As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arrow] Team Arrow Appreciation Thread

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I'm not sure I get ra's motivations
    for wanting to recruit oliver:

Oh look I killed him once and he fell into my obvious trap. But he didn't bang Sarah so he's good enough to be the new me.

Wait a moment...

Greeper on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I believe he did say during the duel that Oliver had given him more challenge than anyone in a century?

Plus Oliver has a strong sense of justice, will kill but not unnecessarily, and can keep a secret.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Greeper wrote: »

Oh look I killed him once and he fell into my obvious trap. But he didn't bang Sarah so he's good enough to be the new me.

Wait a moment...

Listen, Ra's originally
    wanted Batman to take over the League for him, but the Warner guys wouldn't let him. He's already sent out all the invites for the leadership change party and paid for the non-refundable "Congratulations Detective!" cake. Ollie is the best Batman-alternative he could come up with on short notice.

Dracomicron on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »

Wait a moment...

Because Oliver showed tremendous determination simply for showing up for a rematch at all, especially when he had nothing personal to gain from that.

The dude died. He should have been traumatized by the event. But instead he comes back for more.

In contrast: Laurel.

That's not bravery at all. That's just her being delusional and stupid.

Laurel gets beaten down by regular thugs, and she decides to challenge a guy who even Oliver struggles with.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    In contrast contrast: Laurel realized that and brought a gun. She wins the show.

Well, almost. Pull the damn trigger next time!

Xeddicus wrote: »
    In contrast contrast: Laurel realized that and brought a gun. She wins the show.

Well, almost. Pull the damn trigger next time!

Thea actually did pull the trigger. Didn't help.

And even without a vest, Malcolm doesn't have much reason to be scared of Laurel.

The guy isn't bullet proof... other than Plot Armor.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The guy isn't bullet proof... other than Plot Armor.

Merlyn was going easy on her. If he didn't hold back she would have died before taking the gun out.

edited March 2015
    That was the Plot Armor in action. It stops bullets/death from arrows/people recalling they have a gun for awhile.

Xeddicus on
    So just out of curiosity, did comic book Arrow focus on white collar criminals, or was that simply an invention of the show?

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So just out of curiosity, did comic book Arrow focus on white collar criminals, or was that simply an invention of the show?

More an invention of the show kinda. Ollie was one of the heroes that went political early and like a lot of comic book writers he had fairly left wing politics. There is a ionic series that is him and Hal Jordan going across country and him basically pointing out what a dick Hal and his more conservative politics were. He's got his share of white collar criminals but it wasn't a focus as much as the politics were.

Thomamelas wrote: »

More an invention of the show kinda. Ollie was one of the heroes that went political early and like a lot of comic book writers he had fairly left wing politics. There is a ionic series that is him and Hal Jordan going across country and him basically pointing out what a dick Hal and his more conservative politics were. He's got his share of white collar criminals but it wasn't a focus as much as the politics were.

Name of the series, please.

edited March 2015

It's true. Ollie's famous at DC at being a flaming liberal. They toned that down for the show, that may be why it's implied with his beef with corrupt industrialists in season 1.

Green_lantern_76.JPG

Harry Dresden on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Hard-Traveling Heroes is the arc and it's in the Green Arrow/Green Lantern comic. Issue 76 is the start if I remember correctly. It's been collected a lot of times.

So you're saying that he probably voted for Nader?

Also, the reason I asked is because I was wondering if the show direction was in direct response to OWS.

It's true. Ollie's famous at DC at being a flaming liberal. They toned that down for the show, that may be why it's implied with his beef with corrupt industrialists in season 1.

Green_lantern_76.JPG

Part of it is that one of the deep influences for the show is The Longbow Hunters which has a fairly libertarian Ollie. And I suspect that muddled the politics a bit as well.

So you're saying that he probably voted for Nader?

Also, the reason I asked is because I was wondering if the show direction was in direct response to OWS.

Yes. And I'm guessing it has more to do with The Longbow Hunters then OWS.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Hard-Traveling Heroes is the arc and it's in the Green Arrow/Green Lantern comic. Issue 76 is the start if I remember correctly. It's been collected a lot of times.
    It's also big because when Oliver was done showing Hal how conservative he was and came back to Star City, Roy was neck deep in abandonment issues and a heroin addiction. Ollie punched Roy in the face and kicked him out on the street.

Oliver Queen: Never not a huge dick.

sig.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Here's the thing about making spin off shows: I will watch anything with Caity Lotz kicking ass in it.

Sorce wrote: »

It's also big because when Oliver was done showing Hal how conservative he was and came back to Star City, Roy was neck deep in abandonment issues and a heroin addiction. Ollie punched Roy in the face and kicked him out on the street.

Oliver Queen: Never not a huge dick.

Ollie being a huge dick is the one thing that has always been consistent across all of his versions.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Part of it is that one of the deep influences for the show is The Longbow Hunters which has a fairly libertarian Ollie. And I suspect that muddled the politics a bit as well.

I don't recall the libertarianness from long bow hunters, but there was an overall cocaine plot run by the US government post ww2. So it had that corruption of those in power angle that season 1 had.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2015
    Harry Dresden on
    Oh not the Iron Lance!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Better quality trailer (Do not watch if you don't want to see Arrow spoilers!)

EDIT: Can't seem to get it to work, a moment...

EDIT2: Even the sharelink youtube gives isn't working, oh well, here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-Dhppltos

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yeah youtube links with non-alphanumeric characters in the view code (v=XXXXXXXX) are broken right now. Icy is aware, iirc. He's probably working on a fix

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Not related to the trailer, or anything else, but I just wanted to ask:
    Is Captain Boomerang ever going to appear again?
    If he does, will the episode be called 'Return of the Boomerang'?
    And if not, why the hell not?.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    klemming wrote: »
    Pretty sure Boomerang is going to be part of the next Suicide Squad appearance.

Phillishere on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Well, we now know where Merlyn gets his unique motivational skills from...

steam_sig.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Had one of those great epiphanies at the end.
    "This is how the story begins."

Because Ra's is writing the goddamn story.

Well both character made sense. And yeah Sun I completely agree.

I also think Felicities glasses must be made out of onions woman cries at the drop of a hat.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    So do we ever see the League actually making money?

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Ra's al Ghul put a couple of bucks in a bank account 600 years ago and the League is living off of its interest.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Ra's al Ghul put a couple of bucks in a bank account 600 years ago and the League is living off of its interest.

He totally bought Coca-Cola when it was just 2 cents a share.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

It'ill be a 2 parter
    ep A) What goes around
    ep B) Comes around

steam_sig.png
    Fitness tapes. I mean good lord look at the league of shadows dudes, might as well be called the league of abs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Man the one scene with Ray and Felicity was such a drag. Its like "Get back to people with actual plot lines I like." Especially with once again hyper competent felicity doing something Ray couldn't. Basically Felicity should be the atom.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    No, that's a terrible idea. If somebody should get punched in the face by bad guys its Ray. Felicity is much to important to do that kind of thing.

Its why Laurel is the new Black Canary.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    I'm actually excited for the Laurel/Nyssa pairing if only for the obvious joke we'll get later from Oliver "You have trained". But also because both of the characters could use a friend not connected to their regular lives.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm actually excited for the Laurel/Nyssa pairing if only for the obvious joke we'll get later from Oliver "You have trained". But also because both of the characters could use a friend not connected to their regular lives.

I was happier with Thea/Nyssa. Mostly because Laurel is still kinda terrible.

Actually it should be Thea/Nyssa and Malcolm/Laurel. I could see those working.