As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel MCU] Age of Assembling at the new thread cause this one retired!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    SHIELD S1 is waaaay better when you can binge watch it. Like, a ton better.

Yup. Thanks to work I always had a few episodes to watch in a row which really helped things move along until Winter Soldier happened.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    it's also important to note that the one shots are not as good as some people make them out to be, apart from the agent carter one.

....this is an impressive amount of wrong in a single post.

They aren't meant to be much but A Funny Thing... and The Consultant were both very well done and excellent little vignettes that built up Coulson from the rough sketch of a character we had from his previous appearances.

oh dont get me wrong, they are nowhere near the trash that most of agents of shield is but they are still pretty bad. marvel tv have serious problems with quality, in fact i'm convinced that the only reason season 2 of shield has been good so far is because they were busy making sure daredevil is terrible, but we'll see.

What is the basis of this opinion?

history. observation. everything done by marvel tv apart from the first half of season 2 of shield is just awful, awful shit, these are true provable facts. agent carter doesn't count because that is made by marvel movies people hence why it was pretty good,

AoS first season's second half was great, especially post-Winter Soldier. The first half wasn't any worse than regular first seasons as first seasons tend to be bad since the crew is ironing out the kinks of production. Shows like Flash are the exception with good first seasons. This isn't about facts, it's an opinion.

Agent Carter was a tv show, deal. It doesn't matter who made it. Daredevil was produced and written were written by Drew Goddard, who directed Cabin in the Woods - it counts too. Joss Whedon directed the pilot, wrote episodes and was involved in creating AoS. Marvel are smart to hire people from the movie business for their tv series, which is a practice they did from the start - not with Agent Carter.
    but hey, maybe they'll prove us wrong and daredevil isn't as bad as all the trailers are making out.

You're the first person I've seen who didn't like the trailer.

Harry Dresden on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Deaderinred was warned for this.
    carter was made by russos, fiege and the like, tv department lot didn't have a hand in it at all.

i do love it when i hear "oh it gets good 12 hours in!" like you're suppose to accept that loss of 12 hours of your life because you hear it gets better BUT YOU HAVE TO WATCH EVERY EPISODE YOU GOTTA. TWD is the best though "oh its good 49 hours in! give a chance!"

anyway, this is a dumb topic that won't get off the roundabout.

ElJeffe on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    it's also important to note that the one shots are not as good as some people make them out to be, apart from the agent carter one.

....this is an impressive amount of wrong in a single post.

They aren't meant to be much but A Funny Thing... and The Consultant were both very well done and excellent little vignettes that built up Coulson from the rough sketch of a character we had from his previous appearances.

oh dont get me wrong, they are nowhere near the trash that most of agents of shield is but they are still pretty bad. marvel tv have serious problems with quality, in fact i'm convinced that the only reason season 2 of shield has been good so far is because they were busy making sure daredevil is terrible, but we'll see.

What is the basis of this opinion?

history. observation. everything done by marvel tv apart from the first half of season 2 of shield is just awful, awful shit, these are true provable facts. agent carter doesn't count because that is made by marvel movies people hence why it was pretty good,

AoS first season's second half was great, especially post-Winter Soldier. The first half wasn't any worse than regular first seasons as first seasons tend to be bad since the crew is ironing out the kinks of production. Shows like Flash are the exception with good first seasons. This isn't about facts, it's an opinion.

Disagree completely. There's tons of shows with way better first seasons. Even shows that were still ironing out the kinks at the time.

Any other show I can think of that had a start like AoS's just never got good anyway.

shryke on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    carter was made by russos, fiege and the like, tv department lot didn't have a hand in it at all.

i do love it when i hear "oh it gets good 12 hours in!" like you're suppose to accept that loss of 12 hours of your life because you hear it gets better BUT YOU HAVE TO WATCH EVERY EPISODE YOU GOTTA. TWD is the best though "oh its good 49 hours in! give a chance!"

The thing is, those 12 hours (and it's not 12 hours, it's 9 hours because American broadcast dramas are 44 minutes long) aren't disposable, they just don't form anything engaging and cohesive until later in the season when you begin to see how all of it ties together. This show throws no plot away, but they have a lot of balls in the air to juggle until shit get real (so to speak), and it's at that point when all the pieces click into place.

Gnashing your teeth against that is a lot like looking at box of puzzle pieces and saying, "Well this is just an impossible mess, I give up."

edited March 2015

The show was created by Markus and McFeely, who wrote the Cap movies. The show runners are Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas - who came from a tv background, not the movies. Fiege runs the entire company, he's not managing tv shows as a consultant, that's what Whedon did for Phase 2. The Russos aren't involved. AoS was directly involved with Joss Whedon, who directed Avengers. While he wasn't the show runner he had a presence there as a consultant, help create it from the ground up (like Dollhouse) directed the pilot and wrote episodes. It's disingenuous to call Agent Carter a movie production and not AoS, or Daredevil. The tv show falls under Loeb's authority, since that's the division they're in. Every MCU tv show so far has started with people from movie experience.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/25/marvels-agent-carter-showrunners-discuss-the-season-finale-the-big-surprise-cameo-and-more

That's tv for you.

Harry Dresden on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

The show was created by Markus and McFeely, who wrote the Cap movies. The show runners are Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas - who came from a tv background, not the movies. Fiege runs the entire company, he's not managing tv shows as a consultant, that's what Whedon did for Phase 2. The Russos aren't involved. AoS was directly involved with Joss Whedon, who directed Avengers. While he wasn't the show runner he had a presence there as a consultant, help create it from the ground up (like Dollhouse) directed the pilot and wrote episodes. It's disingenuous to call Agent Carter a movie production and not AoS, or Daredevil. The tv show falls under Loeb's authority, since that's the division they're in.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/25/marvels-agent-carter-showrunners-discuss-the-season-finale-the-big-surprise-cameo-and-more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Carter_(TV_series)#Development

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agents_of_S.H.I.E.L.D.#Development

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Feige#Television

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843866/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ql_1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3475734/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ql_1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2364582/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ql_1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3322312/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ql_1

come on man, this shit is simple.

Deaderinred on
    edited March 2015
    A potential Agent Carter series was initially brought up in July 2013 by Louis D'Esposito, after the screening of the Agent Carter One-Shot at San Diego Comic-Con International.[5] By September 2013, Marvel Television was developing a series inspired by the short film, featuring Peggy Carter, and was in search of a writer for the series.[55] In January 2014, ABC Entertainment Group president Paul Lee confirmed that the show was in development, and added that Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas would act as the series' showrunners.[56] Chris Dingess also serves as a showrunner.[17] In March 2014, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, writers of the Captain America films, stated that they envisioned the series, which had not yet been greenlit, as a limited series of approximately 13 episodes[57] By April 2014, there were indications that the series would be ordered straight to series, bypassing a pilot order, and would air between the late 2014 and early 2015 portions of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., if that series got a second season renewal.[58]

This proves me right. If Markus and McFeely were show runners you source doesn't confirm it. They created it, while someone else does the show running. Exactly like on AoS.
    After The Walt Disney Company purchased Marvel Entertainment in 2009,[30] they announced that a Marvel Television division was being formed.[31][32] In the following months, various pilots based on comics from Marvel's catalog went into development.[33][34] In July 2012, Marvel Television entered into discussions with ABC to make a new series set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though at that point it was undecided what it would be. The series was described as "'a kernel of an idea' with a number of scenarios being explored, including a high-concept cop show."[35] The next month, it was announced that Marvel's The Avengers director Joss Whedon, creator of other popular television shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly, would be involved in the series' development.[36]

Which is what I said, Joss isn't the show runner - that's Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. This happened again with Dollhouse.

He's a producer on every Marvel production. That's a perk for being the big boss. It doesn't mean he's there every day, he's a producer not a show runner. Stan Lee's a producer on lost of Marvel entertainment, it's a contractual obligation it doesn't mean he's doing anything. On Buffy's tv series has Fran Kuzui, who directed the movie, is listed as a producer. Didn't do anything for the show.

Why are you linked that? The show's only ties to Winter Soldier are the writers, not the Russos. Doesn't prove anything.

So one of them directed an episode. Whedon did that and more for AoS and Goddard for Daredevil.

Goddard began as Daredevil's show runner, then was replaced by DeKnight and he directed and wrote the first couple episodes. It began with Goddard, who come from movies. He directed this

MOV_1ea4d988_b.jpg

Which puts him in Whedon's position on AoS.

In Hollywood you can't tell exactly who did what without further research, IMDB isn't great for information like listing show runners on shows. No show lists that, you find to find that out with interviews which I linked earlier. And it wasn't the Cap writers or the Russos who they went to for the show runners, it was Butters and Fazekas.

Harry Dresden on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    You folks do know when you start to post links to "prove your point", you're just being kinda goosey, right?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited March 2015
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    You folks do know when you start to post links to "prove your point", you're just being kinda goosey, right?

I was backing up my argument, not be a goose. Links are used in debates to prove points with internet debates.

Harry Dresden on
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    In other news, James Gunn has said his "favorite superhero" will be in GotG2. Also, that he really wishes Marvel had the rights to Rom: Spaceknight.

Has he ever given any indication as to who his favorite superhero might be?

Fakefaux on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Cosmo, hopefully.

Probably Warlock.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Cosmo, hopefully.

Probably Warlock.

I'm not sure Cosmo counts as a superhero. Also, lately Gunn's been playing down the possibility of Adam Warlock.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It is a sad day when someone decries posting sources as an inappropriate act.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I'm not saying don't post your sources. That's fine. But they should be sources at the end of a well reasoned argument, not just a post full of links. You don't present a bibliography as an essay.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth, kick @Deaderinred from the thread.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative ElJeffe. @Deaderinred banned from this thread.

I'm not saying don't post your sources. That's fine. But they should be sources at the end of a well reasoned argument, not just a post full of links. You don't present a bibliography as an essay.

Ah, right. I thought you were referring to multiple people there and not just trying to be polite and not single out an individual. My bad.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    In other news, James Gunn has said his "favorite superhero" will be in GotG2. Also, that he really wishes Marvel had the rights to Rom: Spaceknight.

Has he ever given any indication as to who his favorite superhero might be?

Bets on the mocap work being done by his brother.

Dedwrekka on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    SHIELD S1 is waaaay better when you can binge watch it. Like, a ton better.

Yup. Thanks to work I always had a few episodes to watch in a row which really helped things move along until Winter Soldier happened.

SHIELD really does start a bit slow, but ramps things up quite a bit towards the latter third or so of S1. But it got good in a big, big way, and made me so glad that we get stuff like SHIELD to really add extra life to the MCU.

Plus, I love the hell out of Coulson. Such an unassuming character on the surface and he's played so well; I might genuinely like him more than anybody else in the MCU at this point.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    There are what I would consider, three "weak" episodes for S1 of SHIELD.

0-8-4, The Hub, and Repairs. Every other episode had a purpose, and an overall tie in to the whole seasons culminating arc. And 0-8-4 was your normal perfunctuary world building episode post Pilot. Yes, SHIELD deals with weird shit, that's what this team does. Yes, we go all over the world. Yes we've been doing things for a while. Etc. Etc.

I mean, obviously we're talking a different scales of time here, but how many of you guys complaining about S1 put down a book 1/3rd of the way through because each chapter isn't some unbelievable reveal? There is a very specific story being told in S1, and 19 of the 22 episodes directly serve that story in some way or another, and all still manage to more or less maintain themselves as accessible up until the midway point, at which they shift to a more serialized format. The other three include two pretty big character beat episodes (Hub/Repairs).

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I've been hoping that DeKnight taking over Daredevil will mean that wang will be in every episode and it's just merkins as far as the eye can see. Give it that ol' Spartacus effort.

Also Daredevil is owned by a lanista played by John Hannah, who constantly pits Daredevil against other New York's finest super heroes, owned by other lanista, in Machiavellian schemes to finally earn a place of power in the American Senate.

This is a good plan and I think it has a pretty good chance of becoming reality.

Dracomicron on
    Eh, IMO the big issue early on was that the characters were kinda boring. Fitz and Simmons existed to be twee, Ward was, purposefully, bland as hell, May was the stoic badass stereotype, and Skye kinda dropped her major character points a third of the way through in exchange for her mystery subplot.

They improved with time, but it took awhile.

0-8-4, The Hub, and Repairs. Every other episode had a purpose, and an overall tie in to the whole seasons culminating arc. And 0-8-4 was your normal perfunctuary world building episode post Pilot. Yes, SHIELD deals with weird shit, that's what this team does. Yes, we go all over the world. Yes we've been doing things for a while. Etc. Etc.

I mean, obviously we're talking a different scales of time here, but how many of you guys complaining about S1 put down a book 1/3rd of the way through because each chapter isn't some unbelievable reveal? There is a very specific story being told in S1, and 19 of the 22 episodes directly serve that story in some way or another, and all still manage to more or less maintain themselves as accessible up until the midway point, at which they shift to a more serialized format. The other three include two pretty big character beat episodes (Hub/Repairs).

The problem is the first half of the season is clearly the stand-alone portion of the series while they start gradually building to some overarcing plot. Which is fine if your show is interesting absent some crazy rollercoaster over-plot.

AoS's problem is it's not. Not at that point anyway. The plots are standard and unexciting, the characters bland and boring for the most part and the few plot threads that are obviously left hanging are uncompelling. And the writing verges for the most part from bland to bad.

If you are gonna do the whole "stand-alones gradually building to a larger plot" thing, and it's a perfectly good structure to use, you gotta make your standalones actually interesting to watch in their own right cause that's what keeps people watching enough to start to pick up on the building background plot.

Most people wouldn't put down a book at the 1/3rd mark because there had been no reveal so far. But they would put down a book at the 1/3rd mark if so far it had been dull and badly written.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

0-8-4, The Hub, and Repairs. Every other episode had a purpose, and an overall tie in to the whole seasons culminating arc. And 0-8-4 was your normal perfunctuary world building episode post Pilot.

Tying into the over-arching plot doesn't, by itself, make an episode good or strong. It just makes the continuity strong. The episode can still be weak by every other metric and not fun to watch. An over-arching continuity plot that works and has been thought out is a definite virtue, but it doesn't matter if you're watching a boring episode peopled mostly by dull characters.

And if books were released episodically the same way as TV and the first 1/3 chapters released were tedious and boring people would say hmmm this is boring I think I won't bother with the next chapter. I don't know that anyone was clamouring for 'unbelievable reveals' in the first half of the season so much as they were wanting something that was more fun and exciting to watch.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

0-8-4, The Hub, and Repairs. Every other episode had a purpose, and an overall tie in to the whole seasons culminating arc. And 0-8-4 was your normal perfunctuary world building episode post Pilot.

Tying into the over-arching plot doesn't, by itself, make an episode good or strong. It just makes the continuity strong. The episode can still be weak by every other metric and not fun to watch. An over-arching continuity plot that works and has been thought out is a definite virtue, but it doesn't matter if you're watching a boring episode peopled mostly by dull characters.

And if books were released episodically the same way as TV and the first 1/3 chapters released were tedious and boring people would say hmmm this is boring I think I won't bother with the next chapter. I don't know that anyone was clamouring for 'unbelievable reveals' in the first half of the season so much as they were wanting something that was more fun and exciting to watch.

All right then, you've got me. I'm freaking baffled at the idea that you are about 10 episodes in or so and have found every episode "tedious and boring". You're telling me that you have not found the Pilot, Eye Spy, The Girl in the Flower Dress, FZZT, or The Well in any way shape or form interesting or exciting? And that episode list is being extremely pessimistic, considering The Asset was a fun, if derivative take on the basis of the spy genre, and The Hub was a pretty good showcase for Fitz's competency outside of a safe environment, if a bit troublesome with some of the other story elements.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Pilot was reaaaally bad dude. The pacing, dialogue, acting, visuals. It was eh on every level. Me and Lady Raven actually gave up on it for a couple months til we heard it had picked up. Then she watched it and confirmed it got good, made me watch it. I was having a hard time up until FZZT.

Oh brilliant
    Some of the early episodes were OK. Lots were forgettable and I found most the main characters kind of boring in those early episodes. The show then picked up tremendously, but the continuity work done in the early episodes doesn't mean they retroactively become amazing.

It wasn't the worst show on TV in the first half of season one, but it wasn't a masterpiece hiding in plain sight either.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Some of the early episodes were OK. Lots were forgettable and I found most the main characters kind of boring in those early episodes. The show then picked up tremendously, but the continuity work done in the early episodes doesn't mean they retroactively become amazing.

It wasn't the worst show on TV in the first half of season one, but it wasn't a masterpiece hiding in plain sight either.

I would say, more aptly, that it was craftsmanlike. The early episodes very capably build up the characters and universe until they're setting the stage for The Big Show later in the season. More importantly, they do it without giving away the secret. Nobody had any idea what was in the box until The Winter Soldier opened it.

World-building is an important thing, definitely, as is laying the foundations for your over-arching plot without giving the game away.

But so is making the 44 minutes of TV you're putting out this week as entertaining and exciting as you can. I think they flubbed that part in most of the episodes in the first half of the season.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The only outright weak episode I felt from season one was "0-8-4". The Pilot was just 'meh' but then again most pilots are kinda rough, so I give them a pass usually.

But other than 0-8-4 I enjoyed all the other episodes. They were fun and helped you get to know the characters, and without the character/world building of those episodes, the twists on the second half of the season wouldn't have nearly had the impact they did.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    I'm hoping James Gunn's favorite hero is Howard the Duck.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    boy i could not make it through the first few agents of shield. i'm not particularly invested in the source or the MCU in general, and the show on its own merits was just not particularly good. the acting was flat, the characters were one-dimensional and the stories felt like they were just perfunctory.

Wqdwp8l.png
    Irond Will wrote: »
    boy i could not make it through the first few agents of shield. i'm not particularly invested in the source or the MCU in general, and the show on its own merits was just not particularly good. the acting was flat, the characters were one-dimensional and the stories felt like they were just perfunctory.

Not to keep harping on it, but for some of those issues, there's an explanation behind it. For others, they smooth out completely. I started off hating Fitz/Simmons, and now they're one of my favorite parts of the show. I once thought Skye was the show's weakest element, now I can't imagine it without her.

edited March 2015
    Atomika wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »

Not to keep harping on it, but for some of those issues, there's an explanation behind it. For others, they smooth out completely. I started off hating Fitz/Simmons, and now they're one of my favorite parts of the show. I once thought Skye was the show's weakest element, now I can't imagine it without her.

I can't even compute this sentiment.

I'm not sure how Skye could be anything but bland.

shryke on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That is literally how much it improves.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Cosmo, hopefully.

Probably Warlock.

I'm not sure Cosmo counts as a superhero. Also, lately Gunn's been playing down the possibility of Adam Warlock.

Are.....are you a cat person? That is literally, literally hate speech right there.

(as much as people like Groot, you give kids a telepathic talking dog, just from a money standpoint, OMG, it's like a million Wishbones and the money isn't going to those fools at PBS)

Quasar would always work, and everyone likes Wendell, but Gunn said no other humans and it might step on Captain Marvel's toes, even though Quasar is hella better. But in the MCU Quasar's origin could really work; humanity is behind the times and haven't constantly kicked alien butts like in the comics, so a dude gets these wristbands that he thinks are really cool but in terms of the galaxy are super outdated.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I am totally with you on Skye. Biggest character turnaround in the whole series. It's really a hell of an impressive thing how her character evolved the first 1.5 seasons.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Cosmo, hopefully.

Probably Warlock.

Are.....are you a cat person? That is literally, literally hate speech right there.

(as much as people like Groot, you give kids a telepathic talking dog, just from a money standpoint, OMG, it's like a million Wishbones and the money isn't going to those fools at PBS)

Quasar would always work, and everyone likes Wendell, but Gunn said no other humans and it might step on Captain Marvel's toes, even though Quasar is hella better. But in the MCU Quasar's origin could really work; humanity is behind the times and haven't constantly kicked alien butts like in the comics, so a dude gets these wristbands that he thinks are really cool but in terms of the galaxy are super outdated.

It could also be Mar-Vell. He had something of a cult following, even though his comic never sold particularly well, and The Death of Captain Marvel is pretty well regarded. Maybe Gunn is a fan. The Guardians could have trouble with the Kree again, then run up against this famous Kree war hero who turns out to not be such a bad guy. It could help lay some groundwork for the Captain Marvel movie, where Mar-Vell would inevitably die and pass the mantle to Carol.

Alternatively? Beta Ray Bill.

This discussion has been closed.