As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Webcomics Thread: Still the Worst 1973

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    People who always have to be right do tend to have few people willing to be near them.
    But it's worth it.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Harpy Gee is just too cute jesus

I would not think this would happen after Cucumber Quest but here we are

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I wonder how long it'll be before someone notices that erfworld's archons are Problematic

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    VYaJeUb.png

THIS MADNESS MUST END

http://www.scarygoround.com/

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    2015-03-03-respond.png

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    I wonder how long it'll be before someone notices that erfworld's archons are Problematic

who the what now?

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Chapter20_50.jpg
    You know, this update would had been GREAT for Valentine's Day. Oh wait ...

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    1425291710-GWS1999.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I mean its not like they are in there haphazardly. The fact that most units and especially units created by the tools lack any sort of agency or free will and that this is incredibly disturbing to the main character is a big theme.

Also Charlie is kind of a huge jerk who might even be the true antagonist of the series.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    Zay wrote: »
    I hate the robot

zay

what are you, a robot liker?

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I mean its not like they are in there haphazardly. The fact that most units and especially units created by the tools lack any sort of agency or free will and that this is incredibly disturbing to the main character is a big theme.

Also Charlie is kind of a huge jerk who might even be the true antagonist of the series.

Oh he definitely is.

To those curious, prior to Parson's arrival Erfworld did things in a very orderly fashion. They followed the rules to the letter and never even thought about breaking them. Royals were rulers because of Titan mandate and they were literally their kingdom. If a kingdom fell, or a ruler fell without an heir, the entire thing would literally just vanish into nothing or instantly change to the side that conquered it. So for an undetermined number of years these Royals did whatever they did, building up their side or getting conquered etc.

Then Parson arrived. Parson the Powergamer. He took one look at Erfworld's rules and said, "I wonder what would happen if," and everything went to hell for Erfworld. He abused the rules so completely that a coalition of over five kingdoms were reduced to ash by the end of their battle with him, along with most of a mountain. Parson played dirty, used tricks, and followed the rules to the letter while ignoring the spirit. He staged what-if scenarios to further figure out the exact workings of each unit and their specialties, something no one else in Erfworld aside from maybe Charlie had ever done. This let him exploit everyone who expected battles to be fought a particular way in order to crush them.

It's a pretty good comic, massive hiatus notwithstanding. Lots of "according to keikaku" but it has a bit more impact when you consider that for Parson, if he doesn't pull something out of a hat he's never going home and will quite likely be killed on the spot as a monstrosity.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    1425360911-VIBE178.jpg

Vibe is about a bunch of things

• Options

they do have a sense of self, Phoebe's internal conflict was in an earlier text update

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    They took his spear.

Wrigley was a Stabber, Unaroyal Infantry. Some stabbers had swords, but Wrigley was a Spearman. He was never without his spear. It had popped with him.

But they took it away from him. Somehow, that was all he could think about.
    That, and how he'd never stabbed anything, Not ever. Only in practice. All those turns of practice stabbing an enemy unit, and he had never stabbed one. It wasn't right.

Back when they took this city, Wrigley had been there. From the grand city of Unaroyal where he had long served, they'd first marched him to powerful Unabrow, then to a smaller, uglier town called Unatard. Unatard had just been reclaimed from Gobwin Knob, and the growing Coalition had Lord Stanley's forces on the run, falling back every turn. Not long after that, they had ordered his regiment to a frequently-conquered border outpost called Bohica. From there, they had promised him some real action at Warchalking.
    But the Marbits did most of the work at Warchalking.

The city fell, repelled a counterattack, and Wrigley took up yet another stretch of duty patrolling yet another city wall.

He had been so bored, all his life. Each turn had passed so slowly. Why did they all seem so brief now?

He was on his knees in the mud. His hands were held with the shackles that popped on his wrists the moment Warchalking's Garrison fell.

They had come in so fast, the attackers. Like the gate wasn't even there. The city had no warlord, and his orders were to stand fast, so he did. But Stanley's men were stabbing for the heart, and he was a toe. The Garrison was wiped out almost before he could turn around.
    The Chief Warlord? A high-level Caster? Twelve stacks of heavies, knights, dwagons and Archons? For this dumpy town?

It wasn't fair.

He wanted his spear.

The other infantrymen knelt in the mud in a line to either side of him. They were forbidden to speak or raise their heads. But he stole a glance or two, and he had ears. He knew what was coming.

The Chief Warlord of Gobwin Knob was following the Caster, down the line of prisoners. With them was a knight with a broadsword. They were about three men away from him now.

It was funny. In all of those dull hours, all of that time for thinking, he had never much thought about what his life might mean. He had always assumed he would do great deeds some turn in the future, and that would give his life meaning. But he was out of future. And all he felt about it was something like idle curiosity.

It was said that the Titans took pity on those like him. He would not see the City of Heroes, no. But no man was a failure who had served dutifully, they told him. He heard the man beside him cry out with the blow of a broadsword, and saw him fall forward.

He heard the squelch of footsteps in the mud behind him. He found he didn't much care what was going to happen to him now.

He only wanted to know what would happen to his spear.

re: Erfworld units and how living in a turn based universe isn't much fun

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Judecca has naughty things in it
    1861.jpg

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Post the one after that. The one where
    he gets resurrected

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Post the one after that. The one where
    he gets resurrected

No need to get into the spoilers just yet

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    sfp-5-93-for-web.png

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

Oh he definitely is.

To those curious, prior to Parson's arrival Erfworld did things in a very orderly fashion. They followed the rules to the letter and never even thought about breaking them. Royals were rulers because of Titan mandate and they were literally their kingdom. If a kingdom fell, or a ruler fell without an heir, the entire thing would literally just vanish into nothing or instantly change to the side that conquered it. So for an undetermined number of years these Royals did whatever they did, building up their side or getting conquered etc.

Then Parson arrived. Parson the Powergamer. He took one look at Erfworld's rules and said, "I wonder what would happen if," and everything went to hell for Erfworld. He abused the rules so completely that a coalition of over five kingdoms were reduced to ash by the end of their battle with him, along with most of a mountain. Parson played dirty, used tricks, and followed the rules to the letter while ignoring the spirit. He staged what-if scenarios to further figure out the exact workings of each unit and their specialties, something no one else in Erfworld aside from maybe Charlie had ever done. This let him exploit everyone who expected battles to be fought a particular way in order to crush them.

It's a pretty good comic, massive hiatus notwithstanding. Lots of "according to keikaku" but it has a bit more impact when you consider that for Parson, if he doesn't pull something out of a hat he's never going home and will quite likely be killed on the spot as a monstrosity.

it's canon that the game is tuned so that sides are unstable, being forced to attack neighbours to obtain the level of gold sufficient to maintain upkeep for an army large enough for defense

charlie is hinted to be a metagaming outsider in the same way parson is, too

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    dbmR5rg.png

Zandracon on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Alison looks pretty rad in that new haircut! :)

I wonder if being able to cut her hair at all is due to hair being essentially dead cells and such have lost most of heir "superpowerness"?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Then her skin would be as vulnerable if not more so because that is also just keratin from dead cells.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    That would be just the top layer, no? Though that would make her look like she had gotten a nasty rash after some super-fighting I guess...

• Options
    Sure, but once you get down to the stratum granulosum you start to get blood vessels and that means some bleeding unless her power is impenetrable capillaries.

You can't think too hard about this stuff.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Alison looks pretty rad in that new haircut! :)

I wonder if being able to cut her hair at all is due to hair being essentially dead cells and such have lost most of heir "superpowerness"?

sfp-5-88-for-web.png

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    oo0HTdT.gif

Demon is the hot new NSFW webcomic that all the kids are talking about

• Options
    edited March 2015
    "We could win wars without firing a single bullet, dropping a single bomb, or killing one innocent civilian.

We need a lot of knives though, and that's where you...come in."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    we're still working on that low kill-count thing

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

This is funny, and a source of giggles for my ex when I these.

e_book in spoiler
    The thing that's always made me wonder about Naruto, Street Fighter, X-Men, and much of those other series of extra normal humans is what happens when someone sleepwalks. I've run around the top floor of the house paranoid about fires I never set, Naruto ever wake up to see himself cooking ramen, Wolverine find himself brushing his teeth, Nighcrawler suddenly find himself in the middle of the street with a slushie and a hotdog at 3 am in the morning?

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i'm not sure where to start with that demon

is it the idea that you could eliminate all crime in the world just by doing enough murders, at which point you would, presumably, never have to do a murder again

or is it the cartoon hitler

wait. wait i've figured it out. it's the cartoon hitler

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Poppy tries to get some use out of her eyes' strange ability to change size and shape.
    h3xixom09pta.png
    Note that every avian in Chicadino's operation has the same kind of facial scar.

Absalon on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

is it the idea that you could eliminate all crime in the world just by doing enough murders, at which point you would, presumably, never have to do a murder again

I'm starting to think that one panel is the raison d'etre of Demon.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I'm starting to think that one panel is the raison d'etre of Demon.

All of this was an elaborate plot to get us to see a winking hitler?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    x479.jpg.pagespeed.ic.kKzta1zHZF.jpg

O ho ho I got a better comment about that name!
    WoWScrnShot_060907_100946.jpg

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    meeting.png

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    cMInpGS.jpg
    wT4oMCt.jpg
    ZQ6h1b4.jpg
    Jq9KTXR.jpg

One Punch Man (1 NSFW page) is a Japanese webcomic where someone has revealed their final form.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    jerkcity5877.gif

• Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    sorry about the delay btw I spent most of February recovering from chickenpox

if you're curious about the phantom roman bathers thing, Bearsden is a suburb of Glasgow where the remains of a roman bathhouse was found
    http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/bearsden/romanbaths/

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.