As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Phalla Royale - Second Chance Edition - Auralynx Survives it all!

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Also, thanks again to @Ardor for running. These games are always fun, even when you die quick. Not unlike roguelikes actually. Or maybe that's just me...

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Well I lost that game day 4, when I trusted JPants, Jdark and Preda instead of simply killing them all, or at least two of them.
    At that stage I had a 3 dmg Switchblade and was sitting in the lighthouse with a Pot Lid Shield.

Had I not done that, then there would've been no C4 to play, and I would've been going into the final day with like 4 health.

On the flipside, then they blew each other up whilst killing me, and then I ensured they didn't make it to the final day either.

discrider on
  • Options
    Also @JPants , me being a lone wolf can't excuse any of your actions that were taken without that knowledge.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I think this game and the last, getting the +1 damage on switchblade was a very lethal combination, since it could not be blocked and most players could not see it. It'll deal 3 damage this way which will most of the time kill your target.

I'd love to run this game more often when there's a gap between games, but the time commitment is a lot for me these days. I'll try my hand at a much different game (significantly more mafia-ish) when I hammer down a few balance issues.

Bliss 101 evaded a grenade from discrider day 1, then took damage from one attack every day since Day 3, making very effective use of Survivor's 1 point damage reduction per day. He mitigated 5 damage during the game.

Auralynx, through what I assume to be diplomacy since I don't see all communications, never even had anything aimed at him until the final day. That Grenade hit was the first thing to be flung his way the entire game.

Also, thanks to RNG: Bliss 101 had both Tracking Units for most of the game. Preda ended up with 3 Grenades.

Ardor on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    ooOOOOoooOOoooo

Drez.... I'm.. *cough*... on my..... way....

oooOOooooOO

This was great fun! Survivor was a pretty cool perk for a lone wolf, now that it comes with damage reduction.

Discrider and I set aside our difference briefly in the end. I had hoped for Team Lone Wolf to wipe out everyone else, then have a climactic duel. But this worked too. Pretty exciting too, because I figured I had a decent chance at winning this, but then Auralynx managed to survive my grenade.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Regarding the no team game, I think I enjoyed this one a lot more. Very little time was spent searching or analyzing, allowing the lone wolves to not play the hiding game for most of their time. I like the team aspect, because I think games like this are more fun for each player when you have a team you can work with, but from the view of the host, it was much more exciting to watch the action when your win condition is to be the last player alive.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    ooOOOOoooOOoooo

oooOOooooOO

This was great fun! Survivor was a pretty cool perk for a lone wolf, now that it comes with damage reduction.

Discrider and I set aside our difference briefly in the end. I had hoped for Team Lone Wolf to wipe out everyone else, then have a climactic duel. But this worked too. Pretty exciting too, because I figured I had a decent chance at winning this, but then Auralynx managed to survive my grenade.

:/
    There was just no point killing you when it became most favourable to my win condition to do so.
    I would've far preferred to simply knock you out day 1 with the grenade from 'Lucky'.

But otherwise, it was fun chasing you with a 3 dmg Switchblade.

• Options
    The team-less setup was certainly a bit better for the lone wolves, although still not easy. Not sure what went on behind the scenes, but when we all arrived at the beach I was pretty sure everyone else had figured out that discrider and I are the lone wolves. I was surprised that all 4 didn't focus on attacking us.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Also I got to beat Gizzy to death with my Tracking Units.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Also @JPants , me being a lone wolf can't excuse any of your actions that were taken without that knowledge.

Justification after the fact!

But of course you're right. I made that decision that night based on the pacts i made day 1-2. Attacking you gave Aura/Preda the best chance at last man standing.

• Options
    Ardor wrote: »
    Regarding the no team game, I think I enjoyed this one a lot more. Very little time was spent searching or analyzing, allowing the lone wolves to not play the hiding game for most of their time. I like the team aspect, because I think games like this are more fun for each player when you have a team you can work with, but from the view of the host, it was much more exciting to watch the action when your win condition is to be the last player alive.

I loved this style of game. Not that I didn't enjoy the school games as well, but those definitely seemed like more overhead for the game runner.

I liked that people could work together to escape, but if that failed, they would end up pitted against each other (unless they found the ribbon).

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JPants wrote: »

Justification after the fact!

But of course you're right. I made that decision that night based on the pacts i made day 1-2. Attacking you gave Aura/Preda the best chance at last man standing.

Yeah, if our team had a proboard you'd be pretty annoyed with me right now, discrider; I encouraged them to stab you in the back. When I saw the "here, have the C-4!" pm I grinned like an idiot, even knowing you were trying to take my guns off you that night.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, this type of the game rewards diplomacy and temporary alliances, but in the end you can only trust yourself (and a hair ribbon lover, if you get the chance to analyze them). It creates a really interesting atmosphere: the game is basically a big puzzle you have to solve in a way that leaves you alive in the end.

I really like both flavors of Phalla Royale, though. I hope you'll have time to run a team game and a team-free game back to back like this in the future.

If discrider hadn't had a grudge against me, I think I'd have tried to form an alliance with him in the beginning. Team Lone Wolf would have demolished the island together, I think. We started in the same zone, and his pot lid shield made me unable to kill him, so I was no threat to him, while I had no loot anyone would want. So disc would have been a more natural ally than Drez. I actually did try to kill Drez on day 2, but then we had a reconciliation when discrider returned to the Lighthouse.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I think my only real diplomatic move that game was talking jdark over to our team via JPants' deactivator and selling out VW, but I pmed a fair number of people.

I like trying diplomacy in these more than in most phallas because the clear end-point and constant pressure makes it a lot easier to figure out the x-for-y sort of deal and who's coming out ahead. It's a little more ambiguous most games.

• Options
    I'm much more likely to try diplomacy in these compared to regular phallas as well. Never thought about it like that but yeah.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I went in thinking woo no teams no pressure, the only person I have to let down is myself. So I picked a silly perk. Then teams started to form and I didn't want to join and be the weakest link - but maybe in hindsight I should have anyways.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Well, these two games have just taught me to not try diplomacy at all, because that just gets you killed.
    Also @Auralynx , you weren't at the lighthouse to pull the trigger, so I don't really csre what you said in the background. It's all on Preda, Jpants and Jdark.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    DUE and I were both in the same place to start the game and we both had shotguns. We PM'd each other about being on a team literally at the same time (the PMs crossed in the ether) and were loyal to each other the whole way. Couldn't quite get to our desired honorable day 7 shotgun duel though.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @Ardor I could probably whip this into a web game, might make it easier to run.

That would be up to you! I think running this 1-2 times a year helps it not get too tiring to everyone. Perhaps the next time I consider running this, I'll send you a note and see what you'd think!

• Options
    DUE and I were both in the same place to start the game and we both had shotguns. We PM'd each other about being on a team literally at the same time (the PMs crossed in the ether) and were loyal to each other the whole way. Couldn't quite get to our desired honorable day 7 shotgun duel though.

Yeah, as far as I could tell from the public chatter it was going to come down to one team I wasn't on, the lone wolves, and the me-JPants-Preda-jdark much-looser teamup, hence the OK Corral post. I was doing my best to guess just who was what right up to the end.

• Options
    @Ardor I could probably whip this into a web game, might make it easier to run.

That would be up to you! I think running this 1-2 times a year helps it not get too tiring to everyone. Perhaps the next time I consider running this, I'll send you a note and see what you'd think!

I vote for more than 1-2 times a year. Maybe 1-2 times every three months?

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    I was amused and took practical joker...also figured i would die day 1 and i got wash and sir fab rng in my zone. I took a double ax to the face

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I took Practical Joker. I desperately wanted to Paper Fan someone to death.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    So, I had a lot of fun in this game despite becoming really annoyed at letting myself get beaten on day 4.

I took Star Student as my perk, which seemed at least as good as the other lone wolf perks, if not better.

Again, that has the extra Unarmed attack per night, which would have been great at combating poor starting items.
    Lucky helped there too, although I threw out my extra item (grenade) night 1 (at Bliss) to no effect (unfortunately).
    Perceptive and Practical Joker also seemed powerful in the right circumstances, but I never got poisoned and found my Switchblade by simply walking to the Cliffs, so I didn't need to steal one or take the BB Gun from that death match.
    However, Nimble was probably the main draw card here, as natural defense is so good for lone wolves, although there was a bit of a glitch day 3 where the 2 item restriction was overlooked.

Largely though, the only perk that wasn't useful was Insightful, as that got me killed.
    No-one was going for the escape route as it was simply easier walking from zone to zone killing people, rather than trying to search in each zone and keep everyone in the zone from murdering you.
    So when I tried to sell the information, the buyers turned homicidal instead of grateful.

This led to only the Bliss/Drez lighthouse alliance finding one of the three necessary escape items, and I don't think anyone found the radio or whatever was necessary to pay the ferryman.
    This was pretty much the opposite position to the team games, where the whole team spends all their time in one spot, and so they can afford the manpower to search.
    At which point Insightful becomes useless for the opposite reason, in that since everyone is searching, everyone finds everything anyway.

So.. maybe join Perceptive back up with Insightful or otherwise buff Insightful, because it's just not useful IMO.

Overall, I liked this game a lot better than the team game, because people were actively doing things rather than grouping up and waiting for conflict to come to them.

I don't think it was possible for any player to escape though.
    Maybe next time an individual game is played all the escape items can be found without searching?
    If you wanted to balance this with Insightful, there could also be a fair few non-combat and useless items floating around pretending to be escape items, and only Insightful has the list of correct ones....

Thanks for hosting Ardor!
    (P.S make me lone wolf again next time pls. I promise i won't be friends with anyone next time)

discrider on
  • Options
    We searched the beach dry- there was nothing left to find when we left. I was suspicious about your escape conditions.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    We searched the beach dry- there was nothing left to find when we left. I was suspicious about your escape conditions.

?

Honestly that was a huge tell that I was a lone wolf.

I think the beach was the likely dock, the Signal Flare was in the lighthouse because slight correlation, radio was likely in the mountains/town, and the valuables in the town. (I don't think this was RNGed.)

But to search, you needed to either be the last person standing in the area, or have enough people allied together to both kill off your opposition and search.

Which was why I was pretty surprised that you all attacked me on Night 4, rather than searching the light house.

My gut was telling me you were all going to do this anyway, but my head said 'No that is dumb why would they do that if they are trying for the escape condition'.
    So I compromised and set up C4 in the final area, to kill you all. And me. But I was already dead. From day 4.

discrider on
  • Options

?

Honestly that was a huge tell that I was a lone wolf.

I think the beach was the likely dock, the Signal Flare was in the lighthouse because slight correlation, radio was likely in the mountains/town, and the valuables in the town. (I don't think this was RNGed.)

But to search, you needed to either be the last person standing in the area, or have enough people allied together to both kill off your opposition and search.

Which was why I was pretty surprised that you all attacked me on Night 4, rather than searching the light house.

My gut was telling me you were all going to do this anyway, but my head said 'No that is dumb why would they do that if they are trying for the escape condition'.
    So I compromised and set up C4 in the final area, to kill you all. And me. But I was already dead. From day 4.

In fairness, our original plan involved me and Preda doing the shooting and trying to win as lovers and the last dudes standing, but then I fell asleep and turned into a beach bum for the rest of the game. A heavily-armed gunslinging beach bum, but still!

• Options
    Crucial, need-to-know information that was not included in the original details.

• Options
    Thanks for the thoughts, discider!

Nobody took insightful, so only discrider knew the components to escape. This time around, I had enough deactivators for 4 people and only one way out. You needed a radio (hidden at the cliffs) to get the information to get out. The radio let you contact a boat, which would tell you to signal them from the village, cliffs, beach or lighthouse and the lighthouse had a hidden briefcase full of cash to pay them with. If someone used the signal flare, the boat shows up the next day with everyone seeing the flare.

In the first game I ran, one school was the hacker group from the film. They started with a laptop and needed to collect a specific amount of explosive weapons to escape. I could try something like that in the future.

• Options
    Ardor I could probably whip this into a web game, might make it easier to run.

I vote for more than 1-2 times a year. Maybe 1-2 times every three months?

I love hosting these, it's finding the time and not making everyone sick of me that are the primary concerns! I can see how things fare in a few months. If there is a dry spells for games, I have little to prepare in running this one at the very least. I mean, if anyone else wants to run it, most of what you need is in the OP. I can provide a few other details as well. The only hidden information really, is exactly how to escape.

• Options
    Crucial, need-to-know information that was not included in the original details.

This was not built into the game, but was simply a description of the metagame theory around searching.
    I mean you could search whenever you liked, but then some random with a switchblade kills you that night.

• Options
    You needed a radio (hidden at the cliffs) to get the information to get out. The radio let you contact a boat, which would tell you to signal them from the village, cliffs, beach or lighthouse and the lighthouse had a hidden briefcase full of cash to pay them with. If someone used the signal flare, the boat shows up the next day with everyone seeing the flare.

Haha! So my guessing was completely wrong.

Although this underlines how if team 'escape the island' hadn't decided to All Out attack me in the lighthouse day 4, then they would have been better placed to escape, as the briefcase was still hidden there.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    ooOOOOoooOOoooo

oooOOooooOO

really fun game @Ardor ! I'm glad I could be a part of it.

Poor @Wash EB and I both had shotguns by RNG and he just ended up in the same place as us. Just as he said we sent PMs proposing an alliance of shotgun styled justice with the intention of doing our best to get to the end game. We ended up actually pretty effective but unfortunately I missed my move action one day and it threw us back some. That and all of you were on the other side of the map :snap:

great game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    One thing that's struck me since the end of the game is how powerful Survivor plus Toughness would be.
    Did you manage to stack these @Bliss 101?

discrider on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Bliss101 and I sexed each other in the Lighthouse. True story.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I'm super sad that I didn't get much of a chance to use the BB gun. That combined with Practical Joker? INSANE. That's 5 shots of 2 damage 60% chance, and with all out? 80% chance. I got so damn lucky when I pulled that on my starting item.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I would've kept that but for the two item limit imposed by Nimble..
    Also I was in the Lighthouse with a Switchblade as well.
    Really not the best circumstances to test Practical Joker out.

discrider on
  • Options
    One thing that's struck me since the end of the game is how powerful Survivor plus Toughness would be.
    Did you manage to stack these @Bliss 101?

In retrospect it would have been pretty hilarious, and I considered it early on, but picked Unarmed Mastery instead, because armed with two Tracking Units I needed some way to kill people. Didn't do much for me, but I guess it helped me kill Gizzy.

MSL59.jpg