As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    A horse I found along the frozen coast keeps following me, even after I sent it downstream...over a waterfall.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Bleh.

So the unofficial patch mod makes it so you can't borrow a horse from a befriended horse-seller.

I am so ready to uninstall this shitfest.

Your experience is basically why I never download any unofficial fix packs.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Bleh.

So the unofficial patch mod makes it so you can't borrow a horse from a befriended horse-seller.

I am so ready to uninstall this shitfest.

Your experience is basically why I never download any unofficial fix packs.

All of the things Regina brings up are pretty minor issues and aren't really "issues" so much as annoying changes. The many, many actual fixes are probably worth having the wrong ore in one cave and not being able to get away with stealing horses from friends.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Yeah. For most people, the changes probably won't even be noticed and if they are, they won't matter.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Those mods are very large grab-bags.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'm on Team Regina with this one. The problem with fan patches is that they never just fix the bugs. They also have to add a bunch of design changes (that are usually kinda shitty, tbh).

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Same here. That's my impression at least from reading patch notes. They fix the bugs but also decide glass armour should be 15% easier to break because it's glass, duh.

I'm sure on balance the fixes outweigh the fans second-guessing the devs, especially with the earlier games, but I would rather correct issues on a case-by-case basis than major overhaul.

• Options
    I haven't read the USLEEP-notes, but the USKP-notes kept that kind of stuff moderate at worst.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't know, most of the complaints I hear sound like fixed exploits.

• Options
    There aren't many exploits that are relevant to me, as I'll just cheat.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I have the Riverside Lodge, but I can't seem to make it a "real home" so that I can adopt a kid? Do I need to adopt a kid first, then cast the spell to make it a home?

*edit* I do have Multiple Adoptions installed.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    How does Immersive Amazing Follower Tweaks compare to old AFT in terms of bugginess? It's a much more recent upload, but the changes seem specific and few.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

All of the complaints are fixed exploits, though some people consider those exploits part of the game and get salty when they are fixed. I think as well, some of the things that are changed (like what ore can be found in a mine) are debatable on whether they are actually in need of fixing.

Overall, I don't really get it myself because the number of bugs fixed by the Unofficial Patch is massive and the various small exploits they corrected really are by and large inconsequential. People are free not to use the patches of course, but I personally would never go without them.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'd maybe use the older versions of it, before it started getting loaded down with nitpicky stuff, but as far as I can tell the older versions aren't available anywhere.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I am now at "I installed too many quest mods." I thought this one was Interesting NPCs, but it was actually a mini-quest from Expanded Towns and Cities.

Currently working my way through the Interesting NPCs quests. Being a Battlemage (heavy armor + 2h weapons; conjuration + destruction) with SPERG = I am stupid overpowered. Like, ludicrously stupid overpowered. But I'm also almost level 60 and I think that's just Skyrim at that level, you get to a point where either you sneeze and everything dies, or you have so much defense and so many hit points that it just becomes a boring yawnfest of whacking the other guy's HP until he dies.

I would start over again at a lower level, but it is so much work to fill all the prereqs for Interesting NPCs quests that I'm like, eh, fuck it, I'll just be a neon exploding dunmer vampire god, whatever. Though if anyone has suggestions for mods that make combat more interesting, I'm all ears. Note: more interesting, as in, requiring actual strategy on my part. Putting this stuff on Legendary just means I get bored faster because things just have more HP, while the level of "if something sneezes on you, you die" isn't quite what I want either, since 1. I will just chug potions & we'll be back at square 1.

Biggest caveat: My current mouse is getting on in years, and the right mouse button basically doesn't work for video games anymore. I can't 2h cast spells, I can't block at all, thing doesn't work. So, until I get a new mouse, anything that relies heavily on timed blocking or other stuff that uses the right mouse isn't an option :(

... speaking of, heyyyy, who has suggestions for a multi-button mouse that is inexpensive? I like the ones with the num pad on the side.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Naw, I like exploits, too. I may not bother using them, but I appreciate that Fortify Restoration is a Restoration-effect. It's funny.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Tried an ENB for the first time in a while, since the only time I tried it I hated how pitch black it made everything but was able to find one that was supposed to not do that this time.

Got about 2 FPS with it once I left the Skyrim Unbound character creation area, so i'm not sure if I fucked up a setting or what, or if that's just what happens and my computer can't handle it.

• Options
    Oh, wow, I never knew that Adrianne Avenicci can do the blacksmithing-tutorial.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

Really? She's the only way I've ever seen it... other people do that?

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

Really? She's the only way I've ever seen it... other people do that?

Alvor in Riverwood. The beginning quest leads you to him, which is why most people get the tutorial from him. It's missable though, because he goes fucking crazy if a dragon attacks Riverwood and often gets chumped pretty fast.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    It's always the first blacksmith you talk to. Since everyone in the game uses the same six voice actors, they didn't have to make a lot of different versions of the quest.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I wonder if Gray Mane can do it.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I know for a fact that the blacksmith in Falkreath can offer the tutorial.

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

All of the complaints are fixed exploits, though some people consider those exploits part of the game and get salty when they are fixed. I think as well, some of the things that are changed (like what ore can be found in a mine) are debatable on whether they are actually in need of fixing.

Overall, I don't really get it myself because the number of bugs fixed by the Unofficial Patch is massive and the various small exploits they corrected really are by and large inconsequential. People are free not to use the patches of course, but I personally would never go without them.

Not true the Skyrim fan patch does things like moving the crazy Talos preacher to jail if Whiterun is conquered by the Imperials which is neither a bug nor an exploit. The supposed "bug fixes" are more like 25% bug fixes (at best) and then a whole bunch of random changes to pump up their numbers so they can claim 20000 bug fixes or whatever. That being said the vast majority of mods assume you have it installed so it is best practice to have it installed.

The same can't be said about the unofficial fan patch for New Vegas (Mission Mojave not YUP) that changes so many random non-bug things that it breaks a fuckton of mods.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's stuff like this:
    "This fire with embers and associated light in DB sanctuary are now never disabled. After killing Astrid this fire is the only interactive object available in Nazir's AI package, and it was odd to see him warming his hands over cold ashes."

Maybe Nazir is crazy, or maybe he's getting ready for a gymnastics routine and doesn't have any chalk.

Like, whatever, it's awesome that someone cares about it to invest a lot of time and if they want to interpret the original intent that's fine. I guess ideally the patching and the changes would be separated.

• Options

Not true the Skyrim fan patch does things like moving the crazy Talos preacher to jail if Whiterun is conquered by the Imperials which is neither a bug nor an exploit. The supposed "bug fixes" are more like 25% bug fixes (at best) and then a whole bunch of random changes to pump up their numbers so they can claim 20000 bug fixes or whatever. That being said the vast majority of mods assume you have it installed so it is best practice to have it installed.

The same can't be said about the unofficial fan patch for New Vegas (Mission Mojave not YUP) that changes so many random non-bug things that it breaks a fuckton of mods.

Oh THAT'S what happened to that dude in my first run through! I thought maybe vampires or a dragon got him. I actually kind of missed his crazy ass.

• Options
    Praetorian MagePraetorian Mage Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I would start over again at a lower level, but it is so much work to fill all the prereqs for Interesting NPCs quests that I'm like, eh, fuck it, I'll just be a neon exploding dunmer vampire god, whatever. Though if anyone has suggestions for mods that make combat more interesting, I'm all ears. Note: more interesting, as in, requiring actual strategy on my part. Putting this stuff on Legendary just means I get bored faster because things just have more HP, while the level of "if something sneezes on you, you die" isn't quite what I want either, since 1. I will just chug potions & we'll be back at square 1.

Biggest caveat: My current mouse is getting on in years, and the right mouse button basically doesn't work for video games anymore. I can't 2h cast spells, I can't block at all, thing doesn't work. So, until I get a new mouse, anything that relies heavily on timed blocking or other stuff that uses the right mouse isn't an option :(

Until you get a new mouse, you can circumvent the blocking issue with Dual Wield Parrying. Its block hotkey works just as well for blocking under normal circumstances: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52979/

As for combat mods, there a few I know of.
    Revenge of the Enemies 2016. Supposedly better balanced than the previous version: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40491/
    Ultimate Combat: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36006/
    Combat Evolved. It's intended to be used alongside another combat mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56147/
    Vigor - Combat and Injuries. I've only heard of this one, never tried it myself: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72180/
    Dynamic Potions isn't a combat mod per se, but it gives you the option to change potions to heal over time and not stack, which means you can't just pause the game and be back to full health/stamina/magicka in an instant. That adds some tactics and challenge to combat. Although if you decide to do that, you'll probably also want potions to be a little stronger and/or last longer, which is also fully customizable: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/47521/

Ultimate Combat does have a timed blocking function, but you can either disable it or use Dual Wield Parrying like I mentioned. There's another combat mod called Deadly Combat that I've heard causes problems, so be aware of that.

... speaking of, heyyyy, who has suggestions for a multi-button mouse that is inexpensive? I like the ones with the num pad on the side.

I have a Logitech G600, and I really like it: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G600-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B0086UK7IQ

Praetorian Mage on
  • Options
    What's wrong with Deadly Combat? I've tried pretty much all the big ones and that's my favourite.

• Options
    What's wrong with Deadly Combat? I've tried pretty much all the big ones and that's my favourite.

I don't know, exactly. That's just what I heard when I started looking into combat mods recently.

• Options
    Man, Arthmoor's Cutting Room Floor led me to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUjlygJgf7c

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Does this allow the same effect on NPC's?

• Options
    edited May 2016

Personally, I'm glad those were cut, but I guess it's good that they're available for those who want them.

Praetorian Mage on
  • Options
    Huh, fortifying a school of magicka with multiple enchantments will make the skills free....interesting. Selling off this crap and starting anew with rings and masks.

• Options
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Personally, I'm glad those were cut, but I guess it's good that they're available for those who want them.

Yeah, that reminds me of the magic effect in Morrowind, which I modded out.

• Options
    Ah yes. The plastic wrap effect.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Has anybody used Birds of Skyrim? What's the performance-hit like? Do they get in the way a lot? Looks a bit cluttered, but I guess pigeons don't make sense otherwise.

Edit: Oh, no, somebody made metro in Skyrim.
    map12.jpg

PLA on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

Not saying you're wrong because I haven't looked into it myself, but how do you know this isn't a bug? There could be comments in the code that Heimskr is supposed to be in jail after that event, but Bethesda just never implemented it correctly so he remains.

Even in the event that it is not, this still seems like a pretty sensible change, and not something I see worth complaining about which was the point of my post. Some might see this (and other) change as excessive to the point where they decide against installing the patch, and that's cool. But for me, I don't see the problem.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Has anybody used Birds of Skyrim? What's the performance-hit like? Do they get in the way a lot? Looks a bit cluttered, but I guess pigeons don't make sense otherwise.

map12.jpg

What's that picture of?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

map12.jpg

What's that picture of?

Looks like a series of interconnected dungeons someone modded into skyrim to function in a similar manner to the metro system in fallout 3.

Seems cool if it keeps me from Dragon attacks. If one had the frost survival mods, this would prove......useful.

This discussion has been closed.