As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam: It's really steamy!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Bethesda need to take a very active hand in curating the workshop. I like paid for mods, it'll help a lot of people who want to get into the industry to make a living, but I'm under no illusions that Valves push to mix community work with money is going to be a shit show early on.

At least for the moment that appears to be the opposite of what they want/plan to do.
    Unlike other curated games on Steam that allow users to sell their creations, this will be the first game with an open market. It will not be curated by us or Valve. It was essential to us that our fans decide what they want to create, what they want to download, and what they want to charge.

http://www.bethblog.com/2015/04/23/skyrim-workshop-now-supports-paid-mods/

You may get age-gated by that for whatever reason, I know I did.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The problem is that as a consumer, there's no upside to this. I don't think it's likely that there were dozens of mod makers who had great ideas but weren't making them because there was no money in it. It decreases the tail on the game, and the fun that people used to have trying a ton of mods out.

As a mod maker, this can only really be a good thing (although I think working for free, voluntarily, is somehow a little less insulting than a 25/75 split) and they can always choose to release their work for free if they want to.

Honestly, if Bethesda want a longer tail on Skyrim, I'd rather they kept making content for it themselves. I'd still be buying it.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm not too worried about Skyrim. There are a ton of quality mods out there already and I can't see many people willing to pay for, say, Pure Weather when they can get Climates of Tamriel for free.

It's Fallout 4 I'm worried about.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think eventually it will help increase mod intercompatibility and long term support, because there are actual stakes now. If the consumer isn't stupid with money, a lot of the "ha neat" mods will go back to being free.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    It does seem like they should have waited for a new game first though.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    It does seem like they should have waited for a new game first though.
    While I agree, they'd then have a Diablo 3 situation.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Luckily I've already got my mods set up exactly how I like it!

I was under the impression that if you had mods that stopped being free they would stop working.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think this might have went over better with a new game that doesn't already have a long history of free open mod support.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

I was under the impression that if you had mods that stopped being free they would stop working.

I think that only applies if you installed them through the Workshop. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism to stop like, Nexus-hosted mods from working like that, if I've read it right.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

I think that only applies if you installed them through the Workshop. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism to stop like, Nexus-hosted mods from working like that, if I've read it right.

oh sure yeah.

• Options
    Maybe bethesda is finally tired of its high shelf life and wants to clear the road for elder scrolls 6

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Another reason for people to use the Nexus. Bravo, Bethesda/Valve.
    Everyone should've been using the Nexus before this, too. It's better in every way.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Everyone should've been using the Nexus before this, too. It's better in every way.

people have already been pulling their stuff from nexus.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This morning the paid mods were around 21-22, down to 18 already. Wonder if it's just that all the ones posted were mostly stolen and not posted by the actual creators

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

people have already been pulling their stuff from nexus.

Yes, but if you already have it, you don't lose it.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    This modding for money idea is going to just mean about 95% of the community doesn't use the mods

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    On the plus side maybe it'll get Bethesda to FIX THEIR FUCKING GAMES INSTEAD OF LETTING MODS FIX A LOT OF SHIT

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    On the plus side maybe it'll get Bethesda to FIX THEIR FUCKING GAMES INSTEAD OF LETTING MODS FIX A LOT OF SHIT

Uhh if they now get to decide whether to put out patches that fix their games, or wait for modders to fix their games after which they stand a chance at getting more money, I'm pretty sure which one they'll choose.

And if the workshop tanks and everyone still gets their mods for free somewhere else, then they're just back where they started

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

It really isn't. Nexus requires me to use their shitty app or install mods individually. Steam is hassle free.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    What Nexus is good for is reading passive aggressive creator meltdowns over the smallest bits of criticism.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Not sure that most major league modders will embrace the system. A lot of modders do these projects to create professional visibility for themselves to get interviews for game jobs... they are portfolio builders. Not profit centers.

IMO this seems like something way more geared toward Hat Fortress or something where artists want to design fancy new item models and sell them for 99 cents... and not people who are writing elaborate new functionalities for games

• Options
    Profit statistics would seem more real to employers, as well as official involvement with 2 major game companies.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I never used Nexus because every time I started to, I had to stop to real tutorials on how to install mods with Nexus. I didn't want to read lessons on mod instalation, I just wanted to play Skyrim. I know I'd be able to learn, I did with Minecraft, but I'm just lazy. As Steam was right there with a simple plug and play mod interface and enough mods for my purposes, I used it

But this may be enough motivation to get me to actually learn how to use Nexus.

Even if it isn't, it will be motivation to remove several mods from my games. I know already my weather mod has a pricetag now, though I don't know how much. But after hearing about what some of the other prices are, I'm pretty sure it's out of the price range I can budget for a mod.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

It really isn't. Nexus requires me to use their shitty app or install mods individually. Steam is hassle free.

There comes a point where if you have a lot of mods and some of them start to conflict, having a manager (either The Nexus' or the other one) helps for troubleshooting. With the Workshop sure it's just click subscribe and that's it, but if a mod breaks something it'll be harder to find out which one.

Basically I think it just comes down to preference of how hands on someone wants to be with the files they are installing. I do like how easy the Workshop is but I haven't used it since a couple weeks after the game came out.

• Options
    http://kotaku.com/paid-skyrim-mod-turns-into-a-clusterfuck-1699913114 this kind of thing is pretty much what I was expecting from the word go.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Valve has built up a very, very, very large store of good-will over time, and I'm wondering if they've burnt through almost all of it.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    They've built up a bunch of "this started out terrible but ended up decent" starting with steam so probably

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, I'm not saying, for instance, that early access is the worst thing in the world, grabble grabble.
    but considering:
    -Worst in industry customer service.
    -Chapeaus
    -The Greenlight swamp
    -Selling games that pretty much don't work.
    -Also, no refunds
    -Monetizing mods
    -Early Access encouraging less than stellar development qualities
    -Generally poor communication about all of the above, and anything else they may or may not be working on.

I'm not really upset, except maybe about the mod thing, and I still really enjoy Steam as a service,you can make a good argument for most of the above. But, I am amused with what they can get away with in the name of empowering the community, as opposed to doing the least amount of work for the most amount of money.

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The no refunds thing is the real fucker

It makes sense, as a broad generality, not to allow refunds for games, because what's stopping someone from buying it beating it returning it

But steam can track your time played!

If someone has put 30 minutes into a game and doesn't want it then what would be the argument against allowing the refund

Well I mean, other than "this is a standard industry practice and changing to a more consumer friendly model would hurt our bottom line so why would we"

• Options
    But mean old EA offers refunds! (Probably because their reputation is terrible, and they have to, but still!)

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    EVERYONE SHUT UP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjxgZRJKd0

COD BLOPS

COD

BLOOOPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSZZZZZZ

III

Brolo on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    also does this just seem like another trailer for Deus Ex

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

No fuckin' kidding.

Unrelated, but Edward Fauxden made me do a lil' spittake with my coffee.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I want to point out what a shitty justification "this is a standard industry practice" is. It's like saying that the only defense for doing it is that the competition does it. Like somehow they're doing the customer a favor. "This is a standard industry practice," doesn't mean they have the entire industry on their side, or even an entire industry will shun them if they give a refund. "Standard industry practice," just means that they don't want to hurt relationships with their game developers.

If you hear that line from any company, hop online and shit talk them on social media. As flooded as the market is, bad game developers who release broken shit have no reason not to be starving in a ditch, nor does steam need to protect them.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

No fuckin' kidding.

Unrelated, but Edward Fauxden made me do a lil' spittake with my coffee.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

And I can't wait to play the game only to find that it sets up one dude (probably your commanding officer) as a total asshole who abuses the new technology so that it can try to say both, "We need to be careful with technology" and "But shooting a bunch of dudes with it is pretty rad, huh?"

I have zero faith in Call of Duty actually tackling its subject that's in any way satisfactory.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I want to point out what a shitty justification "this is a standard industry practice" is. It's like saying that the only defense for doing it is that the competition does it. Like somehow they're doing the customer a favor. "This is a standard industry practice," doesn't mean they have the entire industry on their side, or even an entire industry will shun them if they give a refund. "Standard industry practice," just means that they don't want to hurt relationships with their game developers.

If you hear that line from any company, hop online and shit talk them on social media. As flooded as the market is, bad game developers who release broken shit have no reason not to be starving in a ditch, nor does steam need to protect them.

Oh yeah no I agree

I just meant that from valve's perspective, allowing refunds necessarily represents a financial cost, and because no one else does it (other than origin apparently?) there's no pressure to do it to maintain parity with other sources of competiton. It's not something customers are used to be able to do, so it's not something they're demanding in any major way

Which is totally shitty for customers but hey

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    GOG does it too

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Yeah its really hard to tell customers to stop eating shit for dinner when that's basically all there is.

• Options
    Ok well maybe it's not as industry standard as I thought it was then

that really wasn't the right way to phrase it anyway thinking about it

They don't offer refunds because they don't have reason to believe that refusing refunds is costing them more money than allowing them would

This discussion has been closed.