As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPod Cases

FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
hey dudes

i got my shiny 80gig and its shiny and i'm thinking I need a case

i was looking at thin silicon ones but few are simple anymore and they are expensive

then there are all the aluminum and plastic ones

thing is i don't want it to suddenly feel like a brick. it's already pretty heavy with the big HDD.

what do you guys use? does anyone have the big capacity ipod with a hard case? is it much bulkier?

Faricazy on

• Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    http://www.speckproducts.com/vid-toughskin.html

Thats what I use. I got it because it looks like it is good for some shock absorbtion/overall protection, and it has the screen cover that doesn't directly touch the screen. It also comes with an alright belt hookup, though I've never used it since I honestly don't own a belt...
    However, if you keep your iPod in your pocket it is a little annoying. The way its built, it gets caugt up in your pocket really easy and can be a little annoying to pull out.
    From what I can tell, the difference it weight is almost unnoticable.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    seems bulky

also i read those catch a lot of lint and stuff

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you plan on keeping it in your pocket I'd say that scratches are inevitable. Little bits and pieces will get trapped under the case and rub on the ipod. If you get the bulkier case you have better protection but kind of sacrifice a lot of the aesthetic value of the ipod. If you want to go with a silicon solution I would advise getting those clear protectors that apply directly to the surface and then putting it into silicon skin.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I would definitely recommend an InvisibleShield (www.shieldzone.com) or a BestSkinsEver (www.bestskinsever.com) along with AppleCare or a similar warranty. Both of these (they're more or less the same; BestSkinsEver is significantly cheaper, but has a slightly worse replacement plan) pretty much completely protect the iPod from scratches and cosmetic damage, and then if anything goes really wrong you can just take it back to Apple.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    how about acrylic cases?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    namely, does anyone have this:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/agent18-videoshield-kit-for-ipod/

i like how the stand which I will not use is detachable and it comes with a pretty awesome thin clip

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have this, the Sidewinder from Marware. It is big, bulky, and plastic, so perhaps not to your liking, but it does everything a case should do and then some. It has prompted my peers to refer to it as an "iPod from the eighties," but at least it's not scratched up, mo' fuckas.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah I kinda want to be able to carry the thing even if im not hauling around a bag or a coat

www.gelaskins.com

those look pretty cool

i wonder if i can combine them with the Agent18 case

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For what it's worth, the case I suggested fits in my pocket.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i have an eyeglass case that fits in my pocket

but then it looks like i have an erection

and when i do have an erection, it gets in the way

do you see what i'm saying here?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I bought a sport case with an armband for my 80 GB. It's really convenient when I'm on my bike or at the gym, I can strap it on, it's not in the way, and it's not in a pocket that it doesn't really fit into in the first place.

Outside of these settings however, the added bulk is a bit of a pain in the ass. If I pull out the strap it can clip onto a pocket or whatever but that looks kinda douchey, and it's a little much for most shirt pockets. If I'm wearing a jacket it's fine for an inside pocket, but yeah. If you wear tight pants or pants with small pockets, an 80GB iPod in a case is kind of going to be inconvenient. It fits in some of my pants though, so I just coordinate pants that accomodate the iPod with shirts/jackets that don't and vice verse.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've got this one, I took off the clip that it comes with, and keep it in my pocket. I have my iPod in my pants (:winky:) 5 days a week, and hardly notice it at all. I can't really fit anything else in the pocket, but it doesn't seem like I have a massive bulge (is that a con?). I find it's both light and durable, as I've dropped it twice while listening to my iPod, and it didn't even skip. There's no dents or anything, just your minor scratches. Dust/lint does collect through the small openings, but I just use a can of compressed air to blow it away when it becomes too unbearable. The opening at the bottom is also big enough that you don't have to take off the case to charge, and it works with those FM transmitters as well.

It seems Contour has made a clear case as well, which might be what you're after. Sadly, I had no choice, but I still love my case.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Do you have the 30 or the 60/80 gig?

how well does the clip work?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have had my 20gb iPod photo for damn near forever, and I have to say that I find the best way to keep it from getting scratched is to actually not use a case. Before you guffaw and move on to the next post, hear me out. I initially purchased an iSkin silicone case that was supposed to be the best soft-shell option available. While my iPod was in this case, it received an incredible amount of damage due to items becoming stuck in between the shell and the device and a large amount of screen damage from the screen-protector built into the case itself. The case was also a magnet for any pocket lint and always looked terrible because of it. By the time the hard drive failed (after just under a year of regular use), the iPod looked like it had been through a war.

I cashed in on the warranty and decided to try something else with the new player I received. Instead of using a fitted case like everyone seems to, I picked up a small leather pouch similar to the felt pouch that comes with the new iPods now and simply kept the iPod in that pouch within my pocket. In the ~9 months I've had the new iPod, I have no obvious cosmetic flaws, despite it being stored only in this pouch whilst travelling amidst a variety of sharp, pointy and heavy objects within my backpack on the way to and from work. It also makes the iPod much more accessible and really much more attractive, as whenever it's slid out of its pouch you don't have any ugly, bulky case mucking up the aesthetics.

So my advice is to just stick with the felt case the iPod came with and don't be stupid with it (by placing, say, keys in your pocket with your iPod). Hell, with an 80gb in your pocket chances are nothing else will fit in there anyways.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Do you have the 30 or the 60/80 gig?

how well does the clip work?

I've got the 30 gig, and the clip seems pretty sturdy. What are you trying to know about the clip? I can try it out later, but I really don't have any experience in using it, as it adds some extra bulk.

The nice thing about Contour is they have specific cases for each iPod HD size, so you're sure to find one that fits it snugly. There is absolutely no room for anything to fit in there, besides the obvious lint/dust issue. I seem to have forgotten to mention, that the scroll wheel is not protected, but that was never an issue for me, as I never had anything else in my pocket. This also allowed me to go back and forth, control the volume through my pants, though I'm sure this looks quite odd to bystanders.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Yeah, I would definitely recommend an InvisibleShield (www.shieldzone.com)

I totally agree. Get a case as well for impact protection and carrying. But this stuff is fantastic and keeps the ipod looking great. I'm getting one for my dive computer and palm.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    huh

well thanks guys

i'll see how i do with just the pouch over the week and if i decide i need a case i think i'll snag an Agent18 one.

Faricazy on