As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• Options
    Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular
    Is there one of those for Morrowind? because NPCs have a bad habit of standing right in the middle of hallways and trapping me.
    I am uncertain about a console command. However, there is this.

Move Or Take My Place Mod for Morrowind.

And just for your information, because of you talking about Morrowind, I've reinstalled it and filled it full of mods and have been wandering about the Bitter Coast for hours.

You monster.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about loading up Morrowind soon so I can attempt to actually get through the game for once (I played it way back in the day, couldn't motivate myself beyond murdering Dark Brotherhood and guards at the time).

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 with an integrated Radeon 8000 series, so while I can run the game in WINE and have no issues with performance, I don't like to push my luck.

Any recommendations on mods I should use?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Is there one of those for Morrowind? because NPCs have a bad habit of standing right in the middle of hallways and trapping me.

"ra" will reset all of the npc's position in the current cell. I had a problem where NPC's would drift over the course of my game and this helped a lot.

Also "tcl" is the no-clip command.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm thinking about loading up Morrowind soon so I can attempt to actually get through the game for once (I played it way back in the day, couldn't motivate myself beyond murdering Dark Brotherhood and guards at the time).

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 with an integrated Radeon 8000 series, so while I can run the game in WINE and have no issues with performance, I don't like to push my luck.

Any recommendations on mods I should use?

I'll go through what I was recommended for a first-time player who had never played an Elder Scrolls game, then some stuff that I've heard tell are cool for veterans.

NECESSARY STUFF:
    Official Morrowind Patch: At the bottom of this page. You don't need this if you have Tribunal and Bloodmoon, iirc.
    Morrowind Code Patch: Fixes an asston of problems.
    The Morrowind Patch Project: There's two of these to download and it's a fan project that's kind of a pain in the ass to put together. So..
    first: 1.6.5b You, um, want to grab the one from AbuseMyNipples.biz :| Because the SendSpace link is broken.
    Then you go here: UESP Morrowind Patch Project page and grab the 1.6.6 patch. Unfortunately, you need the 1.6.5b version, because 1.6.6 is just an upgrade / patch of the patch.

Note that if you don't have Bloodmoon and Tribunal, you want to get the 1.2.2 version, I think.

MAKE IT LOOK PRETTY:
    Morrowind Sound and Graphics Overhaul
    some details: http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/
    This is actually a compilation of all the "best" graphics and sound mods, in an easy installer that you can use to cherry-pick what you want.

As a note: There's one issue with this that causes a kind of table not to show up, but it doesn't crash the game, it just puts a generic polygon in place. My computer also didn't like the arrow and spell particle effects mod, and I get noticeable slowdown in large fields of wavy grass. Other than that, everything's gorgeous.

QUALITY OF LIFE STUFF:
    Run Faster!: If you hate the base walking speed, this will make you walk and run faster. As a warning, this increases the base movement of EVERYTHING, so NPCs and enemies will ALSO move faster, leading to some interesting situations where you get blindsided by Nyx Hounds and such.
    House in Balmora This puts a nice little abandoned house in Balmora up on the hill near the Hlaalu House compound. It's named [something] House in Balmora, I forget, but it's empty and full of chests to stash your stuff. SUPER CONVENIENT.

OTHER STUFF:
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Mods

Some suggested mods, including Tamriel Rebuilt. I'm not bothering with that stuff myself yet, because I wanted to play the (mostly) vanilla game with just Quality of Life things added.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to give Morrowind a serious go since I never finished it when it was new but then I remember the combat and interface. It's tougher to find consensus on the mods to fix those compared to Skyrim or Oblivion.

There's also the fact that I feel like I haven't explored Skyrim as much as I could even with finishing all the faction quests. I really need to tweak the uncapper to slow down leveling so I can take the time to explore more of the game before my character becomes a demi-god.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I'm tempted to give Morrowind a serious go since I never finished it when it was new but then I remember the combat and interface. It's tougher to find consensus on the mods to fix those compared to Skyrim or Oblivion.

There's also the fact that I feel like I haven't explored Skyrim as much as I could even with finishing all the faction quests. I really need to tweak the uncapper to slow down leveling so I can take the time to explore more of the game before my character becomes a demi-god.

In that case, you may as well wait till Skywind happens. Someday. Eventually.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Skywind will be ready around the time we get TES IX for the Nintendo Playstation 7

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Remastering old games seems to be the new hotness, be nice if Bethesda rounded up a team to give Daggerfall and Morrowind that sort of loving. Total pipe dream though.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Skywind development is pretty convincing. Obviously takes a while with volunteer work but they keep showing updates and it seems to have momentum and professionalism behind it.

For now I am waiting for it before I try Morrowind as I think I would struggle to get into Morrowind with the older mechanics and visuals. Oblivion is tricky enough as it is.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Is not that I don't believe them, it's just the scope of the project itself.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »
    Skywind development is pretty convincing. Obviously takes a while with volunteer work but they keep showing updates and it seems to have momentum and professionalism behind it.

For now I am waiting for it before I try Morrowind as I think I would struggle to get into Morrowind with the older mechanics and visuals. Oblivion is tricky enough as it is.

If you haven't ever played Morrowind, I (blasphemy) support this wait. Plenty of other games to play until they finish Skywind. I've got all sorts of good feels bound up in Morrowind (I was that kid in the group of computer game friends who would not shut up about this game, finding new books, theories on the Magna-Ge, etc. etc. etc.) so that when I got back to it with some pretty modest graphical improvements, my reaction when I get ambushed by three cliff racers in the middle of the night while walking to Balmora is," THIS IS AMAZING! LOOK AT THOSE MOONS!" instead of " What the hell are these and why are they squawking?". It probably (further) helps that I started with Daggerfall, and not even on my own computer. I got to try to make it work whenever I was at my friend Mike's house in the 6th Grade. Most of the time, the furthest we got before it pitched a fit was making a character.

But, good golly. It had me hooked. So when Morrowind came out, warts and all, it was just so infinitely more polished than Daggerfall that I was in love with it.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I really, really like this quest Anum the Swamp knight has embroiled me in. All of these little details as well as that NPC I talked to in Falkreath earlier. Such joy.

Oh, and did I mention the joke NPC that's a dig at Black Isle's and Troika's similar character?

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Been reading this thread lately and it has me jonesing to play Skyrim again. I think this time I'll stop at a few minor graphical enhancements like lighting and maybe something to make the flora look better instead of trying and failing to get any ENB type stuff to work.

Anyway, the real reason I came here is to gather ideas for a character. I'll be using alternate start - live another life, so what would you fine folks suggest as a race and playstyle combo? I've traditionally played Nords and Imperials almost exclusively, so I'm looking to break out of the box a bit. I'm open to anything, though I find khajit a but dumb looking and tough to roleplay as. Suggestions?

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    I really, really like this quest Anum the Swamp knight has embroiled me in. All of these little details as well as that NPC I talked to in Falkreath earlier. Such joy.

Oh, and did I mention the joke NPC that's a dig at Black Isle's and Troika's similar character?

Tell us about the joke NPC.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Been reading this thread lately and it has me jonesing to play Skyrim again. I think this time I'll stop at a few minor graphical enhancements like lighting and maybe something to make the flora look better instead of trying and failing to get any ENB type stuff to work.

Anyway, the real reason I came here is to gather ideas for a character. I'll be using alternate start - live another life, so what would you fine folks suggest as a race and playstyle combo? I've traditionally played Nords and Imperials almost exclusively, so I'm looking to break out of the box a bit. I'm open to anything, though I find khajit a but dumb looking and tough to roleplay as. Suggestions?

Alt-start has some fun race-based RP starting options. e.g. dockworker argonian or forsworn breton. I used that to decide my race a couple of times.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Enig wrote: »

Alt-start has some fun race-based RP starting options. e.g. dockworker argonian or forsworn breton. I used that to decide my race a couple of times.

Foresworn start, you say? Intriguing.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    All this Morrowind talk has me antsy in my pantsy for a replay. How are you guys going about the modding? Mod Organizer? Nexus Mod Manager?

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The Morrowind Code Patch requires registering for their forum, which they say is free. Yet when you attempt to register, none of the options are actually free...?

EDIT: Nevermind, they're tricky. Select nothing, then create account. Bugmenot was chock full of this answer as logins...

Thawmus on
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »

That's what I had trouble with.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    So far, everything works except MSGO. I've discovered from their wiki that it doesn't work with WINE, period. Sadface. I'll survive.

EDIT: It appears to just be an issue with the installer. Theoretically, I could cherry-pick what they have in that package and manually install all of it. Maybe another day.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »

Registering for a new Nexus account (which you need to download mods) has a step where you need to select how much you want to pay for your account. None of the options available are 'nothing, I want a sodding free account, thanks'. To achieve that, you have to select no options and just hit next. Which is sort of sneaky and counter intuitive in how it's arranged.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to go back to Morrowind myself. I finished the main game and Tribunal, but never did Bloodmoon, in part because...
    I thought that becoming a werewolf during the questline was non-negotiable. Well, it is, just like in the Companions line in Skyrim; but just like there, there's an option to quickly cure yourself of it. Which is good, as I really don't want that as a permanent thing.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

Make up whatever race you want, then use the 'Surprise me!' option of Alternate Start. Whatever it gives you, be that. It starts you in a necromancer cave? Be a necromancer. It starts you in the Dark Brotherhood? Be an assassin. Etc.

I did that and my current playthrough started me at the Companions hall with a full suit of steel armor and a two handed weapon. SO I am a two handed weapon heavy armor swining machine. Until night falls, then I go on werewolf rampages across the countryside.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    The Alternate Starts are generally not that awesome once you are thrown in unless you really put some imagination behind your character's back-story. For instance, the Forsworn start sounds awesome, but all it does is drop you in a cave with some Forsworn who are not hostile to you and gives you some armor. After that, you pretty much are on your own as every other Forsworn in the world is still hostile and no one recognizes you as a Forsworn.

I think that's why I tend to default to picking the 'Left for dead' start, which basically just has my character waking up on the side of the road with nothing but the clothes on his or her back. It's clean, I have to scavenge, and I'm not bothered when no one anywhere recognizes me. I do also enjoy the bandit start from time to time, if only because I get some basic equipment and can kill all the other bandits in my starting camp for extra gear if I don't start with stuff I want.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I often just go with the "Camping in the woods" start. You're pretty close to Helgen so can get the main quest started quickly if you want to advance the story enough to get shouts.

And if not, it's still a nice location to start in with a modest amount of equipment.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ugh I hit a wall in Morrowind where I have a whole lot of weird random quests I picked up from random people (I really need to learn to never talk to people on the side of the goddamn road) and I have to find this cave near Ald'rhun to tell a crazy man that I accidentally stole his daughter while trying to do the main quest...

seriously, it was the only door in his tower that I could lockpick successfully, so I did, because that's how I roll, and instead of treasure there was this woman who was like THE CRAZY MAN IN THE TOWER KIDNAPPED ME AND THEN FORGOT I WAS HERE so I'm like well sure stealing ladies is in my wheelhouse WINK WINK

but now I can't find her crazy hermit dad's cave

Relatedly I went to take a nap in the Ald'rhun Mage's Guild and I got that thing where I knew someone was going to attack me but instead of the Dark Brotherhood IT WAS A FUCKING ASH ZOMBIE

DO YOU KNOW HOW TERRIFYING IT IS TO WAKE UP AND SEE A DUDE WHOSE EYEBALLS AND NOSE HAVE BEEN CARVED OUT STARING IN YOUR FACE

JESUS CHRIST BETHESDA

• Options
    Ugh I hit a wall in Morrowind where I have a whole lot of weird random quests I picked up from random people (I really need to learn to never talk to people on the side of the goddamn road) and I have to find this cave near Ald'rhun to tell a crazy man that I accidentally stole his daughter while trying to do the main quest...

seriously, it was the only door in his tower that I could lockpick successfully, so I did, because that's how I roll, and instead of treasure there was this woman who was like THE CRAZY MAN IN THE TOWER KIDNAPPED ME AND THEN FORGOT I WAS HERE so I'm like well sure stealing ladies is in my wheelhouse WINK WINK

but now I can't find her crazy hermit dad's cave

Relatedly I went to take a nap in the Ald'rhun Mage's Guild and I got that thing where I knew someone was going to attack me but instead of the Dark Brotherhood IT WAS A FUCKING ASH ZOMBIE

DO YOU KNOW HOW TERRIFYING IT IS TO WAKE UP AND SEE A DUDE WHOSE EYEBALLS AND NOSE HAVE BEEN CARVED OUT STARING IN YOUR FACE

JESUS CHRIST BETHESDA

When I played the game back i college anything related to the Ash wastes freaked me out. They did a great job with creepy monster designs and playing up corpus and diseases.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Oh My God wrote: »

Tell us about the joke NPC.
    Random elf tries to give her dog away. She says its annoying and follows her after she saved its life from a group of trolls.

Sound familiar?

• Options
    Do any of the mods out there overhaul what you fight inside dungeons? I was tinkering around a new game yesterday trying to figure out why I was so tempted to reinstall Fallout: New Vegas despite how big a step back much of it is compared to Skyrim and realized a big part of it was due to finding draugr very boring opponents but finding them in so many places. I figure I can avoid most of the quests that send you into tombs but was still curious.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm not aware of any mods that replace draugr, but Revenge of the Enemies adds new abilities to a ton of creatures (including draugr). You could also use OBIS to make bandits more interesting.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So what's the word on this "25 hour gameplay mod made by a single 19 year old as a way to get Bethesda's attention" thing? Good? Bad? Decent?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Does it have a name?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Nocren wrote: »
    So what's the word on this "25 hour gameplay mod made by a single 19 year old as a way to get Bethesda's attention" thing? Good? Bad? Decent?

Falskaar? Pretty boring, with some balance problems if you're playing a mage. It's worth trying I guess if you want a bunch of new content, but keep expectations low.

There are only so many times the bad guy can show up to gloat while i'm locked in a cutscene and unable to just burn him to death with fireballs instead of watching him walk away before I lose interest in your story.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    There are only so many times the bad guy can show up to gloat while i'm locked in a cutscene and unable to just burn him to death with fireballs instead of watching him walk away before I lose interest in your story.
    For me, that number is 'one'. I've been thoroughly spoiled via a heritage of tabletop RPGs. Is the enemy monologuing, and we're not literally shackled / in a jail cell / trapped in a prismatic sphere etc. etc.? Waste him with your crossbow. When the hostiles give you a freebie, you bloody well take it.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    It's bad enough in a game like Borderlands 2 or whatever, but a series like The Elder Scrolls that lives and dies on its open world-do anything gameplay? Completely unacceptable. You need to write a story with the player's freedom to do whatever the hell they want in mind, and if that means they attack the bad guy during the monologue then that's what happens. Rewrite it so it's a lieutenant delivering a message or something, but don't lock things into a cutscene because "quiet, it's story time now."

Of course even Bethesda itself has trouble with this sometimes so it's not unexpected a mod maker would fall into the same trap.

*shakes fist at Ancano*

Aistan on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

I thought it was fun, but I blew through it pretty fast as I recall. I just did whatever the main quest was.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Hell, I've played pre-gen tabletop content that shut me down because of monologuing. Though it tends to be a mix of horribly written content + GM who doesn't know how to improvise, so forces the content to move forward.

"She begins to tell you all-"

"I shoot her in the face"

"-that you are sinners, and that she-"

"Does she have Dodge? If not, I have a raise, that's even with the Vitals penalty."

"-will purge you of your sins."

"18 damage."

"Several of her henchmen grab you, and they tie you to the chair, while she pulls out a long knife."

"So, she took no damage?"

"She stabs you in the throat with it, doing 25 damage."

"I fucking hate this shit"

You know where they get the idea that it should work this way? Video games.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Worst part of Morrowind is how awful the leveling system is

• Options
    Worst part of Morrowind is how awful the leveling system is

I've never played it enough to know how bad it really is. Oblivion has always kinda held that trophy for me, and I don't know if it should relinquish it to Morrowind or not.

This discussion has been closed.