As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] [Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space] or get eaten by them. Whatever.

InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats.Registered User regular
edited February 2015 in Critical Failures
What is Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space? Well, its a hidden movement game of hide and go seek, where the seekers will tear you limb from limb if they catch you. It takes place on a derelict space ship where half the players have been turned into alien abominations, while the other have are racing towards the escape pods. The catch? The lights are out, and no one knows who is who.

The basic game is played with each player having a map of the area:

default1.jpg
(click to view/download the full map).

And a communal deck of cards that represent the chance for the players to make noises on their way through the ship.

The rules are simple: Aliens can move one or two spaces per turn. Humans can move only one. If you end your move on a white space, that's your turn, and you tell the table that they don't hear anything. However, if you end your space on a grey space, you draw a card. There are 3 cards: Noise in Your Sector, in which case, you have to immediately tell people that they heard a noise coming from your space. Noise in Any Sector, which lets you tell the table that they heard a noise coming from any space of your choice. And Silence, in which you simply say that no one hears anything.

The Aliens begin in the top-middle starting space, that looks like it has an X on it, while the Humans begin on the lower-middle black space, that looks like an open box. Once these spaces are vacated, they can never be entered or passed through again.

The Humans are attempting to make their way to any of the numbered black spaces in the corners, but only the first human to escape is declared the winner. The Aliens win if all the humans are converted into dinner, which they do by revealing themselves by declaring they Attack in a certain space. If there is another player (any number, and human or alien) there, everyone but the attacking Alien is killed and eliminated.

And that's it, for the basic game! No one who drew Alien or Human cards, so besides hunting each other through the dark, you're also trying to figure out who the other people on your "team" actually are, so you don't eat then if you're aliens, and so if you're human you can use false noise to have them chase after the players who aren't you! Bluffing with the Noise Anywhere cards is a big part for both sides.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE RULEBOOK

The basic map can easily handle up to 8 players, so that'll be the cap for this game. We'll be using handtracker to draw the Human/Alien cards, as well as the Noise cards. That means there's no need for a moderator, but also that we need to trust that no one is cheating and looking at the cards played, but given even a real game requires honesty for movement and card drawing, I think we can all handle that.

There won't be a central map image posted or anything like that, as its up to each individual player to track noises and discern patterns. Full table (and trash) talk is allowed.

Post below to sign up, and give your handtracker name so I can add you to the game!

Players:
1. Inksplat
2. The Brayster
3. Hedgethorn
4. ArcSyn
5. stever777
6. AlfredR

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
InkSplat on

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    This sounds pretty neat, I'm game!

handtracker: TheBrayster

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I'll play. I'll set up a handtracker account later today.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Added to the list!

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    This sounds really neat.. but I go on a trip away from my computer in 4 days or so, for about one and a half weeks.
    So I can't play.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'd like to join! I'll have to make a handtracker account.

Edit : hand tracker name : ArcSyn

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Awesome. That's enough that we can play even if no one else joins. But hopefully we can get at least 6.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    I feel like being alien lunch.

hand tracker name : stever777

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    This looks pretty cool. My hand tracker name is AlfredR

• Options
    Awesome. Well, unless anyone has any objections, I'll kick this off and get us started tomorrow morning.

Just need @Hedgethorn 's handtracker name.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Handtracker name: hedgethorn

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Alrighty! Let the games begin. @The Brayster @Hedgethorn @ArcSyn @stever777 @AlfredR

We'll go ahead and do turn order based on sign-up order for this game, as its as good as anything. Go on in to handtracker and draw your role from the role deck. Don't play it, just go ahead and keep it in your hand. And remember, don't go clicking around in activity. After that, if you move into a White space, post "Secured Sector: No Noise. If you move into a grey space, go into handtracker hand "play directly from deck" from the Basic deck. Then post Dangerous Sector: (result here). Results can be Silence, or Noise in either your real location, or any location of your choosing. Obviously, don't distinguish between the real space and the lie. :P

Remember that humans begin the game in the sector that looks like an open box, surrounded by 08s and 09s, and can move only one space, while Aliens begin in the black sector with an X on top, surrounded by K06, L05, and M06, and they can move one or two spaces. If you have any questions before we start, go ahead and ask before you draw your role card so that no one can infer anything from it.

---

I've already drawn my role, so I'll go ahead and make my move now:
    Secured Sector: No Noise.

Dear Aliens: I am not tasty. But the guy coming out the door after me totally smells like tacos. Please devour him instead of me. Thank you for your consideration.

@The Brayster is up next!
    Turn Order:
    1. Inksplat
    2. The Brayster
    3. Hedgethorn
    4. ArcSyn
    5. stever777
    6. AlfredR

InkSplat on
  • Options
    @Hedgethorn If @The Brayster doesn't take his turn soon, feel free to go ahead and @ the person after you. We can pretty easily shift the turn order since its Round 1.

• Options
    I draw my role.
    I move.
    Secured Sector: No noise.

Over to @ArcSyn

• Options
    Secure Sector: No Noise

@stever777

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

@AlfredR

• Options
    Secure Sector: No Noise.

What a nice a peaceful derelict spaceship that smells of tacos.

@InkSplat

• Options
    Oh! Actually @The Brayster I guess!

• Options
    Turn Order:
    1. Inksplat
    2. Hedgethorn
    3. ArcSyn
    4. stever777
    5. AlfredR

6. The Brayster

• Options
    Hey, sorry guys, I didn't realize we'd be starting that quickly.

At the moment it seems like I can't access a role card, I keep getting 'Something went wrong' so I'm gonna need to wait a little while to see if it works.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    @The Brayster Its showing you have a card in your hand. You might have double-clicked it or something, which caused it to not show you the draw screen? Just go to the main page for the game, and it should have a section that says "Hand" with the card in your hand highlighted to the right. That's your role.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Dangerous Sector : Noise: J06

Oh hay guyz

@InkSplat

The Brayster on
  • Options
    Huh. So, apparently the smell of tacos is the smell of Alien Monster. Good to know.

Dangerous Sector: Noise in M10

@Hedgethorn
    Turn Order:
    1. Inksplat
    2. Hedgethorn
    3. ArcSyn
    4. stever777
    5. AlfredR
    6. The Brayster

• Options
    Dangerous Sector: Noise in O6.

@ArcSyn

• Options
    Taco Aliens all up ins, I will be leaving a no-star review on SpaceYelp.

• Options
    Dangerous Sector: Silence

@stever777

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Clearly @ArcSyn is also a Tacolien. Silent but deadly.

• Options

@AlfredR

• Options
    Dangerous Sector: Noise in N6

oh no would you look at that whoops guess all tacoliens should let down their guard and trust me yup for sure

• Options
    @""The Brayster"

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Secure Sector : No Noise

@InkSplat

The Brayster on
  • Options
    Thanks, InkSplat - I didn't realize I'd effed that up

• Options

@Hedgethorn
    Turn Order:
    1. Inksplat
    2. Hedgethorn
    3. ArcSyn
    4. stever777
    5. AlfredR
    6. The Brayster

• Options
    Dangerous Sector:Noise in I8.

• Options
  • Options

@stever777

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Round 3

Dangerous Sector: Noise in J9

@AlfredR

stever777 on

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Round 3

Dangerous Sector: Noise in O8

@The Brayster

AlfredR on
  • Options
    Round 3

Safe Sector : No noise

@InkSplat