As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bags

grumpyimpgrumpyimp Registered User new member
This may be a stupid question, but are there restrictions on what you can bring in a bag? Obviously weapons would be out, but things like DSLRs or other gear I wasn't sure of. Given that they are checking bags I didn't want to get turned away at the door and have to go back to my hotel to stash something.

• Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Just weapons. I've brought a DSLR, food, water, no problem -- they're not looking to restrict that stuff.

ilta on
  • Options
    DeathJest3rDeathJest3r Registered User regular
    http://east.paxsite.com/safety-and-security

At-Door Security is checking for drugs and weapons, but you may want to be more specific about your camera gear to see if it will be allowed in the expo hall. The mods will have to give a definitive answer on that. In general cameras are allowed throughout convention center though so you won't be turned away from the door.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    You might have trouble with booze in its bottle, possibly even a flask, but I doubt it. You aren't supposed to drink alcohol in the BCEC outside a specific designated bar zone, and they won't want you bringing in your own. But then again, the front door security isn't looking to bust you for that (the roaming security / enforcers might though).

ilta on
  • Options
    grumpyimpgrumpyimp Registered User new member
    Cool. Plan on drinking at the bar anyway. Was more a question about cameras and such, since long lenses can cause problems in crowded spaces.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    http://east.paxsite.com/safety-and-security

At-Door Security is checking for drugs and weapons, but you may want to be more specific about your camera gear to see if it will be allowed in the expo hall. The mods will have to give a definitive answer on that. In general cameras are allowed throughout convention center though so you won't be turned away from the door.
    Moderators here are not actually official representatives of pax. The people with PA Staff tags on their avatars are, though :)

That said, I am pretty sure that cameras are allowed everywhere, although some panels request no photography or at least no flash photography. Also for things like tripods and monopods, etc, be wary of traffic lanes and be ready to move if an Enforcer tells you to move.

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    mod edit: nope

zerzhul on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Uh, maybe don't give advice on how to circumvent PAX policies.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Last year I brought my 24-70mm 2.8 L on my Canon 5DmkII. It's a beast, especially with the hood on it. The security guys didn't even look at it twice, at the door or on the floor.

• Options
    TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    Last year I brought my 24-70mm 2.8 L on my Canon 5DmkII. It's a beast, especially with the hood on it. The security guys didn't even look at it twice, at the door or on the floor.

Cameras are everywhere at PAX -- and that's a great thing! There's a lot of fun moments, amazing displays, and awesome cosplay to capture. So long as you're not impeding the flow of traffic; chronicling PAX is typically fine. There may be some exhibitors/panelists that request that you don't photograph whatever they're showing for their own reasons and I think if you're following Wheaton's Law you'll respect those wishes. The only other time I can think of where your camera wouldn't really be welcomed is if you find yourself in the BCEC for Will-Call on Thursday. There may be some things set up or being set up while your there and cameras have typically been prohibited from being used. Don't think I've ever seen an issue with someone simply having a camera, but security has seemed to have "No Photography" orders and will ask those seen taking photos not to do so.

Tripods were not allowed in the Main Theater when I worked there a couple of years back. I'm honestly not sure how far the policy extends, but they do take up space, can obstruct other attendee's views and are a potential safety hazard near the aisles where they're most likely to be used and most easily tripped on. YMMV on where and when they're allowed though.

As others have said, food is perfectly fine too. While I'm sure the BCEC would love to sell every attendee copious amounts of their overpriced food, they don't take issue with people bringing in food for personal consumption. The same goes for non-alcoholic drinks as well I believe.

JQ1qRPt.png
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    The door security is run by the BCEC and not PAX, thus it is always possible that they will not allow something that might be allowed by PAX rules. That being said they are really looking for things that are obviously weapon like and could pose a danger, which PAX generally does not allow as well. The biggest thing we allow but they might not is pocket knives, so you might want to leave those at home. I'm not positive what their rules are on those this year, but if you don't need it, leave it at home. They understand about props and that kind of thing and if you can show its blunted, not pokey, and not dangerous, all the same things you will need to show the PAX security folks at weapons check, you should be fine.

Bottom line, if they raise a fuss about something, you can try escalating to their supervisor types which will be in the area, but we don't have any sway really as its not our deal. If you are stopped with something that you feel should have been allowed in feel free to come let the Info Booth or Security Enforcers know so we can be aware. Hope that helps.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    jasonakaramjasonakaram NHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    This is my trusty Con pack. It's been with me since the first PAX East. It's toted around snacks, drinks, and more electronics than I can count, but it's also carried wooden and foam swords, a flyswatter (awesome swag from Earth Defence Force), a multitool (which did not contain a knife) and a lot of of other oddities over the years, and I've never had any problems getting in with it :)

307vus8.jpg

jasonakaram on
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    @jasonakaram Just a suggestion: you may want to blot out your badge number so that it cannot be read. It's been said in the past that is how counterfeits are made.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    jasonakaramjasonakaram NHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Thanks @Le_Goat, I didn't even think of that :)

jasonakaram on
  • Options
    Gilman3Gilman3 Registered User new member
    It was a Sunday and we packed up our hotel. I had tossed a flask from the previous nights in my bag without thinking. An enforcer checked it, saw it, grabbed it, dumped it, put it back in my bag and didnt say a word. I respected that greatly because it was a silly mistake on my part. (And i liked that flask)

Basically, dont bring in booze.

• Options
    GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    If you plan to use a Tripod I suggest using a Monopod or Stabilizer. Alot easier to work with in Convention settings with alot of people moving around. I plan on having my DSLR in my backpack along with some gear, snacks, and water.

mYPBAfl.jpg