As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] MH4U released! Go to new thread.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Bomb palicos are super annoying for me (Duals) as I got knocked around by explosions far too often.

Not anything unsurprising if you're used to the two shakalaka cat masks from 3U, although mercifully I can now use the Thief palicos to get the best part of those masks without the drawbacks.

I usually run a mix of heal and stamina IIRC.

Unrelated...

Wycoon, we need to talk about your material trading opportunities. You just sent me after both a Zinogre and a Gravios. I did that, despite the Zin being especially belligerent and carting me twice, and what did I unlock?

Sand Barioth claws. Seriously? That's it? And from what I can tell the only thing I can do with them is make an SnS? From now on I want to know what's on these shipments before I decide to clear the problem that ALWAYS blocks them.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Is there a good guide/resource for managing Palicos?
    1. Right now I'm basically just recruiting every Palico I come across. Should I be more discerning?
    2. How do I decide which Palicos to send on Meownster Hunter missions? Does level/enthusiasm matter (since I can't even see this information when selecting Palicos?
    3. How do you decide which Meownster Hunter route to take? Is it just always to do the full thing, always one at a time, or always to the star if one exists?
    4. At what level of enthusiasm should you definitely put Palicos in rest mode - 3? 2?

1: Once you have the base five of a type to max your aces forte, then start trying to find ones with max skills (3 quest).

2: Level does matter. The icons on the monster show what color attacks they use, select colors that win against them (there is a color wheel) and pressing y a few times switches the display to palico level when choosing who to send on meownster hunts.

3: which ever has the scraps you want.

4: I always do a full 3 because the best monsters are always at the end.

5: they function fine at any level above 1 enthusiasm. At least I've had no problems.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I run a mix of heal and support cats right now. I have 3 heal/2 support and the second cat I bring is support.

The trap drops are worth not going all heal for and I still get detox horn out of the deal.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Does dismissing a Palico unequip their gear before they go away?

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Does dismissing a Palico unequip their gear before they go away?

It does, which is a bit mean when it's the gear they joined with.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Welcome on board, Mr Snuggles! Can I hold your sword for a second? Cheers. *punt*

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Welcome on board, Mr Snyaggles! Can I hold your sword for a second? Cheers. *punt*

Come on, gotta meet the cat pun naming quota.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Bombing cats are terrible if you're not gunning

The small bombs they throw will knock you all over the place

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Can someone explain bouncing to me? I remember seeing from the conversation a bit ago that you do less damage on attacks that bounce, but that you don't do less damage because you bounce. I also recall seeing that bouncing is related to sharpness, but everything I see suggests that sharpness is just a damage modifier.

Separately, monster regions seem to have a damage resistance rating, but not a "bouncability" factor for lack of a better term. This in mind, is bouncing just a byproduct of damage done? Specifically, do you bounce at a certain threshold of %damage done on a given hit, or is it independent of damage altogether?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Can someone explain bouncing to me? I remember seeing from the conversation a bit ago that you do less damage on attacks that bounce, but that you don't do less damage because you bounce. I also recall seeing that bouncing is related to sharpness, but everything I see suggests that sharpness is just a damage modifier.

Separately, monster regions seem to have a damage resistance rating, but not a "bouncability" factor for lack of a better term. This in mind, is bouncing just a byproduct of damage done? Specifically, do you bounce at a certain threshold of %damage done on a given hit, or is it independent of damage altogether?

If you bounce, you deal reduced damage.
    Each region of a monster has a sharpness threshold. If you meet that threshold, you do not bounce. This threshold can change if you break a monster's armor, for instance.
    Additionally, some attacks cannot bounce, I believe. They are unbounceable. No longer bouncy.
    Bounce bounce bounce.

You only bounce due to this threshold and the sharpness of your weapon. Doing very little damage to a monster will not in and of itself cause a bounce. However, if you bounce, your damage will be significantly mitigated for that hit.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    According to posts earlier in the thread, bouncing is an indication that the following is true:
    IceBurner wrote: »
    current sharpness multiplier * special sharpness amplifier * monster body part's defense multiplier (as a whole number, not decimal or %) < 25
    So when you bounce, you know that you're dealing reduced damage (either due to high armor or low sharpness) but the bounce itself doesn't "do" anything (to your damage; obviously you are staggered).

edit: changed to be more correct

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    According to posts earlier in the thread, bouncing is an indication that the following is true:
    current sharpness multiplier * special sharpness amplifier * monster body part's defense multiplier (as a whole number, not decimal or %) < 25
    So when you bounce, you know that you're not dealing very much damage (either due to high armor or low sharpness) but the bounce itself doesn't "do" anything.

But this doesn't have anything to do with the absolute amount of damage you do, it has to do only with the sharpness of your weapon and the body part you're hitting. If you somehow had a weapon that infinite sharpness and only dealt one damage per hit, it would still rarely if ever bounce.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Rend wrote: »
    So when you bounce, you know that you're not dealing very much damage (either due to high armor or low sharpness) but the bounce itself doesn't "do" anything.

But this doesn't have anything to do with the absolute amount of damage you do, it has to do only with the sharpness of your weapon and the body part you're hitting. If you somehow had a weapon that infinite sharpness and only dealt one damage per hit, it would still rarely if ever bounce.
    Yes, but my understanding was that low sharpness/high armor reduces your damage. So bouncing is an indication that you are dealing reduced damage, but does not itself actually do anything. Which means, for example (if I'm understanding things correctly), that the attacks that never bounce are still dealing reduced damage, they just don't bounce.

edit: oh yes I see; I should have been clear in my original post that the "not very much damage" is relative.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Rend wrote: »

Yes, but my understanding was that low sharpness/high armor reduces your damage. So bouncing is an indication that you are dealing reduced damage, but does not itself actually do anything. Which means, for example (if I'm understanding things correctly), that the attacks that never bounce are still dealing reduced damage, they just don't bounce.

Ahh, I see. Well that is news to me. I suppose the advantage to unbounceable attacks is that they don't screw up your flow then!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I'm hoping next week to get back into some Monster Hunting. I stopped for a while because I couldn't get into any online sessions because I'm a bit lower level than most.

So when I do hopefully I can get some hunting on with you guys. I miss playing. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So I'm hoping next week to get back into some Monster Hunting. I stopped for a while because I couldn't get into any online sessions because I'm a bit lower level than most.

So when I do hopefully I can get some hunting on with you guys. I miss playing. :(

If you need someone to help you out through the lower ranks I can pitch in! Though I'm only hr7 so if thats lower than you uhh well shit!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Got a Daora in solo last night time was running out when it went down. It would have been a perfect no cart run if I hadn't stepped into one of its whirlwinds when I had to fight it on its little perch.

Also picked up the brutal tigrex this morning, who aside from a couple hasty retreats wasn't that bad, he continually wore itself out which I appreciated (thanks asshole!)

Now I need to hunt the rajang which scares me a little.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

If you need someone to help you out through the lower ranks I can pitch in! Though I'm only hr7 so if thats lower than you uhh well shit!

Ack...sorry. I didn't mention I was talking about 3U on the wiiu. I haven't gotten to get 4u yet.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Ahh I see well that would put a cramp in the hunt yes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    wreckzorswreckzors Registered User regular
    so I am dumb... but is this something I can play on my PC... or do I need a wii or Gameboy or something?

• Options
    Only on the 3ds. Its specifically a hand held only game.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    wreckzorswreckzors Registered User regular
    damn... it seemed like a really neat game and is a shame I can't get I on PC... oh well.

• Options
    I don't think the MH series has ever been on pc, its primarily been a hand held series after the first ps2 game with some forarys into console.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    MH is on PC as an MMO, and thus decently different, but only in Japan and I think Taiwan.

MH is best as a handheld game anyway, imo.

• Options
    Yeah I agree I like playing short rounds at work... err I mean on breaks...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I don't think the MH series has ever been on pc, its primarily been a hand held series after the first ps2 game with some forarys into console.
    The 3rd genereation of MH got 3 different console releases to my knowledge. The Wii, Wii U, and PS3 versions. And all but the PS3 was in the US. There is also an MMO on the 360 that I think is still going.

• Options

I deliberately have not been bringing my 3DS to work for the last three weeks. I also have a book (or three) to read so it's a convenient compromise.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I deliberately have not been bringing my 3DS to work for the last three weeks. I also have a book (or three) to read so it's a convenient compromise.

I do it for some low impact stuff, like charm farming or fishing. But every once in a while I do a big fight and I do worse because I'm totally worried someone will see me even though literally everyone at my job fucking plays shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ogretzogretz Registered User regular
    Back on the topic of Palicos quick since I just caught up on the forum talk, the protection palicos are not worth it. I've tried them when gunning solo and they do not taunt much. When they do taunt they stay close to you anyway so you still can't get any breathing room like you can in online multi.

friend code: 2165-5516-7098
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    MH is on PC as an MMO, and thus decently different, but only in Japan and I think Taiwan.
    Also Monster Hunter: Frontier G.
    And I'd personally much prefer to play it with a proper gamepad/k&m, because I only play it at home anyway, but different tastes and all that.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    And I'd personally much prefer to play it with a proper gamepad/k&m, because I only play it at home anyway, but different tastes and all that.

Yeah I had to get an ergonomic grip for my 3DS to play it without hand cramps. Would definitely prefer a gamepad.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    When do you get more routes for the Meowster Hunters?

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

Yeah I had to get an ergonomic grip for my 3DS to play it without hand cramps. Would definitely prefer a gamepad.

Speaking of which, there's an XL circle pad pro available for less than $20 with Prime right now!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LGO88E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the Japanese version but it's identical to the American version that's $60.

• Options
    KiTA wrote: »

It took me a while I can't remember what I was doing instead, but I want to think its based on the main quest, I could be wrong.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or do monsters really like to all hang out in the same area? I've flung so much shit I feel like I ought to start dressing the part (for the biology skill).

Also, I actually got stuck in a wall while fighting an inflated zamtrios. I used a farcaster to get out rather than wait for it to move away, since there was another one in the area (9_9), so I couldn't tell you whether it's permanent.
    Seems like there is a recurring theme of monsters pushing/flinging you into the area wall and then standing on you, especially in sunken hollow and frozen seaway. I don't care for it.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    That's why 3U was the best, you had mobile and console with the same game and save.

Knowing how well 3U worked going forward to 4U there's zero reason, other than some kind of extra level of stupidity with Nintendo's online services compared to the normal amount, they couldn't get online play for both the 3DS and Wii U versions. And then they could finally add the one and only, superior control scheme with right stick attacks making everything a single button press. No more of this two or three buttons at the same time with a direction nonsense.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I have one of the Hori extended slide pads. It's so comfortable to use and I love being able to use the camera the face buttons at the same time.

It's honestly the main reason I am on the fence at all about the new 3DS, I just love it so much.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    I opened up the second and third routes pretty close together around the 5 and 6 star village mark. I want to say doing the scared palico's requests opened them but can't for sure since I've been doing key quests to progress and fulfilling the other villager requests as they pop up.

• Options
    I just got my second high-rank route after beating Caravan Seregios. I want to say the additional low-rank routes were tied to specific Caravan urgents as well.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Ignore me!

PrjctD_Captain on
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna