As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey you, I saw that. Put it back! [Kids]

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    My thought is just feed your kid what works best for you. My wife exclusively breastfed both of our daughters until they were big enough to eat solids, and our oldest nursed until she was almost 2 before we finally just stopped giving it to her to focus on making sure the new baby would have what she needed. Plus, the older one at that point was just doing it for comfort anyway and she easily weaned.

We have a freezer full of milk, my wife pumps during the day while at work, etc. I just consider us lucky because I didn't have to spend money on formula. But if she had had a hard time producing or whatever, we'd just have used formula and that would be that. One of our closest friends had a hard time getting her little boy to nurse, and then even after that she just really didn't want to be pumping at work and all that when she went back to work, so she switched him to formula pretty quickly. That's fine too.

Just feed your kid in the way that works best for you and your baby, and fuck anybody who tries to judge you for it.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I spent a little while the other night researching 'expressing' or 'pumping' or whatever you want to call it. I may have freaked myself out a little bit. It's not all that daunting of a task, is it?

Also, now i'm totally researching baby-wearing and cloth nappies.

Also completely daunting topics.

A major key to almost any parenting topic is that if you approach your baby with patience and love almost any way you do (topic x) will be fine. Do (topic x) the way that is best for your situation and baby because both are unique. You'll almost never find the ideal solution on the first try so never ever feel like you're doing something wrong if you're doing what works.

Now please bombard us with questions because collectively we are a wealth of knowledge and experience!

• Options
    There are not enough agrees in the world for that post.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Where's the Mandarin version? James isn't going to get into Harvard just speaking one language.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My son, pointed at me in the kitchen. Usually he does that if he has something to instruct you, but he had a mouth full of food so as he chewed he way through his fruit I asked "Am I supposed to do something?"

He swallowed, and proudly announced "You go pee!"

I think he just told me to piss off.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So the Baby Show is a big event here and it's later this month.

We've already decided that we're going to go and already bought the tickets, but today we also picked up tickets to go to a Cloth Nappy seminar by the Nappy Lady. I'm super keen to go and learn and see things.

I'm also going to be looking at the baby wearing gear and stalls, trying things on, and such. Also, baby sign language as well.

Is there anything else that anybody can recommend looking at and learning about if you were going to a giant exhibition/con for all things baby?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    So the Baby Show is a big event here and it's later this month.

We've already decided that we're going to go and already bought the tickets, but today we also picked up tickets to go to a Cloth Nappy seminar by the Nappy Lady. I'm super keen to go and learn and see things.

I'm also going to be looking at the baby wearing gear and stalls, trying things on, and such. Also, baby sign language as well.

Is there anything else that anybody can recommend looking at and learning about if you were going to a giant exhibition/con for all things baby?

For reviews, I found baby gear lab is pretty good, but a lot of it depends on how you're going to use things. Many of the top rated strollers, for example, are super expensive as they're lightweight and built for easy use in the city. If you're not planning on walking everywhere constantly, you can use some different options (we went with an awesome Jeep stroller that was 1/3 the price of the big names). If you have specific items, I'm sure a ton of us here can chime in on what's worked or not for us. A lot of the stuff is pretty useless or only useful for a month or two.
    As Peen noted, the key to a lot of this is to approach things with love and patience, while also realizing you will have less time and flexibility than you do today. We all want to be the best parents we can, but if something looks like it's going to be a ton of extra work vs. an alternative option, just understand it may not be feasible.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cloth diapers have been kind of a mixed bag for us. So we went with BumGenius brand diapers, ones with a pocket that you stuff, that come with microfiber inserts. This was after my wife did a bunch of research. In practice they work...most of the time. We live in an area with very hard water, so that kind of threw a wrench into things. The mineral build up in the inserts both allows bacteria to flourish faster, meaning we need to bleach them about once a month or they get smelly, but the mineral buildup also reduces the absorbency. We eventually got to a point where the microfiber inserts just weren't holding liquid properly.

So my wife did more research and found out that people also use these "flour sack" towels as inserts. They're just big, thin, cotton towels. You can get them for about a buck each from WalMart or wherever. Initially those didn't seem like they were going to do the job as replacements, but after a wash or two they seemed to "condition", and now they do a great job of handling the urine output from our 10 month old.

Except of course for overnight. Sure, it's great when your kid is getting up every 4 hours. That's plenty of time to do a diaper change. And then our kid started hitting points where she'd go 8 or 9 hours without waking up, and it was just too much for the cloth diapers. It seems like only the space age technology of disposables is capable of easily handling her output for a long overnight stretch like that (seriously, those things are insane). So now we use cloth during the day, and a couple disposables overnight.

I will say that the cloth diapers are 1000x nicer than disposables for dealing with your baby pooping. Like yes, on the one hand, you need to rinse the diapers off and wash them. On the other hand, cloth diapers seal in the stench pretty well, and provide a nice, large safety margin when you're wiping off your kid. Sometimes with a disposable and a squirming baby, it's like "If anything moves more than 1" more than it's supposed to, there's going to be poop everywhere."

We also invested the 50 or 60$ in a diaper sprayer that hooks into the toilet water supply, and it's been very useful. Would highly recommend.

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    We have been using the bum genius diapers and I can not sing their praises enough.

We are going into the ninth month of use and I have noticed that some inserts seem a bit less fluffy, which I will attribute to constant washing, and may need to be replaced. However I have not noticed any significant change in absorbency.

We have some disposables for emergencies and what not, but I have purchased maybe three packages if diapers since 43 was in the cloth.

Also, our water bill did not take a significant hit.

• Options
    Depending on the size of your kid you might need to transition to the shells and liners model; Bum Genius fit our first daughter until she potty trained but our second kid's pushing high percentiles in height and weight and she blew through the Bum Genius around age 1 1/2. The shells and liners are cheaper and nicer for older kids anyway and they generate less laundry so you probably won't mind.

Reading Rainbow is on Netflix now and I strongarmed my daughter into watching it and don't feel remotely bad.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Welp, finally feeling the kicks now. Apparently, mini-Muzz is attempting to be Chuck Norris, since all I get are what feel like weak roundhouse kicks to the gut.

It's not painful, but it's not the joyful flutter co-workers keep telling me. Actually, it feels exactly like what I'd expect if I was incubating some alien monster inside of me. Which kind of makes sense, I suppose.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Wait until you get kicked in the bladder.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Bladder.jpg

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    The anatomy in that drawing is confusing the shit out of me.

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    we are having the damnedest time getting 43 to sleep in his crib. He is sleep regressing hard.

He normally nurses, falls asleep on or near one of us and then we can transfer him. There is a 45 minute window from when he first goes down where if he wakes up at all during it he is UP for at least another hour. Lately that 45 minute window has been extra sensitive.

yeeesh

• Options
    We've been so lucky with our second, the 6 month old. Our now 27 month old was difficult in so many ways. She was very needy, and would not fall asleep without being nursed to bed for the longest time. There were maybe 2 times that I managed to rock her to sleep when my wife wasn't at the house and she was tired, but that was it. She's great now about going to bed, but yeah. But our 6 month old is such a goof. She has only wanted to sleep face down her whole life, which of course scared my wife and I because she wanted to do it even when she was too little to be lifting her little head up.

But she's so mellow 90% of the time so it's so nice. I don't even have to put her to sleep. If she's remotely tired I can just stick her in her crib and she'll just put herself to sleep. And she learned to flip between belly and back at about 8 weeks so we no longer worry for her safety. =)

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Wait until you get kicked in the bladder.

So my sister-in-law was doing dishes one day with her husbad when suddenly there was a large puddle on the floor. My brother-in-law starts freaking out trying to get ready for the hospital while she just tried to get him to stop. Eventually she had to explain her water didn't break. The baby kicked her bladder and she had peed her pants. Kids start doing their best to make you hate them early.

• Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    kf3llfymm4fb.jpg

They made it! Arden Evelyn Shirley (5lbs 14oz) and Imogen Faye Charlotte (5lbs 4oz) were born yesterday, August 5th at 12:30pm (Imogen) and 12:48pm (Arden).

More later when I'm not so exhausted :)

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Mayday wrote: »
    Grinch, congratulations! I hope she does great with you (and also that her bioparents do better with their next baby...).

Meanwhile, our babby has been at home for three days now. We've learned to identify pretty much all her requests (pretty much just milk, farts and sleep - poop doesn't bother her, wtf). She's also incredibly calm, cries maybe twice a day at most. In fact, this has been the third night and we were only awake for 15 mins (me) and 1,5 hr (wife). It's like we're going for some kind of record.
    So now we wait until the two week mark to see if she'll have colic problems. If not, it's constant serenity until she starts growing her teeth.

I love this little creature to death, you guys.

Ours is 6 weeks. Started like this, but around week 3 it went to the stereotype. Now she'll just scream for like 2 hours right when we want to go to bed for no real reason, and I am very tired.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Our li'l Sprocket starts pre-K next month. The major upside of that is we stop paying daycare ~800 bucks a month and start paying the school district a little less than half that. Money, hell yea!

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Sent my son off to Colorado for a month. He comes home for a week after that, then off to Costa Rica for 6 weeks. After that, we have no idea. He's taking a year off school before college, but managed to sabotage our gap year plans through his laziness and apathy. So now I'm trying to find programs he can still apply for that he will actually do, and won't cost a fortune.
    If he had any inclination for travel, I'd just buy him a ticket to go somewhere and tell him to have fun. As it is, without some sort of structure, he'd just stay in a room and stare at a wall before going out on his own volition.
    Ugh, I wish I had his free time.
    In other news, we have a spare room (whole apartment, really) in nyc, only smells mostly like teenage boy, that my husband refuses to airbnb. If anyone* would like to stay here cheap while he's gone.

*Well, not anyone anyone. You know how it is.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    We've been so lucky with our second, the 6 month old. Our now 27 month old was difficult in so many ways. She was very needy, and would not fall asleep without being nursed to bed for the longest time. There were maybe 2 times that I managed to rock her to sleep when my wife wasn't at the house and she was tired, but that was it. She's great now about going to bed, but yeah. But our 6 month old is such a goof. She has only wanted to sleep face down her whole life, which of course scared my wife and I because she wanted to do it even when she was too little to be lifting her little head up.

But she's so mellow 90% of the time so it's so nice. I don't even have to put her to sleep. If she's remotely tired I can just stick her in her crib and she'll just put herself to sleep. And she learned to flip between belly and back at about 8 weeks so we no longer worry for her safety. =)

tell me of your majiks

• Options
    FortyTwo wrote: »

tell me of your majiks

I wish I had a secret to tell you.

Our first daughter: From day 1, screamed like a banshee if you tried to so much as swaddle her. Wouldn't fall asleep without nursing. Once at about 8 weeks old screamed for 20 straight minutes until we realized she just wanted her socks taken off. Wouldn't take a pacifier but still needed comforted like she had one, so used my wife's breasts non stop for that purpose. She's a really well behaved 2 year old so far and has a wonderful personality, but as a baby, whew.

Our second daughter: From day 1, slept on her own with no problems. Wouldn't take a pacifier either but rarely even fusses anyway. She only cries when she's hungry or if she's been doing tummy time and playing with toys for a while and just wants to be held, but most of the time she just plays. As soon as you can see her eyes get tired you can put her in her crib and she'll put herself to sleep. It's an entirely different world for us. I don't feel like we deserved it after the first either, because our experience with our oldest was nothing compared to what some people go through with colicky babies and what not.

• Options
    Man, it's such a fun new world when your kid starts talking, but at the same time it's bittersweet because it's just hammering home the fact that they're growing up so fast. Our 26 month old has really started picking up on her speaking little sentences and phrases. This morning she got out of bed about an hour ahead of regular schedule, so after she ate some breakfast and hung out, she thought it was time to go.

So she grabs my hand and says "Daddy we go." Walks me to the back door and starts grabbing the knock saying "I go see Ritty(Ricky)." She of course was wearing nothing but a pullup so I told her she had to get clothes and shoes on first before we could go. This usually takes a while because she prefers to be as naked as possible. So she jogs to her room and picks up a dress and shoes and immediately lets me put them on her. Then it's back to the door "I go see Ritty," over and over. I felt so bad because we couldn't leave for another 45 minutes or so. When I told her we had to wait on Mommy and baby sister to get dressed and ready, she whined "My Rittyyyyyy." Haha.

*Ricky is the also 2 year old son of one of some of our close friends, and she sees him not only 5 days a week at daycare but also on a lot of weekend/weeknights when we spend time with them. She just really likes playing with him.

• Options
    Seriously what is it with toddlers and being naked

• Options
    I don't know, but my 2 year old just wants to be in only a diaper at all times if given the choice. She wears clothes only because A) She knows we don't leave the house unless she's dressed, and B) Sometimes she wants to wear pretty nightgowns, but i'm convinced that's just because she likes how they look and loves spinning around in circles while wearing them.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Only two and a half weeks left til due date!

What the hell!!!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know, but my 2 year old just wants to be in only a diaper at all times if given the choice. She wears clothes only because A) She knows we don't leave the house unless she's dressed, and B)Sometimes she wants to wear pretty nightgowns, but i'm convinced that's just because she likes how they look and loves spinning around in circles while wearing them.

Its like you kidnapped my daughter. These things are the exact things I experience.

As soon as we get home, the clothes come off because "I'm too hot". Its February and there's a foot and a half of snow on the ground? Fuck it, doesn't matter.

The only acceptable clothes to wear on purpose are nightgowns and "princess dresses". So that she can spin around and cackle insanely at the way they twirl around. Generally after she's climbed on top of something she can fall off of and seriously injure herself during the aforementioned circle spinning.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I can trace my six year old son's steps from the time he got home by following the trail of clothes from the door. He will occasionally wear pjs in the winter, but usually it's just undies. Some kids just don't like clothes.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    We got the nursery finished painting and my new favorite thing is standing in there gawking at how cute everything is. 32 weeks on Tuesday!

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    My wife and I go in to her doctor on Monday for the appointment that determines the gender and I still don't feel like it's real yet. She's asked me on my opinions on everything from cloth diapers to cord blood storage and it doesn't really feel like it's actually happening.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    For me the only dramatic shift in feelings I felt during my wife's pregnancy was when we found out the sex of the baby. It's like you go "Oh, okay. Let me just toss out half of these little fantasies I've been having." It made it way more real for me, but I was a little sad at losing those possibilities.

• Options
    FortyTwo wrote: »

tell me of your majiks

We had some similar stuff recently. We ended up just sticking to the schedule and letting him cry for a few minutes if needed when he was only doing "pay attention to me" cries rather than pain cries. He figured out how to put himself down if he wasn't snoozing from the nighttime nurse.

Other tips:
    make sure it's nice and dark in their room
    make sure they're getting enough to eat
    if they're teething, a pacifier can help loads

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »
    My wife and I go in to her doctor on Monday for the appointment that determines the gender and I still don't feel like it's real yet. She's asked me on my opinions on everything from cloth diapers to cord blood storage and it doesn't really feel like it's actually happening.

Can you feel any movement from outside yet? That was one of the first times it kinda sorta started to sink in for me, but honestly I dont think it felt "real" until we were on our way to the hospital and I was all "Uh.. holy shit, when I drive the other direction home there's going to be an infant in the back seat. MY infant. What the fuck have I done?"

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    It bugs me that my ultrasound lady could tell us the gender, but wouldn't. I guess it's the clinic's policy. Then I feel bad that I really want to know. After all, I shouldn't really care in today's day and age.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think the first time it sort of felt real for me was when I had to move all my stuff in the office and put together the crib. We didn't find out the gender, we had tried for so long and knew he'd be our only kid so we figured we'd let it be a real surprise. It still sometimes strikes me so odd that the person sitting next to me playing video games was partially made by me.

It was a very good thing he was a boy, we had agreed on a boy name but were still battling over girl names.

• Options
    Nursery pics!
    nursery1_1.jpg
    nursery2_1.jpg
    nursery3_1.jpg
    nursery4_1.jpg
    nursery5.jpg

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Yesterday my kid got home from camp, grabbed the iPad, went to his room and started watching Cosmos. It was really cute until he fell asleep and didn't wake up until after 10 and then he wanted dinner.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Nursery pics!
    nursery1_1.jpg
    nursery2_1.jpg
    nursery3_1.jpg
    nursery4_1.jpg
    nursery5.jpg

NO BLANKETS IN THE CRIB.

Sorry, reflex.

This discussion has been closed.