As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Yellow [Chat]

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
edited February 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
klVMTOUl.jpg

So that man is Harry T. Burns. Besides being handsome as all get out, and a snappy dresser he was noted for switching from wearing a red rose to a yellow one. This would be the most historically significant act in his life. Well after listening to his mother. He was elected to the Tennessee State House of Representatives in 1918, representing McMinn County. In the summer of 1920, Tennessee called a special session to vote on the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, the one regarding women's suffrage. Burns had announced that he intended to vote against the amendment. It was expected that the Amendment would not be ratified. The projected outcome of the vote was to be 48-49. But then he got a letter from his mother. It's seven pages so I'll give you the relevant section.
Hurrah and vote for suffrage! Don't keep them in doubt! I notice some of the speeches against. They were bitter. I have been watching to see how you stood, but have not noticed anything yet. Don't forget to be a good boy and help Mrs. Catt put the "rat" in ratification.
Your mother

Burns was the final legislator called on, with the vote split 48-48 it was assumed that the anti-suffragists had won. Burns was wearing a red rose. The suffragists had been using the yellow rose as their symbol and the anti-suffragists had adopted the red rose. But Burns reached into his pocket, removed a yellow rose he had there and replaced the red rose in his lapel. Then he voted aye. With his vote, the Amendment passed 49 to 48. Tennessee became the 36th and final state needed to ratify the 19th Amendment to the Constitution and it became the law of the land.

When asked about why he changed his mind,
“I knew that a mother’s advice is always safest for a boy to follow and my mother wanted me to vote for ratification,” he said. “I appreciated the fact that an opportunity such as seldom comes to a mortal man to free 17 million women from political slavery was mine.”

Oh and then he sent a telegram to his mother.
G2UY85i.jpg
"On their return from Nashville Photographers of New York papers may stop over there. Thought best to let you know if you cannot come to Nashville leaving there tonight. I will try to leave for Niota tomorrow pm (?). Am tired but ok fight apparently won but settled tomorrow. Harry."

Oh and really, it's not complete with a picture of his mother.
R7BwOlv.jpg

If you want to read the full text of the letter his mother sent him, you can go here.

http://cmdc.knoxlib.org/cdm/search/searchterm/Burn

Thomamelas on

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Did you write that all up incredibly quick or did you have it saved somewhere rearing to go when you made the new thread

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Skippy, the joke is that the Canadians live along the US border, not all their borders.

Faces pressed against the glass, looking in on our freedoms longingly.

If you looked at the percentage of americans living within 100 miles of the US-canadian border on our side, it would not be so many.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Did you write that all up incredibly quick or did you have it saved somewhere rearing to go when you made the new thread

Thom did that all from memory and drew those pictures himself.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Skippy, 80% of Canada's population is less than 100 miles of The US border, not "a border".

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    oh my word is this professor awful

This is the second professor I've had who taught in China before moving to the US, and both of them have done the following (taken from ratemyprofessor)

"This guy is really awful. He's completely unclear with what he wants and is very condescending and rude when you try to ask him for clarification. He has students do presentations every class so that he doesn't ever have to actually teach. He misspells and mispronounces everything, then he tries to criticize our writing or presenting ability."

this guy also has additional layers to his shit sandwich, he changed the presentation order on the website after establishing it in class. Thankfully we texted the group that thought they had 3 weeks to prepare so they're good. The teacher also gets angry when you ask for clarification

and I wasn't kidding last night when I said he offers bonus points to students who can do their work in chinese

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

I have a bunch on tap. Usually posts I made from the Cool History Thread but sometimes I use Instant Watch Film Society write ups. I have them in a gmail draft for quick copy and pasting.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Skippy, the joke is that the Canadians live along the US border, not all their borders.

If you looked at the percentage of americans living within 100 miles of the US-canadian border on our side, it would not be so many.

also, there are probably only a couple dozen countries where there is anyone that doesn't live within 100 miles of a border

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    80% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the U.S. Border
    with Mexico

Bless your heart.
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    HELENA — A Montana lawmaker is seeking to strengthen the state’s indecent exposure law, stopping just short of his wish to outlaw yoga pants.

Rep. David Moore on Tuesday introduced House Bill 365 in the House Judiciary Committee in response to a group of naked bicyclists who rolled through Missoula in August.

The proposal would expand indecent exposure law to include any nipple exposure, including men’s, and any garment that “gives the appearance or simulates” a person’s buttocks, genitals, pelvic area or female nipple.

The Republican from Missoula said tight-fitting beige clothing could be considered indecent exposure under his proposal.

“Yoga pants should be illegal in public anyway,” Moore said after the hearing.

:x

edited February 2015
    MOST HORRIBLE PROFESSOR EVER! He is a jerk that is unjust in his grading, biased, plays favorites, and can not speak English. He is supposed to teach for MIS, but had to ask for help with turning on the computer! Never take him!!!!

oh my god he did that with us too

last night he couldn't figure out how to get the sound on (muted), and he teachers senior level IT courses

how the fuck did this guy get a job

override367 on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

ohhhhh

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Canada is a place where mooses can vote and maple syrup is used as currency and the standard greeting is to play 8 games of hockey. All true facts.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    My draft [chat]
    Hiding prices until you put the thing in your cart is dumb. Amazon.com handles this gracefully for its customers now!

HDqsqjdl.png

Making people register with a site before they buy is also dumb!

http://www.uie.com/articles/three_hund_million_button/
    We conducted usability tests with people who needed to buy products from the site. We asked them to bring their shopping lists and we gave them the money to make the purchases. All they needed to do was complete the purchase.

We were wrong about the first-time shoppers. They did mind registering. They resented having to register when they encountered the page. As one shopper told us, "I'm not here to enter into a relationship. I just want to buy something."

The designers fixed the problem simply. They took away the Register button. In its place, they put a Continue button with a simple message: "You do not need to create an account to make purchases on our site. Simply click Continue to proceed to checkout. To make your future purchases even faster, you can create an account during checkout."

The results: The number of customers purchasing went up by 45%. The extra purchases resulted in an extra $15 million the first month. For the first year, the site saw an additional $300,000,000.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

also, there are probably only a couple dozen countries where there is anyone that doesn't live within 100 miles of a border

There are some countries where the borders aren't even 100 miles from the other borders.

Thomamelas wrote: »

I have a bunch on tap. Usually posts I made from the Cool History Thread but sometimes I use Instant Watch Film Society write ups. I have them in a gmail draft for quick copy and pasting.

-Starts typing up Book of Mormon synopsis just in case -

Arch,
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    To complement Thomamelas' post, here is the great and glorious history of how women suffrage came to be in Canada.
    Prime Minister Sir Robert Borden pledged himself during the 1917 campaign to equal suffrage for women. After his landslide victory, he introduced a bill in 1918 for extending the franchise to women. This passed without division.

Canadian history: Witness the slow methodical march of peaceful procedural votes.

sig.gif
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Damn that is a handsome old timey dude

i have plans for a good [chat]. But I think that my one, lone chat in my tenure here was probably my last :(

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    i have plans for a good [chat]. But I think that my one, lone chat in my tenure here was probably my last :(

Geth has a weird tendency to pick me.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I only get chats when I endure a personal tragedy

I might get one when I get engaged

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    So Shadowrun: Dragonfall is p cool

ftOqU21.png
    the professor was also asking us to help him pirate software that he's supposed to buy (we all have to buy it too) for an online thing

STEREOTYPE INTENSIFIES

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    What I came back from lunch and there is a new chat. I must burn things to the ground.

47060-In-Australia-the-spiders-are-s-PCz3.jpeg

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    @spacekungfuman --- I can confirm that playing BG2 is now every bit as good, if not better, than playing BG1 on the iPad.

What a huge difference that patch made. It is a playable game now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

I get chat whenever I am about to go to sleep

spool32 wrote: »
    My draft [chat]
    Hiding prices until you put the thing in your cart is dumb. Amazon.com handles this gracefully for its customers now!

HDqsqjdl.png

Making people register with a site before they buy is also dumb!

http://www.uie.com/articles/three_hund_million_button/
    We conducted usability tests with people who needed to buy products from the site. We asked them to bring their shopping lists and we gave them the money to make the purchases. All they needed to do was complete the purchase.

We were wrong about the first-time shoppers. They did mind registering. They resented having to register when they encountered the page. As one shopper told us, "I'm not here to enter into a relationship. I just want to buy something."

The designers fixed the problem simply. They took away the Register button. In its place, they put a Continue button with a simple message: "You do not need to create an account to make purchases on our site. Simply click Continue to proceed to checkout. To make your future purchases even faster, you can create an account during checkout."

The results: The number of customers purchasing went up by 45%. The extra purchases resulted in an extra $15 million the first month. For the first year, the site saw an additional $300,000,000.

The fucking worst are the sites that make you register just to even fucking see their items.

Fuck those sites

Arch,
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Been hearing these on my local radio stations for a while, hilarious for a dubious car accident lawyer referral service:

https://soundcloud.com/411-pain

...Geth?

Cinders wrote: »

I get chat whenever I am about to go to sleep

Geth loves that. Or when the chat ends at 4 am and he picks someone who posted several hours previously.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    HELENA — A Montana lawmaker is seeking to strengthen the state’s indecent exposure law, stopping just short of his wish to outlaw yoga pants.

Rep. David Moore on Tuesday introduced House Bill 365 in the House Judiciary Committee in response to a group of naked bicyclists who rolled through Missoula in August.

The proposal would expand indecent exposure law to include any nipple exposure, including men’s, and any garment that “gives the appearance or simulates” a person’s buttocks, genitals, pelvic area or female nipple.

The Republican from Missoula said tight-fitting beige clothing could be considered indecent exposure under his proposal.

Nobody spends more time thinking about women, gay men, and sex than straight white republican men.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Switzerland ratified women's suffrage federally in 1990

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    edited February 2015
    Atomika wrote: »

Nobody spends more time thinking about women, gay men, and sex than straight white republican men.

nsfw audio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simV1ZXFsxI

override367 on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    other cs nerds, was your web class also like this? super broad and super fast?

html, css, javascript/ajax, php, and now mysql

with like a week spent on each

it does not seem particularly useful to dip a toe into each of these, it's not like I'm going to remember much other than sessions exist, or you can make a function call by pressing a button, or whatever

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

what

a

monster

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    This keyboard is nerd the equivalent of selling sports drinks to people who want to feel sporty.

https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com

Also good lord is it ugly.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    They can take my yoga pants when I'm dead

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    *goes home on lunch break*

*only spinach in fridge*

*reclines in deep reflection*

steam_sig.png
    @eddy - I was playing with mechanical keyboards in best buy. Man have they advanced from the one I have. Love the Razer switches. Each one is like a gun shot.

other cs nerds, was your web class also like this? super broad and super fast?

html, css, javascript/ajax, php, and now mysql

with like a week spent on each

it does not seem particularly useful to dip a toe into each of these, it's not like I'm going to remember much other than sessions exist, or you can make a function call by pressing a button, or whatever

the CS here is like, 1 class for each thing (I was going to take it)

MIS is 2 classes in C# and 2 classes in SQL and that's it, but that makes sense for MIS since its focused more on DBA/Sys admin

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    This call is tedious.

I'm hungry.

Discuss.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.