As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cities: Skylines 2 Now Available

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wishlist:

Patches:
    Per-lane road attachment
    Planning overlay, ala Rimworld or Prison Architect (lay fake roads/rail/zones to plan future expansion)
    Day/Night cycle
    Animated assets
    Weather effects
    Canals with associated transport
    Cliffside/Shoreside walls (wooden docks, cement retainers, anything better than ugly rock)
    Rickshaws
    Trams
    Cruise ships with associated temporary tourism boost

Mod tools:
    Selecting texture files through asset editor
    Vehicle and Cim modding
    Disabling default assets

DLC:
    Japanese region
    Middle-Eastern region
    European region

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    All I want is the ability to make right-turn-only intersections. Here in my country we tend to use those instead of roundabouts and they work fucking fine. Save space, too.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    How the hell do I place the cargo harbor? It keeps showing a red dashed line to some random point in my city and won't let me place it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    All I want is the ability to make right-turn-only intersections. Here in my country we tend to use those instead of roundabouts and they work fucking fine. Save space, too.

Yeah, an intersection where you are allowed to make a short turn (either to left or right depending on the direction of traffic in your country) but not allowed to make a long turn across traffic is a useful thing to have.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    How the hell do I place the cargo harbor? It keeps showing a red dashed line to some random point in my city and won't let me place it.

dumb question, does the map have a ship connection?

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

It's one of the built in ones so I assumed it did but maybe it doesn't.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Solving a traffic problem by removing lanes from a bottleneck feels awesome.

• Options

It's one of the built in ones so I assumed it did but maybe it doesn't.

not all of them do.

• Options
    I'll just build freight train stations then.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So supposedly you can do vertex animations for buildings, so the clock tower sounds like it should be possible. I'm going to do some testing tomorrow. I'm thinking a 4x4 commercial strip mall with the clock tower on one end. I have some ideas to make a bunch of "modular" pieces to the strip mall that can fit together for low density commercial sprawl. We will see how it goes.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So supposedly you can do vertex animations for buildings, so the clock tower sounds like it should be possible. I'm going to do some testing tomorrow. I'm thinking a 4x4 commercial strip mall with the clock tower on one end. I have some ideas to make a bunch of "modular" pieces to the strip mall that can fit together for low density commercial sprawl. We will see how it goes.

Godspeed, son.

I think I might give up on modding myself. Comparing my output to what's (worth getting) on the workshop, I just don't have the experience with 3D modelling to make something visually appealing. The dream of something like this in the game will have to wait for hopeful DLC, as no modders appear to be taking a crack at traditional wooden architecture yet.

Suriko on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So am I missing something or can you not partially complete an elevated rail line? It seems like I have to build an elevated rail in one go, and if I don't I have to demolish the existing elevated rail and start from scratch, which is some bullshit I will tell you what.

• Options
    Also I'm guessing everyone's fetish for intersection mods in the workshop has to do with the fact that there's fuck all in the game AFAIK.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    Also I'm guessing everyone's fetish for intersection mods in the workshop has to do with the fact that there's fuck all in the game AFAIK.

I'd guess that and learning how to do your own intersections from scratch costs a ton of fake money and even when you have a handle on it you still spend a lot of fake money

I've literally spent 500k getting a three level highway interchange to work

After spending a half hour building it as an asset that I couldn't place because of elevations

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    idk, i find most real world interchanges only work under moderate load in cities, you really have to get creative with on and offramps to prevent the questionable traffic ai from breaking your whole highway system. as such, i don't find the interchange assets on the workshop to be that useful.

the 4 level stack i built in my city which is basically the best interchange design for speed and throughput gets horribly jammed because everyone needs to get in the middle lane instantly and cause horrible traffic jams, so I had to commit interchange crimes to make it work properly.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I am starting to think that the smoke detector, power saving and water saving policies are a fool's trap

They cost an absolute fortune and since they scale per building, and thus scale with city size, i dont think you would ever reach a point where it wouldn't be cheaper to just build more power/water/fire stations.

Districts. Industry always gets the fire alarms because industry burns down at the drop of a bad.

I'm going to have to disable the fire propagation mod. The fire services simply aren't built to handle it efficiently, especially on high traffic industrial sectors

Jintor on
  • Options
    I'm wondering if maybe fires originally spread in some early alpha of the game and they realised they couldn't make the fire services able to handle it.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Is there something wrong with me, or do you need an absolutely absurd number of elementary schools and high schools in this game? I feel like I have one every three blocks.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    well the maths doesn't lie

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Is there something wrong with me, or do you need an absolutely absurd number of elementary schools and high schools in this game? I feel like I have one every three blocks.

Up the school funding. Really, up all the funding the moment you can afford it, saves a lot of service buildings.

Even then, you'll need a LOT of Elementary schools. Fewer High Schools though.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Knight_ wrote: »
    idk, i find most real world interchanges only work under moderate load in cities, you really have to get creative with on and offramps to prevent the questionable traffic ai from breaking your whole highway system. as such, i don't find the interchange assets on the workshop to be that useful.

the 4 level stack i built in my city which is basically the best interchange design for speed and throughput gets horribly jammed because everyone needs to get in the middle lane instantly and cause horrible traffic jams, so I had to commit interchange crimes to make it work properly.

i just had a standard on/off ramp here. traffic backed all the way up over the bridge into the suburbs and in all the way down in front of the train station. had to make some minor adjustments...

aLPcAzP.jpg

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »

Godspeed, son.

I think I might give up on modding myself. Comparing my output to what's (worth getting) on the workshop, I just don't have the experience with 3D modelling to make something visually appealing. The dream of something like this in the game will have to wait for hopeful DLC, as no modders appear to be taking a crack at traditional wooden architecture yet.

I think the biggest issue with that style of building is going to be the texturing. That is a lot of different angles you're going to have to line up the wood grain to match to look good, even at a moderate distance, let alone closely zoomed in.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Why cant we use the district tool to create a large park full of trees and walking paths. Be nice to create a state forrest or something.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Update :
    o3alLIU.png

The building is almost dome, just need to link the cupcake to the spire, add a circle for a logo on the left bump, add a few spires around the edge, and then that bit will be done. Then I'll work on the base, and then add the propeller thingy on top.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Hate to be that guy, but - @Mvrck, @halkun, any links to howto guides for CSL modding? I might try to make a building.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    You can find bunches of tutorials online. I would recommend Sketchup for roughing out the building, and then importing into Blender for detail and texture mapping. I recommend Sketchup because there are lots of building tutorials on the youtubes too, look into the photomatch function which is super helpful.

• Options
    I feel like the game should start you out with farming and forestry industry and unlock manufacturing later, instead of the other way around.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    My city needed a ton of hospitals but I built it to be a hellish town that nobody would want to live in. All roadways and tiny zones, with the central feature of the town being a garbage dump right across from a park, surrounded by residential zoned area.

For some reason everyone kept getting sick all the time :rotate:

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    You can find bunches of tutorials online. I would recommend Sketchup for roughing out the building, and then importing into Blender for detail and texture mapping. I recommend Sketchup because there are lots of building tutorials on the youtubes too, look into the photomatch function which is super helpful.

Oh, I've got no questions about the modeling stuff, I do that pretty well and routinely. Was more wondering about asset specifications, texture sizes and types, etc. But I found a wiki link in the meantime that seems to have at least the rough basics.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It's *super* simple. 1 unit = 1 meter. Export to FBX and make sure the textures have the same name as the model... That's really it!

halkun on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Modeling is almost done (I just have to add the halo up on top).
    Let me ambient occlude you!
    YOiKexr.png
    VjY3rdi.png

After the halo, then the actual textureing part starts. That will be fun if you want to see a grown man cry :)

I'm going to be doing the Halo in Sketchup and importing that in as the final piece.

halkun on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Finally broke the 80k population barrier. Still love just flying around and zooming in to look at different things.

In fact, something I think that is pretty amazing about this game is how organic the cities look and feel. Aside from a bit of wonkiness with the highways, it damn near feels like a dev could rip a city straight from a save file and slap it down in a different game as the game map, and it would look and feel pretty rad.

Kinda absurd how sophisticated this stuff is now, compared to my first experience with sim games with Simcity on the Super Nintendo waaaay back in the day.

• Options
    Balamb Garden, I extend my middle finger at thee!

QURX9hy.png
    wwU7wMT.png

Ok, I'm done spamming pictures until I have my textures done.

The occlusion texture is a little clunky because I didn't have the ambient light up enough during the bake. I'll also be re-seaming the model to better map the UV. I also MAY re-do the halo as it pushed me over my polygon budget, but I wanted to see it done. I don't know if I can get away with just a flat, transparent square and the halo image pasted onto it. I like how it's captured the "Big, but tiny" look that cities does.

Questions? Comments?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oh wow, that halo really establishes just what the stucture is, good job.

I'll definitely pick that up for myself when you finish with it.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ummm. Suggestion/wish? Can there be models done of it in various stages of construction?

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Not sure if it's possible, but that'd be neat to see as a hybrid of all 3 education types. Otherwise, maybe just a high school or university alternative.

It is looking very garden-y.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

Sounds like something odd is going on if the red dashed line is pointing towards your city. With mine it pointed to the sea entrance, basically where the ships would be coming in. The idea is to tell you that the water between the shipyard and that entrance needs to be deep and wide enough. I ended up putting mine way away from my city because it was the only place I could actually plant it.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

Sounds like something odd is going on if the red dashed line is pointing towards your city. With mine it pointed to the sea entrance, basically where the ships would be coming in. The idea is to tell you that the water between the shipyard and that entrance needs to be deep and wide enough. I ended up putting mine way away from my city because it was the only place I could actually plant it.

Yeah, my city is messed up for the harbors too. They point to some random point in the middle of land.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    The first person mod attaching to vehicles is ace. Riding your freeways is great.

I love the feeling that you could go back in time to, say, 2004-2005, show a first-person camera view to some gamer, and then zoom out and just explode their brains. First person mode is like a crappy GTA: San Andreas knock-off... and that's just this game at street level.

It's so damn satisfying.