As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread About Interesting Facts For Interested Individuals

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Oh my gosh I love National Personifications.

Thanks for the write up on them. You might want to remove that Marianne image though.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I spent I think at least two weeks trying to convince my roommate to dress up as Britannia for Halloween last year.

I think there must have been a clever joke or something involved, but I have no idea what it was at this point.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    My country is one of the oldest in Europe and doesn't have one, go figure

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Pff Greece, let's get Roman up in the USA

who needs democracy we got a Republic*

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I wanted to include a thing about the Neoclassical architectural thing going on in the 19th century, which is why all of the major buildings in Washington, D.C. have columns and whatnot, but I sadly don't know enough about the whole thing to make a decent post on the subject.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Oh and one more minor neat thing: this super cool poster depicting the powers of the Triple Entente during the First World War. Britannia holding the anchor that represented the Royal Navy's might, Mother Russia holding the Eastern Orthodox Cross aloft, with the shield of the Russian Imperial Family by her side. Marianne holding a heart for.....reasons? All in front of some really heinous fighting.
    wvi8gsprvt07.jpg

[edit] Eastern Orthodox, not Russian Orthodox.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I don't think we really have a Scottish one.

Our national animal is the Unicorn though, so suck on that everyone else.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Also, Liberty has appeared on more US coins than anyone else.

8g232l2fgv5j.jpg

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Side note: while grabbing images for this post I also looked into other countries' personifications and came across two Interesting Facts For Interested Individuals: one, way way way more countries used a clone of Athena than I realized, and two, the vast majority of national personifications are female. An interesting fact in the face of the overwhelming patriarchy.
    Gonna hazard a guess that it's a direct result of the overwhelming patriarchy. Feminine images for nations (and ships, and...) are used to provoke a sense of wanting to care for and protect whatever is being personified. And in times of war, it's a pretty clear motivation message: "your nation, a woman, is geared up and ready to fight, so why aren't you?"

Anyway the motivations and subtexts are pretty gross, but the images are usually awesome, so no complaints here.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Oh and one more minor neat thing: this super cool poster depicting the powers of the Triple Entente during the First World War. Britannia holding the anchor that represented the Royal Navy's might, Mother Russia holding the Eastern Orthodox Cross aloft, with the shield of the Russian Imperial Family by her side. Marianne holding a heart for.....reasons? All in front of some really heinous fighting.
    wvi8gsprvt07.jpg

Marianne and Britannia look like they're swooning over Mother Russia.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    wvi8gsprvt07.jpg

Who wouldn't, she's all ripped and tall and swarthy and shit.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    wvi8gsprvt07.jpg

Britannia is more like, man that's a pretty nice golden cross. That cross should totally be in my personal giant pile of stash The British Museum.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Side note: while grabbing images for this post I also looked into other countries' personifications and came across two Interesting Facts For Interested Individuals: one, way way way more countries used a clone of Athena than I realized, and two, the vast majority of national personifications are female. An interesting fact in the face of the overwhelming patriarchy.
    Gonna hazard a guess that it's a direct result of the overwhelming patriarchy. Feminine images for nations (and ships, and...) are used to provoke a sense of wanting to care for and protect whatever is being personified. And in times of war, it's a pretty clear motivation message: "your nation, a woman, is geared up and ready to fight, so why aren't you?"

Anyway the motivations and subtexts are pretty gross, but the images are usually awesome, so no complaints here.

In Latin, country names are by convention feminine, like Italia, Gallia, Britannia, Graecia etc.

So the personification as a female figure kinda lends itself to this fact (one could also hazardly speculate that female deities are more often imagined as chthonic than this seems to be the case for male deities)

• Options
    wvi8gsprvt07.jpg

I'm sure had this piece been made in Britain or France, Mother Russia wouldn't be in the center!

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    lolyp40264la.jpg

I cannot look at that picture of Britannia and not see what looks like an ancient, very patriotic wheelchair.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    And now it's time for..... International Wheelchair Trident Jousting

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Also, Liberty has appeared on more US coins than anyone else.

8g232l2fgv5j.jpg

Man, Lady Liberty sure knows how to throw a sick karate chop

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What's with the hand gesture? Is it meant to be a non-offensive means of pointing?

• Options
    It's an outstretched hand

Like 'let me help you up you tired huddled masses'

(It should also be noted that this design was made in 1916 and would more accurately be represented today by a middle finger pointing at our borders)

• Options
    Give me your tired white people, your poor white people, your huddled white people yearning to breathe free

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Protestants preferred.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    [W]hile we are, as I may call it, scouring our planet, by clearing America of woods, and so making this side of our globe reflect a brighter light to the eyes of inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the sight of superior beings, darken its people? why increase the sons of Africa, by planting them in America, where we have so fair an opportunity, by excluding all blacks and tawneys, of increasing the lovely white and red? But perhaps I am partial to the complexion of my Country, for such kind of partiality is natural to Mankind.

Platy on
  • Options
    I would like to dub this an argument ad alien

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

11 is a great example of why you shouldn't use float when int would suffice.
    9 is hilarious.
    4 reminds me of the jazz band director at my college describing one attempt a piece the band was learning as sounding "like an elephant tripping on acid down stairs."
    2 I don't know. Once you get to that many flats or sharps, it can kind of come back around to being easy to play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ben Franklin also believed Swedes were of a "swarthy complexion"

What do you say to this, @Flarne

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Ben Franklin also believed Swedes were of a "swarthy complexion"

What do you say to this, Flarne

Must've been that third of the country that emigrated to the states.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think Franklin knew very little about race or humans.

• Options
    I think Franklin was a racist!

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I think Franklin was a racist!

The sun is bright, the night is dark, etc etc

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    a very self aware racist

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Are cassowaries as dangerous as they seen in Far Cry 3?

I saw a thing at the zoo for cassowaries and it says they're mostly herbivores and will eat bugs and OCCASIONALLY some small animals, but they only kick at you in like an extreme self defense sort of situation. They won't chase you down and kick you in the dong.

Remember: although cassowaries mostly eat fruit, they also live in Australia, where everything except the peacock spiders* is trying to kill you, including the plants. They have to hunt that fruit down and kill it in a fight to the death.

Bird fact of the day!

*Well, they might be too, but I haven't figured out their angle yet.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Peacock spiders are just in the coordination phase of plotting mankind's downfall.

Their seemingly adorable dancing is actually a sophisticated code that they use to communicate information without our knowledge.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

I saw a thing at the zoo for cassowaries and it says they're mostly herbivores and will eat bugs and OCCASIONALLY some small animals, but they only kick at you in like an extreme self defense sort of situation. They won't chase you down and kick you in the dong.

Remember: although cassowaries mostly eat fruit, they also live in Australia, where everything except the peacock spiders* is trying to kill you, including the plants. They have to hunt that fruit down and kill it in a fight to the death.

Bird fact of the day!

In Australia's defense, they got the good possum.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

Bird fact of the day!

they got the only possum

we got opossum here in the states

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    goddamn yankees getting this shit wrong

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    On the personification of national identities, did anyone else read that essay on BioShock on Bredan Vance's blog?

It had a whole section devoted to the changing national personification of the Americas from the Indian Queen to Colombia to Liberty.
    At that time these colonies, the so-called land of Columbia, were Othered in the European imagination; theirs was a wild and mysterious continent best personified by its ‘savage’ inhabitants. As such, we can find images of a mythical ‘Indian Queen’ scattered throughout 16th to 19th century works of Western art and architecture:

I’ve read that her image mutated to suit the times: As Europe began exploiting the Americas’ considerable natural resources, depictions of the Queen grew fat; later, as the British colonists living there grew weary of imperial rule and mounted a revolution against it, she became a warlike princess. She fell from favour, however, in the era of the United States; citizens of the new republic, having cast off the chains of British tyranny, now found they had little in common with the Aboriginal peoples over whom they themselves were fast becoming tyrants. Soon a new symbol emerged from an unlikely source: That sly British euphemism, first conceived as tongue-in-cheek, had over time become poetic to the ears of a young United States eager for original myths with which to define itself. Thus the nation gradually replaced its Indian Queen with a new and vital symbol: The star-spangled, fair-skinned Columbia, a homegrown national muse.

.. it goes on to talk about Colombia as the incarnation of Manifest Destiny and the inevitable conflict with the Sioux and other native people, before ending with the change to Liberty once Colombia's subtext of conquest and exploitation of existing settlements was no longer fashionable.

It's not a bad read, for somethin ostensibly about a videogame.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »

Bird fact of the day!

they got the only possum

we got opossum here in the states

I ain't never met noboy who actually says "opossum." Everyone drops the o. And I got family that eat those fuckers.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

Bird fact of the day!

you know I don't want to be mean but we're all really really sick of this joke over here

every time you say the word "Australia" within earshot of an American this bit about how dangerous the wildlife is is the first or second thing they come out with

it's neither particularly accurate nor funny and it also seems to, I dunno, diminish the fact that we're actually a country? like it kind of treats Australia as if it was just there to entertain Americans with the wacky shenanigans of the crocodile hunter instead of being a society in its own right

so if you could all stop doing it that would be great

anyway there aren't enough cassowaries left for them to represent any real danger to human life. there's only, like five hundred? less then there are in Far Cry 3. if you see one in the wild, as I did when I was visiting the Daintree, you have to report it to a park ranger or something like that so they can keep track of them and make sure they're still there

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Australia is extremely dangerous. Especially the natives. The last time I went out to the bar after work with an Australian expat coworker I thought I was going to die of liver failure six hours in.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Do you play knifey spoony over there for reals?

This discussion has been closed.