As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arrow] Team Arrow Appreciation Thread

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Oh come on preview types.

Huge Spoiler
    Seems they spoiled that it's Earth 2 Laurel in the preview for the next episode. I guess she escaped from whatever happened to her last season in the Flash when she was Zoom's lackey.

I said this was going to happen,
    before i even knew there was an Earth 2 Black Canary.

That's how you bring her back and as a real meta to boot. But we'll see whether this sticks or is just a 1-episode-wonder.
    Wouldn't bother me at all really, then again I didn't hate Laurel as much as everyone else towards the end.

@Preacher Can you spoiler that please? Sort of pointless to have it spoiled in the first two posts if your going to reveal the lead-in.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Last night's episode...
    I don't think this first part deserves a spoiler tag but better safe than sorry...

Did anyone feel like they tried to shove way, way too much into that episode? Some of the scenes seemed cut oddly and kind of... Disjointed.

Also I really do hope this General Traitor/Diggle story ties into the rest of the plot by the end because I'm starting to wonder why it's here at all.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The stupid time-travel explanations on these shows are really starting to get to me.
    "Oh, Sara teleported me away."
    "I was there, and no she didn't."
    "That's because she hasn't done it yet."
    FFS, it doesn't matter when she was is will be going to do it, it will have been done in the past, so he'd have seen it.
    I was actually relieved when they admitted that was BS, but I'm sure they'll actually use that explanation at some point.
    I've never seen a work be so inconsistent about time travel as the Arrowverse.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Episode was fine.
    I did like Black Siren alternating between "I'm totally good deep down" and "Time to die, fuckers!". It would have been even better if she'd mentioned Oliver's Dad was GA on Earth-2.

Kind of underwhelmed with the "Here's the next Black Canary" cameo at the end though. I guess the collar will never see the light of day again.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, it was, but:
    Not looking forward to Not Laurel showing back up and Oliver wasting time on her.

Use whatever handwave you want show, bring her back or let her go.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Okay, so....
    I kinda like her, actually. I hope she keeps giving him shit. But please, please, no new love interest.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, she grew on me.
    But if she's gonna be the new Black Canary - right down to being named Dinah Drake! - she is absolutely gonna be the new love interest.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yeah, she grew on me.
    But if she's gonna be the new Black Canary - right down to being named Dinah Drake! - she is absolutely gonna be the new love interest.
    The twist is she will be the new love interest of Quentin (or Sara) so she does eventually assume the name Dinah Lance...*flees for safety*

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Oh man, I didn't recognize her in the prior episode's sting, but I hope Lexa Doig sticks around. She's delightful.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    New Theory~!
    Prometheus is clearly being manipulated by Talia (if not Talia herself) so that she can teach Oliver one last lesson about him and his monster.

I'm still kind of interested in Talia's why though. Sure, she wants to help Oliver become who he's supposed to be, but why does she care in the first place?

sig.gif
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    New Theory~!
    Prometheus is clearly being manipulated by Talia (if not Talia herself) so that she can teach Oliver one last lesson about him and his monster.

I'm still kind of interested in Talia's why though. Sure, she wants to help Oliver become who he's supposed to be, but why does she care in the first place?

Daddy issues. Its the arrow verses like one universal constant.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Not impressed with the new Canary, though she is a lot better than I thought she was going to be based off her original stinger which was awful trash. Lose that we're getting Talia now though.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Felicity
    Anyone else think that Felicity's Hackivist code name was originally in Japanese? I mean, a goth girl that calls herself Yokai Kitsune-sama seems like it would be completely in-character for Felicity. She even probably had a shitty Tumblr or something. :P

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Felicity
    Anyone else think that Felicity's Hackivist code name was originally in Japanese? I mean, a goth girl that calls herself Yokai Kitsune-sama seems like it would be completely in-character for Felicity. She even probably had a shitty Tumblr or something. :P
    Though, minor quibble:
    Yokai Kitsune-sama's Tumblr would be fuckin' rad.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The scene when Felicity meets the other hacktivist was hilarious. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Question on the episode before the last.

Like, what the heck was the point of the "don't kill him!" scene?

There was a slew of bodies strewn about behind them of people they had just shot, Oliver literally just BLEW UP a fucking helicopter and then getting to the actual big bad Oliver was suddenly like "wait no! don't kill him that's bad!!!!!!"

Did I miss something there?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

There was a slew of bodies strewn about behind them of people they had just shot, Oliver literally just BLEW UP a fucking helicopter and then getting to the actual big bad Oliver was suddenly like "wait no! don't kill him that's bad!!!!!!"

Team Arrow are really bad at seeing they're terrible at not killing people?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    All those people were shot in the shoulder. Yes, even that one. Also those guys in the helicopter..

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

1. Killing in combat is different then executing someone; presumably it changes you.
    2. Oliver kills people, but he feels like he should be the tainted one, and that his friends are better than him and shouldn't kill.
    3. He doesn't think that it will make Dinah feel any better, because of revenge tropes.
    4. THE CW. If nobody is clutching any pearls over someone else "crossing the line," then the Amnesiac CW Executive Chihuahua gets nervous. Also problems to the chihuahua: People not keeping secrets from their loved ones, and attractive young men wearing shirts.

• Options
    All those people were shot in the shoulder. Yes, even that one. Also those guys in the helicopter..

Pretty sure being shot in the shoulder can be lethal, or at least mean they lose an arm. Team Arrow sure aren't calling the ambulance when they leave crime scenes.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

1. Killing in combat is different then executing someone; presumably it changes you.
    2. Oliver kills people, but he feels like he should be the tainted one, and that his friends are better than him and shouldn't kill.
    3. He doesn't think that it will make Dinah feel any better, because of revenge tropes.
    4. THE CW. If nobody is clutching any pearls over someone else "crossing the line," then the Amnesiac CW Executive Chihuahua gets nervous. Also problems to the chihuahua: People not keeping secrets from their loved ones, and attractive young men wearing shirts.

I accept these bullet points.

Thank you.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Pretty sure being shot in the shoulder can be lethal, or at least mean they lose an arm. Team Arrow sure aren't calling the ambulance when they leave crime scenes.

In superhero TV, being shot in the shoulder is just a step above an overly firm handshake in the potential damage done, so it's okay.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    3958340-screen+shot+2014-07-13+at+1.56.58+pm.png

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I accept these bullet points.

Thank you.

Also, to be fair, they did kind of subvert the "What would your loved one want?" plea for mercy right after.

Oh and:

Pretty much the only place you can be shot and probably be 100% (or close) 'OK' (take an act of God to kill you) every time is the toes and or fingers. And then probably just 1 at a time.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    I have to give the writers credit I find myself caring a lot about Wild Dog, and I am actually looking forward to his origin story this week. He could have been handled very badly and to their credit they've developed a nuanced character fairly well.

I also find myself actually caring about the majority of the large cast and their various plots which again is shocking because in past seasons I didn't really care about the not Olivers doing not Oliver stuff. But they have really upped their game in that regard, to the point where you could have episodes without Ollie and it wouldn't bother me all that much.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    ..not fucking around with the TV-14 warning this week.

Edit: So like one part A Very Special Arrow with some good stuff and then trying to declare both sides right and totally dodging what they propose to do about it.

jdarksun on
  • Options

Edit: So like one part A Very Special Arrow with some good stuff and then trying to declare both sides right and totally dodging what they propose to do about it.

Honestly, suggesting that both sides come together and draft legislation based on what they CAN agree on is actually controversial. The NRA prevents any legislation at all, not even on the things that pro-gun people also want, because of the "slippery slope."

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I don't really even think it was opposite sides here.
    I mean, it was a deal struck between Oliver and Rene. Sure, the councilwoman approved it, but like she said, it'd be career suicide to come out against something like this right after the tragedy.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I mean, it was a deal struck between Oliver and Rene. Sure, the councilwoman approved it, but like she said, it'd be career suicide to come out against something like this right after the tragedy.

If only that were true in real life.
    We've now had dozens of tragedies worse than the Star City Hall massacre, and still nothing, nobody's career suicided.

• Options

Honestly, suggesting that both sides come together and draft legislation based on what they CAN agree on is actually controversial. The NRA prevents any legislation at all, not even on the things that pro-gun people also want, because of the "slippery slope."
    In the real world? Sure. But in the Arrowverse?

Tackling fucked up societal problems is sort of a hallmark of the Green Arrow comics, at least historically, and taking steps towards that is great. But the ending fell totally flat for me because of the punting. What's the compromise? What are they suggesting will help the rampant gun violence in the Glades?

Let me see if I can find the clip.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I have to give the writers credit I find myself caring a lot about Wild Dog, and I am actually looking forward to his origin story this week. He could have been handled very badly and to their credit they've developed a nuanced character fairly well.

I also find myself actually caring about the majority of the large cast and their various plots which again is shocking because in past seasons I didn't really care about the not Olivers doing not Oliver stuff. But they have really upped their game in that regard, to the point where you could have episodes without Ollie and it wouldn't bother me all that much.

Aside from Ragman, he never worked for me.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

If only that were true in real life.
    We've now had dozens of tragedies worse than the Star City Hall massacre, and still nothing, nobody's career suicided.
    At least locally here, it sort of was.
    Local Congressman was noted to have recieved a donation from the NRA a few days after the Pulse shooting, his opponent used that in the 2016 elections and won.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I liked the Mad Dog origin story way more than I would have expected to as I hadn't been a fan of him up until this point.

That aside though I really hated this "a very special Arrow" episode. I don't need heavy politics in my comic based dramas.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

I enjoyed that Ragman's origin story and his exit thing were the exact same thing.

"These inert rags came to life to protect me from a nuclear explosion."
    "A nuclear explosion drained my rags of all their power."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I enjoyed that Ragman's origin story and his exit thing were the exact same thing.

"These inert rags came to life to protect me from a nuclear explosion."
    "A nuclear explosion drained my rags of all their power."
    Zathras wrote:
    At least there is symmetry.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I liked the Mad Dog origin story way more than I would have expected to as I hadn't been a fan of him up until this point.

That aside though I really hated this "a very special Arrow" episode. I don't need heavy politics in my comic based dramas.

Wasn't that the point of the episode though? That we have become so adverse to seeing politics we don't even want to talk about them when we should.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Wasn't that the point of the episode though? That we have become so adverse to seeing politics we don't even want to talk about them when we should.

That doesn't mean a comic book show for entertainment is where we should. If it was, the whole episode wouldn't have felt so heavy handed and forced.

• Options

That doesn't mean a comic book show for entertainment is where we should. If it was, the whole episode wouldn't have felt so heavy handed and forced.

Other way around. The argument, nationally, has become so entrenched that there most consider there to be NO good time to talk about it, ever. After a tragedy: "too soon." Between tragedies: "What's the urgency?"

Comics have taken on plenty of other controversial social issues: Supergirl took on immigration and homosexuality just this season, for example. It's just that guns are such a third rail in the U.S. that there is no civil discourse on the matter.

And it's going to stay that way until we have enough Very Special Episodes for the debate to become normalized.

• Options
    I think the difference might be Supergirl handled those topics well. I didn't feel like I was being preached to like I did this episode. I'm not even a gun rights person. I'd happily accept common since gun reform.

• Options

...Green Arrow was like the political commentary comic. It tackled stuff like drug abuse and male rape. Arrow is the perfect place for tackling politics.

Also, all media is inherently political.