As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superhero Thread - New Avengers Trailer is Out, Shit Looks Dope [Superheroes]

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So some Thor-related details about Age of Ultron released
    He's confirmed to have his whole Loki/Heimdall illusion and it sets up Ragnarok, reportedly. He leaves to scour the realms for a way to defeat Ultron halfway through the movie, which allows him to take a wide view ofnthe MCU cosmos which is where he notices Thanos has been making some power plays for the first time. He and Vision have a fistfight which confirms Vision is gonna keep his powerhouse status from the comics which is dope.
    now envisioning Poochie's I must go my people need me with Thor bifrosting away

Tamin on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    So some Thor-related details about Age of Ultron released
    He's confirmed to have his whole Loki/Heimdall illusion and it sets up Ragnarok, reportedly. He leaves to scour the realms for a way to defeat Ultron halfway through the movie, which allows him to take a wide view ofnthe MCU cosmos which is where he notices Thanos has been making some power plays for the first time. He and Vision have a fistfight which confirms Vision is gonna keep his powerhouse status from the comics which is dope.
    now envisioning Poochie's I must go my people need me with Thor bifrosting away

Note: Thor died on the way back to his home planet.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTQZykJP23g

Wow, heard this was going to happen but I didn't realize it aired a couple of days ago.

They canceled the right show.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    If by right show you mean the show that was way better and shouldn't have been canceled

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    After watching that vid I watch a link to a Young Justice video featuring Batman defending Captain Marvel/Shazam and why he trained Robin.

I should get around to watching that show one day.

From the same episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlK_CcCDEK8

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I love Guy Gardner.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Finally got around to catching up on the Ultimate Universe. Read Cataclysm and then Ultimate FF. Wow was Ultimate FF just plain bad. Almost entertainingly so (almost.)

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    What are the good FF series?

I think they are about the only mainline team that I have never been able to get into.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I think they are about the only mainline team that I have never been able to get into.
    Read Hickman's run.

Waid's run is also fantastic but a bit harder to find and there are fans of Byrne's run. Lee/Kirby is the original and lauded for a reason but only if you can dig reading comics from the 60s (personally I can't but can recognize their importance) then you'll love it.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Read Hickman's run.

Waid's run is also fantastic but a bit harder to find and there are fans of Byrne's run. Lee/Kirby is the original and lauded for a reason but if you can dig reading comics from the 60s (personally I can't but can recognize their importance) then you'll love it.

This is a small part of why I love Hickman's run, beside it just being insanely good stories, is that I finally have an easy to suggest series for the Fantastic Four

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Finally got around to catching up on the Ultimate Universe. Read Cataclysm and then Ultimate FF. Wow was Ultimate FF just plain bad. Almost entertainingly so (almost.)

Don't bother with All New Ultimates. Such potential wasted.

• Options

Already bought the first volume, so too late there.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Waid's FF is the best for people new to the series in my opinion, but Hickman's is definitely superior in scope and vision.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Do you have birds that need cage linings? Use All New Ultimates before wasting newspaper

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    All New Ultimates kind of annoys me because most of those characters were great in Ultimate Spiderman.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Read Hickman's run.

Waid's run is also fantastic but a bit harder to find and there are fans of Byrne's run. Lee/Kirby is the original and lauded for a reason but only if you can dig reading comics from the 60s (personally I can't but can recognize their importance) then you'll love it.

Simonson's run is also great. Eighteen issues with two fill-ins of decidely inferior quality in the middle, but it goes balls out and never stops.

First an acts of Vengeance tie-in where the Fantastic Four argue against superhero registration and fight off everyone's Z list villains at the same time. Then the run actually kicks off. Five issue arc featuring:

THOR!
    IRON MAN!
    DEATH'S HEAD!
    KANGS, KANGS, KANGS!
    GALACTUS!
    THE DREAMING CELESTIAL!
    and
    THE ULTIMATE NULLIFIER!

It spins directly into a fight with ALTERNATE UNIVERSE ROBOSTALIN, then they run into AN ISLAND OF DINOSAURS, and after they get home they get kidnapped by Skrulls and Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Wolverine and Hulk are the NEW Fantastic Four, and just when they're catching their breath after that?

DOOM comes back!

Seriously, don't miss it.

• Options
    Waid's FF is the best for people new to the series in my opinion, but Hickman's is definitely superior in scope and vision.
    Waid's is really fucking good, but is out of print and kinda hard to find. Amazon has the whole run in stock but Vol. 2 and 3 only have 2 and 4 copies left respectively.

If the run is up on marvel unlimited then that would make it easier

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Read Hickman's run.

Simonson's run is also great. Eighteen issues with two fill-ins of decidely inferior quality in the middle, but it goes balls out and never stops.

First an acts of Vengeance tie-in where the Fantastic Four argue against superhero registration and fight off everyone's Z list villains at the same time. Then the run actually kicks off. Five issue arc featuring:

THOR!
    IRON MAN!
    DEATH'S HEAD!
    KANGS, KANGS, KANGS!
    GALACTUS!
    THE DREAMING CELESTIAL!
    and
    THE ULTIMATE NULLIFIER!

It spins directly into a fight with ALTERNATE UNIVERSE ROBOSTALIN, then they run into AN ISLAND OF DINOSAURS, and after they get home they get kidnapped by Skrulls and Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Wolverine and Hulk are the NEW Fantastic Four, and just when they're catching their breath after that?

DOOM comes back!

Seriously, don't miss it.

A good chunk of that run was recently released as Fantastic Four Epic Collection.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

Do you have birds that need cage linings? Use All New Ultimates before wasting newspaper

It's better than Ultimate FF!

Well... a little better. At least readable. I mean, it's certainly not worse!

If nothing else, you can then join everyone else in boggling over how you manage to fill a team with beloved characters and utterly and completely waste them on whatever the fuck that entire arc was.

I still love every single member of the New Ultimates. I really don't understand how they managed to screw that up.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTQZykJP23g

Wow, heard this was going to happen but I didn't realize it aired a couple of days ago.

They canceled the right show.

Nope. What I've seen of Teen Titans Go has been pretty funny and super clever, but it's not a superhero show. Which is fine and all, but Young Justice was crazy good.

If you watched the whole series and got to the finale and thought "yeah I'm okay with this ending" then you just got some bad opinions

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    that teen titans clip is great, though. Cyborg/Beast Boy Voltron dinosaur needs to be in the comics like, yesterday

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The modern F4 runs to read are Hickman (obvs) and Waid

before that Simonson and Lee/Kirby

• Options
    Turns out Waids run is on Unlimited and I am re reading it right now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't think Waid's whole run is on Unlimited last I checked? Some of it is, but not all.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Teen Titans Go is OK but isn't as funny as the original Teen Titans.

Also, it doesn't do the whole "humor that kids don't quite get but adults will understand" thing very well, especially with Robin. Robin is way too much of a obsessive stalker over Starfire and they play it off too silly and childish that it's kind of creepy.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Waid's is really fucking good, but is out of print and kinda hard to find. Amazon has the whole run in stock but Vol. 2 and 3 only have 2 and 4 copies left respectively.

c0MTrfp.jpg

8-)

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I don't think Waid's whole run is on Unlimited last I checked? Some of it is, but not all.

Yeah, I don't think it has the issues before it went back to the original numbering for #500

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    young justice is the best superhero cartoon

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Yeah, I don't think it has the issues before it went back to the original numbering for #500
    Nah it does, I just read them

It's super out of order though on the series page so you have to dig around but they are there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Having finished Rom: Spaceknight, I really want to see this dude pop back up again. What in gods name is Hasbro doing with the friggen' trademark?

• Options
    Mark Waid probably writes the best Ben Grimm I've read. And he's one of my favorite characters so that's saying something. For reference this scene comes after Doom held Franklin captive in Hell for a while and Franklin is in shock and thinks he's still in Hell and that everyone except for his family are demons. Sue tried the usual mom tactic of assuring him everything's gonna be okay and he'll always be safe but Ben knew Franklin was too smart for that.
    IHxmK1S.jpg?1
    oj4NdDT.jpg?1
    weBn9Q5.jpg?1

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

c0MTrfp.jpg

8-)

Looks like you're missing a volume pal

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

c0MTrfp.jpg

8-)

The first hardcover volume was split into two paperbacks friendo

• Options

c0MTrfp.jpg

8-)

Well I didn't know that compadre

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    jesus y'all should just make out already meine freunde

• Options

c0MTrfp.jpg

8-)

Well I didn't know that compadre

Consider yourself educated mon ami

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Huntera wrote: »
    jesus y'all should just make out already meine freunde

Please respect our boundaries 我的朋友

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh great, who invited Gambit?

• Options
    In preparation for my overnight shift tonight and knowing I'll need shit to do on my phone for a few hours I bought all 35 issues of the Infinite Crisis digital comic which I've heard really good things about, and given that it is written by Dan Abnett that seems to check out.

Looking forward to it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also man Marvel is so dumb about digital series

2.99 for an issue that is the same length as DC's .99 issues

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.