As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cities: Skylines 2 Now Available

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, something interesting happened in my game: My metro lines are profitable! I've never had metro lines even break even before.

Something else happened that's related: Massive traffic jam. My industrial section got totally jammed up. I started tracing the jam into the downtown core. It went on for a ways. Then I found the source. One of the downtown metro stations. So many pedestrians are coming and going from that station that it is completely blocking traffic on the crosswalks.

Hm.

Get a pedestrian walkway over the road!

In fact, get pedestrian walkways everywhere!

I need to get back into this game again now that tunnels are a thing. My dreams of creating a beautiful hippy city with almost zero above-ground car traffic can finally become reality!

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Strange, I thought that road traffic ignored pedestrians. It looks like cars just go through them. Perhaps I just haven't seen an extreme enough situation

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I think it depends on the density of the civilians. I've definitely had to reroute them because of stopped traffic before because hey why NOT try to walk across an overpass when there is a metro and a bus RIGHT THERE!

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's hit-or-miss. Big crowds crossing the road will definitely cause problems, though.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    My city is getting pretty big now.

http://imgur.com/a/TX2Rh

About 200k residents. I need to fix the railway that cuts across the bay at the front though because cruise ships clip through it. Though I can't make train tunnels across water...

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Have you been dealing with any mass death waves?

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Death waves are definitely a thing in my cities, but I generally just compensate with lots and lots of crematoriums.

Watching OfficialNerdCubed do his play-through of Cities: Skylines made me get back into the game again, as he was playing on a custom map that looked pretty sweet, and it also made me want to try some of the mods I didn't yet have. Really loving how tunnels change the game, and I think I'm finally getting a handle on how and when to use roundabouts. Reading this thread has inspired me to want to try a double-decker roundabout, so I think I'll give that a go next time I play. :P

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I downloaded the Mod that lets Cims live 4x longer than standard. While I get deathwaves, they don't start until I'm easily able to handle them, and they are farther apart.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Death waves aren't a problem if you keep expanding. My population graph is pretty much linear with a couple of tiny plateaus where you would expect a death wave to be occurring.

Death waves also seem to have diminishing returns - if you leave you city long enough it will stabilise such that deaths = births.

• Options
    supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    Death waves are definitely a thing in my cities, but I generally just compensate with lots and lots of crematoriums.

Watching OfficialNerdCubed do his play-through of Cities: Skylines made me get back into the game again, as he was playing on a custom map that looked pretty sweet, and it also made me want to try some of the mods I didn't yet have. Really loving how tunnels change the game, and I think I'm finally getting a handle on how and when to use roundabouts. Reading this thread has inspired me to want to try a double-decker roundabout, so I think I'll give that a go next time I play. :P

I've really been enjoying the Nerdcubed playthrough. He's really creative and enjoyable with it. I've kinda fallen off his other vids but this has been really fun. I need to get my desktop set back up with my monitor instead of in my living room so I can play some more.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    So, I just decided to purchase this, since it's received SO MANY good reviews. Here's to hoping I love it! People are saying it is the spiritual successor to SC4 in every way. Accurate?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I'd say it's accurate. It's a very fun citybuilder that is getting lots of community mod support so it should stay viable for quite some time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    So, I just decided to purchase this, since it's received SO MANY good reviews. Here's to hoping I love it! People are saying it is the spiritual successor to SC4 in every way. Accurate?

I'd say "every way" is overstating it. Skylines' economic simulation is much simpler. It's more about traffic management.

There's for sure a ton of overlap though, and the degree of mod support is fantastic. And furthermore, the developer has strongly suggested that they plan to add more mechanical depth to the game with patches and expansions, so I would expect it to even more fully eclipse SC4 in due time.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Skylines was developed by a team of only 9-12 people. It's defiantly not a feature rich as SimCity 4, but it's getting there. The modding scene is awesome. I have downloaded so many awesome content packs. There's even a former maxis employee making assets for Skylines.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Skylines was developed by a team of only 9-12 people. It's defiantly not a feature rich as SimCity 4, but it's getting there. The modding scene is awesome. I have downloaded so many awesome content packs. There's even a former maxis employee making assets for Skylines.

defiantly not as feature rich, huh.

That's pretty bold of them.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Imagine following a GPS navigation system, or Google maps through that.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Imagine following a GPS navigation system, or Google maps through that.

"Stay in your lane. Do not deviate. U-turn when possible."

• Options
    So has anybody found any cool new mods or buildings that are must have in the past couple months?

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfFPIjdPJRk

-Day & Night cycle, visual and a change to the simulation
    -Taxi service
    -Bicycles
    -Beach front zoning
    -Entertainment zoning
    -Jails

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/cities-skylines-after-dark-preview/

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    I heard on Reddit that the Day/Night cycle with be part of a free patch that accompanies this Xpack.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So I tried regular roads and got traffic lights and gridlock. Then I tried one-way roads and, while there were no traffic lights, everybody took forever to get anywhere because most people had to take giant detours.

I feel like there should be some happy medium between using those two kinds of roads, but I haven't quite found it yet.

• Options
    So I tried regular roads and got traffic lights and gridlock. Then I tried one-way roads and, while there were no traffic lights, everybody took forever to get anywhere because most people had to take giant detours.

I feel like there should be some happy medium between using those two kinds of roads, but I haven't quite found it yet.

Under and overpasses. You can now dig roadways deep underground and use them to run bypasses connecting your hot spots. My last city had a nasty spiderweb of tunnels connecting my industrial to commercial, bypassing the residential areas. I can suggest removing the grid links to those areas and replacing them with your custom made bypass tunnels.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    The best thing I ever saw was a guide from a real life traffic engineer, let me see if I can still find it.

The basics was having like, minor roads inside neighborhoods or defined areas, then those dump to gathering roads that shuttle people to major arteries, which take them to other parts of the city.

• Options
  • Options
    That was before they added tunnels. Now, you can completely bypass entire sections of your city without affecting your existing road system.

• Options
    yeah but the basic idea is the same

neighborhood -> gathering -> artery

Don't let your neighborhood roads connect to arteries because then traffic will slow to a crawl as people take the shortest (distance, not speed) route.

• Options
    Get the traffic manager mod. You can remove traffic lights at intersections and replace them with give way or stop signs.

Means you can have 2 lane roads coming off your collectors without a traffic light on the collector every 50 metres.

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    yeah but will your drivers use all the lanes instead of only being in the one lane they will need to exit on 50 miles away

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Perfect timing. I've put CS on the back burner trying to get through Assassin's Creed 4. I should be able to finish it just in time for After Dark to drop.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    After Dark dropped this morning (US time). Haven't had much time to play it yet, but I will when I get home from work. So far the changes seem great, and they've integrated a couple of different mods ideas in to actual game features.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Responding to the traffic engineer stuff, here is the effect that makes it so that adding a faster road doesn't necessarily reduce congestion:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braess'_paradox

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Oof that's too complicated for my brain in terms of vidya games.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hear that with the expansion, solar power stops working at night. That's expected, but has interesting implications.

• Options
    Entriech wrote: »
    I hear that with the expansion, solar power stops working at night. That's expected, but has interesting implications.

I wonder if they added battery banks like Sim City has. I will have to pick this up tonight. Didn't realize it had already come out.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I said I wasn't going to get it, I said I was just going to wait for the patch that came with it and play without it..

..so why did I just buy the goddamn expansion, I'M SO WEAK, A FILTHY DIRTY CONSUMER WHORE.