As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey you, I saw that. Put it back! [Kids]

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

@Shadowfire Are you at Boston Children's? My youngest daughter had heart surgery there in May of 2012 to repair a ventricular septal defect. Do you know who her surgeon will be? My experience with Dr. Emani was really great. (And unlike a lot of surgeons who have poor manners, he was really good at putting us at ease.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Sending all the positive thoughts I can create your way for that beautiful and tough little lady.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    @Shadowfire Are you at Boston Children's? My youngest daughter had heart surgery there in May of 2012 to repair a ventricular septal defect. Do you know who her surgeon will be? My experience with Dr. Emani was really great. (And unlike a lot of surgeons who have poor manners, he was really good at putting us at ease.)

Yes, we're at Boston children's. It's Dr Quinonis I think? I'm not sure how to spell it. He also has excellent bedside manner though, and he and the nurses have been just great so far.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    @Shadowfire - Don't worry, Children's is the shit. Their job is pulling miracles out like it ain't no thing. Also - poops are serious business for babies.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    They're heating her up and starting testing, but it all sounds good so far!

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    She's out! I just saw her! She's so pretty!

They had a bit of a complication with her heart rate. One of her arteries (the one that gotta behind the heart) is a bit smaller than they thought. Her blood pressure dropped a lot on the table, but some medication got it back up. Her chest is still open now, and they'll be watching her closely for the next seventy two hours, but the worst is over.

My baby is ok! My mother in law is in there now with my wife, we're cycling through family members before everyone leaves for the night, then I get to see my baby girl again!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Medical science is just da best.

• Options
    Mom is off sleeping in our cell*, I'm in with Jaina right now. I'm going to try and doze a bit, but I know the room is going to be active so we'll see how that works. She has two nurses tonight dedicated just to her.

*By cell, I mean our room. It's an 8x8 room with a bed (a gym mat on a box), a nightstand, and a conference chair. There are two bathrooms with showers on the floor for 20 rooms. It is tough, but it's a bed right here on premises so I'm ok with that. Good night thread!

• Options
    Not the worst night last night. She did pretty well, though her lactic acid is kind of high. They're reevaluating every hour or two and keeping us informed, but good news mostly so far.

With her chest open and them doing work I haven't really been able to look at her much, but what little I saw she looks fantastic.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    @Shadowfire, this is literally the hardest thing about being a parent. Everything else will be easy in comparison.

• Options
    A little good news: they were going to start nutrition iv tomorrow, but they've moved that up to later today. Yay for food (-like materials)!

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    wishing you guys all the best luck in getting your little family healthy, @Shadowfire!

we just walked in the door after the 15 hour flight home. the killer with this leg was that it left YVR at 11:30pm - so rex wasn't able to sleep properly until 4 hours past his usual bedtime, and that was in a cramped cabin with his mum, on the boob mostly. but he was an utter trooper, making friends as usual with his cheesy grin and clappy hands. he probably only whined for an accumulative total of ten minutes. we had hiccoughs with transport at the airport here in sydney too.

man, coming back to a house after almost a month away with a kid under 1 really feels like moving home entirely. everything we had that's still here seems useless now - all we've needed is in our suitcases, so you just kinda want to dump everything else out and start fresh.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I cannot believe my little lady just had her 3rd birthday party today. Wow. She had so much fun. And me and my wife are worn out!

• Options
    Updates.
    The encouragement at the start of the day turned a bit sour as the day went on. They backed off giving her nutrients and have kept her support running. She has had a solid lactate number for the whole day. The doctor is puzzled because either the number should have gone up to signify something was wrong, or it should have gone down as the heart healed. She said she's never seen it stay stable like this before.

They found one of her kidneys was larger than the other. But a concern now, but it could mean increased UTIs in the future.

They think there might be an obstruction of some kind in her belly that's causing the lactate issues, but they really have no idea.

So, two steps forward, two back. I have a massive headache. The wife is sleeping in the room with Jaina, and I'm in the sleep space trying to rest. We'll see where this heads tomorrow. Thanks for letting me rant, folks.

• Options
    Fingers crossed for you all.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    It went from 5 down to 2 overnight! I'm on my way to see her now.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Remember everyone, stay safe.

hxL5Tqwl.jpg

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Updates.
    The encouragement at the start of the day turned a bit sour as the day went on. They backed off giving her nutrients and have kept her support running. She has had a solid lactate number for the whole day. The doctor is puzzled because either the number should have gone up to signify something was wrong, or it should have gone down as the heart healed. She said she's never seen it stay stable like this before.

They found one of her kidneys was larger than the other. But a concern now, but it could mean increased UTIs in the future.

They think there might be an obstruction of some kind in her belly that's causing the lactate issues, but they really have no idea.

So, two steps forward, two back. I have a massive headache. The wife is sleeping in the room with Jaina, and I'm in the sleep space trying to rest. We'll see where this heads tomorrow. Thanks for letting me rant, folks.

If you need real sleep - check out the Inn at Longwood Medical. It's a bit bigger and has decent beds, and is only a half block away.

• Options
    Jaina did well today. She had a period where she was going very hypo and hypertensive back and forth, but they got it under control. We think it was just her body protesting from the drainage. She has been on nutrients through IV though, so that's fantastic news. We're hoping that they'll be able to close up her chest in the next few days, though it sounds like the worst case scenario is Friday.

Schuss, I appreciate the thought, but I'm not leaving Children's until Jaina is out of the CICU. Thanks though.

And if anyone has suggestions for food for us that is somewhat affordable, I'm all ears. Au bon pain is already getting old, the "galleria" mall food court is terrible, and I'm not sure I want to go to Bertucci's every night.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    IVF round two: begin!

... by which I mean it's time for my wife to start jabbing herself with a chemical cocktail of synthetic hormones to stimulate egg folicle growth.

Procreation is so sexy, guys.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    We did IUI so I kind of get it. The drugs weren't horrible for my wife, but they weren't great either.

• Options
    Jaina did well today. She had a period where she was going very hypo and hypertensive back and forth, but they got it under control. We think it was just her body protesting from the drainage. She has been on nutrients through IV though, so that's fantastic news. We're hoping that they'll be able to close up her chest in the next few days, though it sounds like the worst case scenario is Friday.

Schuss, I appreciate the thought, but I'm not leaving Children's until Jaina is out of the CICU. Thanks though.

And if anyone has suggestions for food for us that is somewhat affordable, I'm all ears. Au bon pain is already getting old, the "galleria" mall food court is terrible, and I'm not sure I want to go to Bertucci's every night.

Understandable. Just wanted to throw the suggestion out considering it's super-close and has discounts for patients/family of patients (probably a longer walk through the bowels of Children's if they're still building the food area). It's attached to the Galleria thing.
    Food-wise - check grubhub etc. if you don't want to leave the area (I'd be the in the same boat). As you want to be close, I'm not sure how far is ok, but up a subway stop is Fenway, which stops off right next to sweet cheeks and some other stellar restaurants.

• Options
    Update time. Unless something out of left field happens, they will be closing her up today! We're looking at around 2pm or so for the procedure to start. They took her off the paralyzing agent for a while yesterday and she had some movement which is fantastic. We'll have more info soon I hope!

• Options
    So, I was trying to order a Frostwolf Pup stuffy for Jaina, but my debit card wouldn't work on the Blizzard store when I was trying to send it to somewhere other than our billing address. I contacted them to see if there was any way they could help.
    What's this?
    190tdnog2ov8.jpg
    yxwpi3213nfu.jpg
    Yes, Blizzard just sent us a care package anyway. A mug for late nights, the stuffy for Jaina, and a book to read to her. <3

• Options
    edited April 2015
    that's incredible

(too awesome to simply click the awesome button)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Oh... here I was thinking "Hehe, Jaina (Proudmoore), what a nice name...probably has nothing to do with the video game"

• Options
    Jaina was taken off the paralyzing agent overnight last night, and now she's moving around some! I got to see her pretty little eyes before she decided she was done with me and closed them again.

Her vitals have been much more stable today which is great. She's very much not out of the woods, particularly with how fussy she's been, but lots of progress!

• Options
    Late night update.
    They removed her left arterial line today, as well as her catheter and another line that I can't remember. The best part is they added a feeding tube, so she's getting real food now!
    There is a doctor who has an, I think, Australian accent who two days ago was saying that this was a very sick baby. Today on rounds she said this was a baby who had turned a major corner over the last 24 hours.
    Still a long road, but the last couple of days have been really great. We're feeling really exhausted, I think whatever adrenaline we had running is finally waning, and we're feeling it.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the updates Shadowfire, I've been thinking about your family and your little one every day.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Oh... here I was thinking "Hehe, Jaina (Proudmoore), what a nice name...probably has nothing to do with the video game"

IT DOES NOW

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    We couldn't think of a name for a girl, and my wife really likes Warcraft. She thought up Jaina and it worked.

She is 100% Horde, but the Horde is severely lacking in female characters. Not like the Alliance is much better, but at least one name works well in the real world.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    We couldn't think of a name for a girl, and my wife really likes Warcraft. She thought up Jaina and it worked.

She is 100% Horde, but the Horde is severely lacking in female characters. Not like the Alliance is much better, but at least one name works well in the real world.

Sylvanas would totally have worked too! :P

• Options
    Wouldn't work with our last name.

Or anywhere that's outside of a computer.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    While I know baby pics are always more cute - I thought I'd share some of my kid pics here :)

I posted this in the TV thread, but it works here. My son and niece went to Survivor night with us to a local bar/restaurant and met the cast member Dan from Maine. It's one of the better pics we have of the two of them together.
    vlnw842s0kub.jpg
    While I'm sharing pics of my little family, I have to share this one. As folks here know, we have my niece just about half the time (we call ourselves her weekend dad). One thing I rarely mention is that most people assume she's our daughter...not just because of how often we have her, it's because of the somewhat creepy resemblance between my wife and her. Here they are after a concert this winter...
    jphv0ucl606s.jpg

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Oh, yeah, there's a strong family resemblance there. It's kind of like how my brother and my youngest uncle are both slowly turning into copies of my grandfather.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    18 months sleep regression sucks.

It's been over an hour and he's not showing any signs of actually going to sleep, just standing up and screaming in his cot. He's made himself throw up twice by screaming so much that he coughs, then coughs so much he's sick.

We had 6 months of really great evenings after a year of having to sit in the same room as him as he went to sleep, and now it's back to square one.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That's three times he's screamed himself sick. Controlled crying worked last time but this time I'm not even getting past the minute mark before he's worked himself up so much that he's sick.

I'm down to his last bedtime bunny, too. That'll be fun if he's sick on this one, too.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
This discussion has been closed.