brother's share of the firm.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'm actually finding the finale tough to buy.

Jimmys smarter than that.

I think there is a decent foreshadowing of Jimmy confessing with the timing of
    his commercial as he is in the hospital waiting to hear about his brothers condition.

You can tell he fells really guilty because everything said in it about him seems like a lie to Jimmy himself given his present situation and how he got there.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'm actually finding the finale tough to buy.

Jimmys smarter than that.
    Jimmy has a blind spot for Chuck.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Also, guilt. What jimmy did is pretty fucked up. He was gas-lighting a mentally ill man, which ended up putting him in the hospital. Thats the kind of perfect guilt storm that makes people want to confess their crimes.

The way Odenkirk plays it when he's done confessing he's practically relieved its out there.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Finale Cold Open:
    Not conveying their mother's final words...Fuck Chuck.
    All because he's a jealous, worthless piece of shit. Fuck Chuck with all the energy of a million atomic bombs

I could be wrong, but if Chuck had wanted to hurt Jimmy, conveying those words would have been infinitely better at doing it than keeping them bottled up.
    "Yeah Jimmy, she woke up. She called for you, but you weren't here. So, how's that sandwich, Jimmy? Pretty good? I hope it was worth it.

But, I'm guessing this was less about Chuck wanting to keep Jimmy down and more about presenting a strong face to the world.
    Chuck knew he wouldn't be able to talk about it without breaking down, so he didn't. Much like when the nurse walked in and he just went totally stone faced so he didn't appear weak.
    Jeedan wrote: »
    At the same time though, there's no easy way to say "her last words were to call for you (but you'd just left )". Telling the truth would have fucked with Jimmy more than lying.
    I didn't interpret it as jealousy, just another of Jimmys burdens Chuck feels he has to shoulder
    Also, this.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Would Chuck's recording be admissible as evidence given that Jimmy wasn't informed that the conversation was being recorded, or is that just a TV show thing I've "learned" about recording people?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Rius wrote: »
    Would Chuck's recording be admissible as evidence given that Jimmy wasn't informed that the conversation was being recorded, or is that just a TV show thing I've "learned" about recording people?
    Depends on the state, I believe. One party consent vs. two party consent.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Depends on the state laws. In Colorado it's legal to record a conversation provided one of the parties knows their being recorded, don't know what the laws are for New Mexico though.

Found this:
    And a state appellate court held that the transmittal of the contents of a face-to-face conversation recorded through a device concealed on one of the participants to the conversation was not the type of eavesdropping activity criminalized by the state wiretap statute. New Mexico v. Hogervorst, 566 P.2d 828

Don't know if that's what we're looking for or not though. I don't speak lawyer.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Depends on the state, I believe. One party consent vs. two party consent.
    Yeah, only a handful of states are two-party consent, and New Mexico isn't one of them.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Motivations:
    I think Chuck not telling Jimmy about their moms' last words was at least partly about his jealousy. Chuck hates that everyone likes Jimmy more, when Chuck knows the "truth" that Jimmy is nothing but a selfish fraud. Hiding the truth here is about not having to admit that it loud.

I think Jimmy, meanwhile, was kind of happy to reveal his scheme because, in addition to feeling guilty about it, he feels proud that he went up against Chuck and won. It was a battle of methods, Jimmy's duplicity versus Chuck's dogged use of proper, ethical methods. And Jimmy came out on top. The only reason Chuck is finding out is because Jimmy told him, and he feels pride at that.

There are a lot of more noble motivations for Jimmy coming clean, of course, but you can see Jimmy's glee at having pulled this off as he's talking.

And, of course, we now have Chuck coming out on top, at least for now. But he only did so by being as unethical as Jimmy. And he knows that, and so will Jimmy. Which will further drive Jimmy's smug pride, and it will further drive Chuck's self-loathing and persecution complex.

And it'll be a fucking blast to watch.

I love this show so much you guys.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Depends on the state laws. In Colorado it's legal to record a conversation provided one of the parties knows their being recorded, don't know what the laws are for New Mexico though.

Found this:
    And a state appellate court held that the transmittal of the contents of a face-to-face conversation recorded through a device concealed on one of the participants to the conversation was not the type of eavesdropping activity criminalized by the state wiretap statute. New Mexico v. Hogervorst, 566 P.2d 828

Don't know if that's what we're looking for or not though. I don't speak lawyer.
    And even if it was considered criminal, that doesn't mean it can't be admitted into court. The Fourth Amendment doesn't generally apply to non-government entities acting on their own initiative.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Even if that was admissible, the easy defense is "I was trying to make my obviously bugfuck brother feel better." Then it hinges on getting corroboration from a third party.

Which is a crap shoot, since everyone fucking hates Chuck. Point being, that isn't much better than no evidence at all.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Even if that was admissible, the easy defense is "I was trying to make my obviously bugfuck brother feel better." Then it hinges on getting corroboration from a third party.

Which is a crap shoot, since everyone fucking hates Chuck. Point being, that isn't much better than no evidence at all.
    Yeah, certainly. But it's enough to get the police looking into it.

How long before the attendant at the copy shop breaks?

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Sure, everyone hates Chuck, but put them under oath and I don't think a single person who knows him would be able to say "Oh no! That doesn't sound at all like Jimmy, can't imagine him doing that".
    And Jimmy's got a pretty respectable group of people between the two law firms he's worked for who dislike him. I'd bet they'd be more than happy to line up and crucify him by implication if that tape came to light.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I really liked Ernesto lying to help Jimmy even without really knowing the full extent of what was going on just out of loyalty because Jimmy has always been so nice to him
    Always liked Jimmy bothering to learn the names of/friendly-ly greet all the menial staff everywhere

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Welp, that finale.

This season's more about The Ballad of Slippin' Charlie if you ask me.

!
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    Did Chuck fake the catatonic state to help set up the tape recorder ruse? If so, that's a pretty dangerous game. What if Jimmy hadn't lifted the temporary emergency guardianship? Chuck must have pretty strong faith that Jimmy will remain loyal to him... making Chuck's deception that much worse.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Hirocon wrote: »
    Did Chuck fake the catatonic state to help set up the tape recorder ruse? If so, that's a pretty dangerous game. What if Jimmy hadn't lifted the temporary emergency guardianship? Chuck must have pretty strong faith that Jimmy will remain loyal to him... making Chuck's deception that much worse.
    I suspect the catatonic state was real to Chuck. Notice how when Jimmy brought him back home he threw off the space blanket to give the impression that he was fine. Once Jimmy left, he immediately put it back on.

!
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    How common of a name is Mesa Verde?

I know its the name of the Better Call Saul bank, but it was also the construction firm cover for the corrupt cop in Lethal Weapon 3, off the top of my head.

"Green Elevated Plains"

Mesa's are sorta more than just elevated flat land but it's close
    Hirocon wrote: »

Chuck 100% believes his condition and I wouldn't assume any of his actions with regards to it are part of a plan.

Also, I thought Chuck was misguided and a jerk but wasn't fully on Team Fuck Chuck before this but now sign me right up.

Mike:
    Finally runs into somebody who is better at planning than him.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    With all the focus on Jimmy and Chuck, I think we should also take a minute to recognize the guy that plays Hamlin.

Because that motherfucker is good, and it comes so naturally to him that it honestly feels like I'm watching a real person when hes on screen.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So I guess it's been confirmed by Gilligan that: Spoiler for next season
    Gus will be in season 3! Woo! I'm assuming it was probably someone who works for Gus who set off Mike's car horn then. Maybe he took notice of Mike trying to fuck with his hated enemy. Maybe Nacho works for Gus? He seemed nervous during that whole thing, and it was pretty convenient that he just happened to stand in such a spot to block Mike's view of Hector.

I guess there was a fan theory that Gus would show up in season 3 because you can some how get "Gus is back" or something from the episode titles, and since the fans figured it out, Vince went ahead and confirmed it.

This show is way better than I thought it would ever be. I had high hopes, but I didn't think it would be this good. It's not quite Breaking Bad, but it's still fantastic. I'm out of shows to watch now though... :( Got a million years before the good Walking Dead starts back up, and a million and a half years for Better Call Saul to return...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    If that's true, that's the kind of character you can write for that makes you completely forget who this spinoff series is actually supposed to be about as you make episode after episode about them.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well, Vince also said
    Just because Gus is going to join season 3, don't expect him in every episode. Gus is very careful and keeps himself hidden and low key. I expect they probably reveal him in the final couple episodes of the season.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I've started to enjoy catching the little slightly out of place objects that pop up in the background of Better Call Saul. I'm talking about objects that don't quite fit the time period the show is supposed to take part in. The props team has been pretty good at keeping everything consistent, but so far I've noticed a couple things.
    1. Widescreen LCD monitors in use at Davis and Main. If people were using LCD panels in 2002, they were 4:3 ratio. Widescreen didn't start becoming a thing until a few years later.
    2. As they were wheeling Chuck down the hall at the hospital, and he was "hearing" buzzing as he passed each fluorescent light, I noticed a couple new HP WiFi access points on the ceiling. I can't remember how prevalent WiFi was in commercial spaces (or hospitals), but it really wasn't in the residential space.

I'm not anal enough to really pick apart these, and it doesn't really take me out of the show, but it's still fun to spot these things.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    The TV show playing in the background...
    while Jimmy waits at the hospital.

Diagnosis: Murder.

Maybe a little symbology about what Jimmy feels he's done to his brother.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

That was just the show he chose for his ad slot in the previous episode to attract old people.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular

That was just the show he chose for his ad slot in the previous episode to attract old people.
    Wouldn't mean it's not symbolic. Jimmy didn't pick it to be representative of how he feels, the writers did.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Well they wanted to have his commercial air so of course he would want studios to air it during that show. It's his target audience.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Fun fact: Bryan Cranston guest starred in an episode of Diagnosis Murder. As a homeless man named "Walter".

I really love this show. Just burned through the whole second season over the last few days.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I bought the second season.

Is Saul lawyer batman?

• Options
    I WILL MURDER CHUCK MCGILL WITH MY OWN HANDS

• Options
    This could be the reaction someone has to literally almost any episode in season two.

• Options
    Up to episode 9. Jimmy was 100% in the wrong creating those forgeries and yet Chuck still managed to make me hate him more.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    I don't think it's healthy to ingest an entire season 2's worth of chuck-hate in one day, Quid.

• Options
    Then good news!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What's the theme song called with the plucking banjo? Usually plays during promos for upcoming episodes.

• Options
    And I'm done.

God dammit Jimmy. That had trap written all over it.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Jimmy really does have a soft spot for Chuck. The poor, poor bastard.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Best drama nomination, Odenkirk and Banks nominated in lead and supporting actor. No Rhea Seehorn nomination because GoT took half the slots, which is a bummer for the non-Maisie Williams nominations.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.